Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    Veteran Member Four Rings Tanner's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    S4 / BRZ

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    H2Sport was working on a complete overhaul of the cam and follower (http://h2sport.ca/) to a roller-cam follower (which is what Audi should have used to start with) but they haven't released any pricing or any further details for quite some time.
    Mike

Veteran Member Three Rings illegitimus's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2006 B7 A4 Quattro Tip S-line

I think, they actually released some pricing on vwvortex and there's a thread on there where peeps were organizing a group buy...

Veteran Member Four Rings Sal_B7's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2005 A4 2.0T Quattro 6Spd

yeah i remember the VW guys talking about it. Think it was about $400 for the parts. But labor is going to be a pain. Since you have to pull the cam.

People were saying that it would be good to do this job when you replace the timing belt. Labor cost at least. I know there is a thread floating around.

Flying- no prob. bro. Not sure if that follower will be better since the new followers supposedly are made with a harder coating or something.
    '05 A4 2.0T Quattro MT APR Stage 3
    2008 APR Holiday Giveaway Winner!! Thanks APR!!
    FRRG Southern Ring

Xbox Live ID: Sqzn2zz

Veteran Member Three Rings FLYINGLEGGS's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2013 Genesis Coupe 2.0T, 2014 Mazda3, 2014 Audi S4

Based on mileage and "time", I am still under the original factory warranty. My dealer has performed some engine related work under warranty for me despite mods.
    With that said should the dealer fix my cam and follower under warranty, despite my stage 3 kit?
    Last edited by FLYINGLEGGS; 06-06-2010 at 04:53 AM.
    2014 S4 Misano Red, Black Optics, Sport Diff, S-tronic, Clear Bra, Tint
    2007 A4 2.0T S-Line APR Stage III and much more....SOLD

http://www.audizine.com/forum/member...70-FLYINGLEGGS

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    S4 / BRZ

Well if you got a APR HPFP, the dealer may not replace the cam follower under warranty.

The cam follower isn't that expensive in the grand scheme of things. Just pick it up at the dealer then get an independent shop to replace it for you.
    Mike

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tanner View Post
    Well if you got a APR HPFP, the dealer may not replace the cam follower under warranty.

The cam follower isn't that expensive in the grand scheme of things. Just pick it up at the dealer then get an independent shop to replace it for you.

Already replaced it. That's not the problem. The cam was damaged according to the technician at the local APR Dealer.

Senior Member Three Rings philaboy's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    (Black-on-Black) B6 04' 6mt with sport package | Apr tuned stage 1 | Debadged (Sold) (Lava Grey) A3

Was this the 1st time you checked your cam? I have a 12/06 date on my door- But itz a 07' model

Quote Originally Posted by DoThisMyWay View Post
    Here's my cam and follower after 81,1xx miles. The Avant has been APR'd since 10k with 5k oil change intervals, mostly with 0W-40 Mobil 1.

Forgot to add, the Avant is an early 2006.
    (Black-on Black) Q7 12'
    (Black-on-Black) B7 07' Avant 6mt every option ex- S-Line, But got MMI | Debadged | Euro Plate Holder | Oem Blue Tooth | more to come

Veteran Member Four Rings B72.0T's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2003 Audi A4 1.8TQM

Audi - truth in engineering. God that is so good.
    B8 S4
    Stage I

Veteran Member Four Rings Erocko's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Had mine changed today at TAI VW & Audi, over here on Oahu. I was dreading the worst, but it looks good. The peace of mind is worth getting it checked. Thomas, the owner of the shop, was saying the automatics usually look better, since they don't rev as high.

2005 FWD CVT, 43500 miles:

Current: 2013 Juke Nismo - Euro Nismo Pedals/Armrest - Weathertech Digital Fit Mats - DRL Combo Switch - LED interior/plate - Euro Hood Deflector - Cusco Strut Tower Brace - Injen SRI - Custom 2.5" Midpipe/JDM Fujitsubo Authorize S Axleback
    Former: 2011 Shadow Blue Mk6 GTI DSG 4-door, 2005.5 B7 A4 2.0T FWD CVT

Veteran Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

I just picked up a new cam follower and didn't realize how small these are. What makes the follower so expensive for a small hunk of metal?

