PDA

View Full Version : S5 vs RS5

Symko
04-06-2014, 06:35 PM
I would like to pose a question to all S5 and RS5 owners the like. I currently own a B8 S4 but when I purchased it I did not realize how much my wife wanted an S5 (she currently drives an '11 Q7 SLine TFSI). I like the S5 but we test drove the RS5 last week and really loved the growl of the V8. For me, the only place where the RS lacks is in the torque department but it will still move really well, especially once it gets moving. The speed/acceleration addiction is mine and not the wife's. I know that the RS5 is a limited production vehicle but depending the time of purchase I have no issue getting a CPO'd RS if it is optioned to our liking.

So getting to my question to both parties, even though you own each vehicle respectively which would you prefer if they were both available and difference in price was not a factor?

Price is not that far off between the two which I could justify.

Thanks in advance,

Dave

MichaelB1969
04-06-2014, 06:57 PM
I'm probably in a good position to answer this, since I owned a 2013 S4 for about 6 months, and now own a 2014 RS5. First of all, BOTH are GREAT cars, so no knock on the S4, but if price was not a factor, no contest. RS5 all the way.

The RS5 sounds amazing, handles better and is of course faster. The lack of low-end torque is the most overblown concern for the RS5. I bought into it after reading posts. However, after owning it for 5 or so months, I realize it was a silly concern. The RS5 is blindingly fast if you keep revs 4000 plus, which is ridiculously easy to do.

The run from 4,000rpm to 8,500rpm is addictive. So is the sound. While the S4 had great torque down low, I always felt that it was shifting just when things started to get interesting. Yes, I realize that it made sense to shift when it did performance- wise. But I LIKE the rush of top- end power. I missed it with my S4.

Also, I have taken corners at speeds I wouldn't have dared to with my S4. Whether the S4 could have done it or not, the RS5 just "feels" more buttoned down.

So if price was not a factor, my vote would be RS5 by a wide margin. I would so miss the sound of the V8 on downshift throttle blips!

Now, if price was a factor, it's tough to justify the extra $20K in terms of performance alone as the S4/S5 is a great performer to start.

For me, the RS5 is worth the extra money, but only because I value the sound of the V8 and I love the fact that it's a relatively rare car that you don't see too often. Combine that with the improved performance, and the total package is, to me, worth it. However, someone else could easily make the argument that it isn't. Comes down to what's important to you.

But again, you said price wasn't a factor. So if you don't mind getting worse gas mileage, RS5 is an easy decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dazed1
04-06-2014, 09:49 PM
After owning the RS5 for a year, my biggest gripe after sitting in my friends S4 for quite a while (and reason why I bought an Audi), the sunroof not completely opening :(

kongma
04-06-2014, 11:01 PM
I'm probably in a good position to answer this, since I owned a 2013 S4 for about 6 months, and now own a 2014 RS5. First of all, BOTH are GREAT cars, so no knock on the S4, but if price was not a factor, no contest. RS5 all the way.

The RS5 sounds amazing, handles better and is of course faster. The lack of low-end torque is the most overblown concern for the RS5. I bought into it after reading posts. However, after owning it for 5 or so months, I realize it was a silly concern. The RS5 is blindingly fast if you keep revs 4000 plus, which is ridiculously easy to do.

The run from 4,000rpm to 8,500rpm is addictive. So is the sound. While the S4 had great torque down low, I always felt that it was shifting just when things started to get interesting. Yes, I realize that it made sense to shift when it did performance- wise. But I LIKE the rush of top- end power. I missed it with my S4.

Also, I have taken corners at speeds I wouldn't have dared to with my S4. Whether the S4 could have done it or not, the RS5 just "feels" more buttoned down.

So if price was not a factor, my vote would be RS5 by a wide margin. I would so miss the sound of the V8 on downshift throttle blips!

Now, if price was a factor, it's tough to justify the extra $20K in terms of performance alone as the S4/S5 is a great performer to start.

For me, the RS5 is worth the extra money, but only because I value the sound of the V8 and I love the fact that it's a relatively rare car that you don't see too often. Combine that with the improved performance, and the total package is, to me, worth it. However, someone else could easily make the argument that it isn't. Comes down to what's important to you.

But again, you said price wasn't a factor. So if you don't mind getting worse gas mileage, RS5 is an easy decision.

Agreed on all accounts, especially the bolded parts. Owned a 2010 S4 for 4 years and just got into a 2014 RS5 last week. Pretty much everything Michael said is spot on. I test drove the RS5 thinking it wouldn't blow me away because of the low torque figure, but in all honestly the RS5 is in a completely different league compared to the S4.

Like Michael said, the high redline is very addictive. Not to mention the exhaust noise. Or the spoiler that comes up. I honestly have a tough time deciding on my favourite part of the car, and wouldn't hesitate on buying another RS5 over the S4/S5 if money was of no concern.

2011_S4
04-07-2014, 08:53 AM
I agree with all of the above comments, and also owned a B8 S4 prior to the RS. Low end torque on the 3.0 was great in the city for daily driving. The RS is good in the city as well, just have to adjust your driving style. Torque is lower at the bottom end with the RS but there's still plenty to get moving without issues. I was pleasantly surprised actually. V8 is obviously addictive, both in sound and get up and go as the revs increase.

Sometimes I miss the utility and back seats of the S4 but gladly gave that up for the other things the RS brings to the table (and have another vehicle to satisfy those requirements). Oddly enough, the sunroof thing mentioned above is actually fairly irritating but not a deal breaker.

I actually didn't want to give up my S4 but mileage was getting quite high and I had an opportunity to jump into the RS and took it (limited production, one of the last high revving V8s, etc). I'd make the same decision if I had to do it over again, loving the car so far.

superswiss
04-07-2014, 10:57 AM
Pretty much agree with what's been said. The whole TQ discussion largely comes from 6MT owners, who have never set foot in an RS5. In reality it is such a non-issue with the DSG, gearing and the free revving nature of the engine. With the DSG, one puts the engine into the power band faster than a 6MT driver can disengage the clutch. I totally get it from a 6MT perspective, but that's why the RS5 has a DSG with the mechatronic unit put on steroids.

Dfw007
04-07-2014, 01:12 PM
I will add a few items. I completely agree on the TQ thing as well, but that is also personal taste.

I think the decision is based on what you want to do with the car. If you want to drive around town and race from light to light with an occasional high speed on-ramp entry, go for the S5 and save your money. But, if you want a "unique" car (sort of, this is not a F40 Ferrari, but a limited production mass produced car) that is very luxurious with some cool visual effects coupled with a very capable track car, its the RS5 all the way. I own a RS5 and have test driven a S5 when I was in the buying process. I have also gone up against many A5/S5 cars on the track in the past few weeks. There is no comparison, tune or no tune. The RS5 with some small mods (brake lines, fluids and the alu kruez) is way better than the S5. The brakes are better, the transmission, the differential, etc. they all make a difference on the track. I also think that the RS5 will continue to take the beating that track days dish out quite well while the S5 may have issues and need lots of after market mods to catch up. Of course there is the price differential between the two and I preferred to have Audi Quattro build me a track ready car instead of trying to do it after market.

Symko
04-07-2014, 05:03 PM
Thanks all for the feedback. I am all but sold on the RS but we will see what happens. Like I mentioned earlier, we may not purchase early enough to get into a new RS but we will see. If not, I will be doing my homework to find a CPO'd RS.

I know that I will need to check with my insurance company but with the RS did any of you notice a large increase in insurance premiums? We are 2 adults, no kids around 40 with no tickets or points against us. The only reason that I was asking is that the RS is a little higher priced vehicle but was not sure if it would still be in the same tier with the likes of an S car or equivalent or if it would be up there with Porsche 911s, etc.

I will be contacting my insurance company within the next couple of days but just wanted to get some firsthand feedback.

Thanks again

Dfw007
04-07-2014, 05:33 PM
Thanks all for the feedback. I am all but sold on the RS but we will see what happens. Like I mentioned earlier, we may not purchase early enough to get into a new RS but we will see. If not, I will be doing my homework to find a CPO'd RS.

I know that I will need to check with my insurance company but with the RS did any of you notice a large increase in insurance premiums? We are 2 adults, no kids around 40 with no tickets or points against us. The only reason that I was asking is that the RS is a little higher priced vehicle but was not sure if it would still be in the same tier with the likes of an S car or equivalent or if it would be up there with Porsche 911s, etc.

I will be contacting my insurance company within the next couple of days but just wanted to get some firsthand feedback.

Thanks again
I did not come from an S5 to the RS5 but the insurance uptick between my IS350 and the RS5 went up what I thought was an appropriate amount based on the RS5 value. I think I am paying 1400 a year for the RS5 from State Farm.

2011_S4
04-08-2014, 07:06 AM
Not a large change in insurance going from a 2011 S4 to the 14 RS5 here. I was expecting more.

Symko
04-08-2014, 07:08 PM
I did not come from an S5 to the RS5 but the insurance uptick between my IS350 and the RS5 went up what I thought was an appropriate amount based on the RS5 value. I think I am paying 1400 a year for the RS5 from State Farm.

Not a large change in insurance going from a 2011 S4 to the 14 RS5 here. I was expecting more.

Good to know. Thanks guys

ExhaustNote
04-08-2014, 07:30 PM
My insurance only went up about $50 a month going from an 09 S5 to the 14 RS5.

rasetsu
04-17-2014, 09:58 AM
If I remember correctly, my insurance premium only went up a whopping $200 a year going from a 2006 G35 coupe to 2014 RS5. Mid-30s, married, no kids, three cars, clean records.

dgszweda
04-18-2014, 08:06 AM
The torque issue is way overblown. I have had a tuned S4 for quite some time and now an RS5 for the last 6 months. The RS5 is every bit as quick and most of the time quicker than my GIAC tuned S4. I am not sure where the concern is over the low end torque. The torque numbers are pretty close to the S4, but the hp is considerably higher. A lot of people will complain because of the "numbers" and what they have heard. As long as you are driving it like you should, the speed, push you back in your seat, acceleration is every bit as good. If all you are trying to do is lug around at 40mph at 1,500rpm in 7th gear, it may seem a bit sluggish, but that isn't how this car should be driven if you want to have fun. I love the look of the RS5, the feel, the driving dynamics, the power, the handling all significantly more than the B8 S4.

greenturbo
04-18-2014, 09:29 AM
After owning the RS5 for a year, my biggest gripe after sitting in my friends S4 for quite a while (and reason why I bought an Audi), the sunroof not completely opening :(

good god yes..i miss my sunroof full open

essfour
04-18-2014, 10:51 AM
good god yes..i miss my sunroof full open

I wish we had the option to delete the sunroof all together.

Symko
04-18-2014, 06:13 PM
My insurance only went up about $50 a month going from an 09 S5 to the 14 RS5.

If I remember correctly, my insurance premium only went up a whopping $200 a year going from a 2006 G35 coupe to 2014 RS5. Mid-30s, married, no kids, three cars, clean records.

I checked and my insurance won't increase all that much so it would really be a moot point for such a nice vehicle. I cannot say that I was surprised but I was. I thought that it would increase more than it would.

The torque issue is way overblown. I have had a tuned S4 for quite some time and now an RS5 for the last 6 months. The RS5 is every bit as quick and most of the time quicker than my GIAC tuned S4. I am not sure where the concern is over the low end torque. The torque numbers are pretty close to the S4, but the hp is considerably higher. A lot of people will complain because of the "numbers" and what they have heard. As long as you are driving it like you should, the speed, push you back in your seat, acceleration is every bit as good. If all you are trying to do is lug around at 40mph at 1,500rpm in 7th gear, it may seem a bit sluggish, but that isn't how this car should be driven if you want to have fun. I love the look of the RS5, the feel, the driving dynamics, the power, the handling all significantly more than the B8 S4.

I think that I pretty much agree with everything that you mentioned. When we test drove the RS, I did think that the torque was low compared to what I would prefer (maybe more in the range of 350-400 NA) but it was no slouch by any means. When you are ready to go just hammer it and as the RPMs increase it does begin to push you back into your seat. I love that feeling.

Brava
05-13-2014, 12:51 PM
RS5 is an animal. Plenty of torque.

I had an E92 M3 before, and before the M3 I had a 335i. The same overblown issue about the torque that is missing in M3, that you have it in 335i. I wasnt missing any torque in my M3, as I am not missing it now in the RS5.