PDA

View Full Version : JHM V8 S5 tune and high flow cat pipe review

ishmo
11-19-2013, 02:27 PM
Recently I took my car over to JHM to have some work done. I heard about the work they were doing on the V8 S5s and was intrigued. In total I had the following performance things done: tune, high flow cat pipe, carbon clean, and lightweight front rotors. Because I had all this done at once, it is a little hard to tell how much each thing added to performance. Overall, they work well together. The rotors added handling and the rest added to speed and acceleration. When I got my car back, it felt like a whole new beast.

Carbon clean and lightweight rotors are pretty self explanatory for gains. The carbon clean makes the engine run smoother, the rotors make me turn better. I would recommend both to anyone with buildup and in need of new rotors. I really feel like the V8 S5 is a great car but it feels very weak in the low end. Stock, it feels kind of fast and pretty tame. It is a great touring car, but it didn't quite have the pep I was looking for. My only mod before bringing it in was an AWE exhaust. It sounded great and made the car much more aggressive. I knew I had to get a tune to make the car more of what I wanted and heard JHM was working on one for my car and got in touch with them. I learned about their high flow cat pipe as well and what it would help with. Here is what I think.

High Flow Cat Pipe:
I am not too knowledgeable about the technicals of cars so this is kind of a new thing for me. I didn't want to go the test pipe route as I wanted to retain a cat. The one that JHM uses is high quality and very high flow. This means the performance of a cat pipe is close to performance and sound of a test pipe. The sound from the cat pipe is intoxicating. It really worked well with my exhaust. If you want it to be loud it is, if you want it to be quite it still is. My favorite part of the V8 S5 is letting off the throttle and hearing the barking from the exhaust. The cat pipe made this sound really nice :). Performance wise I can't comment directly. I do think it added something.

Tune:
The tune is what I was most excited for. There wasn't much information out about it so I was not sure what to expect. I heard other tunes were ok or blah, some people liked it but were not convinced it was worth it. I can say that the JHM tune makes the car extremely aggressive and addressed my issue of it being weak in the low end. The car really likes to go and it is quick! I have an automatic with drive select. I wasn't sure how the tune would work with the drive select. It is exactly what I wanted. In dynamic mode the car is a beast. No other way to describe it. In auto or comfort mode, the car is much more tame and not as loud. The tune does make it a little more aggressive in those modes but in a good way. If you do cruise control in any mode, the car tames itself as well. I am extremely happy with the tune. If you are on the fence about getting it done, do it!

Service:
I have to mention service quality. This is kind of big for me since I like to have a good relationship with the people who work on my car. Everybody from JHM was more than helpful. Like I mentioned before, I am not the most knowledgable about cars so I tend to ask a lot of questions. Dru and Jake were awesome about answering those. Keaton and Jay were awesome for helping work around my crazy hectic schedule. I had some other things that needed attention on the car and they worked to help sort it all out for me.

Conclusion:
At first I thought all I wanted was a carbon clean and tune. I'm glad I got the other items as well and they all worked very well together to make my S5 feel very aggressive and more of a sports car. If you're looking for a tune for your S5 I would recommend JHM. I know that JHM is coming out with/has a complete exhaust system (which sounds fantastic) and has the option for the high flow cat/test pipes. If you want the most performance and an aggressive sound I would recommend the cat pipes or test pipes.

-ishmo

Jake@JHM
11-19-2013, 02:35 PM
We are glad you are happy! Thanks for the review! [up]

Jake

Steve_K
11-20-2013, 02:29 AM
Hi ishmo, that's a great write-up and testament to JHM, I'm sure they appreciate it. Maybe you could post some video with sound of your car after the updates, would really love to hear it. A GoPro works well for this, if you have one.

@Jake, if only you guys had a dealer in Cape Town, there's lots of Audi V8 muscle around here and not too many places we can take it for something like ishmo has done.

Sorry to hijack your post ishmo, but thought I'd add something that a buddy of mine in Cape Town has done with his B6 S4 Avant. This V8 beast has the JHM S4 headers, the JHM short Throw Shifter and lightweight flywheel and clutch to go on soon. I filmed this with my GoPro, just listen to the roar!

http://youtu.be/1l8eLg10nFA

http://youtu.be/StBcfNnSh1c

rico89
11-23-2013, 01:12 AM
Recently I took my car over to JHM to have some work done. I heard about the work they were doing on the V8 S5s and was intrigued. In total I had the following performance things done: tune, high flow cat pipe, carbon clean, and lightweight front rotors. Because I had all this done at once, it is a little hard to tell how much each thing added to performance. Overall, they work well together. The rotors added handling and the rest added to speed and acceleration. When I got my car back, it felt like a whole new beast.

Carbon clean and lightweight rotors are pretty self explanatory for gains. The carbon clean makes the engine run smoother, the rotors make me turn better. I would recommend both to anyone with buildup and in need of new rotors. I really feel like the V8 S5 is a great car but it feels very weak in the low end. Stock, it feels kind of fast and pretty tame. It is a great touring car, but it didn't quite have the pep I was looking for. My only mod before bringing it in was an AWE exhaust. It sounded great and made the car much more aggressive. I knew I had to get a tune to make the car more of what I wanted and heard JHM was working on one for my car and got in touch with them. I learned about their high flow cat pipe as well and what it would help with. Here is what I think.

High Flow Cat Pipe:
I am not too knowledgeable about the technicals of cars so this is kind of a new thing for me. I didn't want to go the test pipe route as I wanted to retain a cat. The one that JHM uses is high quality and very high flow. This means the performance of a cat pipe is close to performance and sound of a test pipe. The sound from the cat pipe is intoxicating. It really worked well with my exhaust. If you want it to be loud it is, if you want it to be quite it still is. My favorite part of the V8 S5 is letting off the throttle and hearing the barking from the exhaust. The cat pipe made this sound really nice :). Performance wise I can't comment directly. I do think it added something.

Tune:
The tune is what I was most excited for. There wasn't much information out about it so I was not sure what to expect. I heard other tunes were ok or blah, some people liked it but were not convinced it was worth it. I can say that the JHM tune makes the car extremely aggressive and addressed my issue of it being weak in the low end. The car really likes to go and it is quick! I have an automatic with drive select. I wasn't sure how the tune would work with the drive select. It is exactly what I wanted. In dynamic mode the car is a beast. No other way to describe it. In auto or comfort mode, the car is much more tame and not as loud. The tune does make it a little more aggressive in those modes but in a good way. If you do cruise control in any mode, the car tames itself as well. I am extremely happy with the tune. If you are on the fence about getting it done, do it!

Service:
I have to mention service quality. This is kind of big for me since I like to have a good relationship with the people who work on my car. Everybody from JHM was more than helpful. Like I mentioned before, I am not the most knowledgable about cars so I tend to ask a lot of questions. Dru and Jake were awesome about answering those. Keaton and Jay were awesome for helping work around my crazy hectic schedule. I had some other things that needed attention on the car and they worked to help sort it all out for me.

Conclusion:
At first I thought all I wanted was a carbon clean and tune. I'm glad I got the other items as well and they all worked very well together to make my S5 feel very aggressive and more of a sports car. If you're looking for a tune for your S5 I would recommend JHM. I know that JHM is coming out with/has a complete exhaust system (which sounds fantastic) and has the option for the high flow cat/test pipes. If you want the most performance and an aggressive sound I would recommend the cat pipes or test pipes.

-ishmo

I do have an MT and feel the same way about the low end.

When you say tune, do you mean a software management update like APR Tune for instance?

Not sure does AWE come with high flow Cat? If not is it easy to install the JHM high flow cat pipes, how much does it change the AWE exhaust sound?

Any drone in lower rpm with a higher gear?

Thanks

mmmham
11-23-2013, 08:32 PM
^ +1

Also, Jake, customer mentioned much improved lower end but he has Auto, would a tune on the 6MT have the same amount of improvement as the Auto?

ishmo
11-23-2013, 08:40 PM

When you say tune, do you mean a software management update like APR Tune for instance?

Not sure does AWE come with high flow Cat? If not is it easy to install the JHM high flow cat pipes, how much does it change the AWE exhaust sound?

Thanks

Yes it is an ECU tune like APR, GIAC, etc. AWE exhaust systems do not touch the cats. The S5 has a cat pipe that connects to the exhaust system. This exhaust system is composed of the downpipe and exhaust.

There wasn't any drone than normal. It was pretty quiet in the low rpms until I changed my downpipes.

Here is a video of the setup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOBfxnVuw3U

ishmo
11-23-2013, 08:45 PM
^ +1

Also, Jake, customer mentioned much improved lower end but he has Auto, would a tune on the 6MT have the same amount of improvement as the Auto?

Jason has it in his S5 which is MT. I was in it and it definitely pulled way harder than stock. I have a launch video. Kind of hard to get an idea but the launch was pretty hard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBRH8mXDOMc

rico89
11-23-2013, 10:08 PM
Would be interested to complement it with my AWE track exhaust, how much would it run abouts for parts and labor?

I do have the APR tune already so would the cat pipe change the low end significantly? Thanks

Jake@JHM
11-25-2013, 11:34 AM
Hi ishmo, that's a great write-up and testament to JHM, I'm sure they appreciate it. Maybe you could post some video with sound of your car after the updates, would really love to hear it. A GoPro works well for this, if you have one.

@Jake, if only you guys had a dealer in Cape Town, there's lots of Audi V8 muscle around here and not too many places we can take it for something like ishmo has done.

Sorry to hijack your post ishmo, but thought I'd add something that a buddy of mine in Cape Town has done with his B6 S4 Avant. This V8 beast has the JHM S4 headers, the JHM short Throw Shifter and lightweight flywheel and clutch to go on soon. I filmed this with my GoPro, just listen to the roar!

http://youtu.be/1l8eLg10nFA

http://youtu.be/StBcfNnSh1c

Nice! We are currently working on setting up dealers all over the globe. Sooner or later we will have something in your area!

Thanks

With our tuning you will notice a HUGE difference especially when coupled with our HFC/Cat pipes or Cat-less Test Pipes. The installation of these pipes aren't too bad on a manual transmission if you can get the car in the air.

^ +1

Yes! Our tuning will make a significant difference!

Jake

rico89
11-25-2013, 02:33 PM
Couldn't find details on the tune on the website. Can you give details of how much gains are with a stage 2 4.2. How much is the tune going for? Any special on it. Do we have to send in the ECU?

Thanks

32spoke
11-25-2013, 08:32 PM
ishmo,
are you in San Jose, CA?
how is the partial throttle depression? is the engine more "on/off" compared to what it used to be, is it the same in all three drive modes?

ishmo
11-25-2013, 08:52 PM
ishmo,
are you in San Jose, CA?
how is the partial throttle depression? is the engine more "on/off" compared to what it used to be, is it the same in all three drive modes?

Yep San Jose, CA. By partial throttle depression do you mean how much pep does it have? It likes to go. The different modes are completely different. If I want to be quiet and smooth then I stick it in comfort. I have my car set to start in dynamic mode so I am usually in that. The engine is definitely more responsive too. I really like how the tune brought out more power in the low end.

psiaddict85
12-01-2013, 10:55 PM
When will the tune/HFCs be available? More info on both? I've been asking about info on the tune in the other JHM thread for months and it just keeps getting ignored.

JimmyBones
12-02-2013, 07:31 AM
Call and talk to the guys at JHM. Their phone number is 209-968-0077.

I don't see the tune on the website yet but if you call then they can probably hook you up.

Here is a link for the catpipes: http://jhmotorsports.com/shop/catalog/exhaust-cat-pipes-stainless-steel-25-jhm-for-b8-s5-42l-fsi-32v-p-1790.html?cPath=21_276_277_321

Or they have the catless test pipes here: http://jhmotorsports.com/shop/catalog/exhaust-test-pipes-stainless-steel-25-jhm-for-b8-s5-42l-fsi-32v-p-1789.html?cPath=21_276_277_321

Jake@JHM
12-02-2013, 10:54 AM
When will the tune/HFCs be available? More info on both? I've been asking about info on the tune in the other JHM thread for months and it just keeps getting ignored.

The tuning is currently being finalized for all ECU types so our customers will be able to just show up at one of our flashing dealers and get the tune hassle free. We are working as fast as we can on this and do not have an exact ETA when the tuning will be officially released. If you email Sales@JHMotorsports.com they will ask you some information on your S5 to see if we have a file ready for you are not. If a file isn't ready, we can work with you on getting one made for your car!

Like Jimmy said, we have already released our JHM Cat-pipes and Test-pipes!

I don't see the tune on the website yet but if you call then they can probably hook you up.

Here is a link for the catpipes: http://jhmotorsports.com/shop/catalog/exhaust-cat-pipes-stainless-steel-25-jhm-for-b8-s5-42l-fsi-32v-p-1790.html?cPath=21_276_277_321

Or they have the catless test pipes here: http://jhmotorsports.com/shop/catalog/exhaust-test-pipes-stainless-steel-25-jhm-for-b8-s5-42l-fsi-32v-p-1789.html?cPath=21_276_277_321

Thanks man!

Jake

ishmo
12-21-2013, 08:15 AM
People have been messaging me about the cat pipes and tune. Here is a little update to answer some of the questions.

So I don't usually hear my car from the outside. Yesterday I was at JHM and could hear a car drive by a few times when it was test driven (I was inside the building). I kept thinking damn they have some nice sounding cars here... I kept forgetting that was MY car! Cat pipes/test pipes are definitely worth it. I can't comment directly as to the difference in feel because I had multiple performance parts/service done at once. What I can tell you is the difference in sound for me is fantastic and well worth it. When you have the parts installed, go to a reputable place. Obviously, if you can make it to JHM to have them installed then go that route. I've gotten hugely inflated estimates from some shops local to me for some minor things related to exhaust.

Another big question is: do I get drone? I installed non res downpipes shortly after cat pipe install... Drone is not a concern to me as much as others. I will say that I don't remember getting drone with my stock res DPs which is why I felt fine getting the non res DPs. I love my exhaust setup... but I am considering changing to a JHM setup in the future!

On to the tune! I guess the best way to describe this is to compare it with something. I had the opportunity to drive a S5 almost identical to mine but with the GIAC tune. I personally thought the car felt closer to stock than anything. Even in dynamic, the car felt very reserved. I think there was a carbon clean performed shortly after but I couldn't imagine an impressive difference. I had a loaner 2014 S4 for a few days from the stealership. When I got my car back, I forgot how eager it was to go! The V6 had better low end than my car stock. With my car tuned, I feel I have better power delivery in all ranges. The S5 is kind of complicated when it comes to tuning. There are different models revisions that a tune has to be developed for so contact JHM with specific questions.

-ishmo

psiaddict85
12-24-2013, 09:56 AM

Links no longer work?

Jake@JHM
12-24-2013, 10:27 AM
Links no longer work?

Clear your Vehicle and try again.

mmmham
12-25-2013, 02:44 AM
People have been messaging me about the cat pipes and tune. Here is a little update to answer some of the questions.

So I don't usually hear my car from the outside. Yesterday I was at JHM and could hear a car drive by a few times when it was test driven (I was inside the building). I kept thinking damn they have some nice sounding cars here... I kept forgetting that was MY car! Cat pipes/test pipes are definitely worth it. I can't comment directly as to the difference in feel because I had multiple performance parts/service done at once. What I can tell you is the difference in sound for me is fantastic and well worth it. When you have the parts installed, go to a reputable place. Obviously, if you can make it to JHM to have them installed then go that route. I've gotten hugely inflated estimates from some shops local to me for some minor things related to exhaust.

Another big question is: do I get drone? I installed non res downpipes shortly after cat pipe install... Drone is not a concern to me as much as others. I will say that I don't remember getting drone with my stock res DPs which is why I felt fine getting the non res DPs. I love my exhaust setup... but I am considering changing to a JHM setup in the future!

On to the tune! I guess the best way to describe this is to compare it with something. I had the opportunity to drive a S5 almost identical to mine but with the GIAC tune. I personally thought the car felt closer to stock than anything. Even in dynamic, the car felt very reserved. I think there was a carbon clean performed shortly after but I couldn't imagine an impressive difference. had a loaner 2014 S4 for a few days from the stealership. When I got my car back, I forgot how eager it was to go! The V6 had better low end than my car stock. With my car tuned, I feel I have better power delivery in all ranges. The S5 is kind of complicated when it comes to tuning. There are different models revisions that a tune has to be developed for so contact JHM with specific questions.

-ishmo

Are you saying that after the JHM tune the difference is so significant , that the V8 went from less low end pull compared to the S4 V6T (stock I assume) to more low end pull than the S4 V6T?

Just want to clarify because I love how much the V6T pulls!

psiaddict85
12-25-2013, 11:16 PM
Clear your Vehicle and try again.

Seems to have worked. How long is the sale running for?

chrissurfr
01-01-2014, 01:23 AM
any catless downpipes for rs5 coming soon? i need some flames coming out the back lol

Jake@JHM
01-01-2014, 01:26 AM
You are better off gutting your cats because your header/cat is one piece.

chrissurfr
01-01-2014, 08:29 AM
in that case....any jhm headers coming out for the rs5 soon? [:D]

ishmo
01-10-2014, 11:27 AM
Are you saying that after the JHM tune the difference is so significant , that the V8 went from less low end pull compared to the S4 V6T (stock I assume) to more low end pull than the S4 V6T?

Just want to clarify because I love how much the V6T pulls!

Yes that's how I felt... but I am not sure if the sound of the exhaust setup makes me think I am going faster. I would be interested in seeing how my car compares in a 1/4 mile.

Jake@JHM
01-10-2014, 11:42 AM
Your car is definitely faster than before! [up]

Steve_K
01-13-2014, 02:12 AM
Dammit Jake, I'm really looking forward to a JHM dealer in Cape Town!!!

Jake@JHM
01-13-2014, 10:22 AM
Dammit Jake, I'm really looking forward to a JHM dealer in Cape Town!!!

If you know of any great shops in the area that may be interested, please feel free to recommend them to us!

flyfishing
01-25-2014, 03:27 PM
There needs to be an Austin shop b/c I want the S5 tune. My shop says he's called a couple times, but no one answered. You should call them and ask for Mike: http://brinkmotorsports.com/

ishmo
03-11-2014, 11:47 AM
I seem to only check my posts when I am at JHM haha. flyfishing, they always are picking up the phones when I am here. I hope your shop got in touch with them. I don't think the tune is officially out yet though.

-ishmo

GlazierGlaze
05-15-2014, 10:41 PM
I'm interested in how the high flow cat pipe would sound with AWE's track exhaust and non-res downpipes. I've already got the downpipes, and will be purchasing the exhaust catback over summer. Perhaps I should add the JHM high flow cat pipes into the mix as well? Maybe get some gains out of it and a bit more loud to scare people in tunnels? [evilsmile]

Consider it added to my build list if...

Will these flag the car for TD1?
Will the car still pass emissions?

1SickS5
05-15-2014, 10:52 PM
Sounds epic!
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/587429-AWE-JHM-Epic-%28videos%29

I'm interested in how the high flow cat pipe would sound with AWE's track exhaust and non-res downpipes. I've already got the downpipes, and will be purchasing the exhaust catback over summer. Perhaps I should add the JHM high flow cat pipes into the mix as well? Maybe get some gains out of it and a bit more loud to scare people in tunnels? [evilsmile]

Consider it added to my build list if...

Will these flag the car for TD1?
Will the car still pass emissions?

GlazierGlaze
05-16-2014, 11:42 AM
Slick did you get TD1 flag for this? Emissions problems?

AndrewPr33tz
07-02-2014, 08:27 PM
Slick did you get TD1 flag for this? Emissions problems?

BUMP

curious about this as well, as I'm looking to get this tune done to my 2012 V8 S5 (has tiptronic) and I just ordered the AWE Touring Exhaust (stock downpipes)

1SickS5
07-02-2014, 08:39 PM
I did get a check engine light due to the 02 sensor reading. I think the tune is supposed to fix this but there's an issue with my car specifically I guess, which is currently being resolved. JHM can probably provide more insight into this than I can.

AndrewPr33tz
07-02-2014, 08:42 PM
Check engine light for what? Sorry, you said the 'tune is supposed to fix this' - meaning you already have the tune?

1SickS5
07-02-2014, 08:56 PM
Check engine light for what? Sorry, you said the 'tune is supposed to fix this' - meaning you already have the tune?
It's from the 02 sensors getting lower then normal readings. I was told that once I got the tune, these would be cleared. I did get the tune a few days after I got the pipes installed, however the CEL would still come on and off. So JHM said there was an issue with my car specifically after reviewing the logs. My car is actually at Raven right now geting this all sorted out. JHM has a new update for my tune and also a fix on the pipes, which should hopefully resolve this. That's all I know so hopefully they will chime in here.

timlog123
07-29-2014, 09:11 AM
It's from the 02 sensors getting lower then normal readings. I was told that once I got the tune, these would be cleared. I did get the tune a few days after I got the pipes installed, however the CEL would still come on and off. So JHM said there was an issue with my car specifically after reviewing the logs. My car is actually at Raven right now geting this all sorted out. JHM has a new update for my tune and also a fix on the pipes, which should hopefully resolve this. That's all I know so hopefully they will chime in here.

They removed the HFC and test pipes from the website.

1SickS5
07-29-2014, 09:27 AM
So after 3 weeks, I got the car back with an "updated tune" and "modified pipes" which was supposed to fix all the issues I am having. However, I still continue to have these issues with the CEL and EPC light, nothing has changed....

timlog123
07-29-2014, 10:28 AM
So after 3 weeks, I got the car back with an "updated tune" and "modified pipes" which was supposed to fix all the issues I am having. However, I still continue to have these issues with the CEL and EPC light, nothing has changed....

Well that's sucks. Hopefully they eventually work it out. I guess that's why they pulled them off the site. Glad I didn't buy yet.

Jake@JHM
07-29-2014, 10:34 AM
Like I said to you and your shop, we are doing everything we can to fix this issue. It isn't easy trying to fix an issue on a car that is not at our shop to log and work on as needed, so we ask you to hang in there and we will get to the bottom of it. Like I have said to you multiple times, out of the handful of people who already have our tuning AND Cat pipes, you are the only one who is experiencing any sort of issues, which is very frustrating and confusing at the same time. We are doing everything we can to resolve this issue.

We removed the pipes from our website to make sure nobody else gets this issue, even though we have sold a lot of cat pipes and test pipes and nobody else has the issue.

timlog123
07-29-2014, 10:35 AM
Like I said to you and your shop, we are doing everything we can to fix this issue. It isn't easy trying to fix an issue on a car that is not at our shop to log and work on as needed, so we ask you to hang in there and we will get to the bottom of it. Like I have said to you multiple times, out of the handful of people who already have our tuning AND Cat pipes, you are the only one who is experiencing any sort of issues, which is very frustrating and confusing at the same time. We are doing everything we can to resolve this issue.

Just to confirm, the cats and test pipes were removed, correct?

Jake@JHM
07-29-2014, 10:44 AM
Just to confirm, the cats and test pipes were removed, correct?

From the website? Yeah. You quoted my post before I finished updating it.

timlog123
07-29-2014, 11:04 AM
We removed the pipes from our website to make sure nobody else gets this issue, even though we have sold a lot of cat pipes and test pipes and nobody else has the issue.

Maybe its just my own perception but if you're claiming that 1SickS5 is the ONLY one with an issue then why remove them? By removing them from the website you're contradicting what you've said.

I don't mean this in any negative or rude way. Just my observation. I'm just annoyed too cause I wanted those damn things. [:/]

Jake@JHM
07-29-2014, 11:09 AM
Maybe its just my own perception but if you're claiming that 1SickS5 is the ONLY one with an issue then why remove them? By removing them from the website you're contradicting what you've said.

No I didn't. he IS the only person with an issue thus far and we have sold quite a few sets. However, we would rather NOT make sales on a product until we figure out what this issue could be. The issue may be isolated to something with his car or it may not, we wan't to be sure.

1SickS5
08-15-2014, 04:55 PM

So any update? It's been a couple weeks now and I haven't heard back and still have all the issues. What specifically is being done to 'resolve this'?

1SickS5
08-28-2014, 10:08 PM
1 month now and absolutely no reply or updates from JHM [down][down]

Jake@JHM
08-28-2014, 10:13 PM

We have another file almost finished. We greatly appreciate your patience [up]

1SickS5
08-28-2014, 10:19 PM
Just curious, how are you solving these issues without my car there? You mentioned my car is the "ONLY" car with these issues.

Jake@JHM
08-28-2014, 10:31 PM
We have been able to replicate the codes and we are working on it. Don't worry, we will have a solution. Please be patient.

Steve_K
08-29-2014, 01:45 AM

Hey Bud, no offence, but just relax. I have no doubt that Jake and the rest of the JHM guys are working their butt's off to try and resolve your problem. I have dealt with Jake on a limited basis and a friend of mine here in South Africa has spent a huge amount of money with JHM for parts on his '04 S4 Avant, and I've heard nothing but good things about them. Just chill and let JHM find a solution for you, if they say they'll sort you out, they WILL!! [;)]

1SickS5
08-29-2014, 12:35 PM
Hey Bud, no offence, but just relax. I have no doubt that Jake and the rest of the JHM guys are working their butt's off to try and resolve your problem. I have dealt with Jake on a limited basis and a friend of mine here in South Africa has spent a huge amount of money with JHM for parts on his '04 S4 Avant, and I've heard nothing but good things about them. Just chill and let JHM find a solution for you, if they say they'll sort you out, they WILL!! [;)]

I've gone back and forth multiple times now through multiple flashes, I was told each time that it would 'fix' the issues I've been having which clearly it hasn't. I understand things happen and they may not go as planned but this has been an ongoing issue since I initially received the flash almost 6 months ago, so it's safe to say that I have been nothing but patient and have been pretty quiet about it here as well. It gets frustrating each time I have to take the car in expecting a solution only to realize nothing has changed, especially the last time where I had to remove the pipes and send it back to them so that they can modify them. I've wasted enough time with this now.

Jake@JHM
08-29-2014, 12:46 PM
I've gone back and forth multiple times now through multiple flashes, I was told each time that it would 'fix' the issues I've been having which clearly it hasn't. I understand things happen and they may not go as planned but this has been an ongoing issue since I initially received the flash almost 6 months ago, so it's safe to say that I have been nothing but patient. It gets frustrating each time I have to take the car in expecting a solution only to realize nothing has changed, especially the last time where I had to remove the pipes and send it back to them so that they can modify them. I've wasted enough time with this now.

You can blame Audi for this, since it has to do with their random ECU update that they flashed on to peoples S5. We went out and bought another ECU and brought the car to a dealership to have them update so we can learn more about these o2 codes.

This issue is only an annoyance, and does not effect your vehicle in ANY way. You are NOT limited to how you can drive your car. I apologize that you have to see the CEL while we are working on a solution for you.

This update was just Audi's way of fighting back to people who are modifying their car. We are working on this issue. We are NOT going to just blow you off. We WILL have a solution for you.

1SickS5
08-29-2014, 01:02 PM
When was this ECU update released?
At first you were saying my car was the only one with these issues, so are you saying these issues are happening on other S5's too now (the ones that have the ECU update)?

I have the CEL and EPC light and can't use the cruise control without the car going into limp mode. Last time this happened I was on the freeway and lost all power and had to pull over (not very safe).

You can blame Audi for this, since it has to do with their random ECU update that they flashed on to peoples S5. We went out and bought another ECU and brought the car to a dealership to have them update so we can learn more about these o2 codes.

This issue is only an annoyance, and does not effect your vehicle in ANY way. You are NOT limited to how you can drive your car. I apologize that you have to see the CEL while we are working on a solution for you.

This update was just Audi's way of fighting back to people who are modifying their car. We are working on this issue. We are NOT going to just blow you off. We WILL have a solution for you.

Jake@JHM
08-29-2014, 01:04 PM
When was this ECU update released?
At first you were saying my car was the only one with these issues, so are you saying these issues are happening on other S5's too now (the ones that have the ECU update)?

I have the CEL and EPC light and can't use the cruise control without the car going into limp mode. Last time this happened I was on the freeway and lost all power and had to pull over (not very safe).

According to your shop who we are working with, they said that the EPC light error isn't happening? So are you confirming that this really is still happening?

I said that WE have been able to replicate this.

Also, please email me directly. It appears going back and forth through a third part is causing information to be lost.

Jake@JHMotorsports.com

Jake

1SickS5
08-29-2014, 01:09 PM
I never said it's not happening. I event sent them logs which you also have that should show this.
Emailing you now so you have my email.

When was the ECU update released?

According to your shop who we are working with, they said that the EPC light error isn't happening? So are you confirming that this really is still happening?

I said that WE have been able to replicate this.

Also, please email me directly. It appears going back and forth through a third part is causing information to be lost.

Jake@JHMotorsports.com

Jake

GlazierGlaze
10-20-2014, 02:02 PM
Did this get resolved?

DreDay
10-20-2014, 02:09 PM
Did this get resolved?

+1… I didn't want to be the one to ask but.. LOL

Jake@JHM
10-20-2014, 02:13 PM
Yes, we have figured out the issue and made a resolution!

1SickS5
10-20-2014, 06:53 PM
Did this get resolved?

+1… I didn't want to be the one to ask but.. LOL

They have sent new pipes to replace the ones I currently have along with an updated tune. I haven't had a chance to install them yet, but hopefully it should resolve this.

Beast
10-20-2014, 07:21 PM
need some for the RS5

DreDay
10-21-2014, 01:31 PM
Cool! Let us know how they work out!

Jatt916
10-21-2014, 01:38 PM
I also had an EPC and CEL came on last week on my S5 (2011). Every time I pushed hard on gas, felt a lot of loss of power and car felt like it was going to shut down on me. Drove ok if not pushed hard. I called Dru to ask if this has anything to do with my mods by them, which it is not, per dru.

Dropped off my S5 at Dealers yesterday as it is still under factory warranty. Got a call from them today saying that it's Engine pressure valve (if I heard it right) and they are going to replace it and test. I asked them if they think it's cuz of carbon build up but they think it's more to do with valve and they don't think carbon build up has much to do with it.

Let's see how it feels once I get it back.

By the way, my service advisor asked me where I got my exhaust system from as he thought it was the best one they saw ever. I repped JHM there. He said the wielding work is work of art and he has never seen any other system like that.

So here's my JHM review :)

Hopefully everything is fine with my S5.

Jatt916
10-21-2014, 01:40 PM
Sorry, Dru at JHM.

1SickS5
10-21-2014, 11:30 PM
I also had an EPC and CEL came on last week on my S5 (2011). Every time I pushed hard on gas, felt a lot of loss of power and car felt like it was going to shut down on me. Drove ok if not pushed hard. I called Dru to ask if this has anything to do with my mods by them, which it is not, per dru.

Dropped off my S5 at Dealers yesterday as it is still under factory warranty. Got a call from them today saying that it's Engine pressure valve (if I heard it right) and they are going to replace it and test. I asked them if they think it's cuz of carbon build up but they think it's more to do with valve and they don't think carbon build up has much to do with it.

Let's see how it feels once I get it back.

By the way, my service advisor asked me where I got my exhaust system from as he thought it was the best one they saw ever. I repped JHM there. He said the wielding work is work of art and he has never seen any other system like that.

So here's my JHM review :)

Hopefully everything is fine with my S5.

Odd - I started getting an EPC light coincidentally right after I installed the pipes/tune. My car also ran like crap randomly. Turns out my one of my camshaft position sensors went bad? I replaced it and haven't seen the EPC light since.

1SickS5
11-16-2014, 11:37 AM
They have sent new pipes to replace the ones I currently have along with an updated tune. I haven't had a chance to install them yet, but hopefully it should resolve this.
So I finally got a chance to get the new pipes in along with the new tune. CEL still there....

Such a headache (going back and forth with "solutions" that don't work).

Sent via mobile.

Jake@JHM
11-16-2014, 11:56 AM
Can you send me a code readout??

1SickS5
11-17-2014, 11:12 AM
Can you send me a code readout??
Emailed.

Sent via mobile.

Jake@JHM
11-17-2014, 11:47 AM
Emailed.

Sent via mobile.

Thanks [up]

wxsgt
04-07-2015, 02:59 PM
Any word on the high flow cats?? really like the sound they give, but they were removed from the site

Scottydogg22
04-18-2015, 07:49 PM
I want these pipes and the tune as well!!! There is a dealer shop right close to me in Rochester, NY that I believe I could have it done at if I can acquire these pipes!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GlazierGlaze
05-05-2015, 11:27 AM
Bump, what happened with this?

Jake@JHM
05-05-2015, 11:30 AM
Bump, what happened with this?

Software is available for the most part, we just haven't officially released it yet. We are working on having files ready for all box codes and for those with dealer updates. If you are interested in getting the software shoot us an email to Sales@JHMotorsports.com!

wxsgt
05-05-2015, 11:32 AM
Software is available for the most part, we just haven't officially released it yet. We are working on having files ready for all box codes and for those with dealer updates. If you are interested in getting the software shoot us an email to Sales@JHMotorsports.com!
What about the high flow cats? Your site only lists the test pipes now

Jake@JHM
05-05-2015, 11:37 AM
What about the high flow cats? Your site only lists the test pipes now

Making some updates to them, they will be up again soon [up]

wxsgt
05-05-2015, 11:39 AM
Cool thanks

SDS
05-30-2015, 08:55 PM
I had my catless pipes and 93 octane tune installed this week. Can't really tell about a power increase.......didn't dyno before and after, but it feels pretty stout. It's definitely louder :-)

Canadianwraith
06-14-2015, 05:27 PM
So is there a tune now? Talked a bit to thenewbruno and he said he got a JHM tune but I'm still not seeing anything on their site

Jake@JHM
06-15-2015, 10:52 AM
There is software available for almost all 4.2 S5 box codes now, so if you go to one of our dealers they should be able to flash you. If you happen to have an ECU we have not seen, we will build it for you!

DJPardy
06-17-2015, 09:57 PM
If you know of any great shops in the area that may be interested, please feel free to recommend them to us!

Marc @ EFI Express in Lee, NH. He does alot of impressive 1-off things with the older 5 cyl.s. And has his own chassis dyno. I'd recommend him to anyone.

tekkai
01-17-2018, 04:39 PM
Nice! We are currently working on setting up dealers all over the globe. Sooner or later we will have something in your area!

With our tuning you will notice a HUGE difference especially when coupled with our HFC/Cat pipes or Cat-less Test Pipes. The installation of these pipes aren't too bad on a manual transmission if you can get the car in the air.

Yes! Our tuning will make a significant difference!

Jake

Hey Jake, I'm interested in getting the race pipes for my 2010 Manual S5 but I just wanted t gleam some insight into the install. You mentioned that the install was easier with the manual transmission.

Jake@JHM
01-17-2018, 04:40 PM
Hey Jake, I'm interested in getting the race pipes for my 2010 Manual S5 but I just wanted t gleam some insight into the install. You mentioned that the install was easier with the manual transmission.

Yea there is more room to get your hands/arms in there vs the larger automatic transmission

Sazexa
01-17-2018, 04:43 PM
Is there any ETA on the new HFC's you guys are planning on releasing?