Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Established Member Three Rings Richieru456's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Can I retro fit paddles into my steering wheel

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Any chance I can retro fit paddle shifters into my steering wheel if it doesnít have them already?

Established Member Two Rings Anthony1491's Avatar
    AZ Member #

No, your only option is to find/buy a 4 spoke steering wheel with paddle shifters and swap the airbag or purchase a 3 spoke steering wheel and get an airbag for it

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    2011 Audi A4 Deep Sea Blue
    GFB DV+ - RS4 Grill - ECS Silicone Inlet Hose - Tint - AFe Filter - Ultra Racing Strut Bar - Eurocode HFC - Intercooler Soundbox Delete
    Steering Wheel Paddle Shifter Retrofit - Rohana RC22 19" 9.5 et45 - S4 Struts & Sway bars - Rev Motoring Springs - Custom Magnaflow Exhaust

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony1491 View Post
    No, your only option is to find/buy a 4 spoke steering wheel with paddle shifters and swap the airbag or purchase a 3 spoke steering wheel and get an airbag for it

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    THanks

Veteran Member Four Rings poweredbyaudi7's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '16 Honda Odyssey; '15 Q7 TDI S-line

What wheel do you have? I have a buddy that did a 6MT swap and has the paddles and wants to get rid of them. May be best for you two to just trade...
    '14 A4 Q6MT / APR KO4 / AWE / HRE / H&R / 034 Motorsports / P3cars / JHM

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by poweredbyaudi7 View Post
    What wheel do you have? I have a buddy that did a 6MT swap and has the paddles and wants to get rid of them. May be best for you two to just trade...
    Just the regular standard one

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Oh yes u can... you just need new paddles and a sharp hobby knife and vag cabe to enable. I did mine last year. The hole to screw them on is cast into wheel structure. With the wheel off it looks like a so so diy job. But on the car it looks factory. I did this route cause it was a super cheap mod. I can always buy a better wheel later.

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

Senior Member Three Rings Perry01's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Touareg V8 FSI MK7 GTI - B8.5 Q5 - B8 A4

Quote Originally Posted by Snoogie View Post
    Oh yes u can... you just need new paddles and a sharp hobby knife and vag cabe to enable. I did mine last year. The hole to screw them on is cast into wheel structure. With the wheel off it looks like a so so diy job. But on the car it looks factory. I did this route cause it was a super cheap mod. I can always buy a better wheel later.

Do you have any more details or pictures?

Finding the holes to screw the paddles into is one thing but what did you plug the electrical connectors into?
    CTS K04 / IE custom tune / Wagner FMIC

Established Member Two Rings FU5E's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2013 Audi A4, 2005 Audi A4 Stage 2 K04, 2001 Audi A4 GtT2871
    Items for Sale

Depending on how chopped the wheel would be. Cutting some holes in the wheel doesn't sound too bad an idea, unless you have a sport steering wheel which are actually worth a few bucks.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________________________
    2013 Audi A4 2.0T APR Stage 2, 034 HFC, CTS mid-pipe, RS4 FT bumper conversion, Chrome Delete
    2005 Audi A4 TQM 6 speed. K04 Stage II
    2001.5 Audi 1.8TQM A4 GT2871 elim. unitronics 440cc, vibrant 500hp intercooler, custom 3" mandrel bent exhaust..... (sold)
    www.speed-luxury.com

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Perry01 View Post
    Do you have any more details or pictures?

Finding the holes to screw the paddles into is one thing but what did you plug the electrical connectors into?
    Please post pics

Veteran Member Four Rings mtroxel's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Perry01 View Post
    I added paddles to my B7. The paddles just plug into the back of the steering wheel switch modules, which encode the signal and send it though the CAN bus. So you don't need a different clock spring or anything. Just make the changes in VCDS.

I'd like to see Snoogie's pics too.
    11 A4 Q, Prestge, Black
    94,000 miles, APR Stage 1

AZ Member #

Im pretty sure i bought paddles and the other switches but i think i only needed the paddles.

