PDA

View Full Version : Transmission Update

Skywagon
10-22-2015, 06:10 AM
My dealer did a transmission update yesterday in my RS5. "SVM update to Trans control unit". "TSB2039267/1". Only drove it a few miles but it seems better? Tech told me higher pressures are being used in the transmission.

S4V8
10-22-2015, 06:48 AM
What specifically are you noticing a difference in? Smoother overall? Smoother on accel only, decel?

My car is going in for the 25K km service and requires the DSG MTF fluid to be changed. Wonder if I will get the update as well?

jkownz
10-22-2015, 06:55 AM
Hmmm, interested in knowing what the differences are.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Skywagon
10-22-2015, 07:02 AM
I have to drive it more to write any intelligent impressions. The tech did mention there will be harder downshifts while De-accelerating from high speeds. Please give me a few days.

audirs5guy
10-22-2015, 03:40 PM
Which year?

Skywagon
10-23-2015, 05:59 AM
Which year?

Skywagon
10-24-2015, 08:15 AM
Car was in shop most of yesterday, new tires. Still haven't had any real chance to drive it except it seems like the car down shifts with less throttle angle. Will know more today.

Beast
10-24-2015, 09:07 AM
when did this update come out?

Skywagon
10-24-2015, 11:09 AM
when did this update come out?

To be honest, I don't know. I've owned the car since April this year. Just drove the car some more and besides what I mentioned don't feel any real differences. besides what is mentioned. Was in city, could not get on it.

Beast
10-24-2015, 11:34 AM
To be honest, I don't know. I've owned the car since April this year. Just drove the car some more and besides what I mentioned don't feel any real differences. besides what is mentioned. Was in city, could not get on it.

haha same with me, just wondering since i went in for the first oil change in Aug maybe I have the new update.

Jimmy ny
10-26-2015, 03:32 AM
Does this update make the shift smoother in S mode? Downshifts are way to rough in S mode right now. How long did it take?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skywagon
10-26-2015, 06:43 AM
Does this update make the shift smoother in S mode? Downshifts are way to rough in S mode right now. How long did it take?

As I wrote, down shifts seem (?) to come with less throttle angle and seem smoother. Conversely while in manual, 50% throttle, upshifts seem slower after paddle or shift lever movement. I've yet to get it on the highway. Don't know how long it took to do because car was in for full service. If you have it then it would be on your invoice.

Jimmy ny
10-26-2015, 07:08 AM
Ok. So the car doesn't jerk downshift so hard when in S mode.

Skywagon
10-26-2015, 07:14 AM
Ok. So the car doesn't jerk downshift so hard when in S mode.

Yes sir, that is one of my impressions.....if it's correct?

Jimmy ny
10-26-2015, 07:17 AM
Great. Thank you for info!!

Skywagon
10-31-2015, 11:22 AM
I'm uncertain if the transmission is adapting or simply responding to throttle angle but the farther the gas pedal is pushed the quicker the up-shifts in manual using the paddles or shift lever?

Jimmy ny
11-01-2015, 04:48 AM
How about in S mode, no manual mode. Smoother downshifts?

Skywagon
11-01-2015, 04:59 AM
How about in S mode, no manual mode. Smoother downshifts?

They seem smoother and quicker with less throttle angle causing the down shift. Going on an extensive drive today. should no more soon.

Skywagon
11-02-2015, 04:57 AM
Drove car 350 miles yesterday, all highway. Seems as if my impression is correct, smoother quicker down shifts in Sport. Still had one hard down shift. Please consider this is just opinion, wishful thinking?

superswiss
01-06-2016, 02:20 PM
Quick update here. Just got this TSB done on mine. Was inquiring about another TSB that supposedly addresses the bump that can be felt at times when coming to a stop, but SA said that TSB doesn't apply, however the one in this thread did. It updates the TCU software to level 11. Mine was at level 8, so three levels behind. I have to take the car through its paces and for a canyon run once the weather dries up, but so far the bump is gone and as OP reports the unnecessary roughness on low rpm downshifts at least is gone, too. The transmission feels a lot smoother when just casually driving around. A welcome change. I'm a big fan of the bang-bang shifts in the RS5 when driving it hard, but some of the roughness around the edges when just moderately driving it around got a little old lately. This update seems to at least correct some of that. I've driven it on the highway and around town so far, but haven't tried the auto sport mode, however I had it in manual sport mode just to make sure the update didn't change any of the parts I liked about the transmission. It still seems to be as fast and crisp as ever and snaps in the gears, but definitely seems to have smoothed out the unnecessarily rough parts. I had an S4 with S-tronic as a loaner and boy did I not realize just how much better the DSG in the RS5 is. Hadn't driven an S for about 3 years and didn't recall the differences to be this significant. Anyway, seems to be an update worth doing before the warranty runs out. I just wish Audi and others would start adopting Tesla's model and push out software updates like this to the car automatically, so we don't have to first complain or read about an update from somebody posting on a forum.

