Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Question Can't cut Master key from Valet key?

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    So, I'm in the process of doing the whole switchblade upgrade to my '97. However my problem is that the only key I have is a (metal) Valet key.

Now, after searching here and AW, I was lead to believe that one could get a master key cut from the valet key due to the pattern being the same, just the key thickness being different. Awesome!

So in an effort to convince myself, I called the dealer nearest me (130miles) and talked to them.
    Yes we can cut you a key.
    Oh, the plastic valet?
    Oh it's metal?
    HAA or NAA?
    No, we can't cut the from the NAA, we'd have to order by VIN.

So, now I are confused. What's the deal? Is it another case of a dealership not knowing left/right, or is this actually the case? Any help would be appreciated!

Registered Member Two Rings manufan's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    98 A4 2.8 QM 93 Ducati 900ss

Re: Can't cut Master key from Valet key?

The dealer told me they would have to order my haa by the vin. I bought a switchblade remote from a forum member and had it cut by a local locksmith in his van. $40, which was kind of stiff, but it works perfectly.

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by manufan View Post
    The dealer told me they would have to order my haa by the vin. I bought a switchblade remote from a forum member and had it cut by a local locksmith in his van. $40, which was kind of stiff, but it works perfectly.
    So you're saying you got your switchblade key cut from your Valet key?
    I don't care who cuts it, as long as they can cut it.

Veteran Member Four Rings audisnapr's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    1993 Ford E250 Sportsmobile, 1990 Corrado w/ VR6 swap track car, 2011 Mazda3 S Sport 5dr

I think the only problem with cutting a new key from the valet key is that the new key/valet doesn't lock/unlock the glove box and maybe something else... maybe the trunk on a sedan?

AZ Member #
    My Garage

I wouldn't call it a valet key. They'll only unlock the car and work in the ignition, not in the trunk or glovebox. He made the switch from the regular one.

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

I wouldn't call it a valet key. They'll only unlock the car and work in the ignition, not in the trunk or glovebox. He made the switch from the regular one.

BAM! Right there. Obviously, they are different. Thanks very much. I'll just have to order a new master then. Oh well.

Veteran Member Three Rings generik777's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    1998.5 A4 2.8 Quattro Tip

I had a master made from my plastic valet key, works in all locks to. The dealer nearest me did it for free.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

I'm a bit confused here. A valet key is called a valet key for a reason, it's so the valet can park your car but not steal your weed out of the glove box. It will not open the trunk or glove box.

Veteran Member Four Rings djwimbo's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    325is 5sp

... but not steal your weed out of the glove box.
    That's kinda the idea. Except for legal reasons.
    My valet doesn't work in the glove box (which is normal), but I think my trunk lock (sedan) doesn't work anyways.
    I use my keyless all the time anyways. Who actually manually locks their doors?
    "Thank god I had my body, because it felt so good."

Registered Member Four Rings burner799's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    1999.5 TQMS
    Items for Sale

I had VW dealership cut mine for when i needed a spare flip key, was 8 dollars.
    Ti.Sline: yeah my dads got shit in order
    SkunkonCrunk: i had to pay $300 and fight the city after they sprayed a bike lane on my car
    SkunkonCrunk: i hear ya, i know u guys dont get along but let bigons be bigons, or however u spell it, im at a two year

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by generik777 View Post
    I had a master made from my plastic valet key, works in all locks to. The dealer nearest me did it for free.

Well now you've just confused me.

Site Moderator Four Rings onemoremile's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    99.5 A4 Avant, 01 allroad

Quote Originally Posted by generik777 View Post
    There is no reason why that would work. A valet key doesn't work in all locks and neither would a direct copy.
    Jim - Moderator

We cannot achieve the future by being timid. It requires aggressive imagination.

