PDA

View Full Version : Question about DIY APR K04 install

engineerjet
08-02-2013, 04:34 PM
I intend to do this install myself since I don't feel like paying for the labor. I'm very eager to tackle this by myself but my google-fu left me empty which is what brings me here. I have several step by steps on removing the turbo charger but are there certain concerns when it comes to oils/lube/lock-tite when installing the unit? Do the gaskets require special sealants of any kind? I apologize if this seems basic but I'm eager to learn.

Dan_Q
08-03-2013, 05:07 AM
The gaskets between the turbo and the cat as well as the manifold and the head are metal and do not require any sealant. If you are using the APR kit, you will receive the appropriate gaskets for the oil and coolant line connections to the turbo. I did not locktite anything when installing the new turbo. Any locktite you try and apply is going to vaporize anyway given the incredibly high temps this area will see.

There are some brackets on the oil/coolant lines that connection to the stock turbo and there are no corresponding locations to bolt them up on the K04. If I was doing mine again, I would probably have used a dremel cutting wheel to cut the brackets off the rigid sections. They just got in the way. In Step 13 of my DIY you can see the brackets I'm talking about. They are welded onto the rigid sections of two (might have been three) of the hoses.

It is a fairly simple DIY if you have any mechanical ability.

engineerjet
08-03-2013, 04:44 PM
Thanks you! Another question. The gaskets that are provided, are they directional? I only ask because I see tabs on a few gaskets and wouldnt want to install a gasket wrong if direction does matter. Thank you for the help! your write up is awesome. Is it directly applicable for the B7 models?

bikeman147
08-07-2013, 09:49 PM
The gaskets that are directional have metal tabs that insure you place them the correct direction. You should see a "divot" on the flange or hose assembly that matches the metal tab location. (PCV line, exhaust manifold and turbo oil drain)

The remainder would be the 4 bolt exhaust pipe flange that only fits one direction..... and some crush washers in aluminum or copper. The crush washers can go either way.

I did not use any sealant. Just a wiped clean smooth gasket surface and new gasket.
I highly recommend Permatex 80078 anti seize (the gold/copper colored goop) on manifold bolts and studs. It's save me countless hours over the years.

Frinkferta
08-15-2013, 10:23 AM
It is safe to drive the car to a tuner shop to get the tune after the KO4 has been installed?

LINDW4LL
08-15-2013, 10:31 AM
Yes, just don't drive it hard.