Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    06 A4 2.0 Avant S-Line

Auto transmission - Hesitate on take off - No time in first gear problem

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I am just wondering if anyone else has experienced the same issue and what your resolution was.

This happens on an intermittent basis (car in "D"), when I come to a rolling stop or a full stop. After the stop, I either take my foot off the brake and let the car begin to roll, or take my foot off the brake and gently depress the gas pedal.

In both cases, instead of the car beginning to move forward, it seems to hesitate for a second or slightly more than a second. During that time, it seems to build a few hundred revs. Then all of a sudeen the car pops into gear and lurches forward, from which point everything is fine.

And it seems in all of these cases, the car wants to spend absolutely no time in first gear. It just goes in second.

Even though I know that first gear is short on these cars, my vehicle seems to spend almost no time in first gear ever.

comments would be appreciated.

Veteran Member Four Rings Sharkfin's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B7 A4 2.0TQT
    Items for Sale

Re: Auto transmission - Hesitate on take off - No time in first gear problem

are you talking about turbo lag?
    Past: DTM 2005.5 B7 A4 2.0TQT (sold)
    Past: 2008 Infiniti G37s Coupe (totaled)
    Past: 2007 Honda Civic LX Sedan (sold)
    Past: 2006 BMW 330i Sedan Sport (sold)
    Current: 2006 BMW 330i Sedan Sport
    Future (2014): B8 S4, 335

Veteran Member Four Rings eskimopunk's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    05 E55, 63 Falcon Futura

it's in drive. so theres no point for it stay in 1st. it lags cos its either dropping back down to 1st or shifting into 2nd. + turbo lag
    flickr

"ALL I REMEMBER IS ARGURFIN WITH DRCURITY AND THEM KICKING me out of neptunes i ve had like 6 LIT's biches is crazy my backj fucking hurts" - El_Chapusca

SBSC Designer
    For awesomeness. Thanks Pat.

Veteran Member One Ring CthulhuAudi's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    98 2.8 tip stock

any trans leaks? i had a issue like that after a trans cooler line came loose on my B5. it was worse on hard stops for me. try coming to a stop slower than normal, that usually helped it go all the way down to first. untill you can get it fixed of course.

Established Member Two Rings 2LOW4NYC's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by rezadue View Post
    I am just wondering if anyone else has experienced the same issue and what your resolution was.

This happens on an intermittent basis (car in "D"), when I come to a rolling stop or a full stop. After the stop, I either take my foot off the brake and let the car begin to roll, or take my foot off the brake and gently depress the gas pedal.

In both cases, instead of the car beginning to move forward, it seems to hesitate for a second or slightly more than a second. During that time, it seems to build a few hundred revs. Then all of a sudeen the car pops into gear and lurches forward, from which point everything is fine.

And it seems in all of these cases, the car wants to spend absolutely no time in first gear. It just goes in second.

Even though I know that first gear is short on these cars, my vehicle seems to spend almost no time in first gear ever.

comments would be appreciated.

this has happened to me 3 times . i did nothing about it

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    From a couple to a few...

i had the hesitation kind of problem with my b5. turned out it was my o2 sensor popping off. my b6 tip hasn't had to deal with this yet.

'02 A4 1.8TQ Tip Avant
    Dension BT & AuxIn
    '03 A4 1.8TQMS
    APR Snub Mount/TIP/TB Hose, 034 SD MM/RSB/End Links/HFC, Milltek Exhaust, Forge 007P DV, Valeo HD w/ SMFW, Bilstein/H&R, B6S4 F+R Brakes, Hawk HPS, TT386, Revo Stage II, STE PPD
    S4 Side Blades, Aero Wipers, RS4 Pedals, OEM HID, DIY Plasti-Dip Grill, Dension BT & AuxIn
    '04 A4 3.0Q Tip Cabriolet
    B5S4 Front Brakes, Hawk HPS, Dension BT & AuxIn
    '04 Suzuki SV650
    Cabrio air wasn't enough...

Veteran Member Three Rings snosk8tr123's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2007 Audi A4 2.0t

it has happened to me before. but wasn't a big deal
    s-line titanium + plate filler + ecs smoked sidemarkers + GIAC 91 octane + Koni Coilovers + e-code test pipe + DMH electronic exhaust cutout + forge dv + bov spacer + tint + LED city light + LED license plate bulb + Yellow PIAA fogs + White Nokya Headlights + European rewiring of lights + Clear corner and blacked out housing + Red LED door lights and foot well lights + debadged + Black audi rings + Light smoke taillights + VMR vent boost gauge + DOPE sticker (+50 whp)

Senior Member Three Rings ChampionV63.2's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    C230 Kompressor

If your car is NOT quattro then you have a CVT. The CVT does have a tendancy to hesitate and it is considered normal. IF your car is quattro, I have no idea?
    Chip/Custom Cat-back Exhaust w 2.25" piping w/ x-pipe and Thermal R&D mufflers/Stasis Coilovers/RS4 Sway/VMR V718's/15%Tint/Phantom Black Front Filler, Grille and Rear Diffuser/LED License Plate and Interior/CC Mod/Ziza City Lights/Ziza Yellow Fogs/Spoiler/Vag'd/S4 Mirrors/Carbon/K&N Drop In/Pioneer AVIC X120BT/Alpine REF 6.5 Components//JL Audio W6/JL 550.1 & 300.4/JL ZR Components/Laminix tails, etc...My Car is For Sale, Check the Classifieds

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    06 A4 2.0 Avant S-Line

Thanks for the prompt replies. But it is not turbo lag. I am quite familiar with tuyrbo lag. This either feels like the brakes are grabbing, which I don't think is the case, or ECU not allowing the car to engage in first. It just seems to cycle fron N to first and second immediately.

As for quattro or not, it is a quattro and that has no bearing on the issue IMHO.

Veteran Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Jaguar XK, Galant VR4, Mitsubishi Starion, GMC Beau James, Yamaha 650 Turbo

This is a common complaint on the A4 auto tranny. A search will find many of us complaining about it.
    1st to 2nd shift is premature (1500-1800RPM). Audi service managers shrug and say "Its normal." any time I bring it up.
    Audi should correct this with a transmission module reflash, but in that typical Audi attitude we have all come to love, they simply stick you with the problem and turn their backs.
    Welcome to the Audi world, where you are oooohhhh.... number 234,345,232 from the top of their important customer list.
    I have learned to launch in S, then just bump it to D when rolling.

Vince
    Current = 2007 Jaguar XK
    RIP Brilliant Red 2005.5 A4Q 2.0T, TIP. Premium, Lighting, Shade, Cold weather, and Audio packages.
    Mods: Shift Paddles added, Enkie PF01, Eibach Pro, Koni FSD, H&R 20mm Sway, USP Stainless brake lines, Tint, APR stage 1, K&N, Stern Adjustables.
    MP3 is the McDonnalds equivalent of music. Both have their place, but neither cater to quality.

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    06 A4 2.0 Avant S-Line

RVT,

Thanks for the reply. In a way I am glad to know I am not the only one with this issue.

I did speak with the service manager today and booked an appointment to have it looked at. He sounded sympathetic and said he would try to research the problem before I took the car in. I will update once I have taken the car in next week.

I did suggest to the service manager that a flash of the ECU might be needed to at least make it try to re-learn my driving habit. He said he would consider it. It sounds like no one has had a fix performed for this issue though.

AZ Member #

Sounds like your issue from a stop could be something with your torque converter not grabbing soon enough.

OR

k, watch the gear number indicator. our trannys don't like to downshift to first from second unless they absolutely have to - kick over to TIP once and find out why. first is extremely short. anyway, when you "pop" off the line, your speed/rpm is probably not low enough to automatically drop to first under deceleration. when you hit the go pedal, it realizes it's too low in the RPM range to comfortably accelerate in 2nd, so it drops down to 1st, then applies the power. i recommend driving around in TIP for a bit and trying it out to see if that's what you feel. force the shifts just like that. you'll see that whenever you're coming to a stop and you downshift from 2nd to 1st when you have ANY speed above about 3 mph, the car will jerk quite noticeably when 1st engages. sadly, normal.
    2011 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab SR5

SOLD 10/2011
    2008 A4 Avant 2.0TQ Tip in Quartz Grey
    APR Stg 1; RS4 Rear Sway; 034 Turbo Inlet Pipe; 35% tint; 640 SWITCH mod; GROM-I2-VAGD + Proclip

Apostrophes: how to use them Baby Jesus cries when you misuse apostrophes.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Jaguar XK, Galant VR4, Mitsubishi Starion, GMC Beau James, Yamaha 650 Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by minameismud View Post
    Sounds like your issue from a stop could be something with your torque converter not grabbing soon enough.

OR

k, watch the gear number indicator. our trannys don't like to downshift to first from second unless they absolutely have to - kick over to TIP once and find out why. first is extremely short. anyway, when you "pop" off the line, your speed/rpm is probably not low enough to automatically drop to first under deceleration. when you hit the go pedal, it realizes it's too low in the RPM range to comfortably accelerate in 2nd, so it drops down to 1st, then applies the power. i recommend driving around in TIP for a bit and trying it out to see if that's what you feel. force the shifts just like that. you'll see that whenever you're coming to a stop and you downshift from 2nd to 1st when you have ANY speed above about 3 mph, the car will jerk quite noticeably when 1st engages. sadly, normal.
    I'll certainly be interested in hearing what the OP get from his Stealership, but I have to say that for my issue your possible explanation is way off the mark. Mine (and many others ) is directly related to the programmed shifting pattern in the Transmission Control Module. This is not a stop to start issue that would point to the Torque converter, but a rolling shift from 1st to 2nd(and ONLY 1st to 2nd). It is a quite scary feeling to pull to in traffic and have the car temporarily "stall" while suddenly deciding to shift gears withing the first ten feet of roll(1500RPM).

Complaints to the dealer showed no concern whatsoever, even with complete acknowledgment of the problem. All I got was "sorry, that's how it is".

I'd love to shove this problem down their throats, because it is a completely scary feeling everyday. No car owner should have this fear built in and normal for a car.

Vince
    Current = 2007 Jaguar XK
    RIP Brilliant Red 2005.5 A4Q 2.0T, TIP. Premium, Lighting, Shade, Cold weather, and Audio packages.
    Mods: Shift Paddles added, Enkie PF01, Eibach Pro, Koni FSD, H&R 20mm Sway, USP Stainless brake lines, Tint, APR stage 1, K&N, Stern Adjustables.
    MP3 is the McDonnalds equivalent of music. Both have their place, but neither cater to quality.

Established Member Two Rings cgmiller63's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2006 Audi A4

I have the same issue and was told it was normal for the CVT tranny coupled with turbo lag. It mostly happends during warmer weather. This is the only thing I dislike about the car.
    - Celia

Veteran Member Four Rings RedS-line's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2006 A4 S-Line, 1990 944 S2

^it is from a stop and it is likely the torque converter. I have the same thing. The solution comes from really learning how to 'beat' the lag with your right foot. you could probably use two feet and avoid it as well.
    In search of my next ride.......have an A6 for sale? let me know!

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    06 A4 2.0 Avant S-Line

In may case, it happens both when I come to a rolling stop AND when I come to a full stop and wait to turn.

And it certainly is scary, because there are times when I am getting ready to make a left turn, and I press the gas pedal, whether softly or with authority, only to have the car wait a full second or so and then lurch forward into the turn while cars are coming at me. And now they are closer than expected because of the hesitation.... This could seriously cause a problem for one of us someday.

Established Member Two Rings sider1681's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2005 Audi A4 3.2L

This has become a normal experience with myself as well, but it's not any type of turbo lag, I have a 3.2 and no turbo. It's still annoying though, and it seems like every day there's another stop sign going up in my neighbor hood. i've just gotten used to it, i just push he peddle harder and it goes, or most of the time I don't even stop...

Veteran Member Four Rings airbornerifleman's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2013 Passat TDI

I thinking its something to do with the torque converter too.

Yes I have this problem sometimes when rolling on a right/left turn or on a hill and I tap the gas quickly and at about 30%+ load.
    2006 Audi 2.0T quattro Tiptronic

APR Stage 2+
    OEM+

Senior Member Three Rings ryan_sn's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2012 A4 Quattro Tiptronic Monsoon Grey

I've had this problem for a while now. I'm actually gonna bring it to Audi in May and see if they do anything about it. Doubt they will though.
    2012 A4 Quattro 2.0T
    Monsoon Grey

Established Member Two Rings Rosinbag's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I had a lame pause, too...until I got the APR flash. Before the flash, the car was so slow it was kind of scary.
    The Rosinbag
    '07 A8L Q

Veteran Member Four Rings Sanjman's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    nothing else special

is this your first turbo car? this is not a problem when you are braking and sometimes hard the car doesn't switch to a lower gear as you slow... sometimes it holds a gear as you slow and when you press on the accelerator it takes a while to boost up to push the car. maybe i'm wrong about everything AFTER I said "this is not a problem" but it really is just a characteristic of our cars.

Established Member Two Rings cloaked's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Lightbulb Re: Auto transmission - Hesitate on take off - No time in first gear problem

I experienced the same stall/lag issue, my car was a lease return so it was well kept. I test drove it and spent too much time hard on the throttle giving it the beans instead of checking for it's city driving habits had I done this I wouldn't have bought this car. This car has some major flaws in stock form I would even call it unsafe for my driving style and general unsafe features. I find it hard to believe that people buy these cars and leave them bonestock that's crazy. I felt I would be a sitting duck if I didn't do something quick with the power and delivery. So I tried GIAC which wasn't for me then installed APR. now I'm running an APR plus 2, it's great to have options. If the B-7 has the same issues as the B6 well I'm going to leave this alone.

Established Member Two Rings 377Z's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I have a 2004 3.0Q tip and I have a similar problem when moving. Rolling in traffic, then giving it a sudden 1/2 to 3/4 throttle leaves the car confused for a second, as if its like "really? You want to go, NOW? Alright, I'll pick up my shit,"

Whats worse, is that this soggy response contrasts SHARPLY with the strange behavior from a dead stop: it actually lurches/lunges forward for an instant at tip in. Even with a smooth & fairly slow application of throttle, it feels as if the throttle is momentarilly 'goosed' open, causing the car to jump forward. It may sound great in comparison to the lag, but its really noticeable in heavy traffic and very tiresome to have your neck snapped around, particularly for passengers. Plus, the uninitiated think the driver is a ham-fisted retard.

Personally, I think the problem is a combination of several things:

1) Wacky DBW tuning where it is not 1:1 in certain situations. Probably set up to make the car feel more powerful than it is for the unwashed masses. The dead spots where the response is soggy are probably the easy way out for emissions testing. Its monkey business that reminds me of the 1979-1984 Eldorados with the 4100 motors: they had a much shorter than normal pedal travel--it fooled people into thinking the car was stronger than it was (until they went to floor it & realized they were almost there already).

2) Clumsy shift mapping. There is some wacky shift strategies going on in there, and the no time in 1st is a direct result of this. I noticed it in the Q7 loaner we had last time--very annoying because the 1-2 shift actually takes LONGER than the time it spends in 1st gear. On my own car, I also notice in many situations the trans shifts too soon/too late. I wish there was an aftermarket software that cracked the maps, I'd love to try my hand at enhancing them. Fortunately, at least we can switch around between several 'pre-fabbed' strategies with the VAG com; still waiting for my cable.

Guys, next time you drive your car try to duplicate the situation that causes the hesitation, but before getting on it, flick the shifter into tip mode. Odds are, you are in 2nd, and when you gas it the trans goes down to 1st, then back into 2nd. Putting it into tip mode will (at least on my B6) keep the trans in 2nd, instead of wasting time shifting down to 1st only to almost immediately shift into 2nd actually spending more time shifting than going in the first couple seconds. If putting it in tip mode makes it go away, its simply the shift strategy.

3) Lazy shifts. Great for the unwashed masses, since most just want a smooth ride. Why they didn't tune it to have smooth shifts at lesser throttle applications, and have higher line pressures/firmer & faster shifts at higher throttle applications is beyond me (and yes, it is possible to do that). Here again I'd love to get the transmission manual & look into how it regulates line pressures, and which accumulators correspond with which shifts, etc & do my own R&D on a home shift kit but IIRC the manual is some $800, with no guarantee of result. Still thinking about that one, but odds are it won't happen.

Couple a lazy DBW setup with a lazy shift & a shift strategy that doesn't know whether its coming or going, and, well, we all know the outcome. Personally, I'll be happy if I can just get rid of the damn 'lunge.'
    2007 Volvo S60R
    2005 A4 2.0T Quattro
    1998 Ford Explorer Sport 4X4