I Do Werk.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Well I dont know what to tell ya, I called the dealer and asked if it could be done, they said yes so I mailed the plastic valet key to them and they mailed me back a cut blank for the fob I had. I tested it out and it works in all the locks, even the trunck and glove box.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    1993 Ford E250 Sportsmobile, 1990 Corrado w/ VR6 swap track car, 2011 Mazda3 S Sport 5dr

I don't believe the plastic key is the "valet" key. I have the plastic, a none flip key (like the photo above) and 2 flip keys (all issued to me when I bought the car new in '99). I think the plastic key is issued for that specific reason, to have copies made without the VIN number. Why would they make a valet key out of plastic? it would get ruined/break very quickly if you valet your car often.

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by audisnapr View Post
    I don't believe the plastic key is the "valet" key. I have the plastic, a none flip key (like the photo above) and 2 flip keys (all issued to me when I bought the car new in '99). I think the plastic key is issued for that specific reason, to have copies made without the VIN number. Why would they make a valet key out of plastic? it would get ruined/break very quickly if you valet your car often.
    Yea, no, the plastic one is NOT the "valet" key. That's your "copy key" if you will.

Well, I'm here in San Diego, looking at my friends Jetta keys, and her Master and Valet key are IDENTICAL only different thickness. So.....the "valet" starts the car and unlocks the doors, but it's just too chubby to fit into the trunk and glove locks, is what I'm taking from all this.

::EDIT::
    So I just talked to a locksmith, he said it's a "high security key"...It's a '97. lol. Which I'm guessing he means has a transponder, so I won't even post the rest of the bologna he spewed.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

he is incorrect. your key (and mine) do not have the transponder in it. I don't think they started that until the B6 or later (if at all)

Veteran Member Four Rings TQMB5's Avatar
    AZ Member #

by a blank off ebay and call around and find a locksmith that can do centercut keys. i did this when i had my 98 and it cost me about 13 for the blank and 30 to cut it.
    ::2000TQM

AZ Member #
    My Garage

You are probably correct in saying the plastic one is not the valet key. The dealer told me it was a valet key so that's what I figured it was, He was probably wrong seeing as how it would make sense that it shouldn't operate the glove box and trunk. Oh well, I would never let a valet drive my car anyways.

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Ok, So I went to the dealer I originally called, head hung low and feeling defeated. Told them who I was and as they were about to place the order for a new Master key, one of the parts guys says "Well, let me just see if I can cut it from that one."

10 mins later, I have a cheap ass Ilco Master key. So, I go out to test it; works in all locks, starts car. Hurray!

I walk back in, feeling triumphant and say, "Yep we're good. And since I have a master now, can you cut this for me?" Handed him the switchblade key, and he was kind of hesitant and complained about it being an "Ebay" key and the metal being different. another 10 minutes and I had it!

So yes, even though I could have just guessed away and done whatever, the definitive answer is you can get a new master from the valet/service key. It just takes some finageling.

Site Moderator Four Rings onemoremile's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    99.5 A4 Avant, 01 allroad

The metal is different? What, like ebay is a brand that manufactures them? eBay keys are real keys that others didn't need.
    Jim - Moderator

We cannot achieve the future by being timid. It requires aggressive imagination.

I Do Werk.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

The dealer I went to complained about my ebay blank as well. When he tried cutting it part of the side chipped away, So he went to his tool box found a OEM blank and cut that for me. He gave me both the chipped one and the one he supplied both for free. Surprisingly the chipped one works even with half the side missing.

Registered Member Four Rings burner799's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    1999.5 TQMS
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by onemoremile View Post
    The metal is different? What, like ebay is a brand that manufactures them? eBay keys are real keys that others didn't need.
    thats the most ignorant statement I've heard all day. ebay keys are not oem and YES the metal IS different. VW had trouble cutting mine and it bent the edges up all weird, I had to dremel mine to make it work.most of the blanks sold on ebay are cheap knock offs and don't have the oem engraved signature that all german car keys have.
    Ti.Sline: yeah my dads got shit in order
    SkunkonCrunk: i had to pay $300 and fight the city after they sprayed a bike lane on my car
    SkunkonCrunk: i hear ya, i know u guys dont get along but let bigons be bigons, or however u spell it, im at a two year