Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Registered Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Bleed Coolant System

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Hey everyone,
    Could someone link me to a DIY for bleeding the coolant system in a B5 A4 V6. I have an air pocket in the system and everything is getting screwy. I've searched all over the site (yes, I have used the "search" function) and have not yet been able to find an appropriate DIY. I am somewhat mechanically retarded, so pictures would be amazing. Thanks!

Veteran Member Four Rings Seerlah's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Re: Bleed Coolant System

I am no expert as someone will chimmey in and either correct or add onto this. There is actually an addative you can purchase to add to coolant that is supposed to clear out any air bubbles in your coolant system (can get at autozone). I just don't know if people would recommend that for our cars.

If you mean you want to do a complete coolant flush (or bleed as you say to get air bubble), there is a DIY. Just make sure you have a container that can hold maybe 2 gallons if you just want to reuse old coolant. http://audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=73219

AZ Member #

Well apparently there is a bleed valve somewhere on the coolant line that you open. After that you wait for the coolant to run out; once it runs you know there are no more air bubbles. Problem is I can't find that darn valve.

AZ Member #

Pardon, I am not too knowledgable about cars. But I did a search and it says the bleed valve is right on/near the sensor.

Veteran Member Four Rings Mawhitey's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    99 AJL TQS

There is a bleed hole on the one heater hose located on the bulkhead.if you undo the clip and slide it off slightly till the bleed hole is visable,when the engine is running it will bleed the air out till coolant starts to come out,then push the pipe back on,job done
    -Mark -

.1985cc Stroker, GTRS Eliminator, ME7, Miltek, and other goodies
    My Elim , ME3 DBC to ME7 DBW build thread

AZ Member #

I don't know what a bulkhead is. Describing car terms with other car terms will confuse me even more.

AZ Member #

Am I anywhere close? Someone describe where it is based on these pics.

Veteran Member Four Rings Kronic Budz's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    1997 A4 2.8 QM

has ur coolant always looked piss yellow? What year a4 do u have?, my coolant is pink.
    1997 Audi A4 2.8 QM black on black
    bilstein sports w/ vogtland sports ~ S4/sport sway bars ~ 17x8 Bremmer Kraft Br05 wheels et33~ BF G's Sport COMP 2's 225/45/17 ~ Custom Exhaust ~ CAI ~ Ebay SS ~ SS brake lines + EBC red stuff ~ 35% tint/70% front tint ~ face lift headlights w/ 5000k HID + tails ~ blacked out grill trim~ kenwood mp3 ~ Polk comp 5.25" Front mm speakers ~ Infinity REF 6.5" rear speaks ~ 10" Rockford Fosgate p2 in sealed box ~ ED nine.4 4ch. amp powering woofer/polks[/I]

AZ Member #

99, it's actually pink on the inside of the reservoir.

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

if you're looking at the front of your car down low on the front bottom right corner of the rad there is a little rubber screwish thing that is the plug for the rad... atleast on mine it's how i drained all of my coolant

AZ Member #

Veteran Member Three Rings ibew5audi's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Megacab6spdSmarty-fjr1300-express3500

$15 haynes manual has alot of pictures
    I copied this from a post back in sept of '07 found on search. For 1.8 but might help?

Ok. I had the same problem after a moron mechanic did a tstat/coolant change.

Take your cowl cover or whatever you want to call the big cover around the battery.
    Next, you'll see some wide flex loom. Peel it back or slide it down to reveal two hoses that go to your heater core.
    The hose on the left if you're facing the car will have a white circle towards the end of the hose past the clamp. That is your bleeder.
    Slide the clamp down the hose away from the heater core nipple. Then slide the
    hose back until the pin hole (your bleeder) is just barely past the nipple and leave it there.
    Start the car and let it reach temp (tstat will open). As it heats up you will notice steam coming out of the bleeder. Let that happen for a while (5 mins?) and then with some rags in your hand (so your windshield doesn't get covered) rev the car at the throttle body (don't know if dbw has this capability). This will push a larger vol. of coolant through the heater core and start to squirt a little. When you're satisfied that the air is purged or the bleeder starts spraying (standby to hold the hose on or have someone at the ign. to shut it off while you do this).
    Put the hose back into it's orig. position and reposition clamp. Just did my timing belt kit also. Runs right in the middle and warms up like it did when I bought it from the dealer. Last winter my heat sucked bad when it was -10. Let me know if it helps you.
    Last edited by ibew5audi; 02-03-2008 at 08:01 PM.

Veteran Member Three Rings ibew5audi's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Megacab6spdSmarty-fjr1300-express3500

Haynes manual says there are two bleeder screws-rear coolant pipe and front coolant pipe.
    One in back is on driver's side by expansion tank by cylinder head.

Senior Member Three Rings bastosmafka's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Audi A4 Q

i was told the bleeder valve is only on S4's. when i had to bleed my 12v it was just leave the cap open and pump the top hose for days. then with any other bubbles just drive the car like you usually do with the cap on and everything. then check the coolant levels every so often for a day or two. add whatever you need and rinse repeat.
    TEAM|AXION

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Mawhitey View Post
    There is a bleed hole on the one heater hose located on the bulkhead.if you undo the clip and slide it off slightly till the bleed hole is visable,when the engine is running it will bleed the air out till coolant starts to come out,then push the pipe back on,job done
    Thank you! that bit of info solved my heat problem!

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '99.5 A4 2.8QM
    Items for Sale

Wow so much misinformation, OP has a v6 which means the bleeder screw is located on a black coolant pipe near the coil packs. Just look around that area and you'll see a curved black pipe with a hex screw sticking out. You fill the system until coolant starts dripping out, close the screw and finish filling the reservoir. If that's not enough take the reservoir cap off when the motor's cold and let it idle for a while.