Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B6 A4 TQM GTRS

Drag Race - Traction Control on or off?

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Just a question about traction control....

1. During an all out drag race, traction control on or off?
    2. Do you get different top speed with the traction control on or off?

And one out of the box question, why when my car sometimes is forced into a drift, with the traction control on (road wet) Then on my dash, all the warning lights would light up!

Veteran Member Four Rings norcatalyst126's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Re: Drag Race - Traction Control on or off?

Curious to know about this also.....

I think when the lights light up, the car is basically yelling at you to slow the f*** down....

Oh, and for people with Tip, do you find it faster to have your car in "S"port mode or shift yourself???
    need rotors?...adam's rotors

Veteran Member Four Rings BNZ TOY's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    1G FX35, 03 R6, B6 A4 MT6

these are great questions and i would like to know too...

Veteran Member Four Rings AudiA4_20T's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    10speed

OK ESP just limits power when the wheels slip. It doesnt raise your top speed or anything but when racing youll want to turn it off (lighting the triangle warning thing up) because you dont want throttle cut while your racing
    - Clint

Current : 2013 Q5 3.0T Prestige S-Line - 11.6@117 - 034 Stage2+ FBO
    Gone : One of the first ever 2.7T Swaps - White '04 S4 2.7T - Stage 2+
    Gone : Fastest B6 A4 ever - 464awhp/12.1@116

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B6 A4 TQM GTRS

Oh btw i'm a 1.8T Quattro Manual.

Glad i raised this qusestion :D

Anyway was wondering when HPA400A4 did his donuts, don't know if his car dash lights went off as well like mine

Veteran Member Four Rings AudiA4_20T's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    10speed

All he did was turn ESP off and have lots of power. ESP cuts power, so when you turn it off, it wouldnt cut power any more, hence the wheelspin, its not hard to understand
    - Clint

Current : 2013 Q5 3.0T Prestige S-Line - 11.6@117 - 034 Stage2+ FBO
    Gone : One of the first ever 2.7T Swaps - White '04 S4 2.7T - Stage 2+
    Gone : Fastest B6 A4 ever - 464awhp/12.1@116

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B6 A4 TQM GTRS

Its not that its hard to understand, anyway once again the question of the day is...

Would the lights on the dash still come on with the ESP off on HPA400A4's car?

Veteran Member Four Rings Papachristou's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Buncha motorcycles

ESP also works with the ABS system and if 400HP had it on it would have been hitting the brakes trying to stop the slide. i ebraked at about 90 on our runway and it controlled the slide very easily without much effort i did it again with ESP off and it was almost impossible to keep from losing it.. then i went and got my new set of tires lol!

and not many 1.8t's need to worry about turning it off during a drag race unless you are Front wheel drive... i dont think many of us have the power to break all four loose at the start! well at least i dont lol!
    Last edited by Papachristou; 02-22-2007 at 06:41 PM.
    2018 Audi S6 Prestige Sport Sepang Blue/Lunar Silver
    APR Stage 2/AWE Intake

Veteran Member Four Rings Howard Hughes's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    1.8T Revo3 Q-Tip

If you are at drag strip you want it OFF... On a track... I would leave it ON....
    789whp

Veteran Member Four Rings Daddy MO's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    e30 * K5 Blazer * Xterra

ESP saves lives...

Off during any kind of racing wether it be drag, track, or autocross.

I had it on on accident ontime and ran 4 secs slower during an autocross.

Operation
    ESC compares the driver's intended direction in steering and braking inputs, to the vehicle's response, via lateral acceleration, rotation (yaw) and individual wheel speeds. ESC then brakes individual front or rear wheels and/or reduces excess engine power as needed to help correct understeer (plowing) or oversteer (fishtailing). ESC also integrates all-speed traction control, which senses drive-wheel slip under acceleration and individually brakes the slipping wheel or wheels, and/or reduces excess engine power, until control is regained. ESC cannot override a car's physical limits. If a driver pushes the possibilities of the car's chassis and ESC too far, ESC cannot prevent a crash. It is a tool to help the driver maintain control.

