Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Veteran Member Four Rings Dodge2Dub's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    E90 M3; Ducati S2R 1000

Costco Gas...Good or Bad?

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    For that matter, how do you know if name brand stations have decent gas? I read a few years ago that name brand stations have the option of buying cheap gas and that just because you go to a Chevron/Unocal/BP/etc. doesn't mean that you are getting "good" gas. I would think that this will become a major concern (if it isn't already) with stations trying to attract consumers with low prices while still generating a decent profit.
    Cool stuff with a little growl!

Established Member Two Rings 99PanozAIV's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Audi, Lexus, Panoz

Re: Costco Gas...Good or Bad?

Quote Originally Posted by Dodge2Dub View Post
    For that matter, how do you know if name brand stations have decent gas? I read a few years ago that name brand stations have the option of buying cheap gas and that just because you go to a Chevron/Unocal/BP/etc. doesn't mean that you are getting "good" gas. I would think that this will become a major concern (if it isn't already) with stations trying to attract consumers with low prices while still generating a decent profit.
    Costco usually carries good products across-the-board. I've used their gas, high-test, for quite a while, and I don't notice any difference.
    1999 Panoz AIV
    2007 Lexus ES350
    2008 Audi S4 Avant
    2010 Mini Cooper S

Senior Member Three Rings va-terps4's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Most gas is the same. However, there are retailers that offer something above the rest...

http://www.toptiergas.com/index.html
    2013 Q7 S-Line - Glacier White/Ebony
    2008 S6 Sedan - Ibis White/Ebony [SOLD]
    2007 S4 Avant - Ibis White/Ebony [SOLD]
    2002 allroad - Atlas/Platinum [SOLD]

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    E90 M3; Ducati S2R 1000

It is my understanding that some top tier stations do not necessarily always offer their top tier namesake. So, is Costco buying their gas from a top tier distributor?

Veteran Member Four Rings JetBlue's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Gas is a commodity. There may be minor additives at each distributor, but overall the difference is going to be negligible.
    "The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." Alexis de Tocqueville

Senior Member Two Rings Monster Stealth's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    99 A4 1.8TQM, 93 3000GT VR4

Both cars I have require 91+, and being that one is basically a toy that is modded and the other is my DD and will be getting chipped here pretty so. I am pretty picky on what gas I get. My dad actually went around town and took samples of a bunch of different gas stations. He found that Shell had the least amount of water in the gas, and os that is what we always run.
    1999 Audi A4 1.8TQM - Daily Driver
    1993 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 - Fully built top and bottom end, currently breaking in.

Account Terminated Four Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    My Garage: My Garage:

IMO. we should have full service gas stations at near $4 a gallon.

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Shell is the only top tier in my area, I use them as much as possible, damn the extra couple of pennies, not worth it to be cheap on probably the most important part of the engine/performance equation. Anyone reading this should really check out the top tier site. Why would the manufacturers bother to do this unless they felt that it is a problem?

Veteran Member Three Rings OneSickSedan's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2001.5 Audi S4 6-Speed WMS Stage 3-

Quote Originally Posted by Monster Stealth View Post
    Both cars I have require 91+, and being that one is basically a toy that is modded and the other is my DD and will be getting chipped here pretty so. I am pretty picky on what gas I get. My dad actually went around town and took samples of a bunch of different gas stations. He found that Shell had the least amount of water in the gas, and os that is what we always run.
    Was Chevron one of the samples of gas he tested too?
    2001.5 6-Speed Santorin Blue S4 (WMS Stage 3-,mod list in my profile)

"Who, after all, speaks today of the annihilation of the Armenians?" - Adolph Htiler
    Let's end the cycle of genocide by recognizing the Armenian Genocide and end the Darfur Genocide.

"If you're not first, you're last." -Ricky Bobby from Taladega Nights

"LIVESTRONG" - Lance Armstrong

Senior Member Two Rings Monster Stealth's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    99 A4 1.8TQM, 93 3000GT VR4

Quote Originally Posted by OneSickSedan View Post
    Was Chevron one of the samples of gas he tested too?
    Nope, there are not that many chevrons around here. Shell was number 1, and BP was second. The only other thing I remember him telling me was to stay away from marathon. The only other one I want to test is the sunoco. There is one around here that has 94 at the pump.
    1999 Audi A4 1.8TQM - Daily Driver
    1993 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 - Fully built top and bottom end, currently breaking in.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    E90 M3; Ducati S2R 1000

This quote from the top tier Web site answers the question of whether the gas at the individual stations is of the same quality as their respective namesake.

In addition, all gasoline outlets carrying the brand of the approved retailer must meet the TOP TIER standards.

Of course the next question is, who actually owns/operates the top tier site considering it's a dot com instead of a dot org.

Senior Member Three Rings va-terps4's Avatar
    AZ Member #

FWIW, Shell gas is no more expensive in NoVA than any other brand. In fact the station by me is usually a penny or two less than the Sunoco, Exxon, and Mobil stations - and they are all less than 1 mile apart. Regardless, Shell is listed as a top tier brand and my butt dyno says it runs a little better. I've seen generic delivery trucks at all of the stations except for the Shell. It is admittedly circumstantial, but I think there is a chance Shell is actually doing something different.
    2013 Q7 S-Line - Glacier White/Ebony
    2008 S6 Sedan - Ibis White/Ebony [SOLD]
    2007 S4 Avant - Ibis White/Ebony [SOLD]
    2002 allroad - Atlas/Platinum [SOLD]

Veteran Member Three Rings jerrym's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    4 Door Saloon

:x i gas up costco in my 240sx all the time haha.
    2009 Mercedes-Benz E63 AMG
    1997 Toyota Supra
    1994 Nissan R32 GTR
    2008 Audi RS4 (gone)
    2005 BMW M3 (gone)
    2003 Mitsubishi Lancer EVO 8 (gone)

"After a certain point, money is meaningless. It ceases to be the goal. The game is what counts" -Aristotle

Registered Member One Ring FooFighterRS4's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Porsche 997 GT3, Audi RS4

My service tech told me that the fuel detergents in some gasolines (V-power from Shell and Techron from Chevron in particular) make a huge difference, especially in direct injection engines. Early on people were getting misfires and this cleared the problem.
    08 Porsche GT3 with GMG Exhaust
    07 Audi RS4 with GMG exhaust and Stasis/Ohlins Motorsport Suspension

Veteran Member Four Rings RAudi Driver's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Take apart an engine that runs on Chevron gas. It'll look real clean. That's the only gas that goes into my cars.

Veteran Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Constantly changing.

Quote Originally Posted by va-terps4 View Post
    Most gas is the same. However, there are retailers that offer something above the rest...

Good reference site.

Veteran Member Four Rings gotboost's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

I accually work at costco, and thier gas is as good as anywhere else. i allways fill up there, the 92oct is cheaper and the car runs the same as it does filling up at any gas station
    2003 A4 GT2871r 303 AWHP 291 AWTQ- SOLD
    2001 Imola Yellow S4- SOLD
    2002 A4 Avant- CURRENT

Veteran Member Three Rings Lugi20's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

I use Shell V-Power anytime I can. I did on my last car, I will on my next car.

Veteran Member Four Rings LampyB's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by JetBlue View Post
    Gas is a commodity. There may be minor additives at each distributor, but overall the difference is going to be negligible.
    i totally disagree...get some bad gas once and you'll understand. your car won't run.

top tier gas stations, ie. name brands shell, conoco, BP, chevron and others must all purchase top tier gas. it is part of their franchise agreements. you can't own a shell and purchase lower grade quality because that's what the brand stands for.

i try to only use shell, we don't really have chevron out here in CO. at the end of the year shell's higher prices probably equates to two more tanks of gas, if even that. i can live with the cost of two tanks for the cause of a healthy car!

Custom Trunk Badges For Sale!

| 2004 A4 USP 1.8TQ | 6SPD | GIAC 1+ | APIKOL | HYPERBOOST | FORGE TIP | NGK | 20% TINT | VMR | OFE SS | PODI | N249 Delete |

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    E90 M3; Ducati S2R 1000

For me the price difference between Costco gas and a name brand is about 6 tanks of gas per year. If there is a big quality difference, I'll eat the cost. If not, then Costco it will continue to be.
    Last edited by Dodge2Dub; 03-25-2008 at 09:39 PM.

Senior Member Two Rings momoney's Avatar
    AZ Member #

i actually own a 7-11 gas station and i asked the person that fills up the tanks at my store a question about quality gas and he told me that he delivered the same gas to Chevron and shell and all those exspensive gas staions he recomends to goto new gas stations where the pipes are not old and dont have water in them. i have very hi end cars and usually fill up at the 7-11 because it has been serviced and has no water in the pipes but if i have to fill up somwhere i always fill up at a costco because they have fairly new pumps.

Registered Member Two Rings whyb2nd's Avatar
    AZ Member #

do a self check, buy a few small white ceramic plates. pour three tea spoons of fuel on them and burn. compare the residue after cool down, the whiter the plate remains the cleaner the fuel....chevron was best here.
    07 997TT,meteor/blk,6spd,lsd,sport chrono.
    04 S4 sedan,silver/blk/bone suede,tip,Avarus AV4 19" wheels.
    08 Z06,blk on blk....

