Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Veteran Member Four Rings dummptyhummpty's Avatar
    AZ Member #

A4 Stereo Information Thread

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I noticed there was a lack of Audio related info on Audizine so I decided to compile some of my knowledge and some of the knowledge I was able to find on here. As far as I know all information applies to B6 and B7 A4s and S4s unless I note otherwise. I take no credit for any of the information provided and assume no liability for anything you do to your car. If you find that something is wrong, outdated, find a broken link or have something that you like to add, please let me know by a PM. Enjoy!

General
    Q: What’s the difference between the Bose system and the Non-Bose system?
    A: The headunits are the same with different coding which can be changed by using a Vag-Com. Both systems have the same amount of speakers. On the Bose system, the headunit provides line outs to the Bose amp which powers all of the speakers. The amp has a dedicated output for the center speaker. On the Non-Bose system, the headunit powers the front speakers while the external amp powers the rears and sub. The center speaker is spliced together from both of the front speakers. On the 2004.5 A4s (not sure about the S4s) Audi changed the Bose amp and added the Bose Audiopilot feature. This is similar to the previous GALA feature, which raises the volume as your speed (or cabin noise) increases.

Q: Where can I learn more about car electronics/audio?
    A: I recommend this site.

Symphony II Diagram:

Q: Can I upgrade to the Symphony II+ headunit?
    A: Yes you can. See this thread.

Non-Bose
    Q: How do I disable the internal equalization/compression in the headunit?
    A: Please see this thread by TJHUB in the B7 section.

Q: Is it possible to enable the line outs on my headunit?
    A: This can be done by using an adapter made by TeddyBGame (or your own custom one) to give you RCA outs. You then need to ground the “Bose Pin” to enable the line outs (see the thread in the previous question).

Bose
    Bose Amp Diagram:

Q: How can I disable the Bose Audiopilot?
    A: See this thread where you can either do it yourself or find the TSB information for your dealer.

Aftermarket
    Q: How do I retain my steering wheel controls?
    A: You need the SWI-Can from PAC (Pacific Accessory Corporation), available at Enfig Car Stereo. You also need the SWI-Jack or SWI-PS depending upon your headunit.

Q: Where do I find the speed sensor wire?
    A: The site that had this information originally (here) is dead. Behind the driver’s side kick panel there should be a group of connectors. On the black connector your want to tap the blue/white wire (pin 13).

Q: Where do I find the reverse light wire?
    A: On the same connecter in the above answer: the blue/red wire (pin 15).

Q: Where do I find the illumination wire?
    A: Remove the headlight switch by pushing in and turning clockwise. You want to tap the gray/blue wire.

Q: Can I use the OEM “Sharkfin” GPS antenna?
    A: Researching.

Q: Can I use the OEM “Sharkfin” Satellite radio antenna?
    A: Researching.

Q: What dash kit do I use for a double din radio?
    A: This one. You have to cut out the bar in the center with a dremal.

Q: What do I need to mount the Pioneer Avic D3 in my dash?
    A: See the above question. You also need the ADT-VA133 or a D2 mounting bracket.

This is it for tonight. I plan to add more.
    Last edited by dummptyhummpty; 10-01-2007 at 02:51 PM.
    If you need to contact me, send a PM.
    1965 Corvette Stingray
    2003 Audi A4 1.8tq (RIP: 2/10/04)
    2004.5 Audi A4 3.0q (Sold: 8/15/09)
    2003.5 BMW M3
    2013 Ford Edge Sport AWD

AZ Member #

Re: A4 Stereo Information Thread

Reserved.
    1965 Corvette Stingray
    2003.5 BMW M3
    2013 Ford Edge Sport AWD

AZ Member #

Reserved 2.
    1965 Corvette Stingray
    2003.5 BMW M3
    2013 Ford Edge Sport AWD

Registered Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    325ci/FX35

Thanks for this thread.
    --D
    quattr0000

Registered Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    325ci/FX35

hows the PES G3 Supercharger vs. 1.8t
    quattr0000

Veteran Member Four Rings rxrep's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    has nothing in it but memories.

Nice. Thanks for that! couple things. I think dremel is not spelled dermal, even though I have no clue what correct spelling is. "Dermal", by definition, is your skin, and you can't cut much with that.
    Second, the OE sharkfin can be used for both XM and Sirius, however it does need some manipulation. I've had both Sirius and XM at various times and it works fine.
    The wire outputs are behind the fender trunk liner on the driver's side rear. The problem is that the OE antenna output is dual coax and most later edition sat units are single coax.
    There is an adapter, but not readily available, to go from dual lead antenna to single lead unit. The adapter that is easily found online is to go from dual lead unit to single lead antenna. That one, while easily found online, cannot be reversed for our needs.
    The other problem is that the plug's tabs need shaved off, because the colored plugs need reversed. When combining like colors from OE sat antenna to the adapter to aftermarket sat unit, it won't work. But reverse the plugs, and you will work fine. I pick up strong terrestrial as well as sat signal.
    My 2004.5 APR Stage 3+ is SOLD

Established Member Two Rings ironduke's Avatar
    AZ Member #

nice thread, thanks.

regarding bose:

since all the low level outputs etc. already go from the symph II headunit to the trunk mounted bose amp via a 25-pin multi connector located in the trunk:

can we just tap into those wires and replace the bose amp with a good aftermarket one? all the stuff is there, even for the speaker connections.

better yet, if a a 25-pin multi connector to individual input/output connector conversion harness thingy could be constructed, that would be an easy "plug and play" solution for switching out the bose amp. no one offers this though.

anyone have specs for the bose amp?

Veteran Member Four Rings rxrep's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    has nothing in it but memories.

Quote Originally Posted by ironduke View Post
    no one offers this though.
    Nice info on that. I used a diagram on my xTerra with Rockford Fosgate system. I went aftermarket but still used all internal wiring and some of the amps; with diagrams on the pin outs I was able to still use factory sub but then use all of the cars existing stuff to wire up new head unit and new amps.
    Good find; may are going to appreciate that!
    My 2004.5 APR Stage 3+ is SOLD

AZ Member #

RxRep,

Thanks for pointing out the dremal spelling mistake. It was late and I was tired. I know you can use the OEM antenna, I just have not had time to put all the information together.

ironduke,
    You might want to contact TeddyBGame, he can make a harness that comes out of the OEM headunit, it gives you RCA outputs.
    1965 Corvette Stingray
    2003.5 BMW M3
    2013 Ford Edge Sport AWD

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by dummptyhummpty View Post
    RxRep,

Thanks for pointing out the dremal spelling mistake. It was late and I was tired. I know you can use the OEM antenna, I just have not had time to put all the information together.

ironduke,
    You might want to contact TeddyBGame, he can make a harness that comes out of the OEM headunit, it gives you RCA outputs.
    thanks, but i already talked to him. he doesn't do the plug 'n play thing i mentioned. the headunit harness thing is all good, but really i was trying to avoid ripping the car apart and simply hooking into the existing wires in the trunk. an adapter like i'm talking about shouldn't be that hard.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by rxrep View Post
    Nice info on that. I used a diagram on my xTerra with Rockford Fosgate system. I went aftermarket but still used all internal wiring and some of the amps; with diagrams on the pin outs I was able to still use factory sub but then use all of the cars existing stuff to wire up new head unit and new amps.
    Good find; may are going to appreciate that!
    courtesy a4mods Stock Headunit - Sub Install.

AZ Member #

thanks, but i already talked to him. he doesn't do the plug 'n play thing i mentioned. the headunit harness thing is all good, but really i was trying to avoid ripping the car apart and simply hooking into the existing wires in the trunk. an adapter like i'm talking about shouldn't be that hard.
    That's something I will look into. So you want to use all the factory wireing, but add a new amp?
    1965 Corvette Stingray
    2003.5 BMW M3
    2013 Ford Edge Sport AWD

AZ Member #

That's something I will look into. So you want to use all the factory wireing, but add a new amp?
    that's what i'm thinking.

i understand the bose amp<->speakers work on about 2ohms, and that most aftermarket stuff is 4ohms, so likely an amp replacement would require speaker replacements to ones that work on 4ohms. seems even so i should be able to use the speaker wires already in place. ('cept i have no idea if there are crossovers on the bose speakers or what. i'm kinda new to all this.)

AZ Member #

that's what i'm thinking.

i understand the bose amp<->speakers work on about 2ohms, and that most aftermarket stuff is 4ohms, so likely an amp replacement would require speaker replacements to ones that work on 4ohms. seems even so i should be able to use the speaker wires already in place. ('cept i have no idea if there are crossovers on the bose speakers or what. i'm kinda new to all this.)
    I have not heard of any crossovers being used, I think it's all done in the amp. If I could find out where to get the other end of that 25pin connector, an adapter would not be hard to make.
    1965 Corvette Stingray
    2003.5 BMW M3
    2013 Ford Edge Sport AWD

AZ Member #

Bump.

Any suggestions on things you all might want me to add?
    1965 Corvette Stingray
    2003.5 BMW M3
    2013 Ford Edge Sport AWD

Veteran Member Four Rings alexza4's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    13-X5||01-///M3
    Items for Sale

Lee @nsxjr.com has some excellent diagrams / install guides on his site. Just about everything you need for symphonyI/II/RNSE/D/MFSW conversions. You may wanna use some of the suff from there in your thread or just link to it.
    Last edited by alexza4; 10-03-2007 at 12:00 PM.
    2003 A4 QM EFR 6758 on meth - SOLD :((
    2015 S5 Daytona Grey - ON ORDER :))

Senior Member Three Rings gaith's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    barely can afford my A4

Quote Originally Posted by alexza4 View Post
    Lee @nsxjr.com has some excellent diagrams / install guides on his site. Just about everything you need for symphonyI/II/RNSE/D/MFSW conversions.
    great site.....
    I AM LOOKING FOR SYMPHONY II+ HEAD UNIT

A4 03 1.8TQ - APR 1 - sport package - tints - RS4 pedals - aero wipers - blindspot euro mirrors - S4 blades - Sline sills - yellow fogs - RS4 18" WHEELS - VAG mods - tips

FOR SALE
    4 OEM B6 sport wheels 17"

Registered Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Is the connector the same on B5s with bose?

AZ Member #

I am assuming there would be bose labels on the speaker grilles if the car had bose. If that is true, what is the pin out of the regular factory amp?
    -Joe-
    '08 A4 2.0T Q
    '01 Land Rover Disco II
    '99 Porsche Boxster

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2003 A4 1.8TM, 1987 325, 1987 528
    Items for Sale

Nice FAQ. This should be a sticky, or a link to it should be added to a sticky already posted!

One thing I wanted to add is if you wanted to install an aftermarket HU in your car if it has the Symphony system.

The easiest way is to get a VW harness. Wire your power (yellow), ground, and fronts as you would normally do. Then for the rear speakers you will have to cut off the wires and solder RCA's onto the rear speaker line outs on the factory wiring harness. Just find an old set of RCA's and cut the ends off leaving about 6 inches of wire to work with. Just remember the surrounding wire is "-" and the inner wire is "+". It is a common ground setup, so you will hook up the RR and LR to the same wire. See diagram below.

I did this with my Pioneer D/D screen, and I was actually amazed on the sound difference I got from just a HU swap. Also, your sound levels will not be equal and you will have to adjust the balance of your HU. This all depends on the preout voltage of your HU.

It is also INCREDIBLY easy to mount a double din in our dashes. I fabed a mount in about 15 min after a stared at it for about an hour and took some measurements. I will look through my pics to see if I can post anything to show the guys that are trying to tackle this on their own. All in all, now that I know how to hook everything up and fab the brackets. I could do it all again in less than 30 min.

Here is a crappy pic of my install. As soon is a source some paint that matches the dash perfectly I will use body filler to get the dash piece smoothed out and then paint it.

Last edited by LavaSurfer; 12-04-2007 at 11:37 PM.
    Robbie
    2003 A4 1.8TM
    Motor F21 Turbo, FMIC, Green Tops, Meth Injection, Motoza Tune, Carbonio, Forge DV, Ecode Test Pipe, Neuspeed Catback, 034 Motorsport Solid Mounts
    Suspension Statis SS, Antera Type 309 18x8
    Interior/Audio Pioneer D/D Head, JL 450/4, JL 500/1, JL ZR650's, 2 - 8 JL 8W7's

AZ Member #

Lava Surfer,

Thanks for the info! I'm sure many would appreciate it. Just to clarify your talking about the Symphony II non-Bose correct?

I did some research today for another member and it looks like you can use the same Metra harness as the Bose system because it has all the wires there. You would just not use the RCAs for the front and use the speaker level wires on the harness. If any one is confused by this, just ask!
    1965 Corvette Stingray
    2003.5 BMW M3
    2013 Ford Edge Sport AWD

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Items for Sale

You are correct. The above instructions are for non-Bose Symphony II cars.

From what I can see from the harness that plugs into the Bose amp is looks like you will hook it up similar to what I did for the Symphony II system. And, I see no reason why the plugs would be different behind the radio between the two? (Someone please correct my if I'm wrong.)

Here is a diagram of the Bose system hookup.

Robbie
    2003 A4 1.8TM
    Motor F21 Turbo, FMIC, Green Tops, Meth Injection, Motoza Tune, Carbonio, Forge DV, Ecode Test Pipe, Neuspeed Catback, 034 Motorsport Solid Mounts

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Items for Sale

anyone have specs for the bose amp?
    It states the specs in the owners manual. I can't remember off the top of my head, I will check tomorrow and post up.
    Robbie
    2003 A4 1.8TM

Veteran Member Three Rings scorneil's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I found the link that you specify "thread is dead". It's moved to
    http://www.nav-plus.com/a4b6.html

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by scorneil View Post
    I found the link that you specify "thread is dead". It's moved to
    http://www.nav-plus.com/a4b6.html
    Thanks. I can't edit my original post though, so i'll have to see if a moderator can do that.
    1965 Corvette Stingray
    2003.5 BMW M3
    2013 Ford Edge Sport AWD

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    02 A4 3.0QM, 84 Rabbit GTI

I have not heard of any crossovers being used, I think it's all done in the amp.
    There is a crossover on the Bose tweeters. It's wired on the tweeter its self. The woofers appear to get a full-range signal.

You can use the factory speakers with a new amp, they'll just be putting out 1/2 the power they would if they were 4ohm speakers.

AZ Member #

[QUOTE=Splattj;2108302]There is a crossover on the Bose tweeters. It's wired on the tweeter its self. The woofers appear to get a full-range signal.

Good to know, thanks. I'm sure there is a LPF somewhere as disconnecting the sub makes a big difference on the low end.
    1965 Corvette Stingray
    2003.5 BMW M3
    2013 Ford Edge Sport AWD

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Items for Sale

I thought I would add some pics to this thread of the mounts I fabbed for my DD head unit. They are basically some CD changer mounts I had left over in my spare parts bin. I cut them to clear the dash, as you can see, with a pair of tinsnips. I was afraid of them not being stong enough at first, but after about 9 months they are perfect as I get no vibration and the unit doesn't move at all when you are touching the screen. They are bolted to the side of the unit, as there are a number of different holes you can use to position it where you want it to go. The two 8mm bolts on each side are a part of a metal frame in the dash and it seem plenty strong for the job.

Robbie
    2003 A4 1.8TM

Veteran Member Three Rings GarbatyA4's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2003 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro

Has anyone ever Converted from stock to Bose stereo? I've been researching for whats Involved. I already swapped out the center channel as i had to remove the dash to replace the airbags.

I have a parts car and I would really like to hook up the Bose components as my stock system blows. It's good enough for me.

Anyone point me in the right direction please? or have any insight?

Veteran Member Four Rings akaEsCo01's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Has anyone figured out how to keep the DIS radio info when you install an aftermarket HU. It my be a little thing, but that top part being off looks really annoying

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by GarbatyA4 View Post
    Has anyone ever Converted from stock to Bose stereo? I've been researching for whats Involved. I already swapped out the center channel as i had to remove the dash to replace the airbags.

I have a parts car and I would really like to hook up the Bose components as my stock system blows. It's good enough for me.

Anyone point me in the right direction please? or have any insight?
    Just saw this. The headunit is the same (just some VagCom coding changes) and you will need the Bose amp and of course the speakers. You will probably need to run some wire from the headunit to the amp as it may not be there already. It's probably not worth it, you should just buy some aftermarket speakers and maybe an amp.

Quote Originally Posted by akaEsCo01 View Post
    Has anyone figured out how to keep the DIS radio info when you install an aftermarket HU. It my be a little thing, but that top part being off looks really annoying
    It's not really something to figure out. What one would need to do is create an interface that can talk to the car's canbus system (pretty simple to do if you know what your doing). This interface would also need to talk to the aftermarket unit to pull data. This is a little harder as you need to figure out how to do that. It might not even be possible.
    1965 Corvette Stingray
    2003.5 BMW M3
    2013 Ford Edge Sport AWD

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2005 A4 1.8 T Q M

I'm pretty sure that the front doors have 5.25" components, and the rear doors have 6.5" components. Can anyone confirm this?

Also, if anyone has mounting DEPTH for front and back that would be a huge help for DIY replacements.
    Slowly But Surely...20%, II+, 2 way Remote Start, CC

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by dts0099 View Post
    I'm pretty sure that the front doors have 5.25" components, and the rear doors have 6.5" components. Can anyone confirm this?

Also, if anyone has mounting DEPTH for front and back that would be a huge help for DIY replacements.
    Everything i've seen points to them being 6.5. I could be wrong though.
    1965 Corvette Stingray
    2003.5 BMW M3
    2013 Ford Edge Sport AWD

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Audi 1.8TQM6 S-line USP 2004

anyone knows why my bosch system sounds like mono?. I have the audi concert II cd player??
    USP CLUB MEMBER 861

Rev0 stage I file - 300+ bosch injector - OFE SS - APR Snub mount - Nitrogen - RS4 Swaybar - K&N air filter - **-

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by A4p View Post
    anyone knows why my bosch system sounds like mono?. I have the audi concert cd player??
    Do you mean Bose?
    1965 Corvette Stingray
    2003.5 BMW M3
    2013 Ford Edge Sport AWD

AZ Member #
    My Garage

yes
    USP CLUB MEMBER 861

Rev0 stage I file - 300+ bosch injector - OFE SS - APR Snub mount - Nitrogen - RS4 Swaybar - K&N air filter - **-

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by A4p View Post
    yes
    It just doesn't sound that good. If your wanting more, I would look into upgrading the head unit.
    1965 Corvette Stingray
    2003.5 BMW M3
    2013 Ford Edge Sport AWD

AZ Member #
    My Garage

My old car with some standard speakers where better then this. I think maybe it coult be cable not puttet correct in..
    USP CLUB MEMBER 861

Registered Member One Ring
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '05-Audi-A4-1.8TQuattro-6 spd

Hey...I have the Bose system with Sirius Sat. Is there an adapter kit to add an aux input for ipod etc. while still keeping Sirius?

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by AntA4B6nj View Post
    Hey...I have the Bose system with Sirius Sat. Is there an adapter kit to add an aux input for ipod etc. while still keeping Sirius?
    You can make one. I would talk to NSXJR (I think he's on Audiworld or try www.nsxjr.com) as he made them. I have some of the parts you would need, if you want them let me know.
    1965 Corvette Stingray
    2003.5 BMW M3
    2013 Ford Edge Sport AWD

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast