Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '09 B8 A4 2.0t quattro
    Items for Sale

Steering wheel care

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Hi guys,

I'm wondering if anyone knows how to properly care for steering wheels (I'm trying to avoid the oily look that most steering wheels seem to get after a couple years)… I feel like the cleaners/conditioners actually make this process happen quicker, instead of preventing it? Anyone have thoughts? I just upgraded to a facelift flat bottom, and want to preserve it….

Established Member Two Rings energy_legs's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Some good leather cleaner and conditioner should help. I use lexol, it's widely available and work well. Cleaner gets the dirt and oils out conditioner fills the pores to keep dirt and oil from getting back in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Established Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by energy_legs View Post
    Some good leather cleaner and conditioner should help. I use lexol, it's widely available and work well. Cleaner gets the dirt and oils out conditioner fills the pores to keep dirt and oil from getting back in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Sorry to thread jack, but will the Lexol treatment work on a wheel has already become shiny and oily? My car has 38k miles on it and the steering wheel is really starting to show some sheen. I'd love to be able to restore it back if possible.
    2013 B8.5 A4 Quattro. Just a few simple mods, but the parts list keeps on growing

Established Member Two Rings ranchos's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I've researched this a ton. First thing to know it's polyurethane coated leather. Make sure any "leather cleaner" is designed for coated leathers.

Personally everytime I wash the car, I take a fresh, damp, microfiber towel and vigorously scrub the entire wheel. Then dry off with a fresh towel. Every 6 months make a solution of 10:1 Woolite (or similar) and scrub with that. Make sure to follow up with a clean wet towel with just water, and then a drying towel. This should get all the oils out and keep that nice matte finish and semi-rough texture intact. If it gets ahead of you, or you have really greasy hands, go with Lexol or similar.
    • 2014 P+ quattro • Monsoon Grey • MMI Nav+ • B&O w/ Pioneer sub swap • Hoen Yellow Fogs • Formula One Pinnacle 30

Veteran Member Four Rings gdawg'05a4's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '95 Audi 90 AAN Swap, '13 Q5 2.0T

Steam (if you have one, most don't), a good interior cleaner (such as Einzsett Cockpit, leather masters), and even Mr. Magic Eraser. Mr. Magic Eraser can actually clean the surface and remove the dirt/grease but you have to be very gentle going over the wheel. With good weekly cleaning habits, your steering wheel can still look like new without the shiny sheen that is typical on most steering wheels as they age. The steering wheel on my '11 with 68k miles still looks like new.

Check out this thread over on QW from a couple of OCD members on cleaning their steering wheels. http://forums.quattroworld.com/detail/msgs/12537.phtml
    '13 Q5 2.0T | Ibis | Chestnut || P+ | Nav | B&O | Advanced Key
    '12 S4 S tronic | Monsoon Gray | Black || P+ | Nav+ | Sports Diff | Nappa | B&O | 19" Peelers
    '95 90 Quattro Sport MT5 | Pearl | Black || 20vT AAN transplant

Previous Cars:
    '11 A4 2.0T Quattro
    '07 A4 2.0T Quattro
    '06 S4 25quattro MT6
    '05 A4 1.8T Quattro MT6