PDA

View Full Version : Problems after APR Stage III Supercharger Install

S5SC
04-22-2014, 01:03 PM
Hi everyone! Sorry for the long post! Newbie here from Guaynabo Puerto Rico. Iím just hoping to get some help and advice regarding my supercharger install.

I purchased my 2009 S5 4.2L V8 on 2011. It had only 9k miles on it. On December 2012 (warranty expired) I decided to bring the car to a local shop European Performance Enhancements (APR Authorized Dealer) for installation of the following: APR Stage III Supercharger, APR Cat-back Exhaust, and APR Carbonio Intake. Since, I already knew about the carbon buildup issue, I requested the installer to perform a carbon cleanup. After installation, Iím having random/multiple misfire and also misfire codes on each of the cylinders on cold start. The condition is so severe that the EPC lights on and ďcylinder disabledĒ code is set. I also have highly negative idle (approx. -1.8) and partial (approx. -16) long term fuel trim values.

Before the install the car had a little hesitation during cold starts but not enough to set any DTC. Since then I have found a few installation issues that I personally fixed (vacuum check valve installed in the wrong direction, vacuum line to the air box disconnected). These fixes solved a ďLeak Detection Pump Implausible SignalĒ code but did not fix the misfire problem.

I have contacted APR. One of their techs (Bronson Dixon) tried to troubleshoot the issues with me by phone. I sent him VAGCOM logs of WOT pulls. He said the log look ok. The only thing that caught his attention was that the ignition timing angle was bouncing back and forth. Following his recommendation I already replaced ignition coils and spark plugs. The last time I talked to the APR tech he said he did not know what my car had and his recommendation was to bring the car to an Audi tech. I told him an audi tech would not know anything about the supercharger. APR (didnít get the name) agreed to have a troubleshooting session with the installer. They said they would call me. Iím still waiting for that call since July last year.

I brought the car to a local audi tech and he thinks it could be a software issue (too rich) or a leaky injector, but before he starts disassembling the car he wanted me to look for information on the forums. Last time I went to the APR installer to change the program from 100 octane back to 91 octane I was side by side with him making sure the correct program was installed. Iíve searched a lot in the forums and find misfire issues but none related to APR supercharger software.

To avoid the check engine light I accelerate the car during cold start past 1k RPMs. Is it possible that when the installer did the carbon cleanup the injectors were damaged or clogged? I doubt it since the injector is inside the chamber and cleaning is done with the valves closed. Is it possible that here in PR the conditions would be that different that could mess up the fuel trim? When the codes are erased the car feels smoother and with more power. Other issues the car has are: Occasional misfire at sustained high RPMís, Engine speed exceeded transmission code, jerkiness, and leaky engine mounts but have not thrown a code yet.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

S5SC
04-22-2014, 01:14 PM
Forgot to mention the car has automatic transmission.

Steve_K
04-26-2014, 02:05 AM
Sorry to hear about your problems bud, I would take it back to the guys that did the install, you should have received some kind of warranty on the work, otherwise get in touch with (I think) Arin at APR.

Another question that you can ask is what type of carbon clean the guys did. Was it a chemical carbon clean, or walnut shell carbon clean? The latter is the best one as it cleans 100 times better as well as leaves no chemical residue, this has been proven time and time again. You should also inquire about what parts were replaced, as the gasket and seals should always be replaced either when removing the intake manifold for a carbon clean, or especially when fitting a supercharger, your manifold would have been replaced by the supercharger.

S5SC
05-01-2014, 12:04 PM
Thanks for the reply! I took it back to the installer but this guy is not a certified technician. He is just an arguably technically inclined person that just follows APR instructions. He does not even have a shop is just a house with an open garage and some tools. He has not shown any interest in resolving my issues. The carbon cleanup was the chemical type. He only sent me a picture of cylinder 1 cleaned. So I really don't know how good or bad the job was done. I'll ask him if the gaskets were replaced. But I already know what he is going to say, even if it is not true. Thanks!

Steve_K
05-02-2014, 02:05 AM
Thanks for the reply! I took it back to the installer but this guy is not a certified technician. He is just an arguably technically inclined person that just follows APR instructions. He does not even have a shop is just a house with an open garage and some tools. He has not shown any interest in resolving my issues. The carbon cleanup was the chemical type. He only sent me a picture of cylinder 1 cleaned. So I really don't know how good or bad the job was done. I'll ask him if the gaskets were replaced. But I already know what he is going to say, even if it is not true. Thanks!

Hey bud, so if this guy in his garage isn't keen on resolving your APR issues, I would suggest contacting APR directly and see what they can assist with. The only problem that I'm afraid you might have to deal with his that he is neither a certified technician, nor does it sound like he is APR approved. This is the issue of using a so called "backyard" mechanic and their garage.

As far as your carbon clean, the chemical type of clean does next to nothing for the V8 engine. Although it does clean to a certain degree, it's no way near as effective as the walnut shell blasting, which cleans up the carbon buildup so much better. Another thing that might be a problem is if your injectors were cleaned at the same time. There is a company local to me that does the walnut shell carbon clean and they always clean the injectors, which makes a huge difference.

I'm really sorry that there is nothing more I can advise at this time, apart from that you might need to cut your losses as far as the chemical carbon clean and just move on and get it done properly next time. The APR situation you might get some reprieve directly from APR, but you'll need to contact them directly with your issues.

Good luck.

S5SC
05-03-2014, 03:51 PM
Hey bud, so if this guy in his garage isn't keen on resolving your APR issues, I would suggest contacting APR directly and see what they can assist with. The only problem that I'm afraid you might have to deal with his that he is neither a certified technician, nor does it sound like he is APR approved. This is the issue of using a so called "backyard" mechanic and their garage.

As far as your carbon clean, the chemical type of clean does next to nothing for the V8 engine. Although it does clean to a certain degree, it's no way near as effective as the walnut shell blasting, which cleans up the carbon buildup so much better. Another thing that might be a problem is if your injectors were cleaned at the same time. There is a company local to me that does the walnut shell carbon clean and they always clean the injectors, which makes a huge difference.

I'm really sorry that there is nothing more I can advise at this time, apart from that you might need to cut your losses as far as the chemical carbon clean and just move on and get it done properly next time. The APR situation you might get some reprieve directly from APR, but you'll need to contact them directly with your issues.

Good luck.

Even though it does not seem like it, the installer is in fact an authorized APR dealer. It appears listed on their website. I did contact APR but did not receive the help I was expecting. They said the installation is the responsibility of the installer, which I can agree. I ask them how they authorize a business like this. They said the authorizations are based only on qualifications and interviews.

I think I'll give the audi tech, that I contacted lately, the go ahead to start disassembling the car and see what he finds and while he is at it, replace the engine mounts as well. I'll ask him if he can do the walnut shell blasting or knows someone that could do it. Thanks!