PDA

View Full Version : RS5 Engine & Brake Problem

the duke
04-02-2015, 01:58 PM
First Issue:

"DO NOT EXCEED ENGINE SPEED OF 6000rpm"

So I've been noticing how my RS5 keeps showing me this message whenever I do some spirited driving. Are these cars not supposed to be driven hard? It's an RS5. I feel I should be able to shift at 8250 if I so please. This message keeps popping up any time the engine temp reaches above 240F. Anybody know what could be wrong?

Second Issue:

My Audi dealer replaced my brakes(rotors and pads) at 11k miles due to them becoming faulty at a premature age. The car would shake severely upon braking. My guess warped rotors. And they were warped. Now it happens again. Went back to my dealer after only 5k miles of using the replacements and they told me they can't replace it for me again. So am I expected to purchase new rotors and pads every 5k miles? I am considering going with the OEM carbon ceramic brakes to help alleviate this bs issue. I was wondering if there are any alternatives in terms of rotors/pads that have worked wonders and have eliminated any warped rotor/glazed pad issues.

jkownz
04-02-2015, 06:57 PM
Not sure about the temp issue. As for the second issue, Alot go with ECS Rotors and Hawk HPS pads and have had them last longer and better improvements.

Jimmy ny
04-03-2015, 10:21 AM
Just change the pads. Hawk HPS. The shaking will be gone. OEM pads are shit. Mine were cracked and glazed around 1000 miles.

Beast
04-03-2015, 11:41 AM
The first is just a oil sensor issue, tell them to check it out. Quick fix.

Second- a common prob for the RS, i'd just go ceramics if you can or get HAWK pads etc..

Brava
04-03-2015, 11:44 PM
Same issue with the brake vibration, went with hawks hps and no more problems. Still on the oem rotors.

audi_rs5_
05-11-2015, 05:40 PM
If you replace the pads does it prevent the rotors from going bad at least? I have an RS5 with 9k miles and want to know if should replace them now or just wait for the rotors to go and replace the pads and rotors at once

superswiss
05-11-2015, 06:07 PM
Never seen my oil temp that high, so that seems to be an issue with your specific car. Many regularly track the RS5 successfully w/o being unable to rev it past 6000 rpm.

As for the brakes, there are several threads about it. Still not really sure what's going on with this. At some point it was said that the rotors were getting damaged during shipment to the factory. I never had issues with the OEM brakes and my car has seen the Autobahn and Nurburgring during my Euro Delivery trip and I regularly go canyon carving. Front pads lasted 24k miles, however, I did go aftermarket once they were worn. I'm now on ECS tru-float rotors with Hawk HPS pads in front and Hawk HPS pads in the rear with the original rear rotors.

Here's one of the longer threads about this whole brake situation. If you search, you'll find others.

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/621020-Need-brake-help-for-my-rs5

audi_rs5_
05-11-2015, 06:19 PM
Never seen my oil temp that high, so that seems to be an issue with your specific car. Many regularly track the RS5 successfully w/o being unable to rev it past 6000 rpm.

As for the brakes, there are several threads about it. Still not really sure what's going on with this. At some point it was said that the rotors were getting damaged during shipment to the factory. I never had issues with the OEM brakes and my car has seen the Autobahn and Nurburgring during my Euro Delivery trip and I regularly go canyon carving. Front pads lasted 24k miles, however, I did go aftermarket once they were worn. I'm now on ECS tru-float rotors with Hawk HPS pads in front and Hawk HPS pads in the rear with the original rear rotors.

Here's one of the longer threads about this whole brake situation. If you search, you'll find others.

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/621020-Need-brake-help-for-my-rs5

Could it be that earlier cars are experiencing this brake problems what year is yours? mine is a 2014

superswiss
05-11-2015, 06:32 PM
Could it be that earlier cars are experiencing this brake problems what year is yours? mine is a 2014

Mine is a 2013 (built March 2013). It actually seems to be the opposite and later cars are experiencing these brake problems. This is one reason I went aftermarket, because I didn't want to start experiencing these issues by getting OEM replacement rotors and pads.

audi_rs5_
05-11-2015, 06:41 PM
Mine is a 2013 (built March 2013). It actually seems to be the opposite and later cars are experiencing these brake problems. This is one reason I went aftermarket, because I didn't want to start experiencing these issues by getting OEM replacement rotors and pads.

I have read in another forum post that the oem brake pads have a lower working temperature. This means that when they exceed a higher temperature they cease to function properly. Could this be a reason for this issue. I am scared this will happen to me because my RS5 is my only car. I can't be without a car for more than a day. So if I can find an early fix I am willing to do it.

superswiss
05-11-2015, 07:20 PM
I have read in another forum post that the oem brake pads have a lower working temperature. This means that when they exceed a higher temperature they cease to function properly. Could this be a reason for this issue. I am scared this will happen to me because my RS5 is my only car. I can't be without a car for more than a day. So if I can find an early fix I am willing to do it.

If you are worried, put on a set of Hawk HPS pads and you'll be good. The OEM pads are a compromise between performance, noise and everyday use. They definitely do not hold up well under higher temperatures. The OEM rotors also don't hold up well under high temperatures. For one thing they don't have directionally curved vanes, so one side is cooled less optimally than the other side, however, this is really only an issue if you work the brakes hard. Key to good brake performance is bedding them properly.

http://www.essexparts.com/learning-center/cat/brake-rotors/post/Bed-in

audi_rs5_
05-11-2015, 07:25 PM
If you are worried, put on a set of Hawk HPS pads and you'll be good. The OEM pads are a compromise between performance, noise and everyday use. They definitely do not hold up well under higher temperatures. The OEM rotors also don't hold up well under high temperatures. For one thing they don't have directionally curved vanes, so one side is cooled less optimally than the other side, however, this is really only an issue if you work the brakes hard. Key to good brake performance is bedding them properly.

http://www.essexparts.com/learning-center/cat/brake-rotors/post/Bed-in

Thank you for that... do you know where I can order those brake pads. I have been looking but can't find a the RS5 size?

superswiss
05-11-2015, 08:05 PM
Thank you for that... do you know where I can order those brake pads. I have been looking but can't find a the RS5 size?

http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B8_RS5--4.2L/Braking/Pads/Front/Hawk/

audi_rs5_
05-13-2015, 03:58 PM
I just took my car for a slight vibration on the steering under braking and it turns out my calipers are warped after 9000 miles

Brava
05-14-2015, 09:46 PM
I just took my car for a slight vibration on the steering under braking and it turns out my calipers are warped after 9000 miles

Never heard of warped calipers.

Before spending any big money, try a set of hawks hps and see if it's better. That's what I did.

audi_rs5_
05-14-2015, 09:47 PM
Never heard of warped calipers.

Before spending any big money, try a set of hawks hps and see if it's better. That's what I did.

Meant disc not calipers

the duke
05-21-2015, 02:13 PM
UPDATE: Second Audi dealer saying it's normal wear and tear. But how does that even make sense if they're prematurely warping and pads are getting glazed. Audi is constantly disappointing me with their lack of customer service. On top of the brakes issue(which now I could care less about, since I already got my ceramics), I'm still having problems with the car telling me to stay under 6000rpm. My dealer says "it's normal." But how is it POSSIBLY normal for a car that was meant to be tracked(which I haven't even tracked once), for it start "crying" and telling me to not shift gears above 6000rpm when I've been in comfort mode and not even doing any spirited driving AT ALL?!?!? Dealer did a 20 mile "test drive" in my absence (which was extremely uncomfortable to begin with..). I told them to keep it in dynamic and manual mode. To see what happens. And they told me the notification didn't come up and that I was "abusing my car." They literally wrote that I was abusing it on my service papers when I picked it up. That's absolute GARBAGE because they can run a diagnostic tool and check to see if I beat on the car. And they will find that it hasn't been abused. And it's only been driven within it's performance capabilities. Audi is really disappointing me. They don't believe that the notification is coming up. I've been a loyal customer, but if this continues I'll only be left with 2 options. Trade it in or fix the issues and never go back to a dealership again.

Also the icing on the cake. Bell Audi in Edison curbed my passenger side rear wheel. I pointed that out to them before leaving the dealership. Service manager says "I'll give you a call later today and let you know when to come by and we'll fix it." Never got a phone call. Been a couple months now.

And if that wasn't enough garbage...

Schneider Nelson also recently curbed my front driver side wheel and the service guy admit that it is fresh curb rash since I had the car meticulously detailed prior to dropping it off. Plus their 20 mile test drive.. Still waiting to see what they'll do. My service advisor told me she'd take care of it. Been about 2.5 weeks since she said that, no follow up. Let's see what happens.

I will not be leaving my car in the hands of any dealership anymore since they all seem to like to curb wheels. Luckily, I haven't left my car with them once I put my new ADV1's on...

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can do in regards to the "stay under 6000rpms" issue? I've taken several videos of it occurring while in comfort mode. It's also happened within 10 seconds of a cold start. But that was only once. When I got my ADV1's mounted and balanced, the indy tech said to go to the dealership. Tell them it's happening and isn't stopping. Then tell the tech there to hop in the car, drive them around till it starts happening and hopefully they'd be able to pull up a code of some sort.

superswiss
05-21-2015, 02:55 PM
Bad sensor somewhere. Probably bad oil temp sensor. This message comes on to protect the engine and transmission when it detects that something is too hot or otherwise malfunctioning. Dealer should pull the codes and see what's going on. Not sure why they don't perform this simple diagnostics and instead blame you.

EDIT: Unfortunately, one thing about owning an RS is that not all techs are trained and certified to work on them. Dealers are not supposed to let techs work on them unless they have been trained. I only had positive experiences with my dealer and service department so far. They are one of only 12 dealers in the nation that were distinguished as 2014 Audi Elite Magna Society winners. You have to pick your dealership carefully if you own one of these vehicles.

http://www.audiusa.com/newsroom/news/press-releases/2015/03/audi-honors-91-dealers-with-2014-magna-society-awards

Beast
05-21-2015, 06:56 PM
6000 RPM msg is a faulty oil temp sensor. Quick fix. Get them to put in a new one, even if the error code does not show up in their presence.

chrissurfr
05-21-2015, 08:39 PM
i have the brake problem too. ive had them replaced 3 times now and im at 14k miles. im going to install hawk pads and hope for the best. if no fix...ill get brembo gt rakes. good luck.

shonseb
05-21-2015, 09:12 PM
I recently ran my RS5 through the mountains with lots of twisties, switchbacks, ect. Rpm's gnerally 5k-8k with frequent hard accelerating and engine braking as well. Temps were >250c, the only issue I noticed was what sounded like an extra fan or something that seemed to come on, but was absent once the engine cooled. No warning lights or anything.

Braking was no problem because ceramics. The only downside to ceramics I noticed thus far was during wet driving the initial bite needed a second to dry off but after that worked perfect. There was no brake fade even with repetitive braking, ei, the brakes never heated up hot enough to show any kind of weaknes. Also the cost is a downside, but seeing how much it can cost to replace the stocks with them warpimg so often, I'm glad I went ceramics.

ttusqrl
05-22-2015, 07:07 AM
Wish I had ceramics @shonseb. Maybe I'll do a retrofit when it's time to finally replace. I had planned on looking at the rotors and potentially just throwing on a set of Hawk pads to see how it handles if there is enough runout.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skywagon
05-22-2015, 07:55 AM
FWIW, my dealership/tech advised me they just replaced the rotors on a recently sold RS5, 2015. Not good!

jkownz
05-22-2015, 08:52 AM
Wish I had ceramics @shonseb. Maybe I'll do a retrofit when it's time to finally replace. I had planned on looking at the rotors and potentially just throwing on a set of Hawk pads to see how it handles if there is enough runout.

Wonder what's involved in retrofitting ceramics. Must be $$$

audi_rs5_
05-22-2015, 08:59 AM
Wonder what's involved in retrofitting ceramics. Must be $$$

When I had my brake Issue I asked, and it was $17k to replace the fronts.

shonseb
05-22-2015, 09:21 AM
Yeah apparently its a lot to do them aftermarket, just servicing ceramics after factory install is ~$8k. The entire hub also needs to be replaced when doing the servicing. I heard that proper retrofitting involves changing the servos and maybe ABS unit? Not sure. Little devil had a kit on A5OC to do it. Was thinking about replacing the rears with ceramics, but I have had no issues with the rears so decided against that. Best bet would be to reach out to Cuppa and find out whats involved as he's already done them:

http://www.a5oc.com/forums/build-threads/21768-cuppas-s5-coupe-build.html

littleredwagen
05-22-2015, 09:44 AM
I have OE RS5 brakes on my S4 and I have never run the OE pads, Either street EBC or Track pagids and been fine for 15k and 5 Hpdes so far. Ditch the stock pads

ttusqrl
05-22-2015, 10:58 AM
When I had my brake Issue I asked, and it was $17k to replace the fronts.

If you have the dealership do it, yes. Shon is correct below that there are less expensive options. Key word being less.

Dfw007
05-22-2015, 07:49 PM
If you have the dealership do it, yes. Shon is correct below that there are less expensive options. Key word being less.

TT I have the ECS rotors with hawk hps for street and carbbotech xps for track, they work fine. No warp, no vibration, plenty of track days on them. We should meet up local, you can see the setup, it's worth the $$. The ceramic are nice, but not worth the $$ ECS rotors are $900 and cost $100 to install. I can buy 6-7 sets before I get to the costs of one ceramic set.

ttusqrl
05-22-2015, 10:27 PM
TT I have the ECS rotors with hawk hps for street and carbbotech xps for track, they work fine. No warp, no vibration, plenty of track days on them. We should meet up local, you can see the setup, it's worth the $$. The ceramic are nice, but not worth the $$ ECS rotors are $900 and cost $100 to install. I can buy 6-7 sets before I get to the costs of one ceramic set.

Yep, still waiting to meet up! Are you going to do C&C for June?

Dfw007
05-23-2015, 09:09 AM
No, I am at the lake.

the duke
05-23-2015, 03:32 PM
I have a couple extra sets of new/used ceramics available if anyone is interested [:D] No where near 17k. They last 100k+ miles if you don't really track the car. And even if you track your car frequently and need replacements, I always have those around. And replacement rotors and pads won't be 8k either. [up]

Beast
05-23-2015, 03:41 PM
I have a couple extra sets of new/used ceramics available if anyone is interested [:D] No where near 17k. They last 100k+ miles if you don't really track the car. And even if you track your car frequently and need replacements, I always have those around. And replacement rotors and pads won't be 8k either. [up]

OEM?

the duke
05-24-2015, 02:28 AM
Yes RS5 OEM or if you want another OEM set (i.e- C7 RS6 420mm fronts) I have those available as well.

dazed1
05-24-2015, 08:47 AM

PM me the cost please

the duke
05-24-2015, 03:00 PM
PM me the cost please

PM sent.

Entreri
06-09-2015, 05:11 AM
Already had the same problem with my brakes twice. First time after 20k miles. the dealearship told me I had to change the rotors as they were warped. This would have cost me about 3500€ as they said "it's normal wear and tear".
Went to a local workshop and the guy turned the rotors for 40€. Problem solved.
Well until 30k miles when it started shaking again. Went to the shop again but the guy told me it would be the last time he will be able to do it.
So next time I'll put on some Brembo's and trash the OEM.

2014RS5
06-09-2015, 07:23 AM
Rs5 brakes are weak and feeble can't believe audi produced a high end car with these brakes! But they sure look cool ...my car get's traded in in 2 weeks ...

superswiss
06-09-2015, 10:03 AM
Already had the same problem with my brakes twice. First time after 20k miles. the dealearship told me I had to change the rotors as they were warped. This would have cost me about 3500€ as they said "it's normal wear and tear".
Went to a local workshop and the guy turned the rotors for 40€. Problem solved.
Well until 30k miles when it started shaking again. Went to the shop again but the guy told me it would be the last time he will be able to do it.
So next time I'll put on some Brembo's and trash the OEM.

Turning drilled rotors is a bad idea.

Rs5 brakes are weak and feeble can't believe audi produced a high end car with these brakes! But they sure look cool ...my car get's traded in in 2 weeks ...

They are very easy to take up a notch or two when time comes to replace worn rotors and pads for about half the cost of OE parts. The non-wear parts of the brakes are great. 8-piston Brembo caliper for example, so all you need are a set of good aftermarket full float rotors and better pads, throw in some stainless steel brake lines and you are golden and all this costs less than throwing on another set of OE rotors and pads.

Entreri
06-09-2015, 02:25 PM
Turning drilled rotors is a bad idea.

They are very easy to take up a notch or two when time comes to replace worn rotors and pads for about half the cost of OE parts. The non-wear parts of the brakes are great. 8-piston Brembo caliper for example, so all you need are a set of good aftermarket full float rotors and better pads, throw in some stainless steel brake lines and you are golden and all this costs less than throwing on another set of OE rotors and pads.

Any recommandation for the rotors? I was thinking to get 400mm rotors with 6 piston Brembo calipers, would that be a decent choice?

And why would turning be a bad idea, it's just some metal right?

superswiss
06-09-2015, 04:41 PM
Any recommandation for the rotors? I was thinking to get 400mm rotors with 6 piston Brembo calipers, would that be a decent choice?

And why would turning be a bad idea, it's just some metal right?

Turning drilled rotors weakens the structure around the holes, which makes them more prone to starting to crack from the holes outward under stress. I can recommend the ECS tru float rotors, which I have on my car, but I'm not sure you can get them in Belgium. These rotors hold up even under track abuse. Why would you want to replace the caliper? The RS5 already has an excellent 8-piston Brembo caliper.

ECS rotors: http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B8_RS5--4.2L/Braking/Rotors/ES2785596/

Beast
06-09-2015, 05:13 PM
PM sent.

pm me also bro