PDA

View Full Version : Ceramic brakes in the winter?

S4V8
06-26-2014, 01:01 PM
Hi gang,

Im looking at a '13 RS5 with ceramic brakes. I am tempted to purchase the car but the ceramic brakes are scaring me off a litte - I hear they can be squeeky and are not so great in the winter....takes time to heat them up for proper bite.

Can anyone out there with ceramic brakes confirm?

Thanks!

scmguru
06-26-2014, 03:05 PM
And they are about $6-8k to replace...

essfour
06-26-2014, 03:16 PM
I doubt you'd notice a huge difference - i mean, of course they'll take longer to heat up but i'd imagine that they compounds have been optimized for all weather driving. Squeaky.. probably. But so are my cast iron brakes. I would not let ceramics scare you off, if anything that should be an attraction. 6k to replace, sure... but they also last considerably longer than the standard brakes - which still cost around 3k to replace F/R rotors and Pads. So the price to opperate evens out over the long term.

If you are that scared, I am more than willing to trade brakes with you if you make the purchase.

Conartist
06-26-2014, 04:32 PM
My ceramics haven't squeaked more than 8-10, 20 times at most in the almost 7k miles I've driven the car. It's super infrequent. The brakes were less than effective once or twice last winter, but if I remember correctly, it was after doing donuts or other hard turning events which got the wheels and brakes packed with snow. I was worried the temp fluctuation would have cracked the rotors, but they've held up without incident.

Also, IIRC the car is supposed to automatically lightly engage the brakes at speed from time to time to maintain brake temperature?

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Beast
06-26-2014, 04:58 PM
I doubt you'd notice a huge difference - i mean, of course they'll take longer to heat up but i'd imagine that they compounds have been optimized for all weather driving. Squeaky.. probably. But so are my cast iron brakes. I would not let ceramics scare you off, if anything that should be an attraction. 6k to replace, sure... but they also last considerably longer than the standard brakes - which still cost around 3k to replace F/R rotors and Pads. So the price to opperate evens out over the long term.

If you are that scared, I am more than willing to trade brakes with you if you make the purchase.

+1 on that offer haha.

Steve_K
06-27-2014, 02:49 AM
Although I don't have a RS5 with ceramics, I do know that those ceramic discs with the special ceramic pad compound will last you forever...Well almost. Those discs are bulletproof and you'll definitely be replacing pads more that replacing discs for a long time to come.

I'd say, do it!