Veteran Member Four Rings PSYC0TIC ONE's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    03 Golf GL (2.slow)

hhhmmm, good info... I too am on the Shell train... and I really like that Evolution of F1 commercial they had... lol
    -Cliff
    Current:
    B8 //S4-Prstg-6MT-Ibis on Blk-Sprt Diff-35% Tint-H&R OE Sprngs-AWE CatBack
    Past:
    B6 //S4 Nogy on Nogy-19" OZ SLs-FI NonRes CatBack-Hardwired V1 w/ LIS4 Display & LaserMask-30% Tint-RS6 Pedals-BiXenon ECodes
    B5 //S4 Cactus on Black-Sport Pckg-18" Flik Justices-JHM Shrt Thrw-APR Stg1

Senior Member Three Rings simona's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B7

Quote Originally Posted by momoney View Post
    i actually own a 7-11 gas station and i asked the person that fills up the tanks at my store a question about quality gas and he told me that he delivered the same gas to Chevron and shell and all those exspensive gas staions he recomends to goto new gas stations where the pipes are not old and dont have water in them. i have very hi end cars and usually fill up at the 7-11 because it has been serviced and has no water in the pipes but if i have to fill up somwhere i always fill up at a costco because they have fairly new pumps.

How come you dont eat your own cooking by getting gas from your own station? I am sure its cheaper then the what we consumers pay.

Senior Member Two Rings momoney's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by simona View Post
    How come you dont eat your own cooking by getting gas from your own station? I am sure its cheaper then the what we consumers pay.
    i actually don't get discounts because i make 50% of gas that is sold and the other 50 goes to the company.But one thing that is beneficial is that i know when gas is gonna get cheap and that is when i fill up my tanks.

Veteran Member Three Rings SDA4's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    07 B7 08 A3

Brilliant Black A4 // Rieger // 19" VMR V715 // Falken FK452 // H&R // Custom Magnaflow // Blackout Headlights // Debadged // FLY's LED's // Penny Mod // Cupra Splitter

Veteran Member Four Rings serumk's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2002 A4 quattro
    Items for Sale

Don't waste your time worrying about "good gas and bad gas." It's fucking gasoline. Sure, you'll get a "bad tank of gas" from time to time, but that can happen at a top tier retailer or some backwater place in Canada.

Veteran Member Three Rings pcasso87's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2011 Q7 TDI, 2011 A4 2.0TQ, 2009 RAM, 1996 240 SX

CHEVRON FTMFW!!! Its true it keeps a clean engine
    l 2013 Scion FR-S l 2011 E92 ///M3 l 2011 Audi A4 2.0TQ l 1997 E-420 Sport l 2007 Ram 1500 4X4 l

Deactivated Three Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    04 Audi S4

Anybody know anything about BP? They have 92 octane and invigorate, that's the only gas that goes in my car as of now.

Senior Member Four Rings ...Mark...'s Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Murdered out 04 S4..

I posted this in another thread a while back..

Quote Originally Posted by ...Mark... View Post
    All gas stations in a particular region get their gas from the same source. For me in Atlanta my gas comes directly from the oil refineries in Houston via the colonial pipeline. The different companies that that distribute gas from the pipeline to the dealers (independent stations) all pick up from the same distribution point regardless if its Shell, Exxon Mobil, BP, or whatever.. Now the only difference between the different companies are the different additives that they put into the fuel. Chevron has Tecron, Shell has V-power if i am not mistaken and so on. Its all the same identical gas, its just the additives that make them brands different.

The grey area is when you buy from an unbranded station or chain. In Atlanta QT is big but when you buy QT you never know what you are getting because QT is a convenient store chain that sells gas but meanwhile they are not branded or aligned with any one company. They literally buy their gas from the fuel distributer that will sell it to them for the cheapest price. Sometimes that gas doesn't have any additives, sometimes it has Valero's additives, sometimes it has Hess's additives etc.. They buy what they can get at the cheapest price and pass that savings onto the customer which is a good thing, but at the same time you are not getting a consistant blend, and at times there are not any additives at all in it.

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

i actually don't get discounts because i make 50% of gas that is sold and the other 50 goes to the company.But one thing that is beneficial is that i know when gas is gonna get cheap and that is when i fill up my tanks.
    Hah, a Hindu who owns a 7-11. What are the odds of that?