The Phillips screw is what is holding on the paddle shifter. First use a straight pick or small screw driver and insert it into that hole u will later use to secure the shifter until it goes through the back and through the leather. That makes the center of your new shifters home. Then cut the back out. smaller at first and work out the foam until the shifter fits into the hole with the leather excess tucked in. if you takeout too much foam pack pieces back into it until the leather fits against the shifter edges.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Im pretty sure i bought paddles and the other switches but i think i only needed the paddles.

The Phillips screw is what is holding on the paddle shifter. First use a straight pick or small screw driver and insert it into that hole u will later use to secure the shifter until it goes through the back and through the leather. That makes the center of your new shifters home. Then cut the back out. smaller at first and work out the foam until the shifter fits into the hole with the leather excess tucked in. if you takeout too much foam pack pieces back into it until the leather fits against the shifter edges.
    I took off the paddles from the steering wheel of my B7 A4 to see how much material would need to be removed.

You see the slots in the steering wheel where the plastic hooks on the paddles are inserted? Did you remove the plastic hooks from the paddles before installing them?

Iíve found several different part numbers for paddle shifters. This one has the threaded hole towards the inside.

And this paddle has the threaded hole towards the outside.

Because of the location of the screw hole on the steering wheel, I assume the paddle with the threaded hole towards the inside is the correct one. Do you recall which paddle you used?

AZ Member #

Yup thats the style i have. I left the hooks on.

AZ Member #

I wish there was a diy video

AZ Member #
    My Garage

The Phillips screw is what is holding on the paddle shifter. First use a straight pick or small screw driver and insert it into that hole u will later use to secure the shifter until it goes through the back and through the leather. That makes the center of your new shifters home. Then cut the back out. smaller at first and work out the foam until the shifter fits into the hole with the leather excess tucked in.
    It looks like you cut out an opening for the wiring. Did you also cut out a couple notches for the hooks on the paddles to slide into?

Iíd like to have paddle shifters but donít really want to spend $1300 for a new steering wheel to get them.

AZ Member #

Yup thats the style i have. I left the hooks on.
    Audizine
    I did this on my B7. Exact same paddles. You want to leave the hooks on. Without those, you just have one screw keeping them from twisting around. With the hooks, you have 3 points holding it to the wheel frame. I put mine on a wheel that was made for paddle shifters. But it looks like the whole for the screw and cut outs for the hooks are all right there.
    11 A4 Q, Prestge, Black

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mtroxel View Post
    I did this on my B7. Exact same paddles. You want to leave the hooks on. Without those, you just have one screw keeping them from twisting around. With the hooks, you have 3 points holding it to the wheel frame. I put mine on a wheel that was made for paddle shifters. But it looks like the whole for the screw and cut outs for the hooks are all right there.
    Iíll have to remove the steering wheel on my B8.5 and take a look to ensure there is a screw hole, cut outs for the hooks and also a place to plug the connectors from the paddles to the steering wheel controls.

I wish I could just swap the steering wheel from my wifeís B7 but the facelift B8ís have clips holding the airbag instead of bolts.

AZ Member #

I took my cue from Snoogie and retrofitted paddle shifters to my 2011 A4 Premium. What I found was that the B8 steering wheel controls do not have a paddle shifter board in them the way the B7 controls all did. So I took some B7 steering wheel controls, in-snap the plastic shell from the B8 controls and put it on the B7 innards. You'll also need the cable that connects the B7 controls as that has changed too. But once you get B7 controls "upgraded" to B8 appearance, then you have to cut the shifters into the wheel.

Drill through the hole in the aluminum frame. Make sure this is straight. You'll locate your template based on this hole.

Make the template a little smaller than the footprint of the paddle shifter. You can always make the hole bigger. Can't go smaller
    11 A4 Q, Prestge, Black

AZ Member #

After the razor blade and scraping out the padding. Still too small, but that's good.

A Dremel with a cutting blade is perfect to start shaving off more leather and padding.

Ready for paddle shifters. Keep in mind that the shifters will cover about an extra 1/16"

Finished.
    11 A4 Q, Prestge, Black

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by mtroxel View Post
    After the razor blade and scraping out the padding. Still too small, but that's good.

A Dremel with a cutting blade is perfect to start shaving off more leather and padding.

Ready for paddle shifters. Keep in mind that the shifters will cover about an extra 1/16"

Finished.
    Thanks. Mite try this