dazed1
01-06-2016, 02:52 PM
Quick update here. Just got this TSB done on mine. Was inquiring about another TSB that supposedly addresses the bump that can be felt at times when coming to a stop, but SA said that TSB doesn't apply, however the one in this thread did. It updates the TCU software to level 11. Mine was at level 8, so three levels behind. I have to take the car through its paces and for a canyon run once the weather dries up, but so far the bump is gone and as OP reports the unnecessary roughness on low rpm downshifts at least is gone, too. The transmission feels a lot smoother when just casually driving around. A welcome change. I'm a big fan of the bang-bang shifts in the RS5 when driving it hard, but some of the roughness around the edges when just moderately driving it around got a little old lately. This update seems to at least correct some of that. I've driven it on the highway and around town so far, but haven't tried the auto sport mode, however I had it in manual sport mode just to make sure the update didn't change any of the parts I liked about the transmission. It still seems to be as fast and crisp as ever and snaps in the gears, but definitely seems to have smoothed out the unnecessarily rough parts. I had an S4 with S-tronic as a loaner and boy did I not realize just how much better the DSG in the RS5 is. Hadn't driven an S for about 3 years and didn't recall the differences to be this significant. Anyway, seems to be an update worth doing before the warranty runs out. I just wish Audi and others would start adopting Tesla's model and push out software updates like this to the car automatically, so we don't have to first complain or read about an update from somebody posting on a forum.

At concord audi? They didnt have any TSB when I took the car in in september.

superswiss
01-06-2016, 02:53 PM
At concord audi? They didnt have any TSB when I took the car in in september.

Yep, Audi Concord.

superswiss
01-06-2016, 02:57 PM
Here's what it says on my invoice if that helps.

http://i.imgur.com/sPXkIcF.jpg

Jimmy ny
01-06-2016, 03:51 PM
Does it cure the rough downshifts in S Auto?

superswiss
01-06-2016, 04:30 PM

Don't know yet. I don't use S Auto very often. Mostly for passing on two lane highways to avoid running into the rev limiter by accident. If I wanna keep the car on the boil, I use S manual mostly.

dazed1
01-06-2016, 05:48 PM
Here's what it says on my invoice if that helps.

http://i.imgur.com/sPXkIcF.jpg

Thanks! I'll schedule something in a few weeks. I might be dropping by stevens creek for a track alignment, so might just get it done then.

superswiss
01-06-2016, 07:06 PM

Ok, so I just went for a mixed highway and around town drive in S Auto and yes the rough downshifts are history as far as I can tell. You can now actually relatively comfortably drive around in S Auto if you are so inclined. It doesn't seem to unnecessarily wind out the gears if you just give it moderate throttle and the downshifts are not rough as you are coming to a stop. There is still the unavoidable interruption in engine braking during the downshift, so the transition from engine braking to no engine braking back to engine braking is still somewhat of an unpleasant transition if you are only moderately applying the brakes. I don't think I will use S Auto anymore than I did in the past. If I'm just moderately slowing down to a stop, I don't really want it to aggressively keep the engine at 3000-3500 rpm until 2nd gear. In those cases I prefer to manually control my downshifts and properly time them with brake application, so I'll continue to use mostly S manual, but it's nice to know that S Auto is more usable now.

Brava
01-07-2016, 12:21 PM
I really like the rough downshift in auto S mode. It's good to scare off my friends when I take them for a ride. [:D]

I can use manual S mode if I want to avoid the rough downshift.

Jimmy ny
01-07-2016, 12:55 PM
Yes it does give the car character. I did hear that with the update it makes S mode feel very close to reg D mode.

superswiss
01-07-2016, 03:35 PM
Yes it does give the car character. I did hear that with the update it makes S mode feel very close to reg D mode.

No, not even close. It still maintains the aggressive character of the S mode. You still get some of the jolts due to interruption of engine braking as I mentioned above. It still very aggressively downshifts and keeps the engine north of 3000 rpm, whereas D hangs in the higher gear as long as possible before downshifting. Still completely different character between S Auto and D Auto.