Veteran Member Four Rings Hyphy's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B5 S4 Avant

Quote Originally Posted by wootwoot View Post
    I just picked up a new cam follower and didn't realize how small these are. What makes the follower so expensive for a small hunk of metal?
    Because that little hunk of metal can destroy your hpfp/cams in a matter of weeks.
    NIIICK

instagrams - niiickname

Veteran Member Four Rings DoThisMyWay's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B6A4, B7A4
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by philaboy View Post
    Was this the 1st time you checked your cam? I have a 12/06 date on my door- But itz a 07' model
    Yup, the first time. Mine is an 06 but I picked it up in Aug. of 05.
    2006|A4 Avant 2.0T Quattro S-line
    2005|A4 3.0 Quattro UltraSport

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wootwoot View Post
    It is for a German car. Automatic 50% increase!

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    05.5 A4 Avant 6MT

Quote Originally Posted by Erocko View Post
    changed mine today.. didn't have time to take a photo but pretty much looked like this one. 2005.5 w/ 45k miles.

Veteran Member Four Rings Fobia's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Hyphy View Post
    1. Your first time, it should take you a good hour. After that you will know how to do it in a faster/more efficient way. It's not a big deal (checking it wise) if you are completely stock. But, once you hit the mod bug, it's extremely recommended to check it as often as you change your oil...It will save you"$X,XXX".

2. At 70k miles, yes, it will be one of those 'things' that you wanna keep up to date (if you will).

If you really do like your 1.8, why not just keep it? Our motors are shitty. Well, not our motors, but our fueling system is..

edit: Hope this helps..and thanks for looking!
    68,000 miles.. chipped for 50 ... "babied" early 2006 2.0t

result,

http://www.mnaudi.com/mymnaudi/image.../21%20copy.jpg
    APR 91 93 100 STOCK
    AWE exhaust w/black tips
    Forge DV
    19" VM Onyx Black RS4 Reps
    Koni C/O's S/S
    35% Tint
    Debadged

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fobia View Post

result,

and the lobe on your cam? based on what the bottom of this "bucket" looks like your cam is also damaged...

Veteran Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

37k miles, chipped for 20k.

Veteran Member Four Rings B72.0T's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2003 Audi A4 1.8TQM

B8 S4
    Stage I

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    S4 / BRZ

Quote Originally Posted by Fobia View Post
    Never seen a cam follower wear down like that as it's showing visible signs of wear in one direction only because of the cam lobe. The cam follower is suppose to be able to rotate around so allowing it to wear out evenly.
    Mike

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    06' QG A4 Avant s-line

Does it say anywhere in our owners manuals that this is an issue that we should be looking at? My car went in for a 60k mile service. I explained that I had an instance of power loss a few weeks back that has not occurred again. They checked everything and told me that the car was "too hot" to open up so they did some sort of pressure test and they determined that my FPFP, Cam, and follower are shot. Meanwhile I do not have a CEL and the car drives fantastic.

I will be placing a call to Audi

Veteran Member Four Rings bblume's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    06 avant. 92 Gti. 96 Cabrio

Checked mine for the second time in 20,000 miles since the APR hpfp that followed the complete rebuild of my cam, follower, fp, and everything looks great.
    Just thought I'd give you all some good news for once.
    Sorry no pics...
    92 Gti 2.0 16V ABD/Recaro/Racelandy/Techtonics/BBS RZs
    06 AVANT S-line QMT6 / REVO Stg II+ / S4 Mir caps / RS4 Pedals / RS4 Bi-Xenons / Techtonics full exhaust & DP w/ Borla Mufflers / Carbonio CAI / Spacers Fr & Rr / Front Plate Delete / Debadged / Monster Mats / Tint / H&R Sports / RS4 rear sway / lamin-x / VAGcomed out / 034 HFC / VMR Boost Gauge /OEM Rev. 'D' DV / APR HPFP / 640 Mod / BSH PCV Stg II / Devil's Own W/M rocking 3zero3motorsports BOOST FUEL "MEFF" / BBS Style5s

