Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    07 A4 Qtip

Noob. Cost to replace brake pads at dealership.

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Hey guys,

I'm a noob, so here goes. My dealership just called and said I need to replace my rear brake pads. Cost is $605. Is this a fair amount including labour?

Also, since it isn't covered under warranty, technically I can take somewhere else right?

I'm getting it done at Audi for peace of mind but if I can take it somewhere else next time to save some cash $$$, I wouldn't mind either.

Thanks,
    John

Veteran Member Four Rings psiaddict85's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Re: Noob. Cost to replace brake pads at dealership.

hahahaha wow, if it's only pads.....that takes 30-40 mins per side so that's a bit much!

Veteran Member Four Rings ataylor's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    snowboards, mountain bikes, computer parts, wheels, golf clubs, lacrosse sticks

that sounds like a ridiculous price to replace all four brake pads, let alone just the rears..

then again, I'm still used to MK3 GTI prices
    ︻╦╤─

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

That price is insane!

Veteran Member Three Rings Latin Audi's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '63 & '75 Nova
    Items for Sale

I would say thats a rape of a price. Are you against doing it yourself? Not hard and you can save hundreds. If not I'd take it somewhere else, it's such a simple job that the peace of mind of Audi doing it is worthless. Just my opinion.

You sure that price doenst include rotors??
    Brilliant Red 2005.5 A4 2.0T Quattro 6MT
    APR 93 | Evoms CAI | RS4 Sway | CC | De-Badge | ECS Snub Mount | 5%| Ziza City Lights

Veteran Member Four Rings Quattro's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    DUH! an Audi

Changing brake pads are not very hard AT ALL. If you have the tools and location to do it, I say give it a DIY. Honestly, not many ways to mess things up. I have done pad changes on my b7 before its not something extremely hard to do.

the price they quoted you is extremely high, what is included rotors and pads or just pads? You can go with a set of aftermarket pads and upgrade your rotors at the same time. GSG offers this complete package, look them up in the Group Buy section they have good pricing.

Any independent shop should be able to change brake pads for you, the fronts require no special tool, but the rear does, which can be rented (free) or purchased for $40. I am not sure if there is a DIY for brake pad removal, but if you attempt this on the weekend, I am more than willing to walk you through it.

-randy

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    07 A4 Qtip

Thanks for the feedback guys. Damn it, lesson learned.I guess that's how they scam people. I was also told my tires need to be replaced, and the quote was $1,700 installed. (maybe they sprinkle gold flakes in the tires?)

Uh, I'll get back to them on that one.

Veteran Member Four Rings ray-ray's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by aphextwin2050 View Post
    Hey guys,

I'm a noob, so here goes. My dealership just called and said I need to replace my rear brake pads. Cost is $605. Is this a fair amount including labour?

Also, since it isn't covered under warranty, technically I can take somewhere else right?

I'm getting it done at Audi for peace of mind but if I can take it somewhere else next time to save some cash $$$, I wouldn't mind either.

Thanks,
    John

that's the right price if they throw in a dildo too for when they ass rape you
    Old Car: 2003 Audi A4 1.8T Dolphin Grey with AWE GT28R Turbo Kit

New Car: 2008 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro Ibis White, GIAC X-Flash from Torque Factory

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '07 Titanium A4; '05 Z71Burban; '04 WJ.

Just remember if you replace pads, unless your rotor surfaces look mint, you might as well get new ones or at least have them turned. Pads and rotors are as simple a job as you can find for a DIY; if you can change a tire, you can change pads/rotors . Just google and you'll find tons of write-ups on this, you'll save a bundle and you'll make sure everything is done right; plus you get to chose the parts of your liking at better prices if you research online.

The stealership rapes yet again . At the least, go to an independent shop next time.
    2007 A4 2.0T-Q, S-Titanium, 6MT, Brilliant red; couple'a mods and a tenacious driver.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    07 A4 Qtip

Didn't realize the car also has a brake sensor? I didn't get any type of brake icon on my MFA, so I assume they need to fix this too?

