PDA

View Full Version : Chipping an a5

jtanenbaum
03-25-2013, 10:24 PM
So I leased an A5. I have never chipped a car due to fear of screwing up the engine. Tonight I am watching wheeler dealer and they chip a cars ecu (WRX) and get and additinal 40 hp out if it. The way they presented this was that cars are designed for the world platform and thus not set with aggressive settings so they can cater to a world of drivers and conditions. So, I hear you simply need a chip that plugs into the same connection as Vag com. Anyone want to lay this out for me and suggest some starter chips? Thanks

ArcticA4
03-26-2013, 05:33 PM
"Chipping" cars isn't so popular in the VW/Audi Community anymore...This term refers to when someone would actually crack open your ECU and solder a new computer chip into it. Newer cars get tuned, this is where someone takes a computer with a program loaded into it and uploads it into your ECU, either the tune is out of the box, which means its been pre tested, or you go to a dyno tuner who sits your car on a dyno and makes tiny adjustments custom to your car. I would recommend going with an out of the box tune. A few notable companies are APR, Unitronic, GIAC, i'm sure i'm missing a couple. You pay 500 or so dollars and get 30-40 hp and around the same torque. These tunes are for the most part very dependable. I have GIAC in my car, and in previous cars, and have had no issues. I see you live in Jersey, right off the Willow Grove exit of the PA turnpike is AWE-Tuning, They are a very well known tuner for VW Audi and Porsche, they've done all my work in my cars and I like dealing with them a lot, they are a GIAC dealer. The one big risk involved is that Audi of America can see if this has been done to the car if they check for it. They have been known to void warranties over it because you've tampered with the cars functionality, and when people bring up that Magnussen Act that says they can't do that, they don't really care. Since you are leasing i'm not sure what the implication would be.

jtanenbaum
03-26-2013, 08:28 PM
That is great information. I didn't know the technical terms for tweaking hp as I have always left things stock. My biggest fear is that with the 2.0, you could damage the engine from one of these changes. Plus it's impact on oil consumption......I have had the 2.0 in three other vehicles and it always needs more between changes. I am sure if I ask my dealer they will say it voids the warranty as you say. However, I have to imagine the near 20 percent increase in power is easily distinguishable when driving. Thats pretty appealing. Lot to weigh out on this. Thanks for the insight....

tenbosch
03-28-2013, 03:28 AM
What year A5 do you have? I have a 2013 and there are limited options for tuning the ECU. As soon as APR comes out with theirs, I'll be getting it. BTW, I'm in Livingston a lot. Great to see another A5 enthusiast in the area.
That is great information. I didn't know the technical terms for tweaking hp as I have always left things stock. My biggest fear is that with the 2.0, you could damage the engine from one of these changes. Plus it's impact on oil consumption......I have had the 2.0 in three other vehicles and it always needs more between changes. I am sure if I ask my dealer they will say it voids the warranty as you say. However, I have to imagine the near 20 percent increase in power is easily distinguishable when driving. Thats pretty appealing. Lot to weigh out on this. Thanks for the insight....

jtanenbaum
03-28-2013, 03:44 PM
What year A5 do you have? I have a 2013 and there are limited options for tuning the ECU. As soon as APR comes out with theirs, I'll be getting it. BTW, I'm in Livingston a lot. Great to see another A5 enthusiast in the area.

It's a 2013. This is my 5th audi. Been in Livingston/ west orange area for 14 years now. Also had a bunch of VWs over the years. The concern I had was isn't a 2.0 liter engine working like mad with a turbo to pump out 211? Also oil consumption would have to go up given the history of this engine. Would love to know more about APR. how it works, cost concerns.......