Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Senior Member Three Rings JayDog747's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2007 S4, 2008 Subaru Outback,2015 Silverado

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Does anyone have a DIY for a CVT fluid change on a B8?

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by shawn9509 View Post
    Does anyone have a DIY for a CVT fluid change on a B8?
    I haven't seen anything online for that. Have you checked the Haynes or Chilton books? Haynes has the ATF change procedure for the B7, I'm guessing it's listed in the B8 guide as well.

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    08 A4 Q Stock, '58 Porsche 356A, '73 BMW 2002

Quote Originally Posted by JayDog747 View Post
    I dont believe that place is still in business?!? They wont answer emails. Has anyone used them recently?

Established Member Two Rings aviator79's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by a911sc View Post
    I posted this in one of the other tranny threads.

I’ve done a lot of research on the TIPTRONIC automatic tranny fluid requirements for our B7 A4’s. Seems like the A6 and A8 forums have some good information too so I thought I would post a summary of my findings here. I am doing a radiator R&R and will end up losing almost 1L of fluid so I need to either top it off or do a drain and re-fill.

The confusing part of all this is actually very simple. The transmissions code (found with Vag-Com in the transmission module) that is programmed into the TCM has to match up with the fluid that is in the tranny.

Here is an example TCM code from the transmission module (this was for a A6 BTW). I have not pulled mine yet so I’m assuming a B7s is similar:
    Address 02: Auto Trans Labels: 09L-927-760.lbl
    Part No SW: 4F1 910 156 H HW: 09L 927 156
    Component: AG6 09L 3.2 FSI USA 0020
    Revision: --H01--- Serial number: 0088974
    Coding: 0000002
    Shop #: WSC 02331 785 00200
    VCID: 29594B5380E2031

This transmission is coded with “0020” (on the Component line) which for a A6 is the new software code – more on this below – keep reading.

There is a TSB 37-06-13 that addressed a hooting/squeaking tranny issue that shows the old and new software codes for the various vehicles including the B7 A4s. I’ll try to attach this TSB if I can. You can find it via google search too. From the TSB it looks like all our B7 A4s were originally coded with “0010” and the new software version varies from “0040”, “0060”, and “0090” depending on which tranny type you have.

Our cars originally came with the Lifeguard 6 (yellow) G-055-005-A2. The fluid was later updated to Lifeguard 6+ (blue) G-055-162-A2 with a corresponding update to the tranny software – see TSB. This 6+ fluid didn’t last long and was superseded by the Lifeguard 8 (green) G-060-162-A2. The 6+ (blue) and the 8 (green) are interchangeable/intermixable as long as you have the new software code, however, the 6 (yellow) should not be mixed with the 6+ or 8. I believe it takes a flush to switch from the 6 to the 8. I read somewhere that the Lifeguard 8 has a thinner viscosity so apparently the shifting algorithms were revised to allow for this and if you use it with the old software code tranny damage could result.

In order to pick the correct fluid you need to determine what software code you have (old or new). If you have the new software then there has most likely been some service work done to your car where the dealer changed the fluid and the fluid should be either blue or green. In which case you should stay with the Lifeguard 8 (green) fluid.

If you have the old software code “0010” you have a decision to make. Either stick with the old fluid G-055-005-A2 Lifeguard 6 (yellow) or flush the old fluid out and use the new Lifeguard 8 with a software update. Now is this simple or what?

As far as costs go. The ZF fluids are cheaper than the stealer. www.thectsc.com has the Lifeguard 8 for $34 a liter or $245 a case of 12. The Lifeguard 6 is $18 a liter and $197 a case of 12. Blauparts caries a Ravenol ATF HP6 that they say is G-055-005-A2 (Lifeguard 6, yellow) compatible for $15 per L and $167 for case of 12 (I found some data sheets on the HP6 and it does show compatibility to the G-055-005-A2) I have not found and reports of folks using this stuff. ECS also shows a Redline ATF but again I have not heard of folks using it. Some A6 folks were brave enough to use Mercon SP in their trannies. I’m not that much of a risk taker. For a service that is done every 80-100K miles I see no reason to not use the ZF fluids. To drop the pan, drain and fill takes about 5.5L. Apparently there is about 4L left in the tranny so a full flush takes about 9L.

Hopes this helps......
    I dont think a911sc is on here anymore but maybe someone can help

Audi dealer is telling me that per my vin to use G060162A2 which is ZF8 / green. Per above post they are wrong and per TSB my car falls in line with needing SW update to switch to blue (ZF6++ which is not ZF8 green I assume). I have not been able to check SW version and this is the only way it seems I might resolve what fluid I should use.

Per this post I would use the ZF8 due to build date 06/02:
    Pre 12/11/05 needs update or else use older tan fluid.
    http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...1#post12119350

I have the ZF6 fluid and ordered the ZF8. I am again for third time confused about what fluid to use. I cannot believe how many hours I have spent trying to figure out what fluid to use. So dealer parts guy is wrong? AOA knows nothing. Dealer service knows nothing. They said the trans is sealed and you cannot change the fluid.

Fluid sort of looks green, or could just be dirty:

EDIT,
    just bought Ross Tech Cable. Now "only" $200. Now I can check trans SW version as well as monitor temp but will have to wait for it to arrive. Should be here by Friday.
    Last edited by aviator79; 01-11-2017 at 11:21 AM.
    Stock B7 A4 quattro

Bolted MS6

Veteran Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2010 Acura RDX (my wife's vehicle)

Use Audi branded fluid.
    2007 A4 3.2L quattro in Deep Sea Blue Pearl Effect with beige interior; RS4 rear sway bar; basic VAGCOM mods; tan WeatherTech floor liners.