Senior Member Three Rings BLACKa4QUAT's Avatar
    AZ Member #

he recomends to goto new gas stations where the pipes are not old and dont have water in them. i have very hi end cars and usually fill up at the 7-11 because it has been serviced and has no water in the pipes but if i have to fill up somwhere i always fill up at a costco because they have fairly new pumps.
    gotta agree with this, i'd rather get cheap gas from a new gas station than fancy gas from an old one. (or the newer station if it costs a little more than the old station). but there's a newish shell by where i live, price is usually average, and much closer to me than costco. so i go to that. i take what i can get with this 91 craptane out here. and also, some 'new' gas stations that were built on old gas stations sometimes use the old underground tanks IIRC.
    2006 A4 2.0Tqm, S-line, tech, FH-P8000BT, 10" sub, 800 watt,
    VAG-COM mods (remote windows, no chime), revo stg 1 tweaked
    AWE pedals, HRS4 DTMs/Eagle GT, VMR TP
    193.7 awhp/232 ft/lb/91 oct pre-TP
    16MAR09DSWHTAW

Senior Member Three Rings jpcallmotor's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B5 A4 1.8T

Shell V-Power or BPAmoco Ultimate - nothing less!

Senior Member Four Rings ...Mark...'s Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Murdered out 04 S4..

If you ever need to finance any equipment for the site shoot me a pm. Dispensers, POS for PCI compliance, tanks, canopies, ISD, carwashes, etc..

Veteran Member Three Rings V8weight's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2009 A4

It's 8 miles out of my way, but I only use Shell V-power in my car. In my B6 S4 I wasn't so picky as it wasn't such a concern on a NA car. But with the RS6, one tank of bad gas can ruin your month. If the knock sensors detect detonation, they cut back timing and boost. It can take up to 4 tanks for the ecu to come out of it's "panic room" and restore performance. The S4 with its 11.1 compression should have pretty sensitive knock sensors as well, but the change in performance might not be as noticeable. I wouldn't risk a cheap tank of gas.
    - Pat -
    2010 A6 Prestige/ Sport package
    2009 A4 Prestige
    -Previous-
    B5 S4 avant
    B6 S4
    C5 RS6
    B6 S4 avant
    E55 AMG
    71 El Camino SS

Veteran Member Four Rings ieatfishburitos's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    tools

momoney, you need to use some of your cash to buy a period. Those are some long run on sentences.
    EVO **** 2.0 4B11T MIVEC crime in progress.

Veteran Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    07 RS4,07 MKX,05Softail

DOes anyone notice any differences in their MPG depending on which gas they use? When I was in the Navy, I was stationed in Orlando for a bit over a year, but I was from San Antonio (which is where my gf was :)). I used to drive from FL to TX once every couple of weeks for a night or two (24 hrs each way, I would do it non-stop), and being I was enlisted and poor as hell (hence no flying), I used to experiment with using different types of gas to see if what the difference was. I had enough distance and enough trips to rule out environmental differences I think, and at the time Phillips 66 was 3-4 MPG more than anything else, and I think Shell was second.

That was 10 years ago, so I think I will try it again now, and depending on my results I will post a new thread and see if anyone else want's to play.

On a side note, BP is the only station here with 92 octane, but is not top tier, lame! On the other hand Stehpen Kasper from Imagine Auto here (Porsche and Audi guru) only uses BP in his 997TT when not using race gas (if he even uses race gas, I never asked), and I trust his opinion:

http://www.imagineauto.com/997T-05.htm

Not bad performance numbers on his car after his mods either, and it is his DD, I have seen that with my own eyes as he gets to work in the AM:

Typical Performance data
    Times | Stock | iAV-5 EVT700 Package
    0-60 | 3.9 Sec | 2.9 Sec
    0-100 | 9.8 Sec | 6.8 Sec
    60-130 | 12.8 Sec | 8.1 Sec
    1/4 mile| 12.22@117MPH | 10.81@133.5MPH

Senior Member Two Rings ProfileX's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    S5 2011 Sprint Blue

That website doesn't seem very official, and it's hard to say how current the info is. This line doesn't sound very "authoritative":
    The retailers known to be on the TOP TIER list are shown below

Veteran Member Four Rings channad's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2008 S4 DTM; 2012 Q5 S-Line

wow, this is an old ass thread...why has it been revived?
    Channa
    ---------------------------
    2012 Q5 - Black | Black | Premium Plus | S-Line | Nav | B & O
    2008 - DTM | Sprint Blue Pearl | Black leather/Alcantara | Navi | CF trim | OEM 18" RS4s

Instrumental Music

Instrumental Playground

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    E90 M3; Ducati S2R 1000

Quote Originally Posted by channad View Post
    wow, this is an old ass thread...why has it been revived?
    Because I rule! LOL!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast