Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Site Moderator Four Rings AvanTTix's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B6 A4 1.8T Avant, MKI TT 1.8T 225hp Roadster

Auto wipers/Rain sensor.

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I'm thinking about the next retrofit and along w/ the auto-light and coming home feature, I'm considering the auto wipers/rain sensor.

So I was wondering if anyone has done that one before. From what I've gathered thus far, the rain sensor is located in the mirror housing:

"The rain sensor activates the windshield wipers automatically when rain or other moisture appears on the windshield, and adapts the wiper interval to match the amount of rain. How it works: light-emitting diodes inside the rain sensor emit an invisible infrared light which is reflected by the outside surface of the windscreen and measured by photodiodes. If the full amount of light returns to the photodiode, the windshield is dry. A film of water or drops on the windscreen break up the light emitted. As the measuring process is permanent, the electronics can control the wiper intervals perfectly."

What I'm trying to figure out is what else is needed beside the mirror? I'd suspect there might be some wiring involved, unless the light/rain information is passed through the same wires as the light information for the auto dimming mirrors, which could well be the case.

Any info would be very much appreciated...
    Stéph - Moderator

MY2003 B6 A4 1.8T Avant
    : DenimBlue||Ebony||5-Speed MT||Quattro||Premium Package||Sport Package
    MY2002 MKI TT 1.8T Roadster: BrilliantWhite||RedAmber w/ Baseball Optic||6-Speed MT||Quattro||Premium Package||Audio Package

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2004 B6 A4 1.8t 6MT; 2013 F30 320i 6MT

Re: Auto wipers/Rain sensor.

I'm pretty sure you need a new wiper stalk too...iirc my gf's B7 has a button or something that you hit in order to activate the auto wipers (which don't work very well fwiw). As for the wiring, I'm not sure, but I'll poke around in Bentley later and see if I can find anything
    Dahlback | AWE | Milltek | Vogtland | H-Sport | Oettinger | Thule | OEM+

Registered Member Four Rings B6JoeS4's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Terminator Cobra

my dad has them on his gmc envoy and they dont work that great. they have a mind of their own and only work correctly if it is a constant rainfall. if it is misting or if it stops raining and the roads are still wet and you are getting mist on your windshield, they wont turn on. i say skip it. they are cool for the first month but then thy ust get downright annoying.

don't think that they suck just because its on a GMC. then entire system is made by Valeo

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '04 A4 1.8T Sport

The system is pretty shitty on Lexus's too (I'm talking new ones).

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by QTC View Post
    I'm pretty sure you need a new wiper stalk too...
    I'm hoping I don't based on the instructions from the manual, check (2).
    Stéph - Moderator

MY2003 B6 A4 1.8T Avant
    MY2002 MKI TT 1.8T Roadster: BrilliantWhite||RedAmber w/ Baseball Optic||6-Speed MT||Quattro||Premium Package||Audio Package

Veteran Member Three Rings aaronz's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Spiders

How do you know if you have these? I thought I did, put it in spot 2 then it didn't seem to do anything..... is there a sure fire way to check? Is it that little black bubble on your dash by the middle speaker?
    2013 S4 DSG Build Thread

VAG-COM equipped if you need help

Veteran Member Four Rings Pothole's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2004 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro 6Spd, 1997 Jetta Trek

Weird my friend has em in his 07 silverado, and my dad on his 08 suburban, they both love em, i cant imagine that there any different than on a GMC, its the same thing

wish i had them on my car, post up a DIY if you can get it to work
    Please Drive Right

FS: TT ballast, GTI Stock Springs, 2.0 Cams

Looks like there is a new stalk

8E0 953 503 C 4PK

I'll try running down the rest of the parts.

Veteran Member Three Rings derleicaman's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Hey Steph, don't know about the stalk thing, but you will need a new rearview mirror I would bet. I have the rain sensor on my MKIV GTI. The "button" that the rearview mirror attaches to was different than the one without rain sensor. The sensor element is in a void in the middle of the button, which is glued to the window glass. You would have to remove the small attachment point, glue on the new button, add new mirror and stalk and attendant wiring. I would go look at a B6 or B7 that had rain sensor to verify all of this.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Greg@DTH View Post
    Looks like there is a new stalk

8E0 953 503 C 4PK

I'll try running down the rest of the parts.
    Hum, that might more $$$ than what I want to put in right now. If you get an opportunity to figure out what else, beside the mirror, sensor and stalk, would be needed I'd be interested to know still. It might just ended on the long term to do list like the folding/tilting mirrors were a while back.
    Stéph - Moderator

MY2003 B6 A4 1.8T Avant

I searched every single part I could think of in ETKA and have come up empty, besides the stalk.

There are no listings for sensors, harnesess or anything else.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by derleicaman View Post
    Hey Steph, don't know about the stalk thing, but you will need a new rearview mirror I would bet. I have the rain sensor on my MKIV GTI. The "button" that the rearview mirror attaches to was different than the one without rain sensor. The sensor element is in a void in the middle of the button, which is glued to the window glass. You would have to remove the small attachment point, glue on the new button, add new mirror and stalk and attendant wiring. I would go look at a B6 or B7 that had rain sensor to verify all of this.
    Thanks for the info Bill. I do already have a lead on a mirror w/ the rain sensor, but I don't yet know whether it also had auto-dimming w/ compass features.
    Stéph - Moderator

MY2003 B6 A4 1.8T Avant

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Greg@DTH View Post
    I searched every single part I could think of in ETKA and have come up empty, besides the stalk.

There are no listings for sensors, harnesess or anything else.
    Interesting. Maybe the data go via the same wiring as for the auto-dimming. I'll ask Freddie to run down/figure out the wiring diagram.
    Stéph - Moderator

MY2003 B6 A4 1.8T Avant

Veteran Member Three Rings derleicaman's Avatar
    AZ Member #

It's great that you have someone to help figure this stuff out. I'm working with diagnosticator on the auto dimming side mirrors wiring. You get cross-eyed looking at the Bentley!

According to vagcat, there is a Euro only option for Police A4s of a submachinegun holder! What an interesting mod!

Veteran Member Three Rings aaronz's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Spiders

So how do you tell if you have them or not....I need rain!
    2013 S4 DSG Build Thread

VAG-COM equipped if you need help