PDA

View Full Version : fuel economy

ovsa
08-27-2012, 07:33 PM
i recently took a trip in my 96 A4 from Calgary to Salmon Arm (about 500 kms) On the way there i filled up with mid-grade fuel from the Superstore and the milage consumption there was about 7.9L/100kms.

on the way back i filled up at the super-save gas station with regular fuel and was getting 8.7L/100 kms.

Load was the same both ways as was my speed and driving habits. There was no wind either way to speak of.

i am just curious if using the different grade of fuel (reg. vs mid- grade)would make that much of a difference or is one place's fuel a lot worse than the others.

any ideas?

thanks

jimrobbington
09-02-2012, 07:53 AM
I've always had terrible results with fuel from grocery stores. Always shell for me.

bman005
09-03-2012, 04:35 PM
i recently took a trip in my 96 A4 from Calgary to Salmon Arm (about 500 kms) On the way there i filled up with mid-grade fuel from the Superstore and the milage consumption there was about 7.9L/100kms.

on the way back i filled up at the super-save gas station with regular fuel and was getting 8.7L/100 kms.

Load was the same both ways as was my speed and driving habits. There was no wind either way to speak of.

i am just curious if using the different grade of fuel (reg. vs mid- grade)would make that much of a difference or is one place's fuel a lot worse than the others.

any ideas?

thanks

To be honest its a little bit of both. Regular can lower power and economy of your car and cheapo stations are typically cheaper because they buy lower quality fuels in general. So if you get regular from a cheapo station thats 2 strikes against you

Panimal
10-04-2012, 09:45 AM
Cheaper fuel also tends to contain more ethanol (up to 10%) which has less energy than gasoline so you get less miles out of it. "vehicles will typically go 3–4% fewer miles per gallon on E10 than on straight gasoline."