Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Veteran Member Four Rings dalmation53's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Audi A4 B7

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Quote Originally Posted by sdy101 View Post
    I have a B8 and similar symptoms. P0299 with CEL and ticking noise during deceleration with window down. Would really like to hear an update on this...
    buy a revision D diverter valve. problem solved.
    Ivan

Established Member Three Rings Tiggy's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B8 Quattro A4 S-Line Prestige

Error Code P0299: Turbo/Super charger underboost

Just got my car back from the dealer because of this code.

The cause was my waste gate "flapper" was stuck open. Resulting in a boost leak.

So they threw in a nice brand new turbo :)
    Instagram @awdconnor

Veteran Member Four Rings jamerican1's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2008 A4 S-Line Titanium TQM, 2000 A4 1.8tqm, 1993 Audi 90S(sold)

Quote Originally Posted by jamerican1 View Post
    For what its worth... My wastegate was totally fooocked. Last night/earlier this morning I swapped in a lower mileage (70k) k03 I had laying around but I'm not sure if the actuator is working properly. Fingers crossed that this finally fixes it.
    Update: Swapped in the other turbo. Had a horrible idle that developed, and minimal difference in boost Stopped by NGP and it turns out that one of the metal hoses had been revised with a check valve. Swapped hoses and that took care of the idle issue. Still wasn't making proper boost though. As a last ditch effort I tried a wastegate adjustment as outlined in this thread http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...ate-Adjustment
    While it's not perfect yet, all of a sudden I'm making boost down low and hitting 20+ psi!

I'll keep you all up to date.

Question, if anyone reading this has done a wastegate adjustment before, was it a permanent fix?
    Unf*ckwithable

Registered Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Hi,
    I am currently facing the same P0299 fault code on my B7 2.0TFSI.

I have an ELM327 OBD2 dongle, connected to my phone by Bluetooth to monitor the Boost/Vacuum gauge since I do not have one.

Here are the symptoms I have:
    - When cold, usually in the morning, the boost gauge shows up to 12 PSI, which is perfect for my stock engine/turbo/ECU. The car runs like a perfect bride.
    - A few minutes of cruising, say 15 to 30 minutes, the car gets hotter, and I start feeling the loss of boost. The gauge would indicate at this level 3-5 PSI, sometimes 2 or less, which is very noticeable especially when climbing hill.
    - CEL showing on the dashboard, fault code P0299
    - I am also facing a noticeable an increase in fuel consumption

Last month I had the DV changed to the piston version, the stock DV was torn. I have also installed a KnR air filter as I read many positive feedback about them.

Do you suggest anything?

Thanks in advance.

Established Member Two Rings tbaudi's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Tiggy View Post
    Just got my car back from the dealer because of this code.

The cause was my waste gate "flapper" was stuck open. Resulting in a boost leak.

So they threw in a nice brand new turbo :)
    Exact same story - ~89K miles w/ CPO so $85
    '11 A4 Avant | Prestige, S-Line | silver/black | 18/35 SunTek Carbon tint | RS4 grille | Titanium finished wheels

Registered Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

I replaced my DV on Friday fixed my boost problem woke up
    The next day felt great but after like 30 mins I lost boost again.. Cars seems to keep losing boost. It drives fine then it acts up again then it drives fine and then lost boost again.. Any suggestions what else it could be?

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Got my first CEL of this today... I cleared it and will wait for it to return before looking into it more....

01 Engine Control Module 1

System description: 2.0l R4/4V TF
    Software number: 8K2907115AL
    Software version: 0001
    Hardware number: 8K2907115D
    Hardware version: H17
    ODX name: EV_ECM20TFS0118K2907115AL
    ODX version: 001001
    Long coding: 0104010A190F0160

Trouble codes:
    P029900 - Turbo/Super Charger Underboost
    static
    Malfunction frequency counter: 1
    Dynamic environmental data: 209628
    Ambient air pressure: 980 mbar
    Intake air temperature: 18 °C
    Unlearning counter: 255
    Vehicle speed: 71 km/h
    Normed load value: 87.5 %
    Engine speed: 2922.50 1/min
    Date: 2017-01-24 15:29:36
    Coolant temperature: 96 °C
    Mileage: 107545 km
    Voltage terminal 30: 13.499 V
    Priority: 2
    2010 A4 B8 2.0T Quattro | VMR718 19x8.5 ET35 | 235/35/19 Toyo Proxy 4 | ST Coilovers |

Senior Member Two Rings my_audi_a4's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Still have those code P0299 as well just replaced the following:

Crankcase Vent Valve Gasket
    Crankcase Vent Valve Pressure Regulating Valve
    Breather Hose Crankcase Vent Valve/Breather Hose

Looks like i will need a new Turbo
    2008 Silver Audi A4 B7 2.0 FSI triptonic~ 18x9.5 VMR 702's, RS4 Front Grille, Hotchkis Rear Sway Bar, S4 Mirror Caps, Koni Coilovers, Custom AWE Quad Catback Black Diamond Tip Exhaust with Fabspeed Resonators and Mufflers

Registered Member One Ring Jason138's Avatar
    AZ Member #

how do you run boost logs exactly?

Veteran Member Three Rings Hightekflytech's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Flipgarcia View Post
    I replaced my DV on Friday fixed my boost problem woke up
    The next day felt great but after like 30 mins I lost boost again.. Cars seems to keep losing boost. It drives fine then it acts up again then it drives fine and then lost boost again.. Any suggestions what else it could be?
    I'm having the exact same problem

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Jason138 View Post
    how do you run boost logs exactly?
    Using VAGCOM, log measuring blocks 115 and 118. 115 contains the actual and specified boost pressure (in mbar) which you can graph together to see how close they are. 118 has your N75 open status--just a useful piece to see in the full picture. They say to run 1500 RPM to redline in 3rd gear, but that's too fast for streets around here. I just log a couple 2nd gear pulls up as far as I can go (usually entering the interstate at a fairly low traffic area) and hold there for a bit. Here's mine showing my P0299 in all it's full glory. I did a quick and dirty conversion to PSI on it, but I'm not sure it's 100% accurate:

Established Member Two Rings BRiCC_FLAiR's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I also have this code. New DV, smoke test done and determined no leaks. My mechanic advised me that there was oil and some sort of "crud" on the passenger side intercooler. Looking to get some insight from you guys before replacing either that or upgrading.
    Twitter and Instagram: @louis_the_iv

B7 A4 2.0T
    Magnaflow 2.5" catback|TechTonics Tuning 2.5" downpipe
    034 Motorsports silicone turbo inlet pipe
    034 street density tranny mounts|034 snub mount w/ bracket
    Viair 444cc compressor|Airlift Performance Autopilot v2 management and struts
    StopTech cyrotreated slotted rotors|Goodridge stainless steel brake lines

Senior Member Two Rings Older_not_Wiser's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Just posting here (biggest P0299 thread) in case anyone else has similar issues/symptoms and goes searching like I did.

Problems started with getting occasional P0299 (under boost) codes. They came every couple of days, sometimes wouldn’t see one for a couple weeks. Did the usual checks.

Diverter Valve – Check, changed to piston type long ago, pulled and inspected, no issues
    Boost Leak – Check, inspected all hoses, no issues, smoke check, no issues
    Logs – Check, N75 duty cycle looked normal, hi 90’s % when matted, tapering to 50-55%, all other logs nominal
    WG play – Check, none to speak of, thing was solid

So, this went on for a month or two and then the symptoms changed. Car would drive fine, make proper boost, etc. for the first 10 – 15 minutes of the drive cycle then all of a sudden only boost to 2 - 4 psi. Not really limp mode as I could get the RPMs to redline eventually. Turn the car off for a few minutes, you would get another 10 – 15 minutes of proper boost.

More Logs – N75 Duty cycle normal when car boosting normal; N75 Duty Cycle 97% all the time when boost only gets to 2- 4 psi, Hmmmm? Could still be a sticky WG, so:
    Pinch off vacuum line between N75 and WG solenoid with small needle nose vise grips. Careful here, over boost and limp mode possible if WOT. Car drives fine, makes proper boost for longer than 15 minutes. Swap out to new N75 and all back to normal.

Looking back, the only advance warning of this was that in the months prior to this issue, the peak boost when floored would see some variation. Normally 18-19 psi peak, I would sometimes see 21 or 22 psi peak (read in another thread this can be sign of failing N75). The building of boost seemed a little surge-y instead of smooth. Hope this helps someone else.
    2008 A4 2.0T Quattro S-Line Titanium

Veteran Member Three Rings Hightekflytech's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Well that definitely helped me
    After swapping my N75 valve this past weekend, no check engine light and restored boost at all times. She's running like a champ now

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Is the N75 Valve easy to swap out?
    2010 A4 B8 2.0T Quattro | VMR718 19x8.5 ET35 | 235/35/19 Toyo Proxy 4 | ST Coilovers |

Senior Member Two Rings Older_not_Wiser's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by irobb View Post
    Is the N75 Valve easy to swap out?
    It is a bit of a tight spot. You can do it from the top if you take out the cold air intake plastic parts, both the part that snaps in and the part with the two Phillips screws to the front core support. Then take off the turbo inlet hose from the air cleaner box to the turbo inlet.

This will give you enough room, but the Oetiker clamps are (as always) a pain in the neck to remove as there is very little room and with the N75 there is not a lot of available leverage to jam a small standard screw driver in there and twist. You are likely to break off the plastic hose nipple from the N75 and then you have zero leverage. I used the cutting portion of my Oetiker clamp tool, several different angle diagonal cutters and even a small jewelers file to get the Oetiker clamps off. Time and patience required.

The far screw on the N75 is also a bit hard to get to (T25 or T30). I had to use a small torx bit with a small extension and tape the screw to the bit going back in.

I also put Oetiker clamps back on because masochist......

Well that definitely helped me
    After swapping my N75 valve this past weekend, no check engine light and restored boost at all times. She's running like a champ now
    Glad it helped someone.
    2008 A4 2.0T Quattro S-Line Titanium