ESC combines anti-lock brakes, traction control and yaw control (yaw is spin around a vertical axis).

[edit] Effectiveness
    Numerous international studies have confirmed the effectiveness of ESC in helping the driver maintain control of the car, help save lives and reduce the severity of crashes. In the fall of 2004 in the U.S., the National Highway and Traffic Safety Administration confirmed the international studies, releasing results of a field study in the U.S. of ESC effectiveness. NHTSA concluded that ESC reduces crashes by 35%. The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) later issued their own study that concluded the widespread application of ESC could save 7,000 lives a year. In June 2006, the IIHS updated the results of their 2004 study by stating that up to 10,000 fatal crashes could be avoided annually if all vehicles were equipped with ESC.[1] That makes ESC the greatest safety equipment development since seat belts, according to some experts. The European New Car Assessment Program (EuroNCAP) "strongly recommends" that people buy cars fitted with stability control [2]. On November 21, 2006 the IIHS announced that 13 of the 2007 vehicles had earned their TOP SAFETY PICK rating--- a major new requirement for this top rating is that the vehicle must be equipped with ESC[3] However, some people contend (backed up by the theory of risk compensation) that the perception of safety conferred by the ESC will encourage more dangerous driving, as seems to be the case with seat belts. Among those concerned that ESC is just the latest example of a long and ultimately unsuccessful campaign, in the U.S. and abroad, to make cars that are capable of compensating for dangerous driving behaviour is the Partnership for Safe Driving www.crashprevention.org. The Partnership believes that if no corresponding effort is made to deter speeding, aggressive, distracted and drowsy driving, this technology will not live up to its promise and may, in fact, encourage even more dangerous driving behaviour.

[edit] Criticism
    Some driving enthusiasts, most publicly motoring journalists from enthusiast magazines, object to some of the implementations of ESC. They contend that by making it impossible to explore the dynamic behaviour of their cars, overzealous ESC systems spoil much of the fun of driving. Consequently, some manufacturers allow drivers to disable ESC systems, and/or use ESP systems that allow greater levels of under or oversteer before it intervenes. Some even provide a setting so the user can choose whether the system will intervene earlier or later stage. Enthusiasts have also begun to modify ESC systems to suit their preferred driving styles [4].

It has also been argued that ESC is being used as a "catch all" for poorly designed cars, whereby the basic mechanical handling of a car is unstable and ESC is used to compensate for the problem, like in the first version of Mercedes-Benz A-Class that failed the moose test and to fix this, every A-Class was retrofitted with ESC.

Another point of critique is that in the case of very dangerous drivers, the car will be able to be pushed further (and faster) before the limits of the vehicle and ESC are reached, meaning that should the vehicle become "out of control" this will happen at higher speeds, leading to more severe crashes.

In the event that the vehicle is out of alignment or has a tire with low enough air pressure to affect the steering wheel's angle, the yaw rate sensor would conflict with the steering wheel sensor. If this were the case, the vehicle's Powertrain Controle Module may interpret the driver's actions as trying to turn the vehicle, rather than compensation for a mechanical problem. However, ECU programmers are familiar with this type of issue, and use cross-correlation between sensors to identify problems.[citation needed]
    Last edited by Daddy MO; 02-22-2007 at 06:49 PM.

Thanks to: Lubrify.com / TOMAS Sport Tuning / BRRacing / Craftwerx Concepts / I/O Port Racing Supplies / AGUND1S Tire

Veteran Member Four Rings MikTip's Avatar
    AZ Member #

[QUOTE=the question of the day is...Would the lights on the dash still come on with the ESP off on HPA400A4's car?[/QUOTE]

To answer your question, yes.

Why? If you manually turn ESP "off", the light on the dash will remain on, indicating the ESP is off.

If ESP is on, anytime it activates, the light will illuminate, as long as its correcting, then go off.

For straight-line racing ESP will probably not activate.

If street racing through the twisties, it will probably activate.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B6 A4 TQM GTRS

eh think we are talking about the wrong lights. Not the ESC. Coz' sometimes my car goes into a haywire mode where the computer would prompt to STOP and every other light is flashing in my car but the car drives fine. hahahah

think norcatalyst126 knows what lights i'm talking about. Will try post up pics of the lights.

AZ Member #

Sounds like something electrical is wrong with your car.

Quote Originally Posted by wzmivan View Post
    eh think we are talking about the wrong lights. Not the ESC. Coz' sometimes my car goes into a haywire mode where the computer would prompt to STOP and every other light is flashing in my car but the car drives fine. hahahah

think norcatalyst126 knows what lights i'm talking about. Will try post up pics of the lights.

Veteran Member Four Rings norcatalyst126's Avatar
    AZ Member #

If I have ESP on (no ! light on) and i'm pushing the car really really hard on a turn (freeway on & off ramps) my light will flash at me until the cars gets straightened out....
    need rotors?...adam's rotors

AZ Member #

Thats ESP working 100% normal.

See Daddy MO's post above ^^^

Quote Originally Posted by norcatalyst126 View Post
    If I have ESP on (no ! light on) and i'm pushing the car really really hard on a turn (freeway on & off ramps) my light will flash at me until the cars gets straightened out....

Veteran Member Four Rings A4 TSCHUSS's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    E55 AMG, CTS-V

ESP is always on unless you hit the ESP button and light up the yellow triangle permanently on the dash. When ESP is working it will flash the triangle.

ESP WILL come on if you try to launch your car in a straight line even with Quattro and cause the car to jerk and fall on its face because it is going to cut your throttle (kill the power) for a brief second (triangle will flash).

To do a donut you will need to turn the ESP off by pushing the button causing the triangle to stay on or it will immediately kill power when it feels the SLIGHTEST slip.

And a donut video of me with ESP off... O yeah and a little extra power

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBHXiwe_WiM
    ~David~

Gone but not forgotten 437whp on 93 octane and washer fluid injection A4 12.2 best ET, 12.3@119 best overall
    480whp/500wtq E55 AMG 11.6@120
    CTS-V 9.6@148

Registered Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2003 audi a4 quattro, 2000 ford focus turbo

turn the ESP off if you want good acceleration, you might slip (usually the front wheels break traction) but it wont cut power with ESP OFF (triangle permanently lit). i turn it off almost every time i get in because i dont want it to interfere when driving. im only APR stg 1 and i can get the ESP to cut power with a good 1-2 shift. the only time i make sure the esp is on is when the weather calls for it.

ESP saves bad drivers from hurting themselves.
    2003 A4 quattro, black/grey, 19in. ADR m-classic, tein c/o, ghl exhaust, carbonio V2, jl mids, subs and amps
    2000 Ford Focus turbo, 460hp crazy egg

Registered User Four Rings winston@podi.ca's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Pods, gauges and more pods

Trying to do a donut in the snow with ESP on was hard.

With ESP off it was a peice of cake.

I was really amazed at how much power that little button has in maintaining control of your car.

Veteran Member Four Rings F16HTON's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    992 Carrera

For me

ESP on...14.70
    ESP off...12.85

You make the call

Veteran Member Four Rings SlvrB6Turbo's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2002 A4 1.8TQM (Sold)

Quote Originally Posted by 400HPA4 View Post
    For me

ESP on...14.70
    ESP off...12.85

You make the call

Wow... I didin't think it would make that big of a difference. That's amazing.
    |2002 A4 1.8T|Quattro|Manual|Light Silver Metallic|Ebony|Debadged|Sport|Premium|Convenience| Sunroof|Bose|Xenon|Cold|Podi Boost Gauge|Autovation Pedal Set|REVO Stage 1 Flash|REVO SPS-3|Forge 007 DV|SouthBend OFE SS Clutch|17" Mille Miglia Wheels|OEM Aero Wipers|OEM Rubber Mats|Dension IceLink+|99.9K Miles|SOLD|

Veteran Member Four Rings CO AVANT's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '03 B6 Avant, '15 B8 A4, '14 S8, '15 Duramax

I hate esp. Hit a mountain back in '04 because of that shit. Doing some spirited driving in the mountains and came around a hair pin corner. Little did I know that there was pea gravel all over the road. It was too late to slow down so I mash it to try and drive out of it and get her sideways. Too bad since esp was on that absolutely NO power went to any of the wheels since none truely had traction in the computers mind. Since then I never drive with it on during spirited driving and I've never had a problem driving out of stuff when I've been in the same situations like I had been in back in '04. I also never drag with it on.

Veteran Member Four Rings Audi Skate Snow's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    C300 Sport and tools

I read the title of this thread and asked myself

"is this a serious question?"

we have all seen what happens when you leave it on and you try launching your car.

FALLS ON ITS FACE!
    BetaAlphaTau member #1.5
    R.I.P B6 A4!!!!!! 12/03/2005 12.63@108... stock 1.8 motor W/ GTRS.
    B6 A4 Avant, 2.0 Liter, 3071, Maestro

Veteran Member Four Rings Tgr_Clw's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2003 Audi A4 1.8TQM

I can break all four tires loose

Quote Originally Posted by Papachristou View Post
    ESP also works with the ABS system and if 400HP had it on it would have been hitting the brakes trying to stop the slide. i ebraked at about 90 on our runway and it controlled the slide very easily without much effort i did it again with ESP off and it was almost impossible to keep from losing it.. then i went and got my new set of tires lol!

and not many 1.8t's need to worry about turning it off during a drag race unless you are Front wheel drive... i dont think many of us have the power to break all four loose at the start! well at least i dont lol!
    Appearance: OEM+
    Interior: B6 S4 Recaro Seats
    Performance: MTM Stage 3 / Milltek Exhaust+Milltek HFC / JJ TIP / ASP FMIC / SB FE SS
    Suspension: Vogtland Coilovers / HSport S4 Sways
    Braking: Stoptech 332 BBK
    Wheels/Tires: BBS CH 18x8.5, ET35 / GY Eagle F1 GSD3 235/40/18

Veteran Member Four Rings DenverNoob's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Other Peoples' Cars

Quote Originally Posted by CO AVANT View Post
    I hate esp. Hit a mountain back in '04 because of that shit. Doing some spirited driving in the mountains and came around a hair pin corner. Little did I know that there was pea gravel all over the road. It was too late to slow down so I mash it to try and drive out of it and get her sideways. Too bad since esp was on that absolutely NO power went to any of the wheels since none truely had traction in the computers mind. Since then I never drive with it on during spirited driving and I've never had a problem driving out of stuff when I've been in the same situations like I had been in back in '04. I also never drag with it on.
    i pretty much only drive with ESP on when we have icey roads here in CO. in regular snow, wet, or dry pavement, i have found myself better able to control the car with it off. My rear brakes actually had to be replaced as a result of ESP intervention via the factory waranty because i drove like a bat out of hell when i was 1+ around onramps and the like...the rear brakes went to metal on metal on the inside, while some pad was left on the outside (the dealership was kind enough to cover pads under waranty, i had to buy new rotors).

I can feel it kick in when going through straight line acceleration even if my wheels arent spinning...there is a notable power deficit under spirited driving conditions...so when i need the power, its off.
    USP CLUB MEMBER #26
    2019 SQ5 Prestige - Bone Stock

2004.5 QMT6 Ultrasport Loaded (retired)

Registered Member Two Rings audi rick's Avatar
    AZ Member #

all this talk about it. how do you turn it off dont have a switch that i know about on mine.
    2000 audi a4 quattro 1.8t, gt28rs eliminator kit ,3 inch turbo inlet,ecs big brakes up front, zimmerman cross driled rotors in the rear,apr vent mounted boost guage,tt exhaust ,550 rc injectors,, spp fmic, h7 hid conversion, atp mani and test pipe.
    mobie audio video and navagation system, still adding to the list.

Veteran Member Four Rings Tgr_Clw's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2003 Audi A4 1.8TQM

Pull the ABS fuse. That'll turn it off completely.
    Appearance: OEM+
    Interior: B6 S4 Recaro Seats
    Performance: MTM Stage 3 / Milltek Exhaust+Milltek HFC / JJ TIP / ASP FMIC / SB FE SS
    Suspension: Vogtland Coilovers / HSport S4 Sways
    Braking: Stoptech 332 BBK
    Wheels/Tires: BBS CH 18x8.5, ET35 / GY Eagle F1 GSD3 235/40/18

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by audi rick View Post
    all this talk about it. how do you turn it off dont have a switch that i know about on mine.
    Do B5 A4's even have ESP? I didn't think so. At least for the 1.8T and 2.8's

Veteran Member Four Rings Howard Hughes's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    1.8T Revo3 Q-Tip

^I think they have ESP... you just can't turn it off like in our cars...
    789whp

Veteran Member Four Rings SleeperAvant's Avatar
    AZ Member #

^rofl your sig
    – Steve

2021 Tesla Model Y
    2020 Tesla Model 3
    2014 Dodge Grand Caravan
    Gone - 2005 A4 Avant 1.8T Quattro 6MT

Veteran Member Four Rings Daddy MO's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    e30 * K5 Blazer * Xterra

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Hughes View Post
    ^I think they have ESP... you just can't turn it off like in our cars...
    I concur...

Thanks to: Lubrify.com / TOMAS Sport Tuning / BRRacing / Craftwerx Concepts / I/O Port Racing Supplies / AGUND1S Tire

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Searching on AZ B5 forums shows that pre 2000 A4's an older do not have esp. 2000-2001's were an option..

Early '96 and up have EDL (Electronic Differential Lock)

AZ Member #

i do have esp on my 2000.
    2000 audi a4 quattro 1.8t, gt28rs eliminator kit ,3 inch turbo inlet,ecs big brakes up front, zimmerman cross driled rotors in the rear,apr vent mounted boost guage,tt exhaust ,550 rc injectors,, spp fmic, h7 hid conversion, atp mani and test pipe.

Veteran Member Four Rings initiala4's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I turn mine off when I goto the track!
    2019 B9 RS4 - O.CT Tuning Stage 1 | Wagner Intercooler / Radiator | Turbo inlet pipe | Ohlins R&T DFV | 034 Motorsports Dynamic + Sway bars | 034 Motorsports Transmission mount | Ignition Projects Coilpacks | HHC Rear rotor upgrade 370mm + Endless MX72 brake pads

Formerly - 2003 Audi B6 A4 1.8T QM, 2013 VW Passat Variant 2.0 TSI

AZ Member #

just pull the fuse? i believe mine is a b5. pritty sure i dont have a on off switch.

Veteran Member Three Rings Rico750's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B7 S4| 07' R1 | 08' R6 | 09 X6 |

i pulled the abs fuse and the car went if and does not start till it has the fuse back in.. thats a bummer.. not no wheel spinning goed on my nerves sometimes.. also when you gear up fast it kinda falls on its face... booooring..

2004 S4 | 18" RS6 rep Rims | Valentine 1 | BOSE + Blaupunkt sound | K&N | H&R sport 1.2" lowering | KONI | 30% tint | FI down-pipes | FI catback 2.5" | JHM tune |

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Tools

Quote Originally Posted by Rico750 View Post
    i pulled the abs fuse and the car went if and does not start till it has the fuse back in.. thats a bummer.. not no wheel spinning goed on my nerves sometimes.. also when you gear up fast it kinda falls on its face... booooring..
    You thought disabling ESP was going to solve your problems? LOL

I'm not sure you know this or not, but if you have a stock A4 (or even a 1 or 1+) and quattro, don't plan on spinning the tires. You'll more likely blow your transmission before it spins the wheels (especially if you have sticky tires).

And, it's going to fall on its face if it has a K03 (stock turbo). Even the K04 has a small spot up top where it's not charging hard.

P.S. Fix your 1337 (l33t, 31337), it's as broken as my Spanish.

<Tone = informative>
    Doss --------- ESP & SM SCCA racer
    '95 Mustang Cobra hardtop 'vert ---- Modified 6.4 F250 ---- '13 Audi allroad

Originally posted by remembertofocus
    its just that you seem to constantly come off as an ass... maybe try putting it in your sig

Me
    "Without failure, there is no progress. " "Taking the first step wrong may be the best thing you ever did."