Veteran Member Four Rings p1nk50ck's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    06 Audi A4 S-Line

hit up www.importrp.com and you can find some really good prices on brakepads (hawk, axis, etc)

the labor is pretty simple, so you can either hit up a local 'ziner to lend you a helping hand, or take it to a local shop of your choice.

btw - replacing brakepads outside of the dealership does will not void a warranty.

Veteran Member Four Rings vtracer20's Avatar
    AZ Member #

do it yourself....with normal tools (not air tools) will take you no more than a couple hours for the fronts. You'll save yourself a butt load of money....
    2007 A4 S-Line / Ti Pkg / Quattro / Bilstein Pss9 / JHM Short shifter / GIAC X+ chip / RS4 rear sway bar / 20% rear tint / 10mm front 15mm rear spacers / Forge DV / DTM CF replica rear lip spoiler / DTH CF roof spoiler / Cupra R front spoiler (not on) / Infinity BasslinkII sub

looking for: CF front lip / S4 alum mirror hosing

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    07 A4 Qtip

Thanks for the tips.

I guess it turned out to be brake pads and rotors for the back.

Mechanic ordered the wrong parts and now they have it for overnight so I have no car.

Senior Member Three Rings fromGMCtoAUDI's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '08 audi A4 2.0T

Thanks for the tips.

I guess it turned out to be brake pads and rotors for the back.

Mechanic ordered the wrong parts and now they have it for overnight so I have no car.
    They didn't provide you with a loaner/rental? Wow.

Registered Member Four Rings juggernaut201's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    06' A4 2.0T 6MTQ

dear god that is an insane price wow
    *JUGGERNAUT*
    (Revo Stage II + HPFP File, AWE Cat Back, DMH Performance Electric Cutout, Forge Diverter/Spacer, Carbonio Intake, AWE FMIC, Snub Mount, RS4 Motor Mounts, S4 Big Brake Kit, E Code TestPipe, KW Variant 3 Coilovers, H Sport F & R Sways, KMD Fuel Kit, KMD Cam Follower, NGK Colder Plugs, Boost Gauge, South Bend Stage 3 Clutch, ECS Light Weight Pulley,Custom Inlet Pipe, 034 Street Mount, Apikol Rear Diff Mount, JHM SS Kit W/ Linkage Upgrade And Weighted Knob Lo Jack
    276hp/331tq

Veteran Member Four Rings supamannn99's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Quattro View Post
    Changing brake pads are not very hard AT ALL. If you have the tools and location to do it, I say give it a DIY. Honestly, not many ways to mess things up. I have done pad changes on my b7 before its not something extremely hard to do.

the price they quoted you is extremely high, what is included rotors and pads or just pads? You can go with a set of aftermarket pads and upgrade your rotors at the same time. GSG offers this complete package, look them up in the Group Buy section they have good pricing.

Any independent shop should be able to change brake pads for you, the fronts require no special tool, but the rear does, which can be rented (free) or purchased for $40. I am not sure if there is a DIY for brake pad removal, but if you attempt this on the weekend, I am more than willing to walk you through it.

-randy
    randy walked me through the brake pad change. its very easy.. even my granny can do it

Senior Member Three Rings Spiff69's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    07 A4 2.0T Ti Brilliant Black

Quote Originally Posted by ray-ray View Post
    that's the right price if they throw in a dildo too for when they ass rape you
    LMAO

lube is not complimentary

Veteran Member Three Rings Echo3One's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Hey guys,

Thanks,
    John
    What year is your car? Dealership replaced the pads on my 2005.5 for free under warranty.
    Last edited by Echo3One; 02-04-2009 at 01:58 PM.
    2005.5 A4 Quattro 3.2L ~ Brilliant Black ~ RNS-E ~ Siruis Radio

Mods; Carbon Fiber interior trim by; Switchblind360 ~ LED City Lights by; Buttafuoco

Xenon interior lights ~ S6 tip-shifter ~ RS4 pedals

Veteran Member Three Rings Coker Rat's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    06 2.0T A4 w/quattro

Quote Originally Posted by fromGMCtoAUDI View Post
    They didn't provide you with a loaner/rental? Wow.
    hahahah He's in alberta which means there's a 50% chance he's dealing with the same dealership I am. They will give you a ride to the rental company.
    This is where I've been hiding... http://www.600rr.net

Veteran Member Four Rings Bllzll's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    b8

Quote Originally Posted by Echo3One View Post
    What year is your car? Dealership replaced the pads on my 2005.5 for free under warranty.
    warranty
    proof please?

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    07 A4 Qtip

Mine is 2006, how many miles do you have on it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bllzll View Post
    proof please?

Veteran Member Three Rings Echo3One's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Bllzll View Post
    proof please?
    Sorry, I don't have any proof. The Audi tech I usually work with when I do my visits to the dealership did a full on inspection before I hit 50K. He also mentioned the year of my car fell under the warranty where my pads would be replaced for free. So I don't know if this is the case with 2006 and up. Maybe somebody here that works for Audi, or knows anything about warranty's can chime in. My car was pushing close to 49K miles.
    2005.5 A4 Quattro 3.2L ~ Brilliant Black ~ RNS-E ~ Siruis Radio

Mods; Carbon Fiber interior trim by; Switchblind360 ~ LED City Lights by; Buttafuoco

Xenon interior lights ~ S6 tip-shifter ~ RS4 pedals

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    06 Audi A4 Quattro

I have an 06 and the "stealership" quoted me $1000 for new pads and rotors. The rotors were fine and I found pads for front and back for $99 and did it myself. It's always nice when you can save yourself $900.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    07 A4 Qtip

Wow, that's pretty good. Mine is at 40K miles. I'll have to ask then.

Currently, my regular maintenance check ups are free...or have they always been free?

Sorry, I don't have any proof. The Audi tech I usually work with when I do my visits to the dealership did a full on inspection before I hit 50K. He also mentioned the year of my car fell under the warranty where my pads would be replaced for free. So I don't know if this is the case with 2006 and up. Maybe somebody here that works for Audi, or knows anything about warranty's can chime in. My car was pushing close to 49K miles.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    07 A4 Qtip

Speaking of which, should my brake sensor have gone off if my brake pads are worn out? They are replacing the brakes and rotors, should I try to get back at them since it didn't go off and now I have to replace the rotors too? Car is still under warranty, and I've went to every scheduled maintenance.

No kidding....well, I should've came here first before I took it in. I should've known to trust my fellow ziner's than the stealership.
    Last edited by aphextwin2050; 02-04-2009 at 02:13 PM.

Veteran Member Four Rings Charles's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Brake pads/rotors are one of the easiest upgrades and DIY there is. You can get upgraded pads for the same price, sometimes cheaper than stock pads and you'll stop much quicker. It's also super easy to replace rotors/pads front or rear. You can do everything in about 4 hours (if it's your first time).
    2006 Audi A4 S-Line

Veteran Member Four Rings 4RingRook.'s Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Dacia Sandero

That is insanely high for rear pads! It's been said, but you can tackle this as a DIY for a fraction of that price.
    '14 A5: . H&R . AWE . AG . Stėrn . OEM+ . 3M .

2012 / 2013 GCC Rookie & Sophomore of the Year

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    07 A4 Qtip

Thanks guys, when my fronts go out, I'll DIY.

As a side note, it cost $734 in total for rear pads/rotors. =[
    An expensive lesson but a lesson nonetheless.

Registered Member Four Rings juggernaut201's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    06' A4 2.0T 6MTQ

next time go after market ... for that price you could have done slotted rotors from ecstuning.com all around and new pads and done it yourself and still had plenty of money for beer lol
    *JUGGERNAUT*
    (Revo Stage II + HPFP File, AWE Cat Back, DMH Performance Electric Cutout, Forge Diverter/Spacer, Carbonio Intake, AWE FMIC, Snub Mount, RS4 Motor Mounts, S4 Big Brake Kit, E Code TestPipe, KW Variant 3 Coilovers, H Sport F & R Sways, KMD Fuel Kit, KMD Cam Follower, NGK Colder Plugs, Boost Gauge, South Bend Stage 3 Clutch, ECS Light Weight Pulley,Custom Inlet Pipe, 034 Street Mount, Apikol Rear Diff Mount, JHM SS Kit W/ Linkage Upgrade And Weighted Knob Lo Jack
    276hp/331tq

Senior Member Three Rings ChampionV63.2's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    C230 Kompressor

I work at Champion Audi, up to 2006 Brake Pads are covered as part of the warranty. I know 2006 is not covered, even though it has complimentary service up to 50K because I need new front rotors and brake pads all around and I will be paying a tech on the side to replace them with Hawk Ceramics tomorrow. FYI - Front rotors retail for @$129 each and front pads are @$158 and rear rotors are @$100 each and rear pads run about @$100. That's about $700 in parts before labor. FYI- we charge close to $500 for rear pad and rotor replacement with tax and labor.

Senior Member Two Rings ny2flb7a4's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by ChampionV63.2 View Post
    I work at Champion Audi, up to 2006 Brake Pads are covered as part of the warranty. I know 2006 is not covered, even though it has complimentary service up to 50K because I need new front rotors and brake pads all around and I will be paying a tech on the side to replace them with Hawk Ceramics tomorrow. FYI - Front rotors retail for @$129 each and front pads are @$158 and rear rotors are @$100 each and rear pads run about @$100. That's about $700 in parts before labor. FYI- we charge close to $500 for rear pad and rotor replacement with tax and labor.
    Can you ask the tech if he's willing to do another set of front brakes?
    07 A4 TQM Ibis Titanium pckg

Senior Member Three Rings ChampionV63.2's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    C230 Kompressor

Sure send me a pm with your contact information.

Registered Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Really Echo3One? I live in Santa Barbara and I took my car for service this morning at the local dealer. I have a Certified Pre-Owned 2006 Audi A4 2.0 with 32,000 miles. He asked me $470 to change the pads (I am supposed to have free maintenance until 50,000 miles), and he also said that a part of the engine is leaking and that is also not covered by the warranty.

Veteran Member Four Rings vtracer20's Avatar
    AZ Member #

do it yourself....
    2007 A4 S-Line / Ti Pkg / Quattro / Bilstein Pss9 / JHM Short shifter / GIAC X+ chip / RS4 rear sway bar / 20% rear tint / 10mm front 15mm rear spacers / Forge DV / DTM CF replica rear lip spoiler / DTH CF roof spoiler / Cupra R front spoiler (not on) / Infinity BasslinkII sub

looking for: CF front lip / S4 alum mirror hosing

Veteran Member Four Rings Sanjman's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    nothing else special

hey sorry to thread jack... but I really want to replace my brake pads and possibly rotors. I wouldn't mind switching to bigger brakes, but have stock split spoke 17" wheels... wondering what options I have with the rotors (front and rear). I'll start with that, I don't want to start this to "which pads should I get" cuz I Know we will get a million opinion on that lol.

AZ Member #

*post deleted*

I figured out my question. My buddy told me about "cryo-freezing" rotors. He said they last a lot longer and spirited driver to spirited driver, I believe him. I'll check them out and let you guys know later on if it works as advertised or if it's just marketing BS.
    Last edited by Wibs; 05-05-2011 at 03:53 PM.

Veteran Member Four Rings B72.0T's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2003 Audi A4 1.8TQM

Ass gaping included.
    B8 S4
    Stage I

Established Member Two Rings jcut825's Avatar
    AZ Member #

my front pads and rotors were 500 at the dealer. so the rears should be less. All a rip off tho

AZ Member #

I just priced out front pads and rotors for my B7 A4 and it was less than $200. $300 for labor is a nice mark-up for the dealership. I did find out my dealership is a tirerack affiliate so ppl go there to have their tires mounted. I can have mine done during my next service for $15/tire vs $25 (if I didn't buy my car there) which is about what ppl charge anyway ($15) around here so it's not a bad idea if anyone has to do that and uses that website.

Veteran Member Four Rings mr shickadance's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    tucson
    Items for Sale

good thing we answered his question from 2009, any longer and OP would be PIIIIIISSSEDDD :-P
    Scott

2011 S4

America is all about speed, hot, nasty, bad-ass speed - Eleanor Roosevelt

DIY: How to make yourself look like an idiot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast