Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Veteran Member Three Rings generik777's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    1998.5 A4 2.8 Quattro Tip

Magnetic block heater?

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Well the snow and cold weather is finally here and it will soon be cold enough that the car won't wanna start. I'm thinking of getting a magnetic block heater, I have a V6 so it would be fairly easy to throw it on and remove it when needed. Anyone had any experience with these? I'm wondering if they work pretty well or not. Or would I be better off just having a shop put a normal block heater in, and how much do you think that would cost? Thanx

Veteran Member Four Rings 317ssayzarc's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2001 Golf 2004 A4 USP

Re: Magnetic block heater?

Quote Originally Posted by generik777 View Post
    Well the snow and cold weather is finally here and it will soon be cold enough that the car won't wanna start. I'm thinking of getting a magnetic block heater, I have a V6 so it would be fairly easy to throw it on and remove it when needed. Anyone had any experience with these? I'm wondering if they work pretty well or not. Or would I be better off just having a shop put a normal block heater in, and how much do you think that would cost? Thanx
    got a link?

Site Moderator Four Rings onemoremile's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    99.5 A4 Avant, 01 allroad

How cold does it get over there? Even when it is below zero my car starts just fine. A good battery helps. Both the Audi and Subaru run Optima red tops.
    Jim - Moderator

We cannot achieve the future by being timid. It requires aggressive imagination.

I Do Werk.

Veteran Member Three Rings black00A4's Avatar
    AZ Member #

wont work on the audi, oil pan is aluminum.

Site Moderator Four Rings onemoremile's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    99.5 A4 Avant, 01 allroad

FWIW, my Outback has a block heater. It hasn't ever been plugged in. The right weight oil is important.
    Jim - Moderator

We cannot achieve the future by being timid. It requires aggressive imagination.

I Do Werk.

Veteran Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Pearl 98.5 Audi A4 1.8T

I've only had mine not start due to cold twice - one time its was at -25 below, there was a strong wind and I parked it so the wind was blowing directing into the front of the car. The other time I think it was a bit colder -30 or so, at that was at the inlaw's - yeah that looked great. Both times I went and got the battery checked and it tested good. Just too dam cold!
    1998.5 1.8TQT (SOLD)

Joined the Dark Side
    2008 Honda Pilot SE

Established Member Two Rings Kunundrum's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    99.5 A4 1.8TQMS / 2009 GLI 6sp

0w40 synthetic is what I use in January to March, never had a problem and was in -30 a couple times.
    ***99.5 A4 1.8TQMS***
    1.0Bar Neuspeed Chip, 6000k HID, 710N, Stage 3 SouthBend OFE, 18" CSA (BBS Clones) on PZeros
    ***2009 GLI 6spd***

Veteran Member Three Rings generik777's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    1998.5 A4 2.8 Quattro Tip

Quote Originally Posted by akielb View Post
    I've only had mine not start due to cold twice - one time its was at -25 below, there was a strong wind and I parked it so the wind was blowing directing into the front of the car. The other time I think it was a bit colder -30 or so, at that was at the inlaw's - yeah that looked great. Both times I went and got the battery checked and it tested good. Just too dam cold!
    Yeah same here, Last year it was around -40 with the wind chill and the car didn't want to start. I also had my battery tested last year and it was all good. I pretty much just wanted it for those nights where it gets extremely cold.

Established Member Two Rings mark_2328's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I'm in minnesota and my car REALLY struggles to start now that its getting somewhat cold. 20's, 10's, etc. What's the best weight oil to run in the cold north winters?