Account Terminated Four Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    06 A4 / 09 IS-F / 10 Cayenne

Just finished replacing the timing chain and cam follower on a buddies 05.5 A4. Only mod is an APR stage 1 chip and piston DV. (90K miles)

His cam follower looked almost brand new and this guy is lucky if he changes his oil every 7K miles. (and he drives like an idiot)

I've replaced mine every 20K and both times I've replaced it, there's always been at least a little bit of wear on the follower and I'm anal about changing my oil every 3-4K with Motul.

Pretty useless story, I know, I just wonder what causes some to wear faster than others aside from the obvious scenarios.

Veteran Member Three Rings nycmalu's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Although I knew about this issue, and I've repeatedly read the warnings about checking the follower, I knew that if something were to happen, it would get covered under my CPO warranty; So I was lazy about it. Well, I have about 85,000 miles on my '05.5 and everything was going well until the other day when I suddenly noticed some shuddering when I tried to accelerate. Soon thereafter (really soon, like a day or so), I had literally no acceleration and I knew right away that something was wrong with either the fuel pump or my cam even though there was no MIL. I started her up the next day to take her to the dealer, and lo and behold, the dreaded light in my dashboard was on. Took her in, they kept my car for a couple of days, provided me a loaner, and when I came back to pick her up, I had:

06F-109-101-B Camshaft
    06D-109-229-B Chain (What is this for?)
    06F-127-025-K Fuel Pump
    06D-109-309-C Cam Follow(er)
    23 Screws
    10 Bolts
    And an Oil Change =P

I also got my left side HID bulb and ballast replaced.

Total damage?
    $53.50

Apparently, there's an 82341 code for Fuel Pump
    The Technician's notes are funny. "Found high pressure fuel pump and bucket faulty // Camshaft wiped out also... remove valve cover"
    Anyway, this CPO warranty has paid for itself a few times over now. I have had so much work done to this car in the past 2.5 years that I've had it.
    It's over in 15K miles though, so gotta be more proactive about preventative maintenance from this point on. Gonna be checking that follower at every oil change.
    -Steven

CONTROL ONE: Haha, don't toy with her emotions - that's my job.
    marty was here: listen. you are an amateur.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

CPO warranty is the only way to go with our cars. Glad, it was resolved for you with minimal financial implications.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    S4 / BRZ

And those that didn't pursue getting CPO, get these things checked before the warranty expires.

Checking the cam follower everytime the oil is changed is a bit extreme IMO. My cam follower was "okay" before the warranty expired, so that was about 80,000km on it but replaced anyways. The new cam follower was checked again 8-9 months when the intake valves were cleaned and showed some wear, but very little wear and should be good for a couple of years at least. I don't plan on going that long w/out checking again, plan on checking it again early next year.
    Mike

Senior Member Two Rings matthewb2795's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2005 Buell XB12s

Mod please move to Official Cam Follower thread in B7 Tech

I got my cam follower changed in my 2007 A4 2.0T at Steve's European Auto in Waterford, MI. By far one of the best mechanics I have ever been to. All around great people to work with.

Here is my cam follower at 34,000 miles. Nearly all the black coating is gone off it.

It is smooth to the touch, but I am glad I changed it out when I did. One more oil change and it may have been too late. Anyone who has been on the fence about this or made excuses to "do it next week," I highly suggest you just do it before its too late.
    -2007 Brilliant Black Audi A4 Titanium S-line, 6-Speed-

STaSIS SS Coilovers / RS4 Rear Sway Bar / Podi Electric Boost Gauge / APR Tune / 034 Turbo Inlet Pipe /18" RS4 Reps (previous owner's mistake, looking to fix this soon)/ H&R TRAK+ Spacers 15f, 20r - Final ET 27f, 22r

Seeking OEM B7, or B8 Ti wheels, PM me!

