Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Veteran Member Four Rings whartung's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Re: Huper Optik 30% Installed, too dark?

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I've got 20% on my side windows and 15% on just the rear window. Not Huber, of course.

I've been pulled over twice for tint in two different states and I've talked my way out of both of them. I just told the officers that I apologize for the darkness, but it is in fact legal in California. They ate it right up, and let me on my way.

Those incidents, of course, were out of California. In LA, my solution to my dark tint is that I just never roll my front windows up. Works like a charm
    2005.5 Sprint Blue Pearl Audi S4 Sedan 6MT
    Corsa w/ 12" Resonators - Vogt GT's - Trexturk Catless Downpipes - JHM Tuned - JHM SS - JHM Intake Spacers - JHM/Apikol Rear Differential Mount - JHM LWCP - K&N - RS4 Sway - Blackout Grille - ClearCornered and Blackedout Headlights - Xeonmatch - ECS Snub

Veteran Member Four Rings cellg8's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by whartung View Post
    In LA, my solution to my dark tint is that I just never roll my front windows up. Works like a charm
    so no A/C for you when you're driving in LA? wow...must be really hot!
    2014 RS5 Sepang Blue / GMG springs / Eurocode UCA / H&R 10mm spacers / Ti Grille / Euro Headlights / OEM CF Engine Cover
    2008 B7 S4 Sprint Blue / Stasis Ohlins SL / ADV10 Trackspec 20x8.5 ET 28 + 245/30/20

'14 B8 RS5:
    http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...571715-RS5-20F

'08 B7 S4:
    http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...uot-ADV1-B7-S4

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by cellg8 View Post
    so no A/C for you when you're driving in LA? wow...must be really hot!
    never ever use the AC. Only problem is I roll my windows up and down SO often that my tint is starting to get scratches in it
    Corsa w/ 12" Resonators - Vogt GT's - Trexturk Catless Downpipes - JHM Tuned - JHM SS - JHM Intake Spacers - JHM/Apikol Rear Differential Mount - JHM LWCP - K&N - RS4 Sway - Blackout Grille - ClearCornered and Blackedout Headlights - Xeonmatch - ECS Snub

Veteran Member Four Rings RAudi Driver's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Ohhhhhh, you'll be using it today. It's like 100 degrees out.

Veteran Member Four Rings Retsujou's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    08 RS4 Tit/Exec/Prem/Carbon

Quote Originally Posted by RS4 Jedi View Post
    I'm so sick of people who are scared of dark tint. These forums are specially bad, to the OP, that looks really good.

I have 5% ALL around, and thats what makes MY car look better than any other stock black B7.
    It also makes it a lot less safe to be on the road with you at night.

Account Terminated Four Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2007 S4 MT6; B8 A4 2.0T Avant

30 is definitely dark and nice and tough looking
    50 is very subtle and looks almost like OEM for those with tint laws
    40 looks like a happy median

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #

There is a slight factory tint, so those of you putting 30 on if that is the legal limit you might be into the 20s if a cop actually measures it. Just FYI. I'm going to look into 40 Huper in hopes it stays under 30.

Veteran Member Three Rings ABT B7's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    MB C350 4M

What series of the huper is it?
    Mods: 15% Tint 19" Vellano VSi LED License Plate Lights + City Lights+ Interior Neuspeed Catback Oettinger Roof Spoiler Painted Reflectors + Rear Valance 5000K HID Fog 6700K D1S JHM SS TTRS Steering Wheel Apikol rear diff mount JHM Intake Spacers JOM LED Tail Lights AWE Down Pipe Pzero Nero 245/35/19, JHM LW Rotors Akebono Euro Pads StopTech SS Lines JHM Tuned Full Oettinger Kit KW V3
    Future: JHM Pulley+ IM+ Stg1 S/C

Veteran Member Four Rings Jupiteraudi's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    01 S4 Avant 6spd, 08 S4 DTM pkg.

Hey Joe,

I have 15% all around, and 75% on the windshield, I couldn't be happier. The shop that did the work uses Formula One/Llumar (The Optik I'm sure is better) and Llumar has a film called UV shield, which is essentially undetectable, blocks a certain amount of heat
    (20%) and all UV rays. I also wear polarized sunglasses and have not been able to detect the film on the windshield.

Now one thing I should point out, for the state of Florida, I have a form that is titled application for sun-screening medical exemption. This form can be used for individuals that require limited exposure to sunlight. I had my eye doctor sign off on this one ie: prone to headaches due to the sun, which is bs and why sunglasses were invented but you get the picture.

Veteran Member Four Rings Jupiteraudi's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    01 S4 Avant 6spd, 08 S4 DTM pkg.

Here, sorry for the red x

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B7 S4 25quattro/DTM

Quote Originally Posted by Jupiteraudi View Post
    Hey Joe,

I have 15% all around, and 75% on the windshield, I couldn't be happier. The shop that did the work uses Formula One/Llumar (The Optik I'm sure is better) and Llumar has a film called UV shield, which is essentially undetectable, blocks a certain amount of heat
    (20%) and all UV rays. I also wear polarized sunglasses and have not been able to detect the film on the windshield.

Now one thing I should point out, for the state of Florida, I have a form that is titled application for sun-screening medical exemption. This form can be used for individuals that require limited exposure to sunlight. I had my eye doctor sign off on this one ie: prone to headaches due to the sun, which is bs and why sunglasses were invented but you get the picture.

^looks nice!
    I had Formula One on my A4, and it's really good stuff too, just wanted to see what the hype was about for the Huper. I'll look into that sun-screening medical exemption with my doctor, it might save me some hassle!

Quote Originally Posted by ABT B7 View Post
    What series of the huper is it?
    You know what I'm not EXACTLY sure. I know it's either the X3 or Ceramic series and the X3 is the only one that comes in 30. I went to SONG'S TINT MASTERS who are supposedly the only licensed vendors in Socal and they didn't give me a choice.

Any Socalers know?
    Joe - Moderator

///BMW F30 328i Sport

Audi B7S4 25quattro/DTM
    #33 of 250

Subaru Forester 2.5X Limited

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by RAudi Driver View Post
    Ohhhhhh, you'll be using it today. It's like 100 degrees out.
    you grew up around her ed. if its 100 out by you then its only about 90 over by me. perfect weather for the windows to be down.

But, I do hope it cools down soon. You wouldn't happen to be in the loop at the weather channel and know how soon that might be, would you?

I dont want this to get off topic. Car looks great. I wish I could get some Huber Optic on my car. But frankly, I dont know if it looks 350 dollars better than my current tint.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B7 S4 25quattro/DTM

I dont want this to get off topic. Car looks great. I wish I could get some Huber Optic on my car. But frankly, I dont know if it looks 350 dollars better than my current tint.
    It's less about looks than the heat reduction from the ceramic element in the Formula One and Huper Optik. Looks wise I don't notice any much difference other than you can go lighter and still get better heat reduction than a darker conventional tint.
    Joe - Moderator

///BMW F30 328i Sport

Audi B7S4 25quattro/DTM
    #33 of 250

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by JMG View Post
    It's less about looks than the heat reduction from the ceramic element in the Formula One and Huper Optik. Looks wise I don't notice any much difference other than you can go lighter and still get better heat reduction than a darker conventional tint.
    exactly. 350 dollar difference doesnt quite seem worth it to me when I could just roll down the windows for 30 seconds and any heat i have in excess of huber optics is gone...

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    E60 M5, VW Tiguan 4Motion Gone: 996TT stage 3, E46 M3, B6 S4

i am hoping the huper helps preserve my interior better since i park my car outside at work

Veteran Member Four Rings FastB7S4's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    12 CC Lux Ltd, 11 Touareg, Mk3.5 Cabrio

exactly. 350 dollar difference doesnt quite seem worth it to me when I could just roll down the windows for 30 seconds and any heat i have in excess of huber optics is gone...
    what about the times when you are driving and the sun is beating down on the driver side and your left side is burning up? don't you wish you could roll up your window for some relief? or if you don't have tint and/or huper, and you have your windows up with the ac on, but the sun is still beating down on the driver side. i'm sure with huper, that's exactly what you get, relief from the hot sun.
    /S4
    AWE l Koni l H&R l Hotchkis l VMR l LEDs by fly

