PDA

View Full Version : Any experience with RS5 ECS front brake rotors?

phantomrs5
02-04-2015, 02:48 PM
Anyone running these that can provide feedback? It's time to change out my rotors and these are less money than OEM and sound like an upgrade. My mechanic however expressed some concern about ECS rotors. Thoughts??? Appreciate any feedback.

http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B8_RS5--4.2L/News/Audi_B8_RS5_ECS_Tunig_Front_2_Piece_Wave_Style_Rot ors_2013_2014_2015/ES2785596/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

superswiss
02-04-2015, 03:34 PM
Yes, I have them on mine. They are very good. ECS stuff is not always good, but these seem to be an exception. So far I've only done street driving, but I've been told by another member on the forum who has them on his RS5 and has been to the track, that they are holding up well at very high temperatures. Looks like the RS5 needs more cooling ducts, but the rotors held up fine with racing pads. I've done a full upgrade with these rotors, Hawk HPS pads and ECS stainless steel brake lines. The improvements are very noticeable on the twisty back roads. So far I can highly recommend these rotors.

dazed1
02-04-2015, 07:56 PM
Yes, I have them on mine. They are very good. ECS stuff is not always good, but these seem to be an exception. So far I've only done street driving, but I've been told by another member on the forum who has them on his RS5 and has been to the track, that they are holding up well at very high temperatures. Looks like the RS5 needs more cooling ducts, but the rotors held up fine with racing pads. I've done a full upgrade with these rotors, Hawk HPS pads and ECS stainless steel brake lines. The improvements are very noticeable on the twisty back roads. So far I can highly recommend these rotors.

That would be me.

I am running super aggressive pads (Pagid RS29). but the bite is amazing. No fade, and no heat spots after the track weekend, which is good. The rotors did get crazy hot (850*F). Similar to what the stocks get.

I am going to be taking the pads off to really inspect the wear/tear. I'll be working with a local shop to either make some sort of removable cooling duct, or just move to 384mm stoptech rotors + pads.

Dfw007
02-04-2015, 07:59 PM
I have the v1 of these rotors, non wavy, non float and have tracked them several times with Carbotech pads, they are a great alternative to the stock rotors. I also use the Hawk HPS for daily driving and they are a good match together. If you are doing street/twistie driving these rotors and the hps are all you will need. For the track the HPS will not do and you will need something with more bite.

phantomrs5
02-05-2015, 04:32 AM
Appreciate the feedback. I plan to go ahead with these ecs rotors. Any thoughts on typical lifespan for rotors and pads for normal daily driving? I do not track my car. I purchased my RS5 used with 12k miles and now I have 20k. Dealership says I need new pads and rotors already. Seems early to me for a replacement but maybe it's typical??

jkownz
02-05-2015, 06:27 AM
Appreciate the feedback. I plan to go ahead with these ecs rotors. Any thoughts on typical lifespan for rotors and pads for normal daily driving? I do not track my car. I purchased my RS5 used with 12k miles and now I have 20k. Dealership says I need new pads and rotors already. Seems early to me for a replacement but maybe it's typical??

Yea RS5 as a track record known for blowing threw rotors or brake pads fairly quickly. There have been a few threads already getting polls on how many miles they get before changes.

ECS Tuning-Audi
02-05-2015, 07:38 AM
Appreciate the all the support and feed back!

Glad to hear our ECS rotor owners are enjoying them! [up]

Jason

dazed1
02-05-2015, 09:17 AM

My stock lasted about 12k miles. So 20k is not bad. Specially if you do spirited driving.

dazed1
02-05-2015, 09:20 AM
Appreciate the all the support and feed back!

