PDA

View Full Version : 3 yrs and still loving my 8

ECSPGH
09-17-2006, 06:08 PM
I just wanted to share. Ive had my 2000 A8L for three years now and I am still happy about this car. Of course the pains and frustrations she has caused me over these years have made her difficult at times to love. But all in all I couldnt be more content with my car. I just cracked the 110k mile mark and shes still running strong.

Horch
09-17-2006, 08:43 PM
Congrats! She is worth it.

ECSPGH
09-18-2006, 03:25 AM
I think once I can get a W12, she will become my project car. She already has Bilsteins and Eibachs. I think the overall goal is to have a RS6 engined, 6-speed manual trannied A8. I would love to see an A8L do a 4 wheel burnout in a season other than winter.

Moe Boost
10-16-2006, 12:48 AM
My family keeps growin'. Been looking at some A8's....any advice on which year is a best choice? My experience with a friends seems like the occasional oil leaks in the engine and tranny.I am hoping to find a 2001-03 in my price range.

ECSPGH
10-16-2006, 07:39 AM
The newer, the better. A good reference site is Audipages.com as well as the A8 board on Audiworld.com.
The oil leaks are few and far between, because some people have never had them and some of us always have them.
The transmission is the primary concern on a used A8, if you test drive one make sure you get to put it through its paces when its cold, look for it to hunt or thump while driving. Service records are crucial, so if the car doesnt have them you dont want it.
Tie-rod ends can be a problem and also the Thermostat. If you can find an enthusiast who really maintained the car than it really doesnt matter how many miles are on it. For example, my car is a 2000 LWB, she currently has 115,500 miles on her and KBB has her selling for between $12k- $16k. The problem with this is I know shes worth $16k-$18k due to the preventative work Ive put into her and the condition and functionality of everything on her is perfect. So in dealing with an enthusiast you will likely pay as much for the car than if you were to get one from a dealer with questionable condition. Good luck, they're wonderful cars.