View Full Version : 07 a3 2.0t standard transmission swap?

05-05-2012, 07:26 PM
I'm new to a3s and I'm looking to purchase one, i found a really clean one in california but its an automatic and i would like a standard, so i guess my question is if its possible? and if it is has it been done? and how much am i looking at for the swap if i do it myself? and what are the codes i should look for? i honestly have no education in the world of a3s so a little help would be appreciated.

07-06-2012, 03:52 AM
The mechanical swap isn't overly problematic - your issues will be electronic. Unfortunatley for you, the ECU is coded to the automatic tranny and since the entire electrical system is CANBUS, you'll need to find a replacement ECU that matches your cars specifications EXACTLY or you'll have a very expensive paper weight. Keep looking for an A3 that's already the way you want it - they're out there.

08-31-2012, 08:42 AM
Don't know about the transverse setup but the A4 drivetrain has a different crankshaft between the auto and the CVT/6-speed. Luckily I got a CVT drivetrain so I can bolt up a 6-speed in its place.