PDA

View Full Version : Carbon build up....signs

queenmoka
05-09-2015, 10:02 AM
Hi everyone,

I have a 2011 S5 and I read all those threads about carbon build up for the FSI engine....mine has 42 000 miles, how do you recognize that its time for a clean up ....And/or is it already overdue?

Last, anybody could recommend local contact in Houston that could do it for less that the dealership.....
Recommendations well appreciated.

jkownz
05-09-2015, 10:36 AM
My old a4 did it at 50k. But yes your getting at that point. It's hard to recognize, but when you do the real peanut blasting or removing everything and hand clean them all, you will notice a huge difference in performance.

queenmoka
05-09-2015, 11:11 AM
My old a4 did it at 50k. But yes your getting at that point. It's hard to recognize, but when you do the real peanut blasting or removing everything and hand clean them all, you will notice a huge difference in performance.
yeah i might have to go that path....

djthart
05-13-2015, 06:01 PM
Hi everyone,

I have a 2011 S5 and I read all those threads about carbon build up for the FSI engine....mine has 42 000 miles, how do you recognize that its time for a clean up ....And/or is it already overdue?

Last, anybody could recommend local contact in Houston that could do it for less that the dealership.....

a local shop in houston you can try is bar tuning talk to Mike the owner. Another place in houston that does walnut blasting is little shop of motors they mainly work on bmw but he said he can do audi also. But I would go to Mike at bartuning tell him Tyrus sent you, he's a super nice guy and knows audi like the back of his hand

queenmoka
05-14-2015, 08:39 AM
a local shop in houston you can try is bar tuning talk to Mike the owner. Another place in houston that does walnut blasting is little shop of motors they mainly work on bmw but he said he can do audi also. But I would go to Mike at bartuning tell him Tyrus sent you, he's a super nice guy and knows audi like the back of his hand
Thanks for the infos.

LiLS
05-15-2015, 05:37 AM
how much does this usually run?

Diamond Dog
05-15-2015, 07:17 AM
how much does this usually run?

The quotes at independent shops in S. Cal for the V8 have all been around $1000

jhruzek
05-29-2015, 09:04 PM
I get my S4 taken care of by RaUdel at Reisu Motorsports. He is behind Demaris BBQ on Shepherd. 281-999-0500

15DGR V6
06-28-2015, 08:35 PM
Hi everyone,

When the engine is at cold start high idle and the auxiliary air pump shuts off (idle remains the same RPM but tone of exhaust quiets) you will start noticing slight misfires (rough idle). It will progressively get worse until it starts throwing CEL's. Cleaning is definitely in order at 50-60k miles.

My 2009 S5 didn't start throwing CEL's until right around 100,000 miles and the carbon build up was bad. Carbon was blocking the intake path completely on the upper side of the intake port flaps.

Mr. Spectacular
06-30-2015, 09:35 PM
I'll 2nd Raudel at Reisu. He did my cleaning and did a solid job. There's pics around here on the forum somewhere. A search of 2010 s5 carbon should pull it up.

LINDW4LL
06-30-2015, 09:38 PM
Hi everyone,

Generally it is just a modest loss of power over time.

Once it gets really bad you can have misfires or rough idle.

LiLS
07-01-2015, 04:48 AM
Generally it is just a modest loss of power over time.

Once it gets really bad you can have misfires or rough idle.

when i start my car it is kinda rough and shakes....im guessing its the signs of carbon build up

SeattleGrey
07-02-2015, 01:55 PM
I live in the city and drive an RS5. Every 5K I make sure to get out of town and find a country highway where I can run 100-130 for awhile. The car comes back to town and just feels like it had a tune up. I'm sticking with this methodology...