Veteran Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    07 RS4,07 MKX,05Softail

Quote Originally Posted by drew View Post
    i am hoping the huper helps preserve my interior better since i park my car outside at work
    DITTO! And my skin, it takes a lot longer than 30 seconds for my shifter too cool off :). Plus, I use one of those front sunshade things which helps (not perfect though because there are still the side windows), BUT putting in that windshield shade sucks because I have a hardwired 9500xi that I have to remove to upt it up, not only so the shade will fit but also so that my 9500xi will not melt :). With a windshield tint, that would be EXCELLENT if I didn't need to do all of that anymore and my RD would be safe from melting! That may not happen though, not sure if I have a shop here that will do the windshield (hell I don't know if there is a place that will do the huber, 2 years ago there wasn't withing a few hundred miles).

Established Member Two Rings PBallard's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Went with 15%. Love dark windows I just thought 5% would be wayy to dark. Wraped everything with 15% except the windshield. About to go back and put a strip across the top with Infared on the windshield.

Brilliant Black B6 S4
    JHM Flash, JHM/FI Dowpipes [Gutted], JHM/FI Catback, Rotiform BLQ's, 15% Tint

JHMotorsports

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by FastB7S4 View Post
    what about the times when you are driving and the sun is beating down on the driver side and your left side is burning up? don't you wish you could roll up your window for some relief? or if you don't have tint and/or huper, and you have your windows up with the ac on, but the sun is still beating down on the driver side. i'm sure with huper, that's exactly what you get, relief from the hot sun.
    then i just lean really far to my right

In all seriousness, driving back from so cal euro i was having that exact problem. my left arm and the left side of my face was getting burned on the drive back north. I made an exception to my rule and spent half the drive with my windows up. My tint must be special or something because as soon as my 20% is in between the sun and me I wasn't overheating at all. My arm didnt even end up getting burned. so worth $350 more than my current tint? nope. not to me.

The worst is the moonroof in my old cars used to give me sunburns on top of my head. My S4 has got the moonroof delete. Its perfect.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    MB C350 4M

To OP, that's actually just right. Not too dark at all. It looks really good! I would like to try the 20% one myself but I am not sure how double layers work.
    Mods: 15% Tint 19" Vellano VSi LED License Plate Lights + City Lights+ Interior Neuspeed Catback Oettinger Roof Spoiler Painted Reflectors + Rear Valance 5000K HID Fog 6700K D1S JHM SS TTRS Steering Wheel Apikol rear diff mount JHM Intake Spacers JOM LED Tail Lights AWE Down Pipe Pzero Nero 245/35/19, JHM LW Rotors Akebono Euro Pads StopTech SS Lines JHM Tuned Full Oettinger Kit KW V3

Veteran Member Four Rings vintagespin's Avatar
    AZ Member #

has no one gotten huper 60%?

AZ Member #
    My Garage

In LA, my solution to my dark tint is that I just never roll my front windows up. Works like a charm
    he's not kidding

AZ Member #
    My Garage

wait...so you're saying

1. I want super dark, but super cheap
    2. to avoid the cops, I have the windows down (thus defeating the purpose of tinting the windows at all)
    3. in light of my cop avoidance, my window tint is getting scratched up

this makes no sense

Huper Optik 40% would offer you sun protection, heat protection, privacy and cop-ticket protection as it's pretty subtle...and it would cost around $400 installed...or about the cost of doing 2 cheap tint jobs, which you'll inevitably have to do since your fronts are starting to shab up

do it right once, I say

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    MB C350 4M

Quote Originally Posted by sakimano View Post
    wait...so you're saying

1. I want super dark, but super cheap
    2. to avoid the cops, I have the windows down (thus defeating the purpose of tinting the windows at all)
    3. in light of my cop avoidance, my window tint is getting scratched up

this makes no sense

Huper Optik 40% would offer you sun protection, heat protection, privacy and cop-ticket protection as it's pretty subtle...and it would cost around $400 installed...or about the cost of doing 2 cheap tint jobs, which you'll inevitably have to do since your fronts are starting to shab up

do it right once, I say
    Some people just can't justify spending that much on tints. Oh wellz~~ I would do it over and over again even if I get pulled over that many times.

Veteran Member Three Rings Whatset's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B7, TT, 986, AP1, F350

but I am not sure how double layers work.
    What do you want to know?

• Double layers are fine. I would say that when you see a limo in the daytime that you really can't see into at all it is most likely doubled up.

• Whatever the base layer or 1st layer looks like is what it will continue to look like from the outside, just darker or the traits become more prominent i.e. silvery or bluish etc. Make sure you have complimentary front/rear base layer for continuity.

• If using multiple tint products I would lay my best tint first. I.E. the ceramic extrusion or Huper.

This rear window is double tinted. Driver door is single.

Front 2 windows are single layer 20, all 5 rear windows are the same 20 layer then a 5. (This ceramic tint is super reflective, note how you cannot see through the fronts in this shot, but compare to how light they look in the above shot.)

Doubling up works best on static windows, but can work on moving ones as well. The varieties of tint come in different thicknesses so be careful when doubling up not to exceed the tolerances of free motion in the window. Cars differ on these tolerances, our Audis are pretty tight and if you go too thick you will exacerbate the scoring issue whartung is experiencing.

BTW, all brand names aside - dyed film<junk metal extrusion film<precious metal extrusion film (not common now)<modern ceramic extrusion film

All films fail over time there is no end all solution, look for an installer with a lifetime warranty. Backing glue, substrate, dye and extrusion layers are all prone to fail, it could be de-lamination, loss of adhesion, scoring, or color shift. Dyed films tend to turn purple over time, the metal extrusion films turn greenish, my jury is still out on the ceramics - I've had 'em on for 8ish months now and see no signs of degradation yet.

Also - there are a limited number of machines capable of making these products. One key in manufacturing is creating an equal layer of dye or extrusion from the beginning of the roll to the end. The tint brands have varying levels of QA. The more expensive the brand the higher the QA standards. The best guys reject more film than the bargain brands and their materials have better capabilities.
    Last edited by Whatset; 07-16-2009 at 09:33 AM.

Veteran Member Four Rings FastB7S4's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    12 CC Lux Ltd, 11 Touareg, Mk3.5 Cabrio

^ great post!
    /S4
    AWE l Koni l H&R l Hotchkis l VMR l LEDs by fly

Veteran Member Four Rings vintagespin's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Whatset View Post
    Doubling up works best on static windows, but can work on moving ones as well. The varieties of tint come in different thicknesses so be careful when doubling up not to exceed the tolerances of free motion in the window. Cars differ on these tolerances, our Audis are pretty tight and if you go too thick you will exacerbate the scoring issue whartung is experiencing.
    my friend has an acura tl type-s and he had his windows tinted (single layer only) but the tint shop he went to said that acura has really tight rollers or whatever is within the door, so they took his stock ones out and replaced them with aftermarket ones so that he wouldn't have any scoring.

Veteran Member Three Rings pcasso87's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2011 Q7 TDI, 2011 A4 2.0TQ, 2009 RAM, 1996 240 SX

Im going with huper 60 , black car, black interior will make it look like a 50%
    l 2013 Scion FR-S l 2011 E92 ///M3 l 2011 Audi A4 2.0TQ l 1997 E-420 Sport l 2007 Ram 1500 4X4 l

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    MB C350 4M

Thanks for the response, that answered almost all my questions regarding double layer.

So double layer for Huper is more like a Limo tint then? It's hard to get a comparison because of the angle of that picture from the back. Do you have another one you can share?

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B7, TT, 986, AP1, F350

Thanks for the response, that answered almost all my questions regarding double layer.

