Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Registered Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

How do I get salt stains out of the carpet?

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    OK, we get lots of snow in West Michigan and that means salt on the roads (and on the carpet in my allroad.) I've tried lots of water and a vacuum - didn't work. Tried vinegar and water - didn't work very well. What is the solution (no pun) to getting it out?

TIA

- Chuck Miller

Established Member Two Rings jaymac's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Re: How do I get salt stains out of the carpet?

subscribed~

Veteran Member Four Rings lookaught's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Aprilia SXV 550, BMW F800GS, Honda CRF450R, Toyota Tundra

Rent a steam cleaner perhaps? My local grocery store rents them for about $15/day.

I feel like the more chemicals you put into carpets to clean them, the worse the carpet gets over time. That's what happened in my B5, and I'm just planning to have my car detailed by a shop this spring so they can use the steamer on the seats and carpet. It worked magic on me mums MB that has light gray carpet... went from black to grey, no joke!
    Jon

WTB 1.8t cylinder honing brush - PM me if you have one!

go > show

Ich liebe mein Audi!

2002 GTRS Avant - Built with love, sweat, bloody knuckles, and pride.

Senior Member Two Rings Dark 'n' Dirty's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by lookaught View Post
    Rent a steam cleaner perhaps? My local grocery store rents them for about $15/day.

I feel like the more chemicals you put into carpets to clean them, the worse the carpet gets over time. That's what happened in my B5, and I'm just planning to have my car detailed by a shop this spring so they can use the steamer on the seats and carpet. It worked magic on me mums MB that has light gray carpet... went from black to grey, no joke!
    Unless I'm totally off, you still have to add chemicals to a steam cleaner to extract the dirt from your floormats. The steam cleaners that you rent from the grocery stores have non-foaming solutions and a liquid soap. Unless you're strictly using hot water, it's impossible to avoid using some sort of chemicals. I just wouldn't do it as often. Floormats are meant to be used and they'll breakdown eventually. All-weather floormats are the way to go in my opinion. Especially if you live somewhere where it snows a lot .

Veteran Member Four Rings aaronz's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Spiders
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by Dark 'n' Dirty View Post
    Unless I'm totally off, you still have to add chemicals to a steam cleaner to extract the dirt from your floormats. The steam cleaners that you rent from the grocery stores have non-foaming solutions and a liquid soap. Unless you're strictly using hot water, it's impossible to avoid using some sort of chemicals. I just wouldn't do it as often. Floormats are meant to be used and they'll breakdown eventually. All-weather floormats are the way to go in my opinion. Especially if you live somewhere where it snows a lot .

Yeah but even with the all weathers you still get salt creep around the edges of the dead pedal and on the corners and edges of the mat.
    2013 S4 DSG Build Thread

VAG-COM equipped if you need help

Senior Member Two Rings Dark 'n' Dirty's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by aaronz View Post
    Yeah but even with the all weathers you still get salt creep around the edges of the dead pedal and on the corners and edges of the mat.
    Agreed, but you'll have much less to clean up. In my experience, the salt creep can usually be taken care of with a stiff brush, some warm water or Adam's Carpet & Upholestry, and a dry towel.

AZ Member #

Even with the allroad winter mats....

Quote Originally Posted by Dark 'n' Dirty View Post
    I get a lot of snow/water/salt on my carpet. We received about 130" of snow so I was constantly dragging that and salt into the car. The edge of the mat looks ample but I still seem to get lots of salt water along the edge and under my seat. I did order Adam's Carpet and Upholstery Cleaner so we'll see how that works. I wanted to get under my seat - thought about taking it out but in looking at Bentley's it looks like the sided air bags are hooked into it - I don't want to set those boys off.

Veteran Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

I live half my year in VT so I know about messy carpet. I do however use all weather mats though. My recommendation is spray on OxiClean........great stuff! Spray it down and use a medium stiff bristled brush. Then rinse with warm water and vaccum. You'll have solid results

AZ Member #

Get a carpet brush. Scrub salt stain. Shop-Vac up loose salt. Repeat. Once you are done with the dry method.....

Mix some woolite and water (I use distilled, but I am nuts) in a spray bottle. Spray and scrub with brush. Shop-Vac up. Also you can use a MF towel to pick up the actual stain.

Veteran Member Three Rings Alan's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    1998 2.8QM 1988 Corvette

I got HORIBBLEst salt ains out of my dads jeep by using Detail King carpet cleaner, some water, and i just scrubbed it then used a wet/dry vac to suck water out.

Veteran Member Four Rings boravr6's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    09 CTS-V

water and vinegar mix.

It will froth up but just be ready to shop vac or MF towel to soak it up.
    ** Proud to support **
    JHMotorsports
    AUDI Revolution

~ 2009 Blue Diamond Tricoat CTS-V
    ~ 2006 TD1 Imola B7 S4 sedan 6MT *SOLD*
    ~ 2004 Silver B6 S4 sedan 6MT *SOLD*

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    09 CTS-V

saw the ad for this product in a magazine this morning.. i think its exactly what your looking for

http://www.lubco.ca/salt_eraser.php
    ** Proud to support **
    JHMotorsports
    AUDI Revolution

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by boravr6 View Post
    saw the ad for this product in a magazine this morning.. i think its exactly what your looking for

http://www.lubco.ca/salt_eraser.php
    Thanks. I sent an email to them to see if they sell their product in the US.

-cm

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    09 CTS-V

did you get your stains out? How did it work out and what did you use?
    ** Proud to support **
    JHMotorsports
    AUDI Revolution

Senior Member Two Rings snowbird's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '04 Audi S4, '90 & '95 Corrado

Quote Originally Posted by aaronz View Post
    Yup. I'm very careful about dragging snow into the car, but still had the worst salt (or whatever they use now!) stains ever after this winter. It was actually crystalizing around the bottom corners of the dead-pedal.

I used my Swissvax wheel brush (not an overly stiff, med-long bristled brush), and brushed on some warm water on the stains to help start dissolving the salt. Then I sprayed on 303 Upholtery/Carpet cleaner and agitated with the brush. Use a wet/dry vac to suck up the mess, then repeat if necessary. Finally, rinse by brushing on clean water, vacuum as much moisture away as possible, then pat dry with a MF towel.

Came out really well. Should have taken pics.

Registered Member One Ring AnnieDTaylor's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by lookaught View Post
    Rent a steam cleaner perhaps?
    i agree :)

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Jaguar XFR V8 Stratus Grey í10- Audi S8 4.2 Night Blue Pearl '08 - Mercedes 380SL Beige '84

Road Salt Stains

Are usually caused by calcium chloride and magnesium chloride. Use a stiff brush to dislodge any loose road salt and then vacuum, spray the area with a carpet cleaner and let it soak in, rinse with plenty of water and repeat until most of the stain has been lifted. Finally clean carpets by spraying the area with a carpet shampoo rinse and then remove with a carpet extractor.

(Dry) Salt is inert but be aware that once you add water ( by meting the snow / ice ) to salt it becomes alkaline (corrosive) take care to dry the affected area thoroughly after the salt has been removed and neutralize it with an mild acid (vinegar) Spray vinegar, agitate, allow to remain in place and then use an extractor. Actually, any mildly acidic product should neutralize alkaline salt crystals (Salt-X - http://www.saltx.com/saltx_base_order.htm )

Note: Once you add reactivity (heat) and water this combination makes salt very corrosive
    ~ Providing unbiased advice that Professional and Enthusiast Detailerís Trust ~ Blog TOGWT