PDA

View Full Version : Three month old RS5, dead engine

glycerine
06-01-2014, 04:24 PM
Bit of history... Had a 2011 A5 for last two years. End of February, I traded that in for a brand new 2014 Daytona Gray RS5.

It has been an amazing car. Until last week...

So 84 days into owning this nice piece of ass, I was sitting at an onramp in traffic waiting for my turn to go. Car died on me, like it stalled. Tried to restart it, no go. Few guys in line behind me pushed me up the hill to the side, so the rest of traffic could flow. Car would shift gears and go into neutral. Had a full tank of gas and electronics worked fine. No CEL was lit up. Called Audi Roadside Assistance, and they towed the car back to my dealership. Was hoping it was something minor, and some computer flash could resolve whatever happened. Later that day they called me with the bad news... I would need a new engine. Something internal broke, would be covered under warranty. It had 3647 miles on the block.

That was 10 days ago. The car is sitting in their lot right now, awaiting a new engine in crate from Germany. They guestimate 10-12 days for the engine to arrive, then a few weeks before everything is replaced, including the starter, and possibly more. So in total, I will likely be without the car for 4-6 weeks. I do have a loaner car during this time from the dealership.

Does anyone have any experience in situations like this?

Will I have to suck it up and wait it out, then get my car back?
Will this hurt my resale value? They claim since its warranty work, won't affect CarFax, as its not an accident.
Could I lemon the car, have them buy it back, and get another one?
Could I get AoA to reimburse me during the downtime for payments (finance payments, siriusxm, t-mobile SIM data plan, insurance payments)?

What Is a Lemon in California?
A problem car's owner can be entitled to a comparable replacement or a refund of the purchase price (prorated based on the miles driven). Under California lemon law, there are a few qualifications:

The car must still be under warranty.
The owner must have taken the car in for repair for the same problem 4 times or more through an authorized dealer.
The car must have been inoperable for a total of 30 days (not necessarily consecutive).
The problem or defect must also substantially impair the use, value, or safety of the vehicle. To qualify, cars must be either purchased or leased in California for personal, family, or business use.

http://s29.postimg.org/7hw9zf1c3/2014_05_23_10_54_33.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/7hw9zf1c3/) http://s18.postimg.org/5uaq9ff79/2014_05_27_08_37_50.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/5uaq9ff79/)

Jeremiah_S
06-02-2014, 06:30 AM
First, I want to say I'm sorry this is happening to you. Whether new or used, people pay a nice chunk of change for these vehicles.

I'm looking at the lemon law and only seeing two criteria that would be met after this girl is put back together. One more if it does end up reflecting resale value, and they claimed it wouldn't.

Now that I've gotten logic out of the way, I can say I am hurting for you. I know you really just want to give her back and have them give you an untouched RS5. I would be feeling the same way, and always have misgivings about the car as a result. These are emotional reactions to an admittedly first world, but still important problem.

They are trying their best to make it right, that is the best you can say of any business.

Zee Dgerman
06-02-2014, 03:15 PM
Woah that sucks dude... really sorry to hear the bad news.

I'm not really aware of all the details of the lemon law since we don't have that in canada, but I think it is too early to declare the car a lemon. After they fix it, you should be fine as this seems to be a faulty engine from the start. Now if more things go wrong in the months that follow and your car spends too much time at the dealer... then look into it.

These things happen unfortunately, on any car. Happened to my dad on a brand new CLS 63 AMG, same thing, engine had to be replaced after less than 2000km. My RS5 has been very reliable so far even though I only have 9000km on it. My 2010 S4 would have been a lemon had it been purchased in the US for sure... In 3 years of ownership and about 80k km, I went prob around 15-20 times to the dealer to get stuff fixed under warranty... very frustrating.

Ask them if they can at least give you a nice car as a loaner like an R8 [;)]

keep us posted !

Bit of history... Had a 2011 A5 for last two years. End of February, I traded that in for a brand new 2014 Daytona Gray RS5.

It has been an amazing car. Until last week...

So 84 days into owning this nice piece of ass, I was sitting at an onramp in traffic waiting for my turn to go. Car died on me, like it stalled. Tried to restart it, no go. Few guys in line behind me pushed me up the hill to the side, so the rest of traffic could flow. Car would shift gears and go into neutral. Had a full tank of gas and electronics worked fine. No CEL was lit up. Called Audi Roadside Assistance, and they towed the car back to my dealership. Was hoping it was something minor, and some computer flash could resolve whatever happened. Later that day they called me with the bad news... I would need a new engine. Something internal broke, would be covered under warranty. It had 3647 miles on the block.

That was 10 days ago. The car is sitting in their lot right now, awaiting a new engine in crate from Germany. They guestimate 10-12 days for the engine to arrive, then a few weeks before everything is replaced, including the starter, and possibly more. So in total, I will likely be without the car for 4-6 weeks. I do have a loaner car during this time from the dealership.

Does anyone have any experience in situations like this?

Will I have to suck it up and wait it out, then get my car back?
Will this hurt my resale value? They claim since its warranty work, won't affect CarFax, as its not an accident.
Could I lemon the car, have them buy it back, and get another one?
Could I get AoA to reimburse me during the downtime for payments (finance payments, siriusxm, t-mobile SIM data plan, insurance payments)?

http://s29.postimg.org/7hw9zf1c3/2014_05_23_10_54_33.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/7hw9zf1c3/) http://s18.postimg.org/5uaq9ff79/2014_05_27_08_37_50.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/5uaq9ff79/)

LINDW4LL
06-02-2014, 03:21 PM
Very unfortunate. I've never heard of another RS 5 with an engine failure.

That said, no reason to ditch the car.

glycerine
06-02-2014, 11:35 PM
Haven't heard back from AoA yet. We'll see what happens.

I hope it doesn't rain this week, if it does, I will be demanding a new car. I noticed they left the moonroof open in my car, and its sitting outside. I told them on Saturday of this, and they said they would close it. I stopped by there this morning to swap loaners and saw it still open.

Zee Dgerman
06-03-2014, 08:35 AM
Dealers are too big nowadays... hard to keep track of everything. The SA probably told them to close the roof, but somewhere between mechanic #7 and valet boy #5 the message got lost. My dealer in montreal is still very small and the service is great, they treat you like family always. I hope they stay that way even though the owner told me he was under a lot of pressure from audi to expand... from my disastrous and frustrating experience at BMW dealers (that is why I now bring my x3 to a small private shop), I pray they don't cave in and follow the trend...

Haven't heard back from AoA yet. We'll see what happens.

I hope it doesn't rain this week, if it does, I will be demanding a new car. I noticed they left the moonroof open in my car, and its sitting outside. I told them on Saturday of this, and they said they would close it. I stopped by there this morning to swap loaners and saw it still open.

mxrz
06-03-2014, 11:01 AM
Dealers are too big nowadays... hard to keep track of everything. The SA probably told them to close the roof, but somewhere between mechanic #7 and valet boy #5 the message got lost. My dealer in montreal is still very small and the service is great, they treat you like family always.

I hope you're not talking about Prestige in St-Laurent.

Zee Dgerman
06-03-2014, 12:13 PM
Nope lol

I hope you're not talking about Prestige in St-Laurent.

Skyler@Achtuning
06-03-2014, 12:21 PM

I have seen a few instances of this occurring on the forums over the years so it is definitely worth asking into. Sorry to hear about your trouble, it would be interesting to hear which engine component failed.

glycerine
06-03-2014, 04:14 PM
The dealership called/emailed me today saying the engine should be there tomorrow. Then still have a few weeks to do on the swap.

The SA probably told them to close the roof, but somewhere between mechanic #7 and valet boy #5 the message got lost.When the service advisor emailed today, I asked him to make sure the moonroof gets closed, he said he will confirm. So that part of the whole thing shouldn't be an issue anymore.

AoA also called me today to check in. They asked if I wanted out of Audi, or a replacement of equal or greater value. Of course I love Audi, I just want a reliable RS5. So in the end I'd go for a replacement car now, with some compensation for the work I've already done to the existing car (tint, clearbra, leather protection, etc). Or 'downtime' compensation such as covering my monthly payments for a MIA car.

rlarsen462
06-03-2014, 04:21 PM
Assuming they execute on their intentions, sounds like AoA is making right on this one.

scmguru
06-03-2014, 04:22 PM
Very unfortunate. I've never heard of another RS 5 with an engine failure.

That said, no reason to ditch the car.

There is a red RS5 Convertible on Cars.com that is a lemon buyback due to an engine failure at 3k miles.

Beast
06-03-2014, 05:49 PM
The dealership called/emailed me today saying the engine should be there tomorrow. Then still have a few weeks to do on the swap.

When the service advisor emailed today, I asked him to make sure the moonroof gets closed, he said he will confirm. So that part of the whole thing shouldn't be an issue anymore.

AoA also called me today to check in. They asked if I wanted out of Audi, or a replacement of equal or greater value. Of course I love Audi, I just want a reliable RS5. So in the end I'd go for a replacement car now, with some compensation for the work I've already done to the existing car (tint, clearbra, leather protection, etc). Or 'downtime' compensation such as covering my monthly payments for a MIA car.

I would tell then to order you a 2015 RS5 with exclusive paint etc and let you drive your RS or another replacement till it arrives.

skyhopsing
06-03-2014, 07:11 PM
http://www.offleaseonly.com/used-car/Audi-RS-5-42L-Coupe-Quattro-WUAC6AFR5EA900615.htm

Here is a lemon bye back were the engine was replaced !

scmguru
06-04-2014, 11:35 AM
2013 Audi RS5 Convertible, Misano Red, Carousel Motors $65k 5k miles - Replaced long block, and a bunch of other parts @ around 1500 miles and then flagged manufacturer buyback 12/2013

Great deal if this is something you can live with..

Vehicle Link

http://www.carouselmotors.com/Used-2013-Audi-RS-5-42-Iowa-City-IA/vd/18798195

Carfax Link

http://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory/p/Report.cfx?vin=WUAC6AFH5DN900242&partner=CDM_0

2014RS5
06-04-2014, 11:11 PM
sorry to hear your rs5 died, hope mine stays together... keep us posted on what actually broke please .cheers.

glycerine
06-04-2014, 11:34 PM
Apparently the engine hasn't left Germany yet. Already been two weeks. I guess the RS5 saw its own shadow, 4-6 more weeks of disappointment.

scmguru
06-05-2014, 09:02 AM
I'm sure it will all get sorted for you. I had an issue early on and Audi stepped up and made it right, once I was able to get my matter escalated to the right people.

MikeyMikes84
06-05-2014, 09:19 AM
Sorry to hear about your RS5 glycerine. Surprised AoA gave those options so soon, seems they want to make this right. Replacement + some sort of compensation sounds good.

2011_S4
06-05-2014, 09:28 AM
I had this happen with my '11 B8 S4. Engine replacement after roughly 1200 kms. In the end I got reimbursed on the payments for the time it was down (almost a couple of months). Sucks for sure but the car was bulletproof after the replacement (minus the mechatronics, but that was not due to engine replacement). Best of luck with your decision. At least they are willing to offer you a replacement - they wouldn't go that far with mine so it sounds like they are doing their best to make it right.

superswiss
06-05-2014, 09:55 AM
Sorry to hear about your RS5 glycerine. Surprised AoA gave those options so soon, seems they want to make this right. Replacement + some sort of compensation sounds good.

It seems that if you own an RS, AoA moves heaven and earth to keep you happy. These are halo cars for Audi. I had a transmission leak that they discovered during the 5k service. Dealer replaced the oil pan and gasket and thought the problem was fixed. Got the car back and it started to leak again next day. Brought the car back to the dealer and AoA put an engineer on a plane the very same day to get the issue addressed immediately. Half way through the repair job they were talking transmission replacement, but it turned out that the replacement oil pans they were receiving all got damaged in transport. They finally got a good one and all was fixed at the end. I was out of the car for a total of 4 weeks, but I had a loaner the entire time. I don't have payments on this car, so I didn't make a stink with AoA.

OP, sorry to hear about having this big of an issue already after such a short time. FWIW, the engines in these cars are very complicated and high strung. These are not mainstream engines. Mine's holding up pretty well after 16k miles, however, I do currently have a cold start misfire that they thought was fixed after an ECM update, but apparently it's not. I may have a leaking fuel injector. Car is going in this Friday. Part of owning a car like the RS5 means that you may have more and bigger issues than with your prior A5. Although, other models are not immune from these issues. It happens. Hopefully AoA makes good.

glycerine
06-05-2014, 10:38 PM
AoA is full of fluff so far. I called them on it today, more and more excuses and delays. "We are investigating". It has been over two weeks, with at least five more weeks (optimistic). I am paying (large) payments to have a new beefy car, and I don't have it. I'll likely call them tomorrow for escalation, or for at least a more responsive rep on my case (called twice yesterday and only got voicemail, finally a call back today).

glycerine
06-06-2014, 05:40 PM
Progress. At least the engine has arrived. Not sure if the rest of the needed parts have also (starter,etc).

http://i.imgur.com/3fY1g0Ol.jpg (http://imgur.com/3fY1g0O)

skyhopsing
06-06-2014, 06:35 PM
Obviously a major failure, did they tell you what failed? Crank shaft, piston, valve, etc. It would be interesting to know the weak link or manufacturing defect.

Thanks

Bone Stock Bob

HAWKiS5
06-08-2014, 10:44 AM
Sad to hear it......but I assume all will be all right with your new engine.

I had a complete engine replacement with my S6 (V6T) after 3K km from new.....took them 5 weeks in total (including shipping new engine, re-mounting it, etc) and of course I was annoyed, but accepted the car. Then within 4K km the new(!) engine shut down also........they had to replace it again............this was not acceptable for me anymore, and, long story short, I could order a new car with no depreciation.

Good luck!

JimmyBones
06-08-2014, 11:03 AM
Progress. At least the engine has arrived. Not sure if the rest of the needed parts have also (starter,etc).

http://i.imgur.com/3fY1g0Ol.jpg (http://imgur.com/3fY1g0O)

Typically they swap over all that stuff, like the intake manifold, starter, accessories, etc.

The situation sucks for everyone involved but just over two weeks to get a new engine from Germany isn't bad overall. Good luck and I hope that you get back to enjoying your car soon.

glycerine
06-09-2014, 07:29 PM
They are targeting to complete the job by this Friday.

They will cut me a check for compensation of downtime on new car. They want me to sign a liability release in trade, so I can't force buy back on them.

rlarsen462
06-09-2014, 08:01 PM
They want me to sign a liability release in trade, so I can't force buy back on them.

Unacceptable. No part of any of this is your problem or fault. Don't sign this.

Beast
06-09-2014, 08:03 PM
Push them to order you a new car..... and let you drive your current one till it arrives. It's only right.

glycerine
06-09-2014, 10:05 PM
I'll see what the liability form says, I'll post it here when they send it.

ExhaustNote
06-09-2014, 10:52 PM
Which dealership are you working with? Stevens Creek?

glycerine
06-09-2014, 11:32 PM
Yes

Sftuner
06-10-2014, 11:14 PM
Are these motors hand built like the C63 by one person alone? I am so surprised with the amount of money this car cost brand new,,,that the motor would have catastrophic issues.
Especially with such low mileage. But maybe the previous owner drove the car like a crazy person and abused the crap out of the car.

LINDW4LL
06-10-2014, 11:19 PM
I definitely wouldn't sign the liability release, just on principle alone.

Are these motors hand built like the C63 by one person alone? I am so surprised with the amount of money this car cost brand new,,,that the motor would have catastrophic issues.
Especially with such low mileage. But maybe the previous owner drove the car like a crazy person and abused the crap out of the car.
OP was the first owner. The engines are indeed hand-built. Failure is rare but can happen with any car.

glycerine
06-14-2014, 12:52 AM
So the car is fixed. Was ready today, but I work too far away to get it. Going to pick it up tomorrow, after over three weeks waiting.

Apparently AoA sent the liability release via snail mail, haven't seen it come in yet. Without seeing the form, and with their initial offer, sounds like I'll have to deal with them for awhile still to get it taken care of properly. The dealership has been great through the whole situation, but the AoA rep has really irked me.

glycerine
06-14-2014, 01:09 PM
Picked up the car today. Looks like they put 80 miles on it during break in testing. Still no word this last week from AoA themselves. The manager at the dealership has been good at keeping me updated though.

skyhopsing
06-14-2014, 02:45 PM
I think if I was in your situation, I might seek legal advice.

glycerine
06-14-2014, 06:38 PM
Yes. Especially since I am back in the A5 loaner car a few hours later...

Driving down the road, DIS lights up, "critical oil level! see dealership!" So fuck, dropped it off and took my loaner back.

scmguru
06-15-2014, 10:31 AM
Ugh.. Sorry to hear man. Hopefully just an oil level sensor issue.

rlarsen462
06-15-2014, 11:44 AM
If the oil level was really critical you'd think it would seize...not a lot of slop in these motors.

Sorry for your terrible luck.

dazed1
06-15-2014, 01:16 PM
Damn.. that sucks.

Ask them to throw in an exclusive + EU delivery at the least for compensation.

skyhopsing
06-15-2014, 04:59 PM
Check the "Lemon Laws" in your state. Florida is three attempts, after that, they have to buy it back. I am thinking California is about the same.

Zee Dgerman
06-16-2014, 08:27 AM
Oh no... this is not good. One more strike I say and call it a lemon. They better treat you properly, while these things happen it is NOT YOUR RESPONSABILITY, they sold you an expensive car that is defective. They should be doing everything in their power to make you happy right now. Even if it means Taking your car and giving you a new one.

Yes. Especially since I am back in the A5 loaner car a few hours later...

Driving down the road, DIS lights up, "critical oil level! see dealership!" So fuck, dropped it off and took my loaner back.

Beast
06-16-2014, 10:43 AM
I'm sure if you push hard and keep on them they will let you order a new rs, and let you drive your current one in the meantime... It's only right.

scmguru
06-16-2014, 12:11 PM
I'm sure if you push hard and keep on them they will let you order a new rs, and let you drive your current one in the meantime... It's only right.

2nd.

glycerine
06-16-2014, 10:06 PM
They topped up the oil and road tested it more. Also topped the gas back up to where I dropped it off at, and fixed a scuff on one rim they caused. Gonna pick it up again tomorrow.

Still waiting for letter from AoA. They only shipped it this morning, got the UPS alert.

ExhaustNote
06-16-2014, 10:55 PM
They topped up the oil and road tested it more. Also topped the gas back up to where I dropped it off at, and fixed a scuff on one rim they caused. Gonna pick it up again tomorrow.

Still waiting for letter from AoA. They only shipped it this morning, got the UPS alert.

Fixed a scuffed rim? Seriously?? You can't easily fix a scuffed RS5 rotor wheel...they really should replace it.

John P.
06-16-2014, 11:20 PM
glycerine you're way calmer than I would be.

Beast
06-17-2014, 06:37 AM
glycerine you're way calmer than I would be.

+1

Turn up.

superswiss
06-17-2014, 12:52 PM
Fixed a scuffed rim? Seriously?? You can't easily fix a scuffed RS5 rotor wheel...they really should replace it.

+1. Yeah, good luck with getting that to look like new, depending on which part is scuffed. The problem with the Ti wheels is that the clear coat used on the outer edge is not sold anywhere in the US. Most wheel shops just sand down the damage, which looks horrible. I found a shop here in Nor Cal, that mixes their own clear to fix these rims. However, they've had one of my rims for several weeks now, because he ran out a while back. For some reason it's taking forever to get a new batch.

ExhaustNote
06-17-2014, 10:32 PM

BTW, a good dealership will fill your tank as part of the service when you bring it in. No matter what level the gas is in when I drop off my car, it's always been filled to the brim when I pick it up.

glycerine
06-17-2014, 11:47 PM
Got the car back this morning, so far so good. AoA sent their letter out yesterday, missed the UPS delivery of it today. Hopefully get it tomorrow.

All the rims look spotless now, few had minor curb rash before. They either did an amazing clean up job on them, or put new rims on the whole car. I see what looks like grease around the rubber, making me think they put new rims on the rubber.

My sales guy always offers to fill the tank when I stop by. They wash it too whenever I want. Been overall happy with the dealership my last three years of owning an Audi.

914dude
06-18-2014, 01:56 AM
AoA sucks donkey nuts. I bought a CPO A4 last year that was in a accident and had some sort of other mechanical issues which the dealership (who was even worse than AoA) didn't want to address. The dealership took the car back but long story short I made payments for a car I didn't own for two months + insurance and whatnot honestly that didn't bother me but AoA started playing games which really ticked me off.

In the end they didn't reimburse me anything and told me its the dealers problem and they are not responsible. I had a Q7 on order and was going to purchase another A4 however after the way I was treated I went back to BMW and canceled the Q7 and went with a GL. The dealership I bought my A6 at was great and the car is great but after the way I was treated with the A4 nightmare I am never going to get another Audi. BTW I had my claim escalated all the way up the ladder and thats where the games started. If you need numbers for "top Audi execs" PM me because I still have all that information. Doubt they would do much though.

Screw you AoA and Town Audi of NJ.

Hope everything works out and sorry to see this happened to you. At least the dealer is on your side.

Raser
06-18-2014, 03:57 AM
BTW, a good dealership will fill your tank as part of the service when you bring it in. No matter what level the gas is in when I drop off my car, it's always been filled to the brim when I pick it up.

Wow. I never get that. In fact, it is usually at a lower level due to all of their 'test driving'.

dazed1
06-18-2014, 07:40 AM

What dealer is this???
PM me if you don't want to post in public :)

Zee Dgerman
06-18-2014, 09:01 AM
Good! Glad all is fixed :-)

Got the car back this morning, so far so good. AoA sent their letter out yesterday, missed the UPS delivery of it today. Hopefully get it tomorrow.

All the rims look spotless now, few had minor curb rash before. They either did an amazing clean up job on them, or put new rims on the whole car. I see what looks like grease around the rubber, making me think they put new rims on the rubber.

My sales guy always offers to fill the tank when I stop by. They wash it too whenever I want. Been overall happy with the dealership my last three years of owning an Audi.

scmguru
06-18-2014, 07:52 PM

My dealer must suck then.. No free gas with service.

scmguru
06-18-2014, 07:55 PM
AoA sucks donkey nuts. I bought a CPO A4 last year that was in a accident and had some sort of other mechanical issues which the dealership (who was even worse than AoA) didn't want to address. The dealership took the car back but long story short I made payments for a car I didn't own for two months + insurance and whatnot honestly that didn't bother me but AoA started playing games which really ticked me off.

In the end they didn't reimburse me anything and told me its the dealers problem and they are not responsible. I had a Q7 on order and was going to purchase another A4 however after the way I was treated I went back to BMW and canceled the Q7 and went with a GL. The dealership I bought my A6 at was great and the car is great but after the way I was treated with the A4 nightmare I am never going to get another Audi. BTW I had my claim escalated all the way up the ladder and thats where the games started. If you need numbers for "top Audi execs" PM me because I still have all that information. Doubt they would do much though.

Screw you AoA and Town Audi of NJ.

Hope everything works out and sorry to see this happened to you. At least the dealer is on your side.

I had a bad experience with the 1st tier customer service folks, nobody ever returned calls, followed up etc, but once I escalated to the executive management, they did everything to make things right.

I've had over 6 audis in the past 10 years, so that may have helped...

shadyreddy
07-01-2014, 12:50 PM
Any update on how the car is holding up now ?!

Liquidsystm
07-15-2014, 11:39 PM
I hate Stevens creek audi, from sales to service, that place blows.

With that said, had my motor replaced in my avant by Livermore Audi last year over oil comsumption and they went the full nine to take care of my every needs. The techs and SA's there love modded cars there so they always willing to work around your setup and then some.

Come out to the Facebook nor cal audi meet in a couple weeks at 034! Would love to peep the ride

timlog123
07-30-2014, 12:16 PM
Wow. I never get that. In fact, it is usually at a lower level due to all of their 'test driving'.

Used to work for an Audi dealer. The owner was so cheap I'm surprised we didn't have to syphon the customers tanks in service.

glycerine
08-13-2014, 11:17 PM
Hey, so late update... Had the car back for awhile now, been running fine. Was in for its 5K service a few weeks ago too.

The letter I got from AoA was not acceptable. Liability release was way too open and vague. After some back and forth with AoA, they finally settled on sending me a check for compensation, without signing the liability release. It covered two months of car payments for me.

Probably won't ever hear the outcome of the old engine that went back to Germany. Maybe some tiny recall or service bulletin will come from it...

namvar
08-13-2014, 11:53 PM
Hey, so late update... Had the car back for awhile now, been running fine. Was in for its 5K service a few weeks ago too.

The letter I got from AoA was not acceptable. Liability release was way too open and vague. After some back and forth with AoA, they finally settled on sending me a check for compensation, without signing the liability release. It covered two months of car payments for me.

Probably won't ever hear the outcome of the old engine that went back to Germany. Maybe some tiny recall or service bulletin will come from it...

Very glad that the repairs are holding up. Hope you will put it all behind you and enjoy the car for years to come. One thing I have been meaning to ask. Each RS is driven on a track and individually tuned. What did yiur dealer do to fine tune the car?

scmguru
08-15-2014, 07:14 PM
Pretty sure the ecu handles engine tuning. Having 2 RS5's over the course of a year, each with its own niggling problems leads me to highly doubt Audi individually tunes these cars.

LINDW4LL
08-15-2014, 11:00 PM
One thing I have been meaning to ask. Each RS is individually tuned. What did yiur dealer do to fine tune the car?
Where did you hear that the cars are individually tuned? The engines are hand built, but I do not believe they're individually tuned and I've never heard/read of that before your post.

namvar
08-17-2014, 07:30 PM
Where did you hear that the cars are individually tuned? The engines are hand built, but I do not believe they're individually tuned and I've never heard/read of that before your post.

I don't recall to be honest with you. I'll go through my emails and get back to you if I find out.

namvar
08-17-2014, 10:47 PM

I found an e-mail thread from my dealer that reminded me where I got that information. I had just mentioned that I was looking forward to getting my RS5 with just a handful of miles on it. The salesman told me to expect between 15-20 because they do drive it to fine tune the RS5. I did some searching on the web and beside the fact that there is a track next to the factory that the RS models are built in, there is no mention of a fine tuning step. I think I am going to have them take a picture of the odometer when it gets offloaded from the truck...

LINDW4LL
08-17-2014, 11:04 PM
I found an e-mail thread from my dealer that reminded me where I got that information. I had just mentioned that I was looking forward to getting my RS5 with just a handful of miles on it. The salesman told me to expect between 15-20 because they do drive it to fine tune the RS5. I did some searching on the web and beside the fact that there is a track next to the factory that the RS models are built in, there is no mention of a fine tuning step. I think I am going to have them take a picture of the odometer when it gets offloaded from the truck...
They do in fact put some miles on before it leaves the factory to break in the engine and ensure everything is functioning properly. I'm not sure if they take it on the factory track, or just on the dyno, but I have heard of RS owners taking delivery with 40-50 miles on it.

scmguru
08-18-2014, 04:46 PM
They do in fact put some miles on before it leaves the factory to break in the engine and ensure everything is functioning properly. I'm not sure if they take it on the factory track, or just on the dyno, but I have heard of RS owners taking delivery with 40-50 miles on it.

FWIW

My 1st RS5 had 60 something miles.
My 2nd RS5 had 30 something miles.

namvar
08-18-2014, 10:49 PM
FWIW

My 1st RS5 had 60 something miles.
My 2nd RS5 had 30 something miles.

Thanks guys. Now I know not to freak out if it comes with that many miles. NO wonder they consider the wheels used.

ffgo24
08-20-2014, 08:27 PM
Mine had 51 before my test drive.

glycerine
08-24-2014, 09:47 PM
Mine originally had 35 miles on it when it came off the truck. After the new engine, they put about 90 miles on it (and eventually filled up the gas tank after I bitched heh).

maoxmao
10-29-2014, 02:01 AM
I had the exact same experience. I'm from Vancouver, Canada, and I bought my 2013 RS5 in May 2013. After 30 days from purchasing, my car just suddenly died while I'm driving. I had to call Roadside Assistance and had it towed back to the dealership. After they flew a senior technician from Audi Germany and inspected my car, they told me they couldn't fix it and will give me a brand new engine under warranty. I was really pissed off because this is a such major purchase for me. At the end the dealership agreed to extend my warranty for another year. I'm just glad this new engine works well so far.

NYSpeedRacer
10-29-2014, 09:58 AM
I spent some time at Audi's Neckarsulm factory this past summer for work and they do test the car. After it's fully assemble, they take all cars built at Neckarsulm on a long high speed run with the fresh engine on the AutoBahn. Personally see they do it as well, upwards of 140mph

B_Boy
12-04-2014, 08:35 PM
...Will this hurt my resale value? They claim since its warranty work, won't affect CarFax, as its not an accident.

Yes it will. They do report maintenance to CarFax. I had my engine block replaced in my 2.0T and I tried to trade it in a year later and they saw it had major repair and gave me a shit offer. I ended up completing my lease.

Good luck....

Beast
12-04-2014, 09:43 PM
Mine had 60 Km when i picked it up.