PDA

View Full Version : Just hit 75K, extended warranty expires next week. What other maintenance is needed?

Vinny_s5
08-04-2014, 07:28 PM
Just hit 75K recently and went to the dealer for an oil change. I thought I had more time on my extended warranty, but unfortunately its going to be up at the end of next week.

During my oil change they discovered I had a fault come up for one of my motor mounts. The tech told me that it probably wouldent be covered under warranty since I modified my ECU (GIAC tune).

He told my that within the last year they have really been enforcing voiding the warranty due to modifications, and my car would be flagged. Ive been to the dealer many times since having my car modded, and when he went into the system to check if I have been flagged, it turns out I havent been flagged yet.

He still advised me to return the ECU back to stock, get the warranty work done, then reload the software. After checking with my nearest GIAC dealer, it would cost $75 to return to stock and $75 to re-do the tune. $150 is better than paying over $1,500 to pay for replacing the motor mounts out of warranty, and I rather be safe then sorry.

With that said, what else should I have looked at or replaced before the warranty expires?

Also, I've never done any other maintenance besides oilchanges, cleaning my intake filter, and whatever was covered under the warranty. A couple of oil changes ago a service advisor reccommended a fuel injection cleaning and a power steering flush, but I felt he was just trying to get money out of me.

I also never paid for the 55K and 75K maintenance because it was $1,000 and my tech told me it wasnt neccessary.

Id love to have the carbon buildup addressed, but I havent had any CEL or misfires to warrant it. Any way to get around that and have it covered under warrantee otherwise?

So, what maintenance should I do at this point?

chekuen
08-10-2014, 07:48 PM
please reply after the service and the unlashing and re flashing the ecu I want to hear all things were successful. I too have a moded car and will do the very same if I have to go to the stealership for warranty work thanks

Steve_K
08-11-2014, 12:18 AM
Vinny, I would probably request to have the entire power steering system checked, and re-checked. I also have a '09 S5 and the pipes leading into and out of the power steering pump have come out twice already, within a short space of time too. That happened about 9 or 10 months ago and fortunately haven't had any problems since, but get them checked anyway, especially the hose clamps an the power steering pump itself.

As far as a carbon clean, I would probably just go to your Audi dealer, with a stock ECU obviously, and just mention that you've been experiencing intermittent misfires and see what happens.

Other than that, I'm not really sure what else goes wrong with these cars, they normally pretty bulletproof.

Vinny_s5
08-11-2014, 01:51 PM
Steve, thanks for the heads up on the power steering system. I'll ask to have it checked out. How did you come to find out about the issues with your power steering? Any symptoms you could explain or lights that come up on the dash?

I have a feeling I'm going to get the run around with the carbon clean. I've complained numerous times about a rough start and rough idle, and they say they can't do anything unless a check engine light comes on from misfires. I didn't know I could complain about a misfire. I thought that was something that just comes up as a fault, and I thought if I exadurated they would know.

The car has been at Audi since Wednesday. Last I heard from them was that Friday, and the motor mounts still weren't in.

scmguru
08-15-2014, 06:21 PM
Even if an ecu is flashed back to stock, there is a counter that individually counts how many times the ecu has been flashed. If the counter doesn't match what Audi has in their system, vehicle is flagged. On my 08 RS4, one of the service campaigns added this to the ecu along with making the engine less sensitive to misfires triggering a code.