Senior Member Three Rings CoDRoX's Avatar
    AZ Member #

How much did you pay, part + labor?
    New addition! 2013 allroad | Prestige | Glacier White Metallic/Chestnut Brown | Sports Package | 19" Wheels | Audi Drive Select | Adaptive Cruise Control |
    2006 A4 2.0T quattro | S-Line | Black/Black | 6MT | Bi-Xenon AFS | Navigation | Bose | BlueTooth | Tint | APR Stg I | Rev. D DV |

Senior Member Two Rings matthewb2795's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2005 Buell XB12s

$105 for labor. $46.XX for the cam follower and I think $6.99 for the fuel pump o-ring from Europaparts.com
    -2007 Brilliant Black Audi A4 Titanium S-line, 6-Speed-

STaSIS SS Coilovers / RS4 Rear Sway Bar / Podi Electric Boost Gauge / APR Tune / 034 Turbo Inlet Pipe /18" RS4 Reps (previous owner's mistake, looking to fix this soon)/ H&R TRAK+ Spacers 15f, 20r - Final ET 27f, 22r

Seeking OEM B7, or B8 Ti wheels, PM me!

Active Member Two Rings 06sline's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    06 a4 sline VW Golf Trek

Finally got around to changing the follower. I have 35000 miles and been chipped for about 15000. Here's what it looked like.

APR Fully Loaded ECU - 35% Tint - Front Filler Plate - Debadged - VagCom - RS4 Rear Sway - Matte Silver Mirror Caps

Senior Member Three Rings CoDRoX's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Here's mine (sorry for the crappy cellphone pics!). Replaced today at 53,xxx miles, along with upgrading to Rev D DV.
    On APR 93 for the past 7k miles.

New addition! 2013 allroad | Prestige | Glacier White Metallic/Chestnut Brown | Sports Package | 19" Wheels | Audi Drive Select | Adaptive Cruise Control |
    2006 A4 2.0T quattro | S-Line | Black/Black | 6MT | Bi-Xenon AFS | Navigation | Bose | BlueTooth | Tint | APR Stg I | Rev. D DV |

Veteran Member Three Rings XCELR8's Avatar
    AZ Member #

84k miles, APR for 400 miles. Was happy to see it looked evenly worn and had no holes.

Enkei Raijin/H&R Sports/Tint/De-badge/No Wink/Needle Sweep/Lap Timer/Ambers Off

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by nycmalu View Post
    Although I knew about this issue, and I've repeatedly read the warnings about checking the follower, I knew that if something were to happen, it would get covered under my CPO warranty; So I was lazy about it. Well, I have about 85,000 miles on my '05.5 and everything was going well until the other day when I suddenly noticed some shuddering when I tried to accelerate. Soon thereafter (really soon, like a day or so), I had literally no acceleration and I knew right away that something was wrong with either the fuel pump or my cam even though there was no MIL. I started her up the next day to take her to the dealer, and lo and behold, the dreaded light in my dashboard was on. Took her in, they kept my car for a couple of days, provided me a loaner, and when I came back to pick her up, I had:

06F-109-101-B Camshaft
    06D-109-229-B Chain (What is this for?)
    06F-127-025-K Fuel Pump
    06D-109-309-C Cam Follow(er)
    23 Screws
    10 Bolts
    And an Oil Change =P

I also got my left side HID bulb and ballast replaced.

