PDA

View Full Version : Trouble choosing S5 with V8 or New 3.0 Help

jaiS5
05-08-2014, 04:28 PM
So Im on the hunt, looking for the 'right' S5.. and having troubles choosing between the V8 4.2 or the 3.0 Tfsi.. I personally love the V8 sound .. and the look of the B8 but i would be buying pre owned here in europe, Germany being the biggest market but also probably the biggest problematic market as well ( autobahn driven ) ... im considering buying here in sweden .. price is higher but less km's and the low speedlimits play in my favor.. This being said, i'd be looking at ones between 40'000km - 100'000km .. what do you guys believe the wear and tear on the engine be like, would it be better just to go with the 3.0 Tfsi instead ..!
Just looking for opinions, I have a good idea of a build i'd like to do with the V8.. which is why im stuck so much on that engine !!

jwm2k3
05-08-2014, 04:38 PM
Wear and tear on the engine? None.

Im a V8 guy all day long....so my vote is 4.2L

jaiS5
05-08-2014, 04:44 PM
have you had any major issues with your's Jwm2k3? .. how many miles so far? if u dont mind me asking

rmh
05-08-2014, 05:04 PM
In my experience, an Audi that has been worked and has been properly maintained, will go well into and above the 500,000km mark.
I track my Audis many time per season. I started out learning with my 2008 B7 A4 3.2L 6MT. 5000-6500 RPM power band is where I stayed while on the track and on one open track day put over 300 miles on it - only coming off of the track to re-fuel.

I was constantly checking for leaks and replacing oil and brake fluid due to what I put the car through. This is now my daily driver since I picked up a 2010 B8 S5 4.2L 6MT for track days (the A4 was holding me back as a driver). I do the same with the S5 as I did with the A4.

Maintain the car, not to the manufacturer service plan but to your own extended life maintenance schedule and either of the cars you mention will go for hundreds of thousands of kilometres.

So, my bottom line is this: get the car you want as long as the maintenance history meets your criteria.

jaiS5
05-08-2014, 05:20 PM
Thanks for the advice, yeah my a4 has 260k as of last week, yet to have a sound with the engine or a problem mechanically at all, was just hesitant dropping what i consider a large amount of money on a car with what i'd consider high mileage due to my past ownership of vehicles ...
In your experience with S5's is there any option I should avoid or even look for on a pre-used !! Do i lose out on power values choosing the v8 over the newer?

rmh
05-08-2014, 06:32 PM
I would personally advise that you do get the 6MT with the Audi rear sport differential.
The rear sport differential is what allows you to oversteer your quattro like a RWD if you so choose - it gives you the best of all worlds.

jaiS5
05-08-2014, 07:22 PM
Thanks all of u for the advice .. lots to choose from between here in sweden to germany .. leaning towards the swedish ones .. hoping I'll be able to find an orange one :)

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

bknewtype
05-09-2014, 06:02 AM
i dont see a v8 being any more problematic than a v6sc other than the carbon cleanup, which should only be done every xx,xxx miles or so, and even then, its only a couple hundred, at least here.

what are you going for? power or looks? are you modding?

v6sc is quicker than a v8, esp with a tune and bolt on mods. v8 is a dead end when it comes to power unless u throw a 15k supercharger in it. i am biased, i like the pre fl look way better, and love the v8 note, so that is my pick.

or you can have the best of both worlds, and get a pre fl cab with the v6sc :D

jaiS5
05-09-2014, 08:04 AM
Yeah I also am inlove with the pre fl.. truthfully i probably won't track the S5 i have a bike for the track .. mainly use the car for traveling between sweden and northern Norway .. and down to germany for vacations ... With the V8 build i was looking at the Apr supercharger, .. would like to do a clutch rebuild not sure which company ( which I'll inquire info hopefully from you folks) .. capristo exhaust system with remote.. definitely going to lower however haven't made up my mind if I want it stanced or simply dropped .. and sunk on vossen cv3 .. fitment would depend on the lowering .. also want to do a front light hid swap to red .. eventually do the rs5 front rear and skirt swap .. bbk .. If i cant find an orange pre FL .. than I'm going to chrome wrap orange with graphite black mirrors rims front lip rear varliace and a single 8 inch wide stripe from front lip to rear over passenger side ... if I enjoy the s5 as much as the test drives I've gone on ill probably sell the a4 & bike + other goodies to afford some mods obviously going with ecu exhaust clutch minor performance upgrades first ...
Big plans might take me a few years to complete but will happen

patmusk
05-09-2014, 12:04 PM
Sound and feel of N/A 4.2 V8. No brainer IMO.

jaiS5
05-09-2014, 12:05 PM
Yeah since everyone says V8 and i personally love the V8 model im goina go with that .. Thanks for the input everyone

GSS5
05-10-2014, 01:57 AM
objectively speaking, the v6t is a superior engine to the 4.2 v8. it's lighter, produces significantly more power and tq throughout the rev range (although audi doesn't seem to want to admit this..compare real life dyno results), it's more efficient, less prone to carbon buildup (i believe) and much more practical to extract power gains from. the only category it falls short in is sound. having had the v8 and now the v6t, i can't deny that the v6 s5 is much more enjoyable to drive. the torque and power are much more useable and the better weight distribution contributes to much improved handling characteristics. if you care about performance, the sound is a small sacrifice to make for the advantages that the v6t holds over the v8. besides, the v6t sounds pretty good in its own way.

with the v8 you have the sound. and the fact that it's a v8, which is a pretty rare commodity these days in german cars at that price point. even just for those reasons, the v8 s5 is an attractive buy.

when i had the v8 s5, i hated the idea of a v6 in a s5. but one back to back drive and i'm sure you'll be able to judge which suits your needs more. and don't forget about all the updated bits and pieces you get with a facelift model.

Beast
05-10-2014, 08:00 AM
You want to put in red headlights?

jaiS5
05-10-2014, 09:20 AM
Well the bulbs as a red on the oem heads there's a guy here with green ones in sweden and I've seen red on an rs5

bknewtype
05-10-2014, 09:38 AM
i hope ur not talkin about this POS

http://www.gtspirit.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/OSS-Designs-Audi-RS5.jpg

jaiS5
05-10-2014, 09:41 AM
i hope ur not talkin about this POS

http://www.gtspirit.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/OSS-Designs-Audi-RS5.jpg

Yeah that's one of the ones I've seen online .... you don't like that one bk?
I like the headlights personally

bknewtype
05-10-2014, 09:43 AM
Yeah that's one of the ones I've seen online .... you don't like that one bk?
I like the headlights personally

NO body likes them on this forum lol.

most people on this forums like clean, oem looks. it may be different from ur part of the world.

if u change the bulbs to red, visibility will be drastically reduced. thats gonna be a problem driving at night.

jaiS5
05-10-2014, 09:45 AM
objectively speaking, the v6t is a superior engine to the 4.2 v8. it's lighter, produces significantly more power and tq throughout the rev range (although audi doesn't seem to want to admit this..compare real life dyno results), it's more efficient, less prone to carbon buildup (i believe) and much more practical to extract power gains from. the only category it falls short in is sound. having had the v8 and now the v6t, i can't deny that the v6 s5 is much more enjoyable to drive. the torque and power are much more useable and the better weight distribution contributes to much improved handling characteristics. if you care about performance, the sound is a small sacrifice to make for the advantages that the v6t holds over the v8. besides, the v6t sounds pretty good in its own way.

with the v8 you have the sound. and the fact that it's a v8, which is a pretty rare commodity these days in german cars at that price point. even just for those reasons, the v8 s5 is an attractive buy.

when i had the v8 s5, i hated the idea of a v6 in a s5. but one back to back drive and i'm sure you'll be able to judge which suits your needs more. and don't forget about all the updated bits and pieces you get with a facelift model.

Thanks for the detailed explanation gs. .. i think one of the reasons I want the V8 so bad .. would be it would be the first V8 engine I've owned in a car and get to toy with .. guess the shitty part is having to sink more money into the V8 to compete with the 3.0t but in the end I'd have the car I want unique to my past experiences .. plus can't beat the sound i think ha ha .. but you made a great argument .. i figure im inclined to just pick up the V8 .. build it .. and see .. than maybe also grab a 3.0t later on .. maybe as the ''gfs car '' ha ha

jaiS5
05-10-2014, 09:48 AM
NO body likes them on this forum lol.

most people on this forums like clean, oem looks. it may be different from ur part of the world.

if u change the bulbs to red, visibility will be drastically reduced. thats gonna be a problem driving at night.

Truth spoken .. but I guess here's also a good thing for me that we have almost 24 hour sunlight here in sweden here in sunmer.. when i actually use the car the most would be & i dont think ill winter drive due to living on the coastline .. so the night lighting wouldn't be a problem .. but yeah i do like them

rmh
05-10-2014, 07:41 PM
I love all that extra daylight!

I lived in Fairbanks Alaska USA for a decade and regardless of the time one was on the road, headlights were not needed during certain months.

I spent many many evenings outside doing yard work or whatnot only to realize that Oh crap, I need to be at work in a few hours, because it felt like it was 8:00pm, when it was really like 1:00 or 2:00am...

jaiS5
05-11-2014, 02:48 AM
I love all that extra daylight!

I lived in Fairbanks Alaska USA for a decade and regardless of the time one was on the road, headlights were not needed during certain months.

I spent many many evenings outside doing yard work or whatnot only to realize that Oh crap, I need to be at work in a few hours, because it felt like it was 8:00pm, when it was really like 1:00 or 2:00am...

Yeah i got that too was really hard in the beginning because I wasn't used to the 24 sunlight .. now its not so bad . only thing that bothered me was passing out then the birds waking up at 2am- 3am lol .. so yeah I'm not sure if I'll touch my headlights or play with them .. alot of other mods i see mandatory first

elp_jc
05-13-2014, 11:49 AM
Related V8 question: Is the 2014 V8 still prone to carbon build-up? Most manufacturers already overcame that DI issue. Curious about Audi. I also need to find out if this car can be lifted from a central location both front and back (with a floor jack), and without need to remove anything, for ease of DIY maintenance. Will make sure of that before writing a check. Thx.