Glad to hear our ECS rotor owners are enjoying them! [up]

Jason

Jason, I'm curious on a few things:
Cooling: Any way to get more cooling? Even though these are correct directional, and floating, they seem to be getting the same temps as the stock rotors. The calipers were fine, and I am running the steel brake lines + Motul (600 or 660, i forget).
Replacement rotors: Any sort of membership for getting replacement rotors after the 1st one? I believe due to a couple of the fast tracks + heavy braking tracks here (Thunderhill, Laguna), I'll need to replace rotors every 3-4 weekends.

superswiss
02-05-2015, 09:24 AM

I got 24k out of mine with lots of high speed braking during the first 4k miles in Germany and a few laps around the Nurburgring. The rest was daily driving in the US, but regularly going for a drive on the back roads.

EDIT: The other thing about the ECS rotors is that they give you a discount on replacement rotors once they are worn.

dazed1
02-05-2015, 08:22 PM
EDIT: The other thing about the ECS rotors is that they give you a discount on replacement rotors once they are worn.

They do?? Had no idea. maybe I'm not looking enough, but I don't find this on their website.

superswiss
02-05-2015, 10:47 PM
They do?? Had no idea. maybe I'm not looking enough, but I don't find this on their website.

Click on the link above and expand the description. Read the last paragraph.

dazed1
02-06-2015, 07:05 AM
Click on the link above and expand the description. Read the last paragraph.

Good to know!

Wonder what the discounted price is.

ECS Tuning-Audi
02-06-2015, 07:24 AM
Jason, I'm curious on a few things:
Cooling: Any way to get more cooling? Even though these are correct directional, and floating, they seem to be getting the same temps as the stock rotors. The calipers were fine, and I am running the steel brake lines + Motul (600 or 660, i forget).
Replacement rotors: Any sort of membership for getting replacement rotors after the 1st one? I believe due to a couple of the fast tracks + heavy braking tracks here (Thunderhill, Laguna), I'll need to replace rotors every 3-4 weekends.

From the rotors themselves? I don't think so. The directional/larger vanes are at the maximum without sacrificing the integrity of the rotor structure. The Tru-Float construction should allow for much better thermal expansion than the OE rotor as ours are fully floating where as the OE are semi floating, so even if you are seeing the same temps there is less stress on the rotor. Not to mention unless you have air pumping to the brakes from ducting you wont be able to significantly lower brake temps. But our rotors should be able to cool down more effectively due to the improved vane design.

Also we do offer a discount for customers who need replacements. When the time comes just give Sales a call (1-800-924-5172 ex 130) and they will be able to set you up with a pair of brand new rotors at a discounted pricing.

Jason

antoff83
02-06-2015, 01:32 PM

I changed my front brakes 2 weeks ago. Car had 15K miles.Had 1 track day and occasionally spirited driving when allows..other than that I drive like old fart.. They replaced only brakes..service manager said rotors are ok. I was kinda disappointment since they didn't last at least 22-24k like with other RS5 fellows..

rmh
04-04-2015, 08:03 PM
Cryogenically treated rotors last longer than non-cryogenically treated rotors.
See if you can cryogenically treat the rotor of your choice, or find someone (like Frozen Rotors, not affiliated with them in any way) and ask them what to choose for your car.

Ash83
07-18-2016, 10:54 AM
Mine are getting close to change at 34K

I am looking into ECS since they are cheaper and seems to be an upgrade over OEM because $4K for 4 rotors from Audi seems outrages ($2088 fore rears+pads and $1958 for front+ pads including labour and tax)

HMS
07-24-2016, 01:19 PM
Besides the advice of a service manager, what are things to look/feel for when your rotors are going? How do you know they're near toast?

Sent from the future.

TontoLoidRS5
08-12-2016, 08:05 AM
How come ECS are selling the Audi original brake discs as well (see website). Are ECS the manufacturer of these?

superswiss
08-12-2016, 08:40 AM
How come ECS are selling the Audi original brake discs as well (see website). Are ECS the manufacturer of these?

No, they are a reseller primarily. They sell all kinds of parts including OE parts and in addition they make some of their own stuff.

ECS Tuning-Audi
08-12-2016, 09:25 AM
Correct! We sell Genuine Audi parts, as well as many other aftermarket parts and accessories including parts we even design and engineer our selves!

Jason