Total damage?
    $53.50

Apparently, there's an 82341 code for Fuel Pump
    The Technician's notes are funny. "Found high pressure fuel pump and bucket faulty // Camshaft wiped out also... remove valve cover"
    Anyway, this CPO warranty has paid for itself a few times over now. I have had so much work done to this car in the past 2.5 years that I've had it.
    It's over in 15K miles though, so gotta be more proactive about preventative maintenance from this point on. Gonna be checking that follower at every oil change.
    I'm at almost 80,000 miles and the car drives perfectly. But all your posts have me petrified that something could happen any moment. I have the CPO warranty, and I want this taken care of asap, but my dealer won't touch anything unless theres a CEL or some sort of code, and if there isn't anything wrong they're gonna charge for time. What should I do? How can I be sure my cam follower won't go anytime soon if i don't have a CEL?
    2006 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro 6MT brilliant black
    - AWE Tuning catback exhaust system - GIAC - 18" x 8.5 BBS CH on ExtremeContact DW - Eibach Pro Kit Springs - KONI sport yellows - RS4 Sway -

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    S4 / BRZ

Money talks. You tell them to check it. If the cam is fine you pay for the labour. If the cam is excessively worn out then everything is covered under warranty. Simple as that, they should be able to agree with that as that is what I did.

Small cost for peace of mind I say if you don't want try and open things up to check yourself.

Senior Member Three Rings ElectroMike's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2006 A4 2.0TQ, M/T

This is what it looks like at 37k miles, this was CPO'd at about 24k miles with a dealer TSB who replaced it then, so this is after about 12k miles with Stage 2 Revo:

On a side note, I had my local tuner KMD Tuning replace it, they only charged me like $48 for labor, which is well worth it! The A cam still looked smooth.
    Last edited by ElectroMike; 11-16-2010 at 10:48 AM.

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Not sure if this has been answered or not, but when checking the cam follower, should the O ring be replaced on the fuel pump? My CPO expires in about 3 months, so I need to get on and check this. Just wondering if I should order a new O ring before checking it.
    White Wagon

Twitter/Instagram: IDFront

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    S4 / BRZ

You should but probably ok if you don't.

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Tanner View Post
    Money talks. You tell them to check it. If the cam is fine you pay for the labour. If the cam is excessively worn out then everything is covered under warranty. Simple as that, they should be able to agree with that as that is what I did.

Small cost for peace of mind I say if you don't want try and open things up to check yourself.
    My dealer is retarded, they won't replace/touch anything unless there is a CEL or if they get some code, which makes me think that even if i did pay them to "check" they'd just tell me everything is fine because they're probably only gonna look for codes and might not find any. Quite a predicament as I approach 80,000 miles and have little time left on my CPO warranty. I even called all the previous dealers that have ever serviced my car to see if it has already been done, but it hasn't.

It is my understanding that the latest "k" revision fuel pump is also installed when they replace the cam follower under CPO warranty, which is something I'd like to take advantage of. i want to get the GIAC HPFP program, but don't want to flash my car until I can get that fuel pump and have the AWE fuel pump upgrade installed.
    2006 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro 6MT brilliant black
    - AWE Tuning catback exhaust system - GIAC - 18" x 8.5 BBS CH on ExtremeContact DW - Eibach Pro Kit Springs - KONI sport yellows - RS4 Sway -

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    S4 / BRZ

Just tell them to replace it then and pay for the parts and labour. It's a small price to pay compared to having to pay for a new HPFP, lobe, etc., as that will run you a couple thousand dollars.
    Mike

Veteran Member Three Rings nycmalu's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Or you can try going to a different dealer. I don't know what your options are up there in Buffalo, but I'm sure there's more than one around the area. If they refuse to even check it, with you offering to pay for the time to do so, then you need to find a new dealership anyway. I guess I just got lucky that mine conked out before the CPO warranty ran out. You could try going to a local mechanic, pay him to take it apart to have a look at it. Take pictures, bring it to your dealer and show them proof if it is worn out.

Veteran Member Three Rings QUATTROA4B7's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Woo! Guess who is not under warranty with a blown cam follower, damaged cam, and a damaged APR HPFP.

I guess the purchase of a new cam, HPFP, and follower is in order. Along with a nice labor bill for RSW!

-2007 quattro mt6 57,000 miles.
    Last edited by QUATTROA4B7; 12-16-2010 at 11:51 AM.
    - Slammed STG3 B7 A4 on Works

-"if you were anywhere near a teenage age you would understand that my hair is fucking sick, so go fuck yourself."

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast