Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Established Member Two Rings sailfast's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '11 B8 S4 / '83 380 SL /
    Items for Sale

Replacing B7 S4 Grille w/ RS4 Style Mesh, help!

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I would appreciate any advice on how I can replace my stock B7 S4 grille with an RS4 style mesh grille. I know it can be done but my attempts have failed. I bought a replacement from Eurosport Garage (don't ever buy anything from them!) and was assured it would fit. Well, it didn't and their explanation is because all the '08 B7 S4 have S-line bumpers which will not accommodate a grille swap.

I have also inquired directly with Audi and they also tell me that you can't fit a mesh grille to my car. Yet, there are pictures on previous threads with the mesh grille on an '08 B7 S4.

Can someone please tell me what direction to head. Many thanks!!!

Veteran Member Three Rings VR2V8's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Re: Replacing B7 S4 Grille w/ RS4 Style Mesh, help!

Do you have the standard S4 bumper or the DTM bumper? If you aren't sure, you'll need to post a picture for more help.

If you have the standard S4 bumper, you CAN swap in the RS4 grille. If this is the bumper you have, your dealer/shop is full of crap or flat out lied to you if they said an RS4 grille won't fit.

If you have the DTM bumper, the RS4 grille will only fit with a lot of cutting and glueing.

So, judging from the fact that you said it didn't fit, I'd have to say that you have the DTM bumper. That means you can only use DTM, 25th Anniversary, or any grille made to fit a standard A4........or you got lied to and they didn't even try to install it.
    Last edited by VR2V8; 07-10-2009 at 01:40 PM.
    2013 S4: P+, DSG, Ice Silver, Black/Black Alcantara, Nav, SD, B&O, Advanced Key, Carbon, Peelers

Akebono Ceramics, AWE Boost Gauge, AWE/GIAC Stage 2 + DSG, AWE Exhaust & Res. DP's, Black Optics Grille, Deval CF Lip & Diffuser, Ecodes, Eurocode Alu Kreuz, Eurocode Sways & Endlinks, Euro Visors, Folding Mirrors, H&R OE Springs, Hoen Xenonmatch Fogs, Ocarbon Dash Trim, Retrofit Labs Signals, Roc-Euro Intake, Underseat Bins, Warning Triangle

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '11 B8 S4 / '83 380 SL /
    Items for Sale

Thanks. This is obviously not the whole bumper but should hopefully give you enough to see what I'm dealing with. Ignore the vertical chrome strips between the grille foils. They were an earlier attempt at enhancement but with nothing to back them, they started to fall off so I removed them all.

Your input will be very welcome.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '11 B8 S4 / '83 380 SL /
    Items for Sale

Here's a better picture. Audi broke the rings during their while attempting to fit the replacement grille I purchased from eurosport. BTW - the eurosport grill definitely does not fit. the lower portion of the grill is half the height of what you see here.

Veteran Member Three Rings SLYCAT's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Don't know if this will help, but it will give you an idea on how to swap them out.

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=287499
    The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves!!!!

Veteran Member Four Rings whartung's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by SLYCAT View Post
    Don't know if this will help, but it will give you an idea on how to swap them out.

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=287499
    hell no. do not listen to this post. this is not what you need to do.

you have an s-line bumper, so the RS4 grille is a direct swap for your S4 grille. Many people on here have done this. I have swapped grilles, only i did a blackout one instead of the RS4 grille.

All you have to do is remove the front bumper following one of the many DIY's found on this site, and on the inside of the bumper you will find about a dozen screws that hold the grille in place. Remove, switch, reassemble, and its done.
    2005.5 Sprint Blue Pearl Audi S4 Sedan 6MT
    Corsa w/ 12" Resonators - Vogt GT's - Trexturk Catless Downpipes - JHM Tuned - JHM SS - JHM Intake Spacers - JHM/Apikol Rear Differential Mount - JHM LWCP - K&N - RS4 Sway - Blackout Grille - ClearCornered and Blackedout Headlights - Xeonmatch - ECS Snub

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '11 B8 S4 / '83 380 SL /
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by whartung View Post
    hell no. do not listen to this post. this is not what you need to do.

you have an s-line bumper, so the RS4 grille is a direct swap for your S4 grille. Many people on here have done this. I have swapped grilles, only i did a blackout one instead of the RS4 grille.

All you have to do is remove the front bumper following one of the many DIY's found on this site, and on the inside of the bumper you will find about a dozen screws that hold the grille in place. Remove, switch, reassemble, and its done.
    Thanks. Sorry if you just got this quick reply. I didn't hit post and moved on so I don't think you got it.

Why is Audi so adamant that the RS4 grille will not fit??? Can you please point me to one of the DIYs on the site for the swap. Also, I would love to see what you did for the blackout grille, as I might go that direction instead. Do you have a link?
    Thanks

Account Terminated Four Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2010 Ford Edge AWD

Quote Originally Posted by sailfast View Post
    Thanks. Sorry if you just got this quick reply. I didn't hit post and moved on so I don't think you got it.

Why is Audi so adamant that the RS4 grille will not fit??? Can you please point me to one of the DIYs on the site for the swap. Also, I would love to see what you did for the blackout grille, as I might go that direction instead. Do you have a link?
    Thanks
    Like other members before me have said. The Rs4 grille WILL fit.
    The grille you ordered from Eurosport must have not been a Rs4 grille.
    Order the correct grille and you will not have an issue.
    You can also order the blacked out version of the s4 grille which is the route I had gone on my s4.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '11 B8 S4 / '83 380 SL /
    Items for Sale

Looks great. I think I am going to go with BO vs. RS4. You and Whartung have convinced me.

Veteran Member Four Rings whartung's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Here

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=234915

Thread I started a while back after I did my swap. It should have most of the information you need to make your decision and swap out your grille.

The one thing to keep in mind is that the pictures of my completed grille look a little funny because I mounted my bumper wrong, so the gap in between the hood and the bumper is about half an inch larger than it should be. But that's just me being anal.
    2005.5 Sprint Blue Pearl Audi S4 Sedan 6MT
    Corsa w/ 12" Resonators - Vogt GT's - Trexturk Catless Downpipes - JHM Tuned - JHM SS - JHM Intake Spacers - JHM/Apikol Rear Differential Mount - JHM LWCP - K&N - RS4 Sway - Blackout Grille - ClearCornered and Blackedout Headlights - Xeonmatch - ECS Snub

Established Member Two Rings btek's Avatar
    AZ Member #

in case you want to view another example of an rs4 grille, I did it to my S4 as well.

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=270970
    Carlos

2013 CTS-V Wagon
    Gone but not forgotten
    08 S4 Avant
    (FI Res CB, RS4 Black Grille, Fog light grille mod, Hoen Fogs,V1, JHM Goodies!)
    05 X5 4.8is (BMW buyback (aka lemoned))
    02 Allroad (sold)
    05 Elise (sold)
    98 Supra Turbo (sold)

Veteran Member Three Rings VR2V8's Avatar
    AZ Member #

For a bit of clarification......it seems everyone here (myself included) has made the assumption that the grille you purchased is OEM.

Since I've never heard of Eurosport Garage, and I have a hard time believing your dealership has never seen an S4 with an RS4 grille, I did a little research and found that they are an eBay-only company. Chime in if I'm off base here, but are you sure the grille isn't some cheap aftermarket knockoff? It is certainly possible that it is made wrong and/or the seller really has no experience with Audi. Looking at their auctions, it seems most if not all them are titled A4/S4. They make no distinction between different models.

Since you said it's too short, I'm guessing that is really an A4 only grille (or DTM/25th), which would also make it a 3rd party part, and that they assumed the A4 and S4 use the same grille.

Do you have any pictures of the grille or a link to the original auction? It would be nice to have that information here so someone else could avoid this confusion in the future.

2013 S4: P+, DSG, Ice Silver, Black/Black Alcantara, Nav, SD, B&O, Advanced Key, Carbon, Peelers

Akebono Ceramics, AWE Boost Gauge, AWE/GIAC Stage 2 + DSG, AWE Exhaust & Res. DP's, Black Optics Grille, Deval CF Lip & Diffuser, Ecodes, Eurocode Alu Kreuz, Eurocode Sways & Endlinks, Euro Visors, Folding Mirrors, H&R OE Springs, Hoen Xenonmatch Fogs, Ocarbon Dash Trim, Retrofit Labs Signals, Roc-Euro Intake, Underseat Bins, Warning Triangle

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '11 B8 S4 / '83 380 SL /
    Items for Sale

You are absolutely correct. They seem to be an eBay only company and don't know what they are talking about. They are impossible to contact. I will post a picture of the grille later. If anyone reading this thread has a B6 A4 and would like to buy an RS4 mesh grille on a fire sale, pls let me know

Veteran Member Four Rings oatzel's Avatar
    AZ Member #

how'd the dealer break your rings? were they trying to pull the grill off without removing the bumper
    Current: '12 4dr GTI Autobahn, Black on Black
    09 A4 2.0t, premium +, black on black, sport, nav

Old: 07 s4 avant, ibis, stasis exhaust, vogtland c/o, h-sport rs4 sways, vmr gunmetal v710s, 50/35% tint
    03 a4 3.0qms, thermal exhaust, hyperflow, neuspeed sport, neuspeed bilsteins, h-sport (s4) sways, b&m ss, votex lip, s4 blades, rs4 reps, ecodes, rs4 pedals, 35% tint
    Older: 2000 A4 1.8TQ, bilstein/hyperco, apr, blah blah blah

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '11 B8 S4 / '83 380 SL /
    Items for Sale

They tried taking the rings off the current grill for replacement on the new grille before they took the grille off the car. I guess they just tried to pry them off.....

Account Terminated Four Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2010 Ford Edge AWD

They tried taking the rings off the current grill for replacement on the new grille before they took the grille off the car. I guess they just tried to pry them off.....
    All the OEM Audi grilles come with rings.

Senior Member Three Rings RudeBwoi's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    My 2000 1.8T, Quattro 5spd

that blackout grille looks really good MOF
    GIAC Stage 1 ::: H&R S4 Coilovers ::: V&S Short Shifter ::: B5 Rs4 Reps ::: Intake ::: N75R ::: Tints ::: 12'' Kicker Square Sub

Need to sell this A4 asap...SOLD

Established Member Two Rings magnitude's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Thanks. This is obviously not the whole bumper but should hopefully give you enough to see what I'm dealing with. Ignore the vertical chrome strips between the grille foils. They were an earlier attempt at enhancement but with nothing to back them, they started to fall off so I removed them all.

Your input will be very welcome.
    Can someone please tell me where I can purchase this grill??? I can only find the identical grill but without the chrome parts. I REALLY want this grill so hope someone knows!

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    E46 BMW M3, Porsche 996 Turbo

I think he put the chrome stipes in himself. Its a standard S4 grill with what looks like some type of chrome tubing glued into the gaps - hard to explain but i've seen it before on a Dodge Caravan

Veteran Member Three Rings noznab's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by AmanV View Post
    I think he put the chrome stipes in himself. Its a standard S4 grill with what looks like some type of chrome tubing glued into the gaps - hard to explain but i've seen it before on a Dodge Caravan

Are you talking about the license plate cover? There are several different kinds...just find the part number for the one in the picture above and order it. Hell, its probably already listed on ECS Tuning.
    A few mods here and there

Established Member Two Rings HeimlichkeitB7's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B7 S4, 99 Jeep Cherokee

Here is my RS4 conversion. I have the rs4 bumper too, but the grille is from ECS (phantom black grille)...expensive but worth it. Do it the right way first.