PDA

View Full Version : Info on the 4.2L TDI A8 overseas???

Jer
10-16-2005, 12:01 PM
For starters... does it use the same tranny as the A6 4.2L?

I'm interested in doing an engine swap in my 4.2L A6 for this bad boy. I would need to swap over the engine harness and ECU but hope that the tranny/tranny comp is the same as it would help. Also wondering what else would need to be modified to make this happen.

Would also need to source an engine/exhaust/intake/turbos and possibly fab up some motormounts and what not.

At this point.. just trying to research and see what all would need to be done. I realize that anything can be done for a price but am trying to see what kind of a price tag or how much effort this idea would require.

Thanks for any help.

Liam@TheGallery
10-16-2005, 04:37 PM
No the transmission is not the same. The A8 4.2 TDi uses the ZF 6HP-26A61-O9L. It is a unique design and is 4" shorter than the ZF 5HP in your C5 A6. Also the electronics are not compatible as they use a CAN interface vs. the KWP interface in your car. Even if you wanted to fork out the dough to try it, youre looking at >$50k to do so.

Jer
10-16-2005, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by AtlasD3Miami
No the transmission is not the same. The A8 4.2 TDi uses the ZF 6HP-26A61-O9L. It is a unique design and is 4" shorter than the ZF 5HP in your C5 A6. Also the electronics are not compatible as they use a CAN interface vs. the KWP interface in your car. Even if you wanted to fork out the dough to try it, youre looking at >$50k to do so.

I see.

I doubt it would be THAT expensive. I think it would be expensive but if I can find one that's been rolled extensively or something to the affect of the exterior just being mangled... I should be able to salvage all of the drivetrain and electronics from it pretty cheap.

I dunno... I have enough projects going I should just wait until I can buy an A8 used much cheaper in a few years. Don't know if I have the patience though. I'm gonna buy a turbo diesel truck and go home-brew Bio diesel and was hoping to get a nice highway cruiser to run the same fuel with. Don't think I can handle anything else out there that runs diesel now that I'm used to this A6... such a nice ride.

It was just a thought I had and if the tranny was the same then it would be an easier project. Guess my eyes were bigger than... whatever it is that makes us decide to mod cars. [:D]

Thanks for the input man. [az]