PDA

View Full Version : (glissoar's) - K04 Turbo Build

Pages : [1] 2 3

glissoar
01-24-2012, 05:18 PM
So I have been toying with the idea for quite some time now and I just decided it was time! My buddy Paul Gordon owns HB Motorworks in Chesapeake, VA and is going to be wrenching on the build since my job doesn't allow me the time to be able to do this myself. He is teaming up with United Motorsports to do a custom tune for the build. I decided to post a build thread so I can update you guys on the progress! So far Paul has put together a custom FMIC to start things off, so here is the progress so far and I'll update as more comes and post dyno numbers once complete
http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/380117_249728461755004_116011651793353_717060_3442 6848_n.jpg
http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/373795_249728708421646_116011651793353_717061_1995 457015_n.jpg
http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/308932_249727591755091_116011651793353_717059_1554 480207_n.jpg

TFSI
01-24-2012, 05:55 PM
Custom fmic? looks like it's from cxracing.
Nice car btw

glissoar
01-24-2012, 06:00 PM
Its a Cx racing core with custom piping, so half custom LOL!

golfvdude
01-24-2012, 06:38 PM
Any chance he's willing to make more piping? Looks good so far.

DRAKLORE
01-24-2012, 06:42 PM
I have to say that piping looks great, especially where the map sits.
What's the ID? My Godspeed stuff not only looks horrible but is 2.25" :-(

Inked
01-24-2012, 06:46 PM
start replicating that piping = make a bunch of money on audizine....hes a skilled welder thats for sure!

glissoar
01-24-2012, 06:58 PM
My car was the first FMIC he has done on a B7, Ill call him tomorrow and see if I can work something out with him and get a price on just piping

DRAKLORE
01-24-2012, 07:00 PM
What size piping? Looks to be 2.75"

glissoar
01-24-2012, 07:04 PM
I have to say that piping looks great, especially where the map sits.
What's the ID? My Godspeed stuff not only looks horrible but is 2.25" :-(

ID? Not sure what your asking? either that or im mildly retarded and Im having a hella brain fart

glissoar
01-24-2012, 07:06 PM
What size piping? Looks to be 2.75"
its just 2.5" nothing crazy

DRAKLORE
01-24-2012, 07:07 PM
ID=inside diameter. Thank you you answered my question :-)

glissoar
01-24-2012, 07:25 PM
no problem

CorneliusRox
01-24-2012, 07:27 PM
Better put a link to your build thread!

glissoar
01-24-2012, 07:46 PM
Too lazy to actually make a true build thread, Im just going to post updates here ha

A42007
01-24-2012, 07:47 PM
Yeah that piping looks amazing! Def. interested in a price...

jsandor91
01-24-2012, 08:24 PM
interested in a price aswell

SykoraA4
01-24-2012, 08:58 PM
which k04 are you going with? (you know im going to advocate K0R!) I met Jeff, UM's owner at Waterfest last year and had a chance to talk to him a bit. A very cool guy and very knowledgeable too. Good choice. your piping looks stellar too, but Im curious as to why you didn't go with a higher density core? It looks great, but IMO of course, a treadstone or ideally a garret core would really match the K04 better. With the smaller turbo's pushing higher psi's, you can build up heat soak super fast. other than that it looks like a great start! If you do go K0R I'd love to meet up to compare unitronic to UM.

TheFastA4
01-24-2012, 10:14 PM
im actually in the process of building of custom fmic. does anybody know if a Treadstone TR8 fmic would fit with an Sline front bumper? i found a good deal on one and would rather go with that as i plan on a EFR kit.

glissoar
01-25-2012, 05:16 AM
which k04 are you going with? (you know im going to advocate K0R!) I met Jeff, UM's owner at Waterfest last year and had a chance to talk to him a bit. A very cool guy and very knowledgeable too. Good choice. your piping looks stellar too, but Im curious as to why you didn't go with a higher density core? It looks great, but IMO of course, a treadstone or ideally a garret core would really match the K04 better. With the smaller turbo's pushing higher psi's, you can build up heat soak super fast. other than that it looks like a great start! If you do go K0R I'd love to meet up to compare unitronic to UM.

All said and done Im going to be pushing about 280-290 to the wheels, or thats the goal, so if I had gone with a larger core you actually loose power if your core is to big, I dynoed after the FMIC was installed and I lost 15hp which will all be corrected once the k04 is on and the tune is done

jimrobbington
01-25-2012, 06:11 AM
I appreciate the build, but it just seems silly to me to put in a K04 these days. The K0R is cheaper, more powerful, and easier install. I mean, can you 'splain to me why you chose the K04?

glissoar
01-25-2012, 07:01 AM
I appreciate the build, but it just seems silly to me to put in a K04 these days. The K0R is cheaper, more powerful, and easier install. I mean, can you 'splain to me why you chose the K04?

I sat down with Paul and went over the build, I wanted to do a strictly oem plus build and I'm not looking for crazy power just something fun to drive and the k04 was right in my budget and can deliver the power I'm looking for, I'm not very familiar with the k0r, but I trust Paul and the direction he is going with the build, I won't be the fastest by any means but he does quality work

digitalAUDI
01-25-2012, 07:14 AM
You should look into the KOr before you make any final decisions. You may like what you find out about it.

http://www.raimotorsport.com/RAI-Motorsport-K0R-GT-K04-Turbo-Upgrade-p/rai_b7k0r-gt.htm

glissoar
01-25-2012, 07:31 AM
You should look into the KOr before you make any final decisions. You may like what you find out about it.

http://www.raimotorsport.com/RAI-Motorsport-K0R-GT-K04-Turbo-Upgrade-p/rai_b7k0r-gt.htm

That def sounds interesting but the power output stated is exactly what I'm getting out of the k04, Jeff at united motorsports is doing a custome tune on my car to make sure I get at least 280 whp, I have it set up with all aspect motorsports in Chesapeake so Jeff can use their dyno to custome tune the car, and. Get to keep the k03 so I can put back to stock if I ever sell the car

blazeblunts4
01-25-2012, 07:42 AM
I would cut the bumper to show off your FMIC , but then again i am a big ricer at heart..lol

glissoar
01-25-2012, 07:50 AM
I would cut the bumper to show off your FMIC , but then again i am a big ricer at heart..lol
Lol that would def be pretty crazy! I'm going for the stealth look! I want the car to look almost stock under the hood and the FMIC to look hidden

SykoraA4
01-25-2012, 07:53 AM
All said and done Im going to be pushing about 280-290 to the wheels, or thats the goal, so if I had gone with a larger core you actually loose power if your core is to big, I dynoed after the FMIC was installed and I lost 15hp which will all be corrected once the k04 is on and the tune is done

I'm not referring to the actual size, more the core density and efficiency. did you log your IAT's during those dyno runs? I'd think that would be better to compare before and after, as a 15hp difference could be caused by a number of things. I'd almost venture to guess... and dont hang me.. but because the stock intercoolers are a higher density then the CX racing core, that might be why you're seeing a drop in performance. also keep in mind, if your intercooler hurts performance before your upgrade, it will hinder performance after the upgrade too. I'm not saying you won't hit your goals, but a range of 295-310whp sounds a little nicer than your stated goals. Again not knocking your set up, but just giving you some food for thought.

also keep in mind, a OEM k04 is not a bolt on solution for our cars. custom work will have to be done to get it to fit. K0R is extremely OEM+ (oem quality, oem parts, oem reliability) and will bolt right up.

glissoar
01-25-2012, 08:13 AM
[QUOTE=SykoraA4;7219198]I'm not referring to the actual size, more the core density and efficiency. did you log your IAT's during those dyno runs? I'd think that would be better to compare before and after, as a 15hp difference could be caused by a number of things. I'd almost venture to guess... and dont hang me.. but because the stock intercoolers are a higher density then the CX racing core, that might be why you're seeing a drop in performance. also keep in mind, if your intercooler hurts performance before your upgrade, it will hinder performance after the upgrade too. I'm not saying you won't hit your goals, but a range of 295-310whp sounds a little nicer than your stated goals. Again not knocking your set up, but just giving you some food for thought.

also keep in mind, a OEM k04 is not a bolt on solution for our cars. custom work will have to be done to get it to fit. K0R is extremely OEM+ (oem quality, oem parts, oem reliability) and will bolt right up.[/QUOTE

I def see what your saying, Paul is logging the pulls on the dyno, I should have the initial logs today and can post that up, the k04 is going to require a few modifications but I really feel it is the best direction for me, I will keep posting the logs as I get them

ericpaulyoung
01-25-2012, 08:25 AM
[QUOTE=SykoraA4;7219198]I'm not referring to the actual size, more the core density and efficiency. did you log your IAT's during those dyno runs? I'd think that would be better to compare before and after, as a 15hp difference could be caused by a number of things. I'd almost venture to guess... and dont hang me.. but because the stock intercoolers are a higher density then the CX racing core, that might be why you're seeing a drop in performance. also keep in mind, if your intercooler hurts performance before your upgrade, it will hinder performance after the upgrade too. I'm not saying you won't hit your goals, but a range of 295-310whp sounds a little nicer than your stated goals. Again not knocking your set up, but just giving you some food for thought.

also keep in mind, a OEM k04 is not a bolt on solution for our cars. custom work will have to be done to get it to fit. K0R is extremely OEM+ (oem quality, oem parts, oem reliability) and will bolt right up.[/QUOTE

I def see what your saying, Paul is logging the pulls on the dyno, I should have the initial logs today and can post that up, the k04 is going to require a few modifications but I really feel it is the best direction for me, I will keep posting the logs as I get them

I agree. My plan is exactly the same. I am not sure why people make it sound like there is an excessive amount of fab work to fit an S3 K04 in our cars. That just isnt the case. The amount of fab work is 1. Order a HFC or test pipe with the S3 flange (034 did my HFC for $350, and they would do a test pipe for a bunch less), and 2. Order the custom motor mount so the flange won't hit (034 said $150 for mine). Then just order the sweet ass S3 K04 from APR and everything is in the stock location. Lazlo at 034 runs this exact setup for the last couple of years and lives it.
Eric

SykoraA4
01-25-2012, 08:46 AM
Sounds like you've got it planned out pretty well then. My last little tidbit (and i'm only weighing in so much because I have a similar set up) Knowing you're going for a more conservative set up (read Safe and Affordable) it seems like you'll end up leaning very heavily on your custom tune to make up the power to reach your goal. I guess my point is, in an instance like this it might make sense to make sure your hardware is working as effectively as possible so that your tune wont have to be as aggressive. I have no doubt Jeff can write you a great tune, but given the opportunity to give him some wiggle room with good hardware I know wouldn't hurt in the long run.

what are your plans as far as fueling?

drumnjuny
01-25-2012, 09:17 AM
makes 0 sense to go K04 when K0R is significantly cheaper, stock mani location, can run on a stage 2+ tune, and puts out more power.

if you REALLY don't want more power, LMAO, then just get your custom tune to be on a conservative boost, say 17-18psi peak instead of 21.

K04 requires new oil lines, and tons of other sheetz

sorry to be aggressive. but trust us you are making a meesteeeak. at least do more research on the K0R!!

DRAKLORE
01-25-2012, 09:33 AM
You saw how going OEM+ worked out for the company..

drumnjuny
01-25-2012, 09:34 AM
^^ hahahahahah. this.

ericpaulyoung
01-25-2012, 09:46 AM
makes 0 sense to go K04 when K0R is significantly cheaper, stock mani location, can run on a stage 2+ tune, and puts out more power.

if you REALLY don't want more power, LMAO, then just get your custom tune to be on a conservative boost, say 17-18psi peak instead of 21.

K04 requires new oil lines, and tons of other sheetz

sorry to be aggressive. but trust us you are making a meesteeeak. at least do more research on the K0R!!

Rolling the S3 is the same setup and results as the power/torque curve as on this page.
http://www.goapr.com/products/turbo_trans20t_k04.html

That is not slow, not a mistake, and is hardly being smashed by the KOR. As for price, well it is actually exactly the same (or cheaper). APR has 3 sales a year where the hardware w/o injectors is $1950. And if you don't want to use the APR version with the direct mount diverter valve and removed turbo outlet muffler, well, the it is cheaper (you can find S3 snails all day long for $1300).

Some people don't want to run a hybrid or a big GT. Just a personal preference.
- Eric

drumnjuny
01-25-2012, 09:59 AM
awww cmon eric! everyone knows those numbers are BS and at the crank... operator is making 274awhp on 91 oct and a k04 tune, at 5600ft of altitude, and on a TIP... if you slapped on a custom tune, 93 and sea level? easily over APR's claimed numbers at the crank, except at the wheels if he's 6MT... APR's numbers are at the crank, at sea level, with a proper tune for the K04 (vs. operator using a k04 tune on a k0R)...

IMO you could push a K0R way farther than a K04... plus stock location, makes everything easier. Just need someone to prove it for me! anyone else with a K0R get any dyno numbers?

You're right though, I was being a complete n00b and comparing the price of hardware+tune for the K04 to the hardware only for K0R.

shiro1745
01-25-2012, 10:10 AM
I would be interested in seeing some dyno numbers for KOR as well

ericpaulyoung
01-25-2012, 10:13 AM
awww cmon eric! everyone knows those numbers are BS and at the crank... operator is making 274awhp on 91 oct and a k04 tune, at 5600ft of altitude, and on a TIP... if you slapped on a custom tune, 93 and sea level? easily over APR's claimed numbers at the crank, except at the wheels if he's 6MT... APR's numbers are at the crank, at sea level, with a proper tune for the K04 (vs. operator using a k04 tune on a k0R)...

IMO you could push a K0R way farther than a K04... plus stock location, makes everything easier. Just need someone to prove it for me! anyone else with a K0R get any dyno numbers?

You're right though, I was being a complete n00b and comparing the price of hardware+tune for the K04 to the hardware only for K0R.

Whaaa, published crank numbers are always right on ;-) Come on, don't crush my hopes and dreams!

I have a feeling that the K04 can be pushed about the same as the KOR, but both of us are just 'a guessing. We need some direct comparisons on similar setups/dynos to prove one of us right. OP has already had a dyno of before, so I am betting he will also do an after dyno too. So all we have to do is wait and see! I am willing to put hard cash on OP hitting 280 at the wheels on his K04 (is betting legal on this forum, hehe)

- Eric

solaris10
01-25-2012, 10:50 AM
Are you going to be changing the rods? I'm running a hybrid k04 but the tune is seriously cut back on torque. The torque comes in very early with the k04 and more so with the hybrid and I dare not push the engine untill at least the rods are swapped out. As it stands the car spools just as quick as the k03 but a hell of a lot more power higher up the rev range.
Good luck with your build

audib7maniac
01-25-2012, 11:03 AM
K04's have been bending rods and what not. If your gonna run a k04 u must change your rods. If I were u a k0R would be a more bang for your buck and you can still use your stock internals.

ericpaulyoung
01-25-2012, 11:06 AM
Are you going to be changing the rods? I'm running a hybrid k04 but the tune is seriously cut back on torque. The torque comes in very early with the k04 and more so with the hybrid and I dare not push the engine untill at least the rods are swapped out. As it stands the car spools just as quick as the k03 but a hell of a lot more power higher up the rev range.

Now don't spread that snake oil; everyone knows K04 sized turbos are a meeeesteak and don't produce any power! (just prodding my bud here)
Eric[cool]

ericpaulyoung
01-25-2012, 11:09 AM
K04's have been bending rods and what not. If your gonna run a k04 u must change your rods. If I were u a k0R would be a more bang for your buck and you can still use your stock internals.

K04s do not bend rods! Geeze, why won't this rumor die? Show us all the examples up for us showing all the cases where these deadly K04s have bent rods, and let's see what really happened.
Eric

audib7maniac
01-25-2012, 11:20 AM
K04s do not bend rods! Geeze, why won't this rumor die? Show us all the examples up for us showing all the cases where these deadly K04s have bent rods, and let's see what really happened.
Eric

It's not a rumor, members on here have bent rods with k04's. I remember reading something about high torque during low rpms. I wouldnt do a k04 because for the money spent your not gettin enough power out of it. i would rather go k0r or gt28 IMHO.

ericpaulyoung
01-25-2012, 11:26 AM
It's not a rumor, members on here have bent rods with k04's. I remember reading something about high torque during low rpms. I wouldnt do a k04 because for the money spent your not gettin enough power out of it. i would rather go k0r or gt28 IMHO.

Everyone always says that they remember hearing about it or reading about it, or a friend at a party heard of a guy, but nobody was able to show us the actual cases. There is a recent thread on this, so I won't repeat it here.
Eric

audib7maniac
01-25-2012, 11:39 AM
Everyone always says that they remember hearing about it or reading about it, or a friend at a party heard of a guy, but nobody was able to show us the actual cases. There is a recent thread on this, so I won't repeat it here.
Eric

First off i can careless what you have to think honestly speaking, if the OP goes k04 i wish him the best of luck but when his rods bend or snap your gonna look like an idiot. And if you get your head out of your ass there are threads on AZ proving my statements. If you search you will find.

-Rob

ericpaulyoung
01-25-2012, 11:48 AM
First off i can careless what you have to think honestly speaking, if the OP goes k04 i wish him the best of luck but when his rods bend or snap your gonna look like an idiot. And if you get your head out of your ass there are threads on AZ proving my statements. If you search you will find.

-Rob

Show me all of these fabled threads, so many that I drown on my own words! I am waiting... Oh, and while you are at it, call APR and tell them they don't know shit, and they need to require rods for all their K04 kits (call GIAC and STASIS too!, as according to you they need to pull their heads out of their asses also).
[wrench]
- Eric

audib7maniac
01-25-2012, 11:56 AM
Show me all of these fabled threads, so many that I drown on my own words! I am waiting... Oh, and while you are at it, call APR and tell them they don't know shit, and they need to require rods for all their K04 kits (call GIAC and STASIS too!, as according to your they need to pull their heads out of their asses also).

- Eric

Haha idgaf pal your just upset for some reason idk why. The k04 is a horrible turbo upgrade. You don't get nearly enough power out of it. I bet everyone who bought a k04 wishes they didnt and went gt28xx at least. Why dont you ask giac stasis and apr if they still sell those garbage off the shelf kits anymore? Oh thats right they don't because they DONT sell any more!!!!! no one wants them!! spending 5 grand for a complete turbo kit and only producing 318 chp. Garbage kit, why dont u buy a k04 and let us know how it works out for u. Granted not every single k04 bent rods but as soon as a few members mentioned that due to the high torque at low rpms not worth it IMHO.

-Rob

ericpaulyoung
01-25-2012, 12:00 PM
Haha idgaf pal your just upset for some reason idk why. The k04 is a horrible turbo upgrade. You don't get nearly enough power out of it. I bet everyone who bought a k04 wishes they didnt and went gt28xx at least. Why dont you ask giac stasis and apr if they still sell those garbage off the shelf kits anymore? Oh thats right they don't because they DONT sell any more!!!!! spending 5 grand for a complete turbo kit and only producing 318 chp. Garbage kit, why dont u buy a k04 and let us know how it works out for u. Granted not every single k04 bent rods but as soon as a few members mentioned that due to the high torque at low rpms not worth it IMHO.

-Rob
Still waiting for all these cases...

Still waiting...

Oh, and STASIS and APR still do sell K04 kits, and GIAC still sells the software. If you like I can hold your hand over to their respective websites and show you the "Add to cart" buttons, but I think you can do it all by yourself; you seem pretty internet savvy.
- Eric

ericpaulyoung
01-25-2012, 12:04 PM
Oh what the hell, you might get lost.
http://www.stasisengineering.com/products/engine-hardware/turbo-a4-20-2006-2008
http://www.goapr.com/products/turbo_long_20t_fsi_k04.html

See, it wasn't Rocket Surgery

- Eric

audib7maniac
01-25-2012, 12:09 PM
OP if you want to waste your time and money on a k04 go ahead. We all know the k04 isnt the best turbo kit for the money. A k0R will produce more power and you will enjoy the drive-ability of it. I'm sorry for bringing your thread off topic with the member up above who want to "hold my hand"

Eric, when you make a contribution to this forum, when you actually learn about our cars then come speak to me. Your prob one of those whose parents bought him a car and thinks he knows everything about it and modding. And what i meant was no one is buying those kits anymore, they are still for sale obviously because they still want to make money off these wasteful kits and fool those such as yourself in buying them. Why dont u buy them since your defending them so much?

-Rob

funky_snowman
01-25-2012, 12:11 PM
Haha idgaf pal your just upset for some reason idk why. The k04 is a horrible turbo upgrade. You don't get nearly enough power out of it. I bet everyone who bought a k04 wishes they didnt and went gt28xx at least. Why dont you ask giac stasis and apr if they still sell those garbage off the shelf kits anymore? Oh thats right they don't because they DONT sell any more!!!!! no one wants them!! spending 5 grand for a complete turbo kit and only producing 318 chp. Garbage kit, why dont u buy a k04 and let us know how it works out for u. Granted not every single k04 bent rods but as soon as a few members mentioned that due to the high torque at low rpms not worth it IMHO.

-Rob

overgeneralize much?

just because a few members have bent rods with the k04, doesn't mean that this is a necessary outcome of a k04 upgrade. some people get the shits if they eat spicy food, but that doesn't mean that everyone who eats that same spicy food will get the shits.

i also find it pretty funny that you argue against the k04 because of the potential rod issue, but then advocate getting a k0r.

basically, you sound like a ranting lunatic, and clearly have no idea how to make a coherent argument. your best bet is to stop talking.

ericpaulyoung
01-25-2012, 12:22 PM
OP if you want to waste your time and money on a k04 go ahead. We all know the k04 isnt the best turbo kit for the money. A k0R will produce more power and you will enjoy the drive-ability of it. I'm sorry for bringing your thread off topic with the member up above who want to "hold my hand"

Eric, when you make a contribution to this forum, when you actually learn about our cars then come speak to me. Your prob one of those whose parents bought him a car and thinks he knows everything about it and modding. And what i meant was no one is buying those kits anymore, they are still for sale obviously because they still want to make money off these wasteful kits and fool those such as yourself in buying them. Why dont u buy them since your defending them so much?

-Rob

Are you saying that you do want to hold hands? How sweet. As for being a kid, well a kid at heart, but at 36 they won't let me in the McDonalds play center anymore; I am just too damn tall! Oh well, can't win them all. :( WRT who bought my car, well that was me, with my hard earned cash. As for buying one, I am. As for all the examples you were promising to provide, well still waiting... Hhmmm..
- Eric

audib7maniac
01-25-2012, 12:22 PM
overgeneralize much?

just because a few members have bent rods with the k04, doesn't mean that this is a necessary outcome of a k04 upgrade. some people get the shits if they eat spicy food, but that doesn't mean that everyone who eats that same spicy food will get the shits.

i also find it pretty funny that you argue against the k04 because of the potential rod issue, but then advocate getting a k0r.

basically, you sound like a ranting lunatic, and clearly have no idea how to make a coherent argument. your best bet is to stop talking.

My argument is that 1. The k04 is the worst turbo upgrade due to it not producing enough power for its cost. 2. It has bent rods, not every k04 has obviously. 3. I advocate getting a k0R because it has shown great power for the money and hasnt yet bent or spanned rods to my knowledge.

And may I ask who u are? all you neewbie members who come here read a couple threads, barely mod your cars, have never worked on your cars come in and open your mouths as if you know something. Before you open your mouth, you might want to mod your car first, spend a few thousand of mommy and daddy's money then come talk to me. I bet your car is bone stock or maybe a stage 1 tune.

-Rob

SykoraA4
01-25-2012, 12:23 PM
You saw how going OEM+ worked out for the company..

that poor car... so much potential..

Solaris, do you have a build thread? ive been meaning to follow up on your build.

I might be wrong, but a simple boost controller might be a way around these aggressive boost spikes. Its my understanding that the boost spikes associated with the smaller turbos (K03, K04) are what have the potential to bend rods. By turning the boost down, you eliminate the boost spike. but wait, dont you want more psi? yes and no. A car with a boost controller set at 18psi will hold that max psi longer and into higher rpms then the same car with the controller set to 24psi, where boost will come on faster and taper off earlier. I've seen tunes that request it both ways. Especially with what the OP is trying to achieve, I'd assume this is the way his tune would be programmed. (again anyone can correct me as i may not be entirely accurate)

and enough banter guys. lets keep this thread on track. OP, if you are shooting for 280 wheel, I wouldn't worry about your internals.

audib7maniac
01-25-2012, 12:24 PM
Are you saying that you do want to hold hands? How sweet. As for being a kid, well a kid at heart, but at 36 they won't let me in the McDonalds play center anymore; I am just too damn tall! Oh well, can't win them all. :( WRT who bought my car, well that was me, with my hard earned cash. As for buying one, I am. As for all the examples you were promising to provide, well still waiting... Hhmmm..
- Eric

I know im a sweetheart <3 I would love a happy meal :) I hope you have fun with the k04, just don't get upset when other cars blow by u and when you feel as if the 5000+ you spent went to waste.

Rob

glissoar
01-25-2012, 12:26 PM
Build thread has officially been hijacked into a k04 vs k0r all out battle! I say thank you for the advice on the set ups.

audib7maniac
01-25-2012, 12:28 PM
Build thread has officially been hijacked into a k04 vs k0r all out battle! I say thank you for the advice on the set ups.

Hahaha im sorry bro, didn't mean to hijack it lol

ericpaulyoung
01-25-2012, 12:30 PM

Sorry, I contributed to the dual. I will bow out of any more K04/KOR advice and just witness what looks to be a great build thread (though you may want to start a new one to get all the garbage out of the way).

- Eric

baldy
01-25-2