Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Registered Member One Ring
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2002 Audi A4 1.8T Tip

Exclamation Slow response: Possible bad Turbo

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    So my car just hit 67k and I've been noticing a decrease in the amount of acceleration from my car. No codes are being thrown but I am wondering if my turbo is starting to go. I've been noticing it when I attempt to accelerate from 2k in any gear. For the 1.8T when do the turbo's usually go. Any ideas what could be wrong or what I should do. Thanks.

Senior Member Three Rings kastro's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    04.5 1.8TQ Tip A4 Black -

Re: Slow response: Possible bad Turbo

no, not a bad turbo.. that's probably a mix of turbo lag and other stuff... have u changed ..oil filter, sparkplugs, fuel filter, lately?, i had something similar.. i allignemnt my body throttle.. and it gives a better response.. search on how to allign it.. i dont recall all the steps.
    OEM is sexy.

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2003 A4 1.8TQ, 2006 Cadillac CTS

allignment:turn key on but don't start the engine. floor the throttle for 5 seconds. with peddle still floored turn key off then release the throttle peddle. leave key in for 2 minutes.

check your plugs to make sure they aren't loose. a loose plug gives you poor response and your having to mash the peddle more.

Veteran Member Three Rings Tomek6's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2005 A4 USP 6spd

Could be your cat getting clogged and you're not boosting as much as you should be.
    2005 Audi A4 USP 6spd |Revo Chip|TT 225 Injectors|Evo MS Intake w/ modified stock ram air|Samco Hoses|Forge TIP|Forge DV|VMR TP|Custom SS 2.5" Magnaflow Exhaust|ECS Snub Mount|KW V2 Coilovers|Hotchkis S4 Sways|BBS CH's|3.0 C/D, Slotted Rotors|USP Front, Rear Spoiler and Interior Trim|Cupra R Lip|B7 Rear Valance|DTH Sideskirts|Grilles|E-Codes|S4 Mirrors and Door Blades|S/w Boost Guage w/ Podi Steering Column Pod|

Veteran Member Four Rings pondside36's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    AWE powered B6 1.8T

If your turbo was failing it would start making the infamous dentist drill noise and you would know. I would start with the plugs like stated above, then air filter, and perhaps a boost leak check.. good luck
    Goodwood Green is money...$$$$
    Arclight "You need to post pics already Pondside - enough w/ the prom dress teaser BS!"

Established Member Two Rings Danyl's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    03 Audi A4 Manual

[QUOTE=dr. brian;3667441]allignment:turn key on but don't start the engine. floor the throttle for 5 seconds. with peddle still floored turn key off then release the throttle peddle. leave key in for 2 minutes.

Is that true sounds a little funny!
    03 1.8TQM APR 93 1+

Veteran Member Four Rings mdzaudi's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '03 A4 1.8tqm, 91 Explorer, '05 Arctic Cat M6

[QUOTE=Danyl;3668349]
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. brian View Post
    allignment:turn key on but don't start the engine. floor the throttle for 5 seconds. with peddle still floored turn key off then release the throttle peddle. leave key in for 2 minutes.

Is that true sounds a little funny!
    Yes.

Manual throttle body adaptation:

"The Throttle is "Drive By Wire" and adapts to your particular driving style. Do a TBA Throttle body adaption).

1. Get in your car, it doesn't matter if you close the door or not.

2. Turn the key to the on position, the position just before the starter turns over.

3. Press the gas pedal to the floor with the key in the "on" position.

4. Hold the pedal to the floor for five seconds, then turn the key back to the "off" position(don't remove the key), then release the gas pedal.

5. Wait 2 mins. for a full alignment. During this time you may hear very faint noises and clicks. I
    only heard one sitting in my car, if I got out and popped the hood I might hear more.

6. Drive the car as you always do.

Depending on your driving style, this may or may not be a big factor. I do a lot of city driving so
    I noticed a big change after erasing my history. It is not hard to do this, just follow the
    instructions - Key on, pedal down, 5 sec, key off pedal up, wait 2 minutes.

Keep the key in for the entire thing. "
    -Matt

FCDT Member #1

Established Member Two Rings Danyl's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    03 Audi A4 Manual

I think i'll try that. Anything to make faster :)
    03 1.8TQM APR 93 1+

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2002 Audi A4 1.8T Tip

yea the car recently had a oil change and new filter placed in. I haven't replaced the fuel filter or the spark plugs but it may be time. I will check my plugs and see if they are corroded but for not I will re-align my throttle body and see if it makes a good difference. thanks guys.

Veteran Member Four Rings dirtybrd's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Revo Tuned 2.0L w/35r

I'd do a boost leak check, you might have a leak or failing DV.
    BetaAlphaTauMember#6

I'm back bitches!

35r and REVO...what?

AZ Member #

2002 Audi A4 1.8T acceleration and trembling issues

Found your thread and I am also having similar issues. Did you ever figure out what what causing the lag? Sometimes i'll be at an intersection and have to turn quickly only to find my car having to build up momentum and then it goes...not very safe when stuck in those situations. I have had my fuel filter changed, oil filter changed (along with oil change), replaced N75 valve changed, new spark plugs...and still same result. I also think that my turbo might be going bad and I have found oil at the bottom of the turbo.

On a side note, I also have trembling when the car shifts from 1st to 2nd gear and sometimes 3rd. When this first happened, Audi told me it was a cracked CVG joint and needed a new transmission. Thankfully I had a third party warranty that covered the $7000 cost and Audi put in a Brand new transmission at 104,000 miles. The car ran fine (despite the lack of acceleration) until a few months ago when I started noticing small jitters again like before...now its has gotten worse and Audi tells me that everything checks out fine and that it is normal for that type of transmission to do that...I am not buying it..

Any thoughts?

Stage 2 Banner Advertiser Four Rings Hugh@EuropaParts's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Hey guys... One thing I always stress is maintenance! Luckily we have all of your maintenance needs in stock. Click here for the B6 platform!
    Hubert
    EuropaParts.com, Your Trusted Audi Parts Source
    Phone: 800.877.7033 x 101
    Email: hubert@europaparts.com
    Facebook: Like Us on Facebook

Veteran Member Four Rings drjonez's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2003 A4 Avant 1.8tQ0A3, '72 Nova

Quote Originally Posted by dirtybrd View Post
    I'd do a boost leak check, you might have a leak or failing DV.
    This.

The turbo's actual function is fairly binary- if it is making boost it is OK.
    '03 A4 Avant 1.8tQ0A3GT28R

Function > Form