Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Registered Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

One of the happiest days of my life... no more clunking!

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    So the story. I had my suspension put on over the summer (Koni Coilovers). I rolled the car out after the suspension install and I hear clunking over every bump. I got my exhaust installed not too long later (MTM). One day I decided to look under the car and saw the tie-rods completely shot.

So I ordered my tie-rods, installed them, crossed my fingers the clunking would be gone. Nope, clunking still there. DAMN IT!

The last couple of days I've really been debating to order new control arms or take the front suspension off and see if I could find any loose items. My exhaust had been making loud rattling sounds at idle and buzzes around 2700-2800 RPM's so I decided to take it to the shop that installed my exhaust and see what they could do. They found a few spots where the exhaust was hitting the frame of the car and they adjusted accordingly.

I went for a test drive and not thinking about it... no more clunking. YES!!!! All my worries are gone!

I just have some buzzing from 2700-2800 rpm's and occasional idle buzzing. I know its the last muffler where the tips come out. The top part (lip) of the muffler is hitting the frame or whatever is right there. There must be like 1mm of clearance because its an on/off thing but it buzzes enough at 2700-2800 rpm's. I'm going to try and wedge a little bit, maybe stick a big piece of rubber between the frame and the muffler to keep it from hitting anything. Thats what you get for buying a used exhaust, doesnt always fit perfect the 2nd time around.

I'm just so happy, thought I'd share the story and possibly some solutions for you all that have clunking.
    Patrick
    2001 1.8t Quattro

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    99.5 1.8T A4

MtM is the $hit!

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    1.8tqms

i have some buzzing in the car at the same speed but i think it might be some plastic in the car.

Forum Moderator Four Rings Daft's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Stg 3 '04 A6 2.7T, '04 A4 3.0Q

I've got a humming noise on decel between 2700-3200 and it's driving me nuts!!! I've been under there so many times looking for it. I hope it isn't the rear diff. One of my DSMs had a pinion gear issue in the rear diff and it was similar to this noise but, that's a big ass job to fix it.
    Brett - Moderator
    Issue?: email me.

AZ Member #

Originally posted by Rieger_RS4
    MtM is the $hit!
    Its a very nicely built exhaust. You just have to expect fitment issues when you install it the second time around. Otherwise I love the sound and the looks of the tips. It was ackward at first with the tips sticking out as far as they do, but it looks a lot better now that I look at it.
    Patrick
    2001 1.8t Quattro

AZ Member #

Originally posted by Daft
    I've got a humming noise on decel between 2700-3200 and it's driving me nuts!!! I've been under there so many times looking for it. I hope it isn't the rear diff. One of my DSMs had a pinion gear issue in the rear diff and it was similar to this noise but, that's a big ass job to fix it.
    I'm definitely not getting a humming... its a real loud buzzing sound. Sounds like you may have something different. Do you have an exhaust? It sounds like there is a characteristic with the exhaust note because mine buzzes at those RPM speeds too.
    Patrick
    2001 1.8t Quattro

Forum Moderator Four Rings Daft's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Stg 3 '04 A6 2.7T, '04 A4 3.0Q

Mine is drivetrain related. It only happens in gear and when deccelerating from 3200 downward. It sounds like it's right under the backseat. I've checked every inch of the driveshaft (that I can get to) and I see no signs of rubbing against the heat shields or floor pan. It's seeming more like diff issues.
    Brett - Moderator
    Issue?: email me.