Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Thread: Apikol SMIC

Veteran Member Three Rings Hamotee's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Other German Stuff

Thumbs up Apikol SMIC

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Finally got around to putting in the Apikol SMIC. The install was straightforward, set aside three or four hours and a six pack of beer for this one. The Apikol unit is pretty much plug and play. You will need to trim the shroud a little, and modify the small clamp that holds an A/C hose to the bottom of the core (It took me about 15 minutes to knock both out).

The Apikol Core is 8.1" x 8.1" x 3.5" or ~30% larger than the stock unit, and has cast end tanks instead of the oem plastic.

Before shots with the stock unit.

After shots with the Apikol installed.

Overall I am very happy with the intercooler. I couldn't ( and didnt expect to) notice any additional charge time. After driving hard on some back roads for about 15 minutes I didn't notice any real loss in power. Logging pre and post install showed some pretty substantial improvement in IATs. I will try to get those numbers up tomorrow. Overall I would give it a I hope Apikol decides to follow this up with an upgraded DSMIC setup, for now this is way more than enough for my stage 1+ setup though.
    How to account for this massive success? Pure luck? Transcendental meditation? Machiavellian manipulation? Aerodynamics? High colonics? We haven't the slightest idea. -P.L. Newman

Veteran Member Four Rings SeKKeY's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    MKVI GTI (dd), DTM S4, B6 USP (sold), B5 1.8T (RIP)

Re: Apikol SMIC

awesome man. do you think it will be enough for K04 power?
    USP CLUB MEMBER #10

Stage 2++++++++ JHM B7 S4

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Other German Stuff

Quote Originally Posted by SeKKeY View Post
    awesome man. do you think it will be enough for K04 power?
    I think it would handle K04 power pretty easily. I think I remember Apikol doing some dyno testing on a stage III setup. Let me see if I can find the link.
    How to account for this massive success? Pure luck? Transcendental meditation? Machiavellian manipulation? Aerodynamics? High colonics? We haven't the slightest idea. -P.L. Newman

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Other German Stuff

This is from the www.apikol.com Click Those numbers seem low for a stage 3, but the company is based in Boulder, CO, aka really high elevation.

Veteran Member Three Rings audi314's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    95.5 UrS6, 05 A6 3.2Q

If you really want to get some good info on what Apikol is doing contact Brian @ Avalon Motorsports. They are in Denver/Boulder area and work very closely with Apikol.
    I had a BT Audi!****> Lost at Barber MSP 11/1/09

Hero-->http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3gN6...eature=related

Established Member Two Rings lanman1's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Great post man. I'm currently saving for the GTRS and have been putting a lot of thought into DSMIC or FMIC. When work settles down I'd definitely like to GTG and see your setup.

Veteran Member Four Rings Papachristou's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    04 Audi A4 USP,05 S4 Cabriolet

thats the way to go for anyone not going above k04! looks good!
    2004 A4 UltraSport
    APR 2+, Racetech FMIC, APR TIP, Southbend FE SS, Stasis 4:1 Center Diff, Neuspeed Exhaust/test pipe, Podi/VEI boost gauge, Stasis StreetSports, JHM Solid Short Shifter -1" Stern ACAs

2005 S4 Sprint Blue Cabriolet
    Stock but 1 of 150

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Other German Stuff

Quote Originally Posted by lanman1 View Post
    Great post man. I'm currently saving for the GTRS and have been putting a lot of thought into DSMIC or FMIC. When work settles down I'd definitely like to GTG and see your setup.
    Anytime man, just give me a call. If my buddy ever emails me the data, I will get the logs up. I think you guys will be pretty impressed. As far as info about the unit, I talked directly to Brendan at Apikol ( He is the owner/ main engineer) several times. He seemed very eager to help. I would drop him an email if you had any questions etc.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    95.5 UrS6, 05 A6 3.2Q

Has everyone seen this? This dyno run was with an APR 1+ tuned car w/ stock and w/apikol IC runs. Clicky Clicky Its a .pdf and it takes a sec to load.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Other German Stuff

Quote Originally Posted by audi314 View Post
    Has everyone seen this? This dyno run was with an APR 1+ tuned car w/ stock and w/apikol IC runs. Clicky Clicky Its a .pdf and it takes a sec to load.
    Nice!

Senior Member Two Rings fbottone's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I was able to do the install without having to take off the bumper. Its a little tricky but if you take the headlight out and use that room to pull it up first and then tilt it you can get it out through the bottom.

And yeah, you do have to trim the shroud..
    [ :: 2007 2.0TQ6MT :: Stock!!!! :: 44000 ]

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    95.5 UrS6, 05 A6 3.2Q

damn! thats impressive. I was wondering about that but didnt think it would have been possible. Guess I was wrong.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Other German Stuff

Quote Originally Posted by fbottone View Post
    I was able to do the install without having to take off the bumper. Its a little tricky but if you take the headlight out and use that room to pull it up first and then tilt it you can get it out through the bottom.

And yeah, you do have to trim the shroud..
    That is impressive. I don't even think I could get the shroud off of it with the bumper on, much less get the entire unit out.

Registered Member Two Rings theSYNDICATE's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    02 A4 1.8TQM, 06 CBR600RR

Good stuff, but 600 for a side mount seems a little ridiculous.
    www.swed1five.com

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    95.5 UrS6, 05 A6 3.2Q

AH ha that why I jumped on it when it was just over $500 for the introductory price!

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Other German Stuff

AH ha that why I jumped on it when it was just over $500 for the introductory price!
    The intro price was definitely nice. Even at ~$580 I think this is the best option for someone who is not planning on going BAT.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    95.5 UrS6, 05 A6 3.2Q

now if Apikol can just make a DSMIC setup....... I would love it!

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Hamotee View Post
    That is impressive. I don't even think I could get the shroud off of it with the bumper on, much less get the entire unit out.
    You just have to reach in from the area around the grille near the fog light and push up in the right spots with a flathead. The clips push straight up, once I realized that it was simple to get the shroud out. It was a little tricky to line it back up to get it back in, but still not too bad.

Veteran Member Three Rings T-dot B6's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2005 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro 6MT

Very nice! i too have the apikol but its waiting to be installed. Quick question, do the tabs on the shroud that you have to cut off hinder airflow characteristics? Meaning that do those tabs use the intercooler to hold itself so it doesn't shake or vibrate (turbulence) when air is flowing quickly? TIA
    2005 Audi A4 1.8TQ | Light Silver Metallic | Ebony | 6-Speed | Premium | Lighting | Sport | Cold

GIAC FXK03 | TT225 Injectors | Hyperboost | AFE | NGK | 3M | Formula 1 Tint | Audi Sport | APIKOL SMIC

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Other German Stuff

Quote Originally Posted by T-dot B6 View Post
    Very nice! i too have the apikol but its waiting to be installed. Quick question, do the tabs on the shroud that you have to cut off hinder airflow characteristics? Meaning that do those tabs use the intercooler to hold itself so it doesn't shake or vibrate (turbulence) when air is flowing quickly? TIA
    I don't think this would change the stability of the shroud at all. There are three clips that hold the shroud to the intercooler. If you look at the front of the apikol unit, that is what the three short posts are for. The section that you have to trim is there to direct the air to the intercooler, with the larger unit you need to make the opening a little larger to direct air over the entire core. Good luck with the install!

Veteran Member Three Rings T-dot B6's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2005 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro 6MT

hey hamotee you've got PM
    2005 Audi A4 1.8TQ | Light Silver Metallic | Ebony | 6-Speed | Premium | Lighting | Sport | Cold

GIAC FXK03 | TT225 Injectors | Hyperboost | AFE | NGK | 3M | Formula 1 Tint | Audi Sport | APIKOL SMIC

AZ Member #

The part of the shroud that you have to trim is because the stock IC is not flush with the endtanks (its not as deep). The stock shroud has protrusions on the side which close up the gap between the endtanks on the left and right sides.

With the apikol, these protrusions hit the (deeper) core itself, and it makes a gap on the top and bottom instead.

Hopefully my rudimentary Paint diagram makes sense.

Senior Member Three Rings ZGSON's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    05 Civic EX(manual)/02 GSXR600

Quote Originally Posted by Hamotee View Post
    The intro price was definitely nice. Even at ~$580 I think this is the best option for someone who is not planning on going BAT.
    Whats BAT? Big ass turbo?

Veteran Member Four Rings wolfdog's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Hmm,
    230 to 202 to 200 on torque
    175 to 163 to 156 on horsepower

No doubt much better over stock but still a 13% and 11% loss, respectively. Not bad but for $600 I wonder. I really want to go with it over a smaller FMIC but scoring a used FMIC at the same or better price makes you think.

I want to hear people loving this thing if I'm going to go for it. I wonder how the Tyrolsport does...
    2002 A4 TQMS
    Motoza 1+ w/Genesis 380s, 034 HFC, K&N drop-in, 710N, Neuspeed snub, StopTech SS lines w/Hawk HPS, Conti DWS, full Votex, Pioneer FH-X700BT, DDM 35W 4500K HID

12/23/09 - My car has been phenomenal to me. Runs strong. Don't think I'm ever going to sell it. Rather throw $7k into it for a refresh than buy a new A4 that has no dipstick.
    12/5/10 - 100k miles & counting!
    9/22/13 - 146k+ & running strong w/a new TB, water pump, etc.

Veteran Member Four Rings jrau13's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    02 Mercedes ML, 04 Avant 1.8t

Quote Originally Posted by ZGSON View Post
    Whats BAT? Big ass turbo?
    yup
    I'll keep my money,
    My Guns, My Freedom,
    & you can keep the CHANGE

Veteran Member Four Rings SeKKeY's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    MKVI GTI (dd), DTM S4, B6 USP (sold), B5 1.8T (RIP)

I've got this unit on my car..i chose it to retain a stock looking front (aftermarket FMIC is illegal here in CA)..and its a huge improvement over stock with my K04. i have no boost loss, and turbo spools as quickly as when i had my stock intercooler. i have only that to compare it to...
    USP CLUB MEMBER #10

Stage 2++++++++ JHM B7 S4

Veteran Member Four Rings DownhillA4's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Yes, bumping an old thread because I searched. So since the SMIC craze of 2007/2008, anyone recently install one?

Right now i'm sitting with my front bumper off, hoses disconnected, and OEM Intercooler shroud off. I'm up to step 13 on the Apikol SMIC install:

http://www.apikol.com/skin/frontend/...IC-install.pdf

Curious to know is Step 14/15 need to be done or its possible to remove the SMIC by just taking out the driver-side headlight tray? Don't want to loosen up/shift anything that doesn't need to be. Thanks!
    Rally North America, (VA to CO), July 6-11th, 2014 Link to my Team No Texting's Donation Page for Multiple Sclerosis!

IG: downhilla4

"If you are a true automotive enthusiast whom loves their car,
    you learn to catch rides to parties and leave your car at home."- dougyfresh