So double layer for Huper is more like a Limo tint then? It's hard to get a comparison because of the angle of that picture from the back. Do you have another one you can share?
    Sure no problem. Double layer Huper would be like Limo tint in that it is doubled up, but the similarities prob. end there. This is the way I understand it. Different tints hit different focuses or markets. Privacy tint focuses on darkness or opacity and have a lower apparent visibility. This is the type of tint favored for blacking out a vehicle. Huper type film focuses on ray reflection. Huper appears to allow more visible light to pass through because it is not blocking as much light while blocking the bad rays like heat. These tint laminates are graded on a percentage of ray transmission. Doubling works like this: First layer 50%, second layer 50% of what is left. So two layers of 50 would in effect become a 25. If you went 50, 30 then it would be about a 15. In my case, rear end 20% & 5% so about a 1%.

When you double, you can chose a different material for their qualities and get the best of both worlds.

Only one more relevant pic on hand. It is from the front, but you can see the darkness of the 1% rear. These are old shots, I will have some new ones in the coming weeks. Car is away still but if you want I can shoot a rear window shot for you when I get it back. I’ll even open up the rears so you can see through.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

guess that's a fact of life in Arizona

I wish we had that problem!

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B7, TT, 986, AP1, F350

I'll make you a deal saki - lets go halfsies!

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Whatset View Post
    I'll make you a deal saki - lets go halfsies!
    on weather? sure thing. Tell the weather network to make it happen.

Veteran Member Four Rings Sharkfin's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B7 A4 2.0TQT
    Items for Sale

Looks good JMG, I have 35% "regular" tint on my silver B7 and I think it's too light. It has also gotten scratched up over time because of particles in the window opening. I'm going to get it done again in a month or so and I'm going 10-20% this time. Maybe I should find some Huper...

-B7 Audi DTM is for sale! -$9500

-17" OZ Ultraleggeras w/ all-season tires- $700:

-Custom sub box with amp for B6/B7 - $150:

-17" Moda Wheels with 245/45/17 Blizzaks- perfect winter set - $500

*Classifieds: http://www.audizine.com/forum/classifieds.php?p[accountid]=18456

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B7 S4 25quattro/DTM

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkfin View Post
    Looks good JMG, I have 35% "regular" tint on my silver B7 and I think it's too light. It has also gotten scratched up over time because of particles in the window opening. I'm going to get it done again in a month or so and I'm going 10-20% this time. Maybe I should find some Huper...
    Dude, I love the Huper! If you can't find it I also highly recommend Forumula One, which I had on my A4 with excellent results.
    Joe - Moderator

///BMW F30 328i Sport

Audi B7S4 25quattro/DTM
    #33 of 250

Veteran Member Four Rings Retsujou's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    08 RS4 Tit/Exec/Prem/Carbon

Well mine ended up being 30% Hueper (not Huper ) Optik. Review including pictures is here http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=298727

Forum Moderator Four Rings SoCalS4Avant's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Retsujou View Post
    Well mine ended up being 30% Hueper (not Huper ) Optik. Review including pictures is here http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=298727
    Really? http://www.huperoptikusa.com/ or http://www.huperoptik.com/
    Dan - Moderator/Wiseguy

People are stupid. It's a fact. It's science. - tankdeer

Nothing makes me happier than the fact that your motive is based on spite, revenge, and regret. Well done sir. A tip of the hat to you. - tankdeer

Better be careful. That's the kind of car that can get people pregnant. -Jermunji

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalS4Avant View Post
    U with dots = UE = 'you' phonetically

interestingly, the company is Singapore based

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B7 S4 25quattro/DTM

interesting.. i learned something new today!
    Joe - Moderator

///BMW F30 328i Sport

Audi B7S4 25quattro/DTM
    #33 of 250

Forum Moderator Four Rings SoCalS4Avant's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Why not just do ΓΌ instead of ue?

Just fooling 'cause I'm bored.
    Dan - Moderator/Wiseguy

People are stupid. It's a fact. It's science. - tankdeer

Nothing makes me happier than the fact that your motive is based on spite, revenge, and regret. Well done sir. A tip of the hat to you. - tankdeer

Better be careful. That's the kind of car that can get people pregnant. -Jermunji

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast