Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Registered Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '03 A4 TQSM & '08 Tahoe LTZ

Timing Belt DIY & Bolt Question

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Doing the DIY tomorrow. None of the searches I've done nor does YooGene83's DIY that I will be following mention anything about using any thread-lock when installing the new items/reinstalling the radiator/bumper/etc. Has anyone used thread-lock when doing this work or experienced any issues when not? Any help would be appreciated. TIA

Veteran Member Four Rings old guy's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2003 A4, 2009 CC VR6 Sport, 2013 A5 B8
    Items for Sale

Re: Timing Belt DIY & Bolt Question

Quote Originally Posted by Sleeper1.8T View Post
    Doing the DIY tomorrow. None of the searches I've done nor does YooGene83's DIY that I will be following mention anything about using any thread-lock when installing the new items/reinstalling the radiator/bumper/etc. Has anyone used thread-lock when doing this work or experienced any issues when not? Any help would be appreciated. TIA
    I used blue thread lock on the TB tensioner, crank pulley, water pump, and serpentine belt tensioner.
    A4 Motoza tuned Frankenturbo F21L mixed flow turbo / Bosch 550's / 3" MAF / TyrolSport SMIC / FT High Flow Exhaust Manifold / 034 HFC / TT 2.5" DP / Borla Exhaust / Eibach ProKit Springs / Koni Yellows / H-Sport Sway Bars / TyrolSport Brake Stiffeners / HyperShift Short Shifter / Podi Boost Gauge
    A5 Mods to come: Little stuff so far. 20/25mm spacers / H&R OE Sport springs / 35% tint

Veteran Member Four Rings old guy's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2003 A4, 2009 CC VR6 Sport, 2013 A5 B8
    Items for Sale

Here is another tip for lining up your timing belt. I have changed a lot of TB's over the years and this works on all of them. Before you remove your old TB I am sure you will line up the timing marks as described in all the DIY's. But you need to make a few additional marks with a paint pen. Mark a tooth on the cam sprocket and also paint a line across the TB notch that engages the tooth. It can be any cam sprocket tooth. Now do the same thing on the crank sprocket. Mark any tooth that is engaged in the TB and paint a line across the TB notch that engages the tooth. After you take off your timing belt lay it on the ground on its side. Position the new TB exactly on top of the old TB and line it up notch for notch. It should look like a double wide TB at this point. Mark your new TB to match your old belt. Now when you install your new belt all you have to do is to line up the paint marks on the new TB with the marked cam and crank sprockets. If you follow this procedure it is virtually impossible to put the belt on wrong. It really takes the worry about whether or not you moved either sprocket and whether or not your timing marks are lined up properly. In fact, with this method you don't even have to use the factory cam and crank timing marks at all to change out the belt.

Have fun!
    Last edited by old guy; 07-31-2011 at 01:54 PM. Reason: updated a few comments
    A4 Motoza tuned Frankenturbo F21L mixed flow turbo / Bosch 550's / 3" MAF / TyrolSport SMIC / FT High Flow Exhaust Manifold / 034 HFC / TT 2.5" DP / Borla Exhaust / Eibach ProKit Springs / Koni Yellows / H-Sport Sway Bars / TyrolSport Brake Stiffeners / HyperShift Short Shifter / Podi Boost Gauge
    A5 Mods to come: Little stuff so far. 20/25mm spacers / H&R OE Sport springs / 35% tint

Veteran Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2002 TT

That's a really good tip.

Registered Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '03 A4 TQSM & '08 Tahoe LTZ

Quote Originally Posted by ncttrnl View Post
    That's a really good tip.
    I agree. Thanks a lot OG.

Veteran Member Four Rings walky_talky20's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Marking the t-belt with a paint pen is a great trick of the trade for mechanics. Trying to decipher all the different types of factory marks can lead to errors and time wasted. I use the "double wide" method for transferring the marks, like old guy. Line up your first mark, then work your way around the belt to the second mark(s). Then I work my way back around to the first mark again for a double check. Here is a pic from my last t-belt job:

Quote Originally Posted by walky_talky20 View Post
    Of course, I marked the old belt to each sprocket before removal. I like to do 1 mark on the cam and 2 on the crank so you don't have to guess upon install. I transferred said marks to the new belt. Rubber band is just to hold these guys still for the photo:
    ^Don't listen to this guy, he's not even a mechanic.
    2001 Laser Red A4 1.8TQM, 5-Speed Swapped, 4.11 Final Drive, APR 93, R8 coil packs, Labree HFC & DP, 2.5" Exhaust, ST Coilovers, 034 RSB, A8 Brakes Front & Rear, 18" RS4 Reps
    2006 Passion Red Volvo V50 T5 AWD 6MT
    "You need to know what you are doing...Its like a rainbow jungle in there." - Redline380