PDA

View Full Version : How are RNS-E units obtained?

fayo
03-31-2006, 10:48 AM
I'm sorry if this is a dumb question but i'm wondering how these units are getting purchased from sellers on this forum? I just called a local Audi Dealer and talked to the parts department here and they said they can't order the navigation units separtly and they would have to come with the car when you purchase them. So i'm guessing all the installs that people are doing themselves are imported Navis from Germany? How does this work? Also what's vag-com stand for? I've been seeing that alot also. Sorry for all the questions. Trying to see how this all works since it's all new to me and am looking to get the Audi navigation in my car.

CO AVANT
03-31-2006, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by fayo
I'm sorry if this is a dumb question but i'm wondering how these units are getting purchased from sellers on this forum? I just called a local Audi Dealer and talked to the parts department here and they said they can't order the navigation units separtly and they would have to come with the car when you purchase them. So i'm guessing all the installs that people are doing themselves are imported Navis from Germany? How does this work? Also what's vag-com stand for? I've been seeing that alot also. Sorry for all the questions. Trying to see how this all works since it's all new to me and am looking to get the Audi navigation in my car.

The search function will never let you down [;)]

Yes, indeed these are units coming in from Germany. The "E" on the end of RNS-E stands for european unit. So all RNS-E's are actually european versions of the nav. People that sell them for use in the US update the unit with different firmware and use a US DVD map instead of a european one. German Driver (Scott) at Rival Motorsports is the man when it comes to the RNS-E. That's who I bought mine from. He is very reliable and sells these units for a damn good price.

Vag-com is a diagnostics tool you hook up to read what's going on with your car. You can use it to check for fault codes and clear them. Can log your car with it to look at many different things while the car is moving, from boost, timing retard, IAT, Maf readings, etc. There are also certain things you can recode your car to with the vag......like rolling up/down windows with the remote for example.

fayo
03-31-2006, 01:31 PM
Ahh, so that's why AUDI dealers here don't have these units. Thanks! That helped alot! Where can a vag-com be purchased from? Since it seems like you need it after the Navi install? Are those expensive?

CO AVANT
03-31-2006, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by fayo
Ahh, so that's why AUDI dealers here don't have these units. Thanks! That helped alot! Where can a vag-com be purchased from? Since it seems like you need it after the Navi install? Are those expensive?

You can get a whole kit from www.ross-tech.com ~$250-300

Or go to www.obdtool.com and get the cords from them & buy full version software from ross-tech for $99.

I have obdtool cords and ross-tech software. If I were to do it again I'd just get the cords and software from Ross-tech. They are of much better quality and don't have any hiccups like 3rd party cords can have.

You need to use a vag to recode for the RNS-E after install.

German Driver
04-02-2006, 08:57 AM
Thanks for the plug Jordan, I do indeed sell RNS-E navigation units and all of the peripherals that you would like to add on. I also have about a half dozen ProDiag licenses to sell which I will let go a lot less than retail. Comes with Palm Pilot and everything.

If you are interested in picking up a package send jared@rivalmotorsport.com an email. I am actually out of the country (I know, I know, 2nd time this month) so Jared is best person to get fast answers from. Feel free to fire away questions to any of us if you are curious about compatability issues.

mercury26
09-15-2006, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by CO AVANT
The search function will never let you down [;)]

Yes, indeed these are units coming in from Germany. The "E" on the end of RNS-E stands for european unit. So all RNS-E's are actually european versions of the nav.

Actuallu, the "E" part of RNS-E does not stand for European unit. The E designates the version of the RNS, as their are older units called RNS-D for instance. Also, I have a US version of the RNS-E that I purchased from Steve Diamond (bmwz1@earthlink.net). It was a brand new unit that still had the factory protective shield on the front. Now their is a European unit, you can tell my the SD/CD button as it is called TV/CD on the Euro units.

Cheers,

:: Chuck