Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

Touch-Up Paint Kits

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Hey guys,

I have a couple rock chips on the front of my car that are just pissing me off. I'm going to call the dealership right now and order a touch-up paint kit.

But i was wondering if anyone has done this before...and how did it work? I have plenty of detailing equipment (machine, compounds, and pads.) Is there any post application work required to level the surface and blend the touch-up paint any better?

Any experience would be appreciated.

Veteran Member Four Rings DolphinV8's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Re: Touch-Up Paint Kits

Veteran Member Four Rings cellg8's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by DolphinV8 View Post
    looks amazing! Anyone tried this?
    2014 RS5 Sepang Blue / GMG springs / Eurocode UCA / H&R 10mm spacers / Ti Grille / Euro Headlights / OEM CF Engine Cover
    2008 B7 S4 Sprint Blue / Stasis Ohlins SL / ADV10 Trackspec 20x8.5 ET 28 + 245/30/20

'14 B8 RS5:
    http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...571715-RS5-20F

'08 B7 S4:
    http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...uot-ADV1-B7-S4

AZ Member #

I've been doing a little research and I called the local audi dealership.

It looks like audi's touch-up kits are the pain pen type. They come with two pens, one for color and one for clear. The guy i was speaking with said they look pretty good when complete. Pirce was 15 bucks.

I also checked out the Dr. Color Chip link (^ Thanks man). Seems like their product is significantly better than a paint pen system. I have two worries though.

How well will they match the factory color?

Will i be able to fill these chips and then polish down to a "near new" finish?

The price is also 40-60 bucks depending on which kit you buy. Thats a pretty big price difference...but if they quality and finish is significantly better, i dont mind the cost.

Any experience?

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2005.5 Audi S4 6MT

http://www.langka.com/

I have never used it, but I have been told it works. Supposedly it works best in flat paints, but is still good for metalics.

Veteran Member Four Rings DolphinV8's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

both langka & drcolorchip work. I have used both.

AZ Member #

The more i read about the Dr. Color Chip system, i think that is the way im going to go.

I will be sure to do a full write up / review.

Senior Member Three Rings Cyrix9445's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2004 S4, 1995 Wrangler

nice, i might pick some up
    2004 Sauce4

Veteran Member Three Rings mad70sx's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Silver '04 S4

Quote Originally Posted by 04v8s4 View Post
    It looks like audi's touch-up kits are the pain pen type.
    Isn't that typical coming from Audi!

Senior Member Three Rings 93hrdtptt's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2004 S4-Nogaro Blue 6spd, 2000 Yamaha R6

hmmmm...i may have to give it a shot...nogaro..ehh...hope its not a PITA

AZ Member #

Mine isn't nogaro....mine's moro blue.

I'll get it on order tonight and let you guys know how it turns out.

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by BigJS4 View Post
    http://www.langka.com/

I have never used it, but I have been told it works. Supposedly it works best in flat paints, but is still good for metalics.
    This kit works well. For paint, try Paintscratch.com.

Veteran Member Four Rings mbgt72's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2003 Jeep Wrangler

Quote Originally Posted by DolphinV8 View Post
    I ordered a set for my car and another for my gf's car a week or so ago but haven't gotten around to using it yet. My car is black and she as a 03 silver 525i, I'll let you know how they wok, but from what I've heard it's about the best you'll get without repainting.
    Current: 996TT
    Sold but not forgotten: 2005.5 S4 MT6 l JHM Parts: Stg 1 S/C, LTH, IM, SS Trio, LW Front Rotors, LWFW, Stg IV clutch, 4:1 Diff, Stern Motor Mounts, Snub/Trans/Diff Mounts, F.I.Exhaust l H&R C.O. 24.75" G-F, 034 Adj UCA's, H-Sport RS4 Rear Sway l Hawk HPS Pads, SS lines & SuperBlue l Fly'sV4 LEDs l 15% Tint, 50% Front l VMR V710 GM 19" & Enkie RPF01's l JL 10W7, Focal Components l V1 Mirror Display l

AZ Member #

how well did it work?

Veteran Member Three Rings rzundel's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Ferrari Challenge Stradale, Maserati GranTurismo S, Range Rover HSE, Porsche Panamera

I've used the DrColorChip product and it's good but not exactly as advertised. You have to be very careful when you use the solvant as the final step because it is very easy to remove all the paint you just applied. It takes a little work and patience. I simply think this product will work on some colors better than others. Black I'm sure would be great. Anything that does not have a metalic finish to it is good. Silver, on the other hand, is a tough color to work with. Just my experience.

Veteran Member Three Rings ABT B7's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    MB C350 4M

I called my audi dealership and I was told they don't carry touch up sticks. However, they asked me to go to their bodyshop and got the touch up mixed right at the spot....

Anyone has any experience with bodyshop touch ups?
    Mods: 15% Tint 19" Vellano VSi LED License Plate Lights + City Lights+ Interior Neuspeed Catback Oettinger Roof Spoiler Painted Reflectors + Rear Valance 5000K HID Fog 6700K D1S JHM SS TTRS Steering Wheel Apikol rear diff mount JHM Intake Spacers JOM LED Tail Lights AWE Down Pipe Pzero Nero 245/35/19, JHM LW Rotors Akebono Euro Pads StopTech SS Lines JHM Tuned Full Oettinger Kit KW V3
    Future: JHM Pulley+ IM+ Stg1 S/C

Veteran Member Three Rings clumpymold's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2005 Yamaha R6

Quote Originally Posted by ABT B7 View Post
    I called my audi dealership and I was told they don't carry touch up sticks. However, they asked me to go to their bodyshop and got the touch up mixed right at the spot....

Anyone has any experience with bodyshop touch ups?
    I'm about to get some touch-up paint as well. I'm currently using some Glasurit paint color-matched to my previous vehicle (Cosmosschwarz-metallic for my BMW - which is basically black with slight blue metallic bits) and it looks pretty close to my current Audi's brilliant black.

Anyway, I'd like to see a step-by-step picture on the process and before and after pictures, if anyone has them.

Veteran Member Four Rings BlackLock_A4's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by rzundel View Post
    ...Silver, on the other hand, is a tough color to work with. Just my experience.
    awww
    I have a lot of rock chips in my hood. Should I just get a dealer pen?

TIA,
    Eric
    2001 1.8TQM
    Speed doesn't kill. It's that damn sudden stop.

Established Member Two Rings Sigster's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Touch up paint is really easy and looks fine when done carefully. The trick is thin multiple coats. A steady hand is needed. Clear coat isn't needed but if you have it then great. Brush a lite coat on and wait for it to dry then repeat until the chip is covered completely. a little thinner is good to have in case you mess up you can wipe it off and start over. When you are done and you are looking at the chip eye to eye you will still see it. Give it a day or two and most people will forget it was ever there. If you don't like it wipe it off and have a body shop repaint your hood for about $1000.00.

Good luck everyone and may the force be with you.

Veteran Member Four Rings whartung's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I've had my touch up pens sitting in my tool kit for 6 months. Been to scared to try it yet. But I really need to now as I have a new rock chip on my hood bigger than all the others. Enough to have a slight gouge on the metal... Guess I have to try this soon.
    2005.5 Sprint Blue Pearl Audi S4 Sedan 6MT
    Corsa w/ 12" Resonators - Vogt GT's - Trexturk Catless Downpipes - JHM Tuned - JHM SS - JHM Intake Spacers - JHM/Apikol Rear Differential Mount - JHM LWCP - K&N - RS4 Sway - Blackout Grille - ClearCornered and Blackedout Headlights - Xeonmatch - ECS Snub

Senior Member Four Rings Bravest NY S4's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Eff all that touch-up nonsense brother!...find a reputable auto body shop pull the trigger, and get that bitch resprayed!
    I JUST got the the entire hood resprayed to get rid of rock-chips.....$375 and its brand-nubian again!
    I'LL BE BACK.........
    Never forget SWAY

Veteran Member Four Rings whartung's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Bravest NY S4 View Post
    Eff all that touch-up nonsense brother!...find a reputable auto body shop pull the trigger, and get that bitch resprayed!
    I JUST got the the entire hood resprayed to get rid of rock-chips.....$375 and its brand-nubian again!
    yeah... I'd need hood and bumper though. So figure closer to 700 bucks for me. Doesn't seem worth it yet
    2005.5 Sprint Blue Pearl Audi S4 Sedan 6MT
    Corsa w/ 12" Resonators - Vogt GT's - Trexturk Catless Downpipes - JHM Tuned - JHM SS - JHM Intake Spacers - JHM/Apikol Rear Differential Mount - JHM LWCP - K&N - RS4 Sway - Blackout Grille - ClearCornered and Blackedout Headlights - Xeonmatch - ECS Snub

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Bravest NY S4 View Post
    Hey Bravest NY S4, i'm in the nyc area as well, can you recommend a good auto body shop. I have a small chip on the hood that is driving me nuts. Thanks.

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by whartung View Post
    yeah... I'd need hood and bumper though. So figure closer to 700 bucks for me. Doesn't seem worth it yet
    Hi Whartung, did you try the touch up paint? if so did you go with dr color chip or the audi touch up pen? how did it turn out?

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '09 S4 Cab '11 Acura MDX

I gouged my drivers rear quarter with a portable canopy about a month ago. Solid inch gash, through the paint about a quarter inch wide. I used the two pen system from the dealer and now I have to go looking for the scratch. The key for me was thin multiple coats and once I had built it up enough I applied the clear. That left it a little higher than the paint surface on the rest of the car. I then used a 'mouse' sander with a foam pad and progressively lighter polish to bring it back to the same level as the rest of the paint. The mouse sander was very good as it let me focus on the problem area without straying too far off.

Once that was done I applied a final step protectant and good as new... Almost...

Good luck!