Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Established Member Two Rings copia22's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B6 A4 1.8TQM

What year Accord most reliable?

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    As some of you may or may not know, I am not able to afford my A4 any longer (insurance and the mounting amount of repairs) I am looking at Accords because of the reliability factor. What year is the best for these cars and is it true that the V6 and automatic transmission are not so good on them?

Also if I was to stay in the VAG family, what about VW's? more specifically the jetta? is this a reliable car and if so what year is the best what about insurance which one of them would be the cheapest.

Also if you have any suggestions please let me know, my budget is $10,000 I want something extremely reliable, cheap on gas, insurance and etc. It will be extremely hard to drive something "sub par" compared to what I have been used to but times like this you have to swallow your pride and do what you can to survive.

Thanks guys

Veteran Member Four Rings CruzS4's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    WK2

Re: What year Accord most reliable?

i don't think they ever made an "unreliable" accord, per se
    '11 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo X
    Blackberry Pearl/Black - 4x4 - V6
    '09 328i coupe 6MT Sport RIP
    SG/CR - BMW SSK/alcantara boot - 30% Llumar - shadowline - BBS Style 197 - Logic7 - LUX H8 V3 LED - Continental - OEM Aero lip - e92 M3 lip spoiler

Some people just like to talk shit...about everything
    -TJ

Veteran Member Four Rings arorem's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '99 A4 1.8TQ, '74 Triumph Spitfire

the new ones are pretty good looking.

Veteran Member Four Rings ProOnThaSnow's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    97 Civic HB 6266'd K24 build/1992 NA1 NSX/03 Yukon/01 F350 CC PSD

The 90-93 accords with routine maintenance can go 350+K. The 94-97(I think) with the F or H series engines in them are all reliable. The newer ones yet are reliable as hell. You can't go wrong with an Accord. If you're buying used, just make sure to have it inspected and that everything is ok on it. I'm putting an 08 Accord engine in my civic, once funds allow me to finish it up, but its going to be built so it can haul ass down the track. If you're planning on modding it (i.e. turbo) and its got an H series in it, be prepared to have the block sleeved, as its pretty much mandatory if you're going to boost it over 8 lbs.
    "There should be a few 'woman free' days when men can take to the streets without the fear that some female, all hopped up on estrogen and bitterness, is going to put their life or property in danger..." - $4c@b

Senior Member Three Rings jpcallmotor's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B5 A4 1.8T

Honda Accords are on of the most maintenance free reliable cars ever! Period.

I have owned 3 with over 250K. Two of them were CB7's (90-93) and I still have the CD6 wagon (94), it has well over 300K. Never had any problems. Very basic to maintain, especially the older gen 4cyls. with the F22 motor.

Your prob. not interested in the older ones since your budget is $10K, but even the newer ones are still great cars, I don't know the common flaws of the newer version, but you can always search reviews if your interested. I wouldn't be surprised to see them lasting as long as the older gen. I don't really have experience with VAG cars, I haven't owned my Audi long. I know that the Jetta VR6 is pretty reliable, they run on the timing chain rather than the belts which are on the 1.8T and 2.0. Also the VR6 is more powerful, I am basing my experience on the older Jetta MK3 VR6, which I have as well.

Veteran Member Four Rings arorem's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '99 A4 1.8TQ, '74 Triumph Spitfire

To answer your question about jettas, i had a 97, and that was a pretty damn reliable car, to some extent it was a bit more reliable than my a4. Just make sure you get one that was made in germany, cause some were built in mexico.

Veteran Member Four Rings blmlozz's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

you can't go wrong with just about any accord. There's really not much to go wrong with them from the start anyway to be honest..The only problem with new V6 Auto's came from toyota as far as I know.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

On the newer ones make sure the second gear synchro doesn't grind if its a 5 or 6 speed. Its not too common, but it has been an issue with some RSX, TSX, and Accords (all the K series engine cars paired with Manual trannys).
    "There should be a few 'woman free' days when men can take to the streets without the fear that some female, all hopped up on estrogen and bitterness, is going to put their life or property in danger..." - $4c@b

Established Member Two Rings copia22's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B6 A4 1.8TQM

Thanks for the advice guys I really appreciate it. As far as modding it no I do not plan on going that route, my goal is to keep the car until I am financially stable to afford a 993 Turbo (my dream car).

My uncle had a 97 accord which he drove it like he stole it and the car never had a problem, but i think everyone has a honda story like that. The ones I am finding have high 90 or in 100K range, should i be scared of this or what I guess I have a different mentality but thats a lot of miles Idk.

Veteran Member Three Rings 617 Bones's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Wife's - MK3 GTI VR6 Vortech S/C

V6 Auto Transmission on the Accord sucked from 98-01, at least!
    Not sure about the more recent Accords.

Hth.
    B7 A4 Avant 2.0T 6MT - Arctic | JHM S/S | 19" VMR v710

Veteran Member Four Rings RomanA6's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2007 Black VW Jetta GLI DSG

you can easily stay with VAG family, just dont go for quattro and turbo/supercharged engine

like a 2.0 Golf/Jetta, or a VR6

Veteran Member Four Rings TMorris's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B5

just get a B5 A4 with the 30V 2.8. You can find one for less then 5K and its a pretty solid car.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

I wouldn't recommend a 30V 2.8 in a B5.. I spent ALOT to keep mine up and running, with only 125K miles.

Account Terminated Four Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2007 S4 MT6; B8 A4 2.0T Avant

we had one that was a little 'lemon fresh' for Honda (2002)

bearing problem (fixed under warranty)
    balljoints needed replacing at 60,000 miles which meant new arms as the bj part is part of a much bigger assembly and can't be bought alone. Cost was about $2000.

other than that it was perfect. funny...2 problems was a honda lemon.

Veteran Member Four Rings TMorris's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B5

Quote Originally Posted by ProOnThaSnow View Post
    I wouldn't recommend a 30V 2.8 in a B5.. I spent ALOT to keep mine up and running, with only 125K miles.
    Really? I drive a 12V (97, bought her at 127K now at 162K) and it does the exact job i need it to. Drive around campus, take hits like a champ, sound pretty good, trick girls into thinking it is newer and most importantly keep costs down so i only have to worry about tuition. I actually purchased the V6 instead of the 1.8T to save me money until i graduate.

I've replaced a cracked coolant reservoir, a flat tire, cleaned out the EGR bologna, and regular maintenance/oil changes. Shes been a dream for 2 1/2 years and will continue taking beatings for another 2.

Established Member Two Rings Sim4's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    05.5 S4

My 2002 Honda Accord V6 was a true thoroughbred.
    “Being four-wheel drive, the Audi's the opposite of a barbeque, it's better when wet - but it's also very good in the dry. The handling is absolutely sublime. This is harnessed lunacy … that’s the thing about the Audi, the engine is a masterpiece, it really is, and it’s beautifully made and very safe.” -Jeremy Clarkson on the S4