Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Veteran Member Three Rings ChescoS6's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2012 Golf TDI 2003 Ducati ST4s ABS 2007 Ducati Monster S2R

Blue smoke under hard acceleration

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Driving in to work today I was doing about 75mph and floored it to pass and make a lane change. I looked up into my rearview mirror as I was doing it and noticed a little cloud of blue smoke. Obviously blue smoke would mean I am burning oil right? I checked the oil once I got to work and it may be slightly low, it's 2/3 up the hash marked area. First time I ever noticed this and the car runs great. Only 67k miles on the motor

I had a G60 Corrado that did the same thing to me about 8 years ago except it was a huge amount of blue smoke and turned out the rings were shot and a piston disentegrated

Any suggestions or do you think I have anything to worry about? I'm kinda bummed that there might be a problem. I'm due for a timing belt job soon so if there's something I can replace while that's done to save labor I'm open to input.

It's a 2002 S6 (4.2)

THANKS!
    Looking for Misc 2001 B5 A4 Avant parts. See my add in classifieds!

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Re: Blue smoke under hard acceleration

I was ready to tell you that your turbos were going lol It could be a few things, head gasket, valve seat, piston rings etc. Keep an eye out to see if it does it again.
    6 Speed--EPL--034--SPEC--ER--AquaMist--Forge--RS4--RS6--K04 --RNS-E--DTS--PSS9's
    SOLD

Greg
    C5UNION

Veteran Member Three Rings 04A6SLine's Avatar
    AZ Member #

from my Lexus Es300 days,,

Blue means Piston rings..
    white means Blown Head GAsket
    Black means bad gas..

correct me if i'm wrong..

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Possibly a PCV problem that builds up pressure in the crankcase, blowing oil past the valve stem seals and rings. You could slip one of the breather hoses off a valve cover and see if the smoke is still there. With your miles I would think it is a trivial problem, not worn rings or anything major.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

That's good to hear. I'll look into that tomorrow. Hopefully that's the issue.

Veteran Member Three Rings Coors's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    04 A4 USP 6MT

Get the system pressure tested. Focus on the head gaskets and the oil breather system.
    I highly doubt you slipped a piston ring. The smoke would be there at idle. It would run like sh&t.

Any lose in power? How's your coolant levels?
    The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist, then poof he is gone.
    __________________________________________________ ________________________________
    GIAC BI File/TT 225 Injectors/034 HFC/Forge007/ER FMIC/JHM Short Throw/B5 S4 Motor Mounts/podi/AFE Dry/...
    [Sold] '01.5 6MT C5 A6/RS4'd/GIAC Stage 3 Minus w/ alot of mods

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    03 allroad 6MT, Turbo M3

oil getting in somehow.

do a leak down test, that will rule out rings and valves

clean/check PCV system. check your intake manifold see if there is oil in it.
    ///Andres
    03' allroad 6mt -black - 402'd, K&N, RS4 clutch, APR exhaust, RNS-E, H-Sports, HP-2, SS brake lines, 19" RS6, 35% tint
    95' M3 - custom turbo ~550+hp on base boost

AZ Member #
    My Garage

I removed the PCV valve located at the back of the IM last night. I took it apart and cleaned it thoroughly. It was pretty gummed up inside but the spring looked like it could move freely. I doubt it was causing a problem but it's ruled out for now. I had minimal oil, a thin film, inside the breather hoses coming off the valve on the bottom and side. It didn't look like anything to worry about either. I did a few hard runs on a local highway at WOT and didn't see anything. Maybe I was imagining things.

I had a Pontiac G8 GT behind me on the highway and thought it was a perfect time for a WOT test run. No smoking but I did get reeled in rather quickly by the G8

Anyway, thanks for everyone's input and suggestions!