Established Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by doughboy17 View Post
    Use Audi branded fluid.
    Or the correct ZF fluid lifeguard 6 or 8 (6+ was the predecessor to 8 iirc) , which is the same fluid just not with the audi label. Same bottle even
    2005.5 Dolphin Grey A4 Avant 2.0T Tip / Premium / Lighting / Cold Weather / Sport
    RAI K0R-GT / JHM K04 Tune / 034 HFC -> B7 S4 CB/ ST Coilovers / Hyperco 8" 750 Lb / 034 RSB / 15% Tint / S-Line Paddle MFSW / 034 Street Motor and Trans Mounts

Active Member Two Rings atvhead's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    A4

try to shine a light through your old fluid. if it looks honey color at all, go with the tan fluid. i bought a kit from a company and it came with the tranny fluid in the gold bottles (Ravenol?), and it works like a champ. Kit came with filter, gasket, plugs, pump, etc. really a good kit. BlauParts i believe.

yea i just checked and it was Blauparts. Go there and read their write up about tranny service on audis. it explains the colors and whatnot.
    2007 A4 2.0T AWD....100% stock!

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by atvhead View Post
    try to shine a light through your old fluid. if it looks honey color at all, go with the tan fluid. i bought a kit from a company and it came with the tranny fluid in the gold bottles (Ravenol?), and it works like a champ. Kit came with filter, gasket, plugs, pump, etc. really a good kit. BlauParts i believe.

yea i just checked and it was Blauparts. Go there and read their write up about tranny service on audis. it explains the colors and whatnot.

Freek! ? No, must just be a coincidence.

At this point I am just going to wait for cable to check SW version.

If 010 I should use gold, if 030 I will use green.

Audi called back and said I would have to get SW update if changed ATF. $147. So I may do that if 010 (use green), or may just use gold and do switch to green later when I can get it dealer as wifes car and been down for 2 weeks now.
    Stock B7 A4 quattro

Bolted MS6

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gonemtbiking View Post
    Or the correct ZF fluid lifeguard 6 or 8 (6+ was the predecessor to 8 iirc) , which is the same fluid just not with the audi label. Same bottle even
    Okay. I just know that Flykits STRONGLY recommends using Audi fluid. Best wishes on the DIY.
    2007 A4 3.2L quattro in Deep Sea Blue Pearl Effect with beige interior; RS4 rear sway bar; basic VAGCOM mods; tan WeatherTech floor liners.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    A4

Quote Originally Posted by aviator79 View Post
    Freek! ? No, must just be a coincidence.

At this point I am just going to wait for cable to check SW version.

If 010 I should use gold, if 030 I will use green.

Audi called back and said I would have to get SW update if changed ATF. $147. So I may do that if 010 (use green), or may just use gold and do switch to green later when I can get it dealer as wifes car and been down for 2 weeks now.
    Freek? did i miss something?

AZ Member #

Sorry just saw your username and thought could be ATVfreek on mazdaspeedforums, also from NH, tuner for mazda, VW/Audi...
    http://www.freektune.com/
    Stock B7 A4 quattro

Bolted MS6

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    A4

No harm done!

AZ Member #

Idk why cant attach pics again. Will post in DIY thread as i think i can attach pics there then link back to here.

I put some old ATF in a ziplock and i see no green and do see tan/gold though very dirty. So feel u are right. It is actually the zf6. I got both but europaparts seemed to have failed to ship vag-com cable so I either wait or just fill with ZF and be done or use zf8 and get update sw from aud if neededi. The ZF8 clearly has a green tint.

Assuming my car calls for gold, ZF6, even if i were to go with ZF8 and take it to audi and get software update id still have a mix as nearly 3L of the old fluid are in converter so seems bad idea unless u do the flush which im sure cost a grand. However, I did read a post where guy changed to ZF8, then went to audi and got SW update and car then drove great as it didnt shift into 2nd so fast like it currently does.

So im torn on what to do. Along with if im again wrong and fill with gold and should have used green. But really have to finish car and if cable not arriving this weekend i have to make a desision and fill atf. Ive been driving my wife to work for 2 weeks...
    Stock B7 A4 quattro

Bolted MS6

AZ Member #
    My Garage

I do not recommend filling the tranny case with fluid without VAGCOM. The process requires it.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    A4

FWIW - i did mine without vagcom. Car needs to be level and i used a temp probe inserted into the tanny pan. I bought the prode at HF and bent the rod to fit through the hole. I built simple concrete block ramps and drove the car up so i had lots of room underneath. Of course, do this at your own risk.

Then follow the guidlines about watching the temp, engine running, cycle through gears, etc.

What I have been told is if you have tan/gold fluid and the car shifts fine (no chattering, chirping, etc), just use the same tan fluid and no computer changes are needed.

Established Member Three Rings pezgoon's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I thought the vag com was needed to monitor temp and fluid level not for it to know what type it is?

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine
    Eric

2005.5 6mt A4 2.0(red T ) Silver metallic outside, Platinum inside.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    A4

Quote Originally Posted by pezgoon View Post
    I thought the vag com was needed to monitor temp and fluid level not for it to know what type it is?

correct - but just temp, not fluid level. Its full when at proper temp and it runs back out the fill spout

Established Member Three Rings pezgoon's Avatar
    AZ Member #

correct - but just temp, not fluid level. Its full when at proper temp and it runs back out the fill spout
    Ah... isn't there a dipstick? Do you not fill through the dipstick?

Eric

2005.5 6mt A4 2.0(red T ) Silver metallic outside, Platinum inside.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    A4

No dipstick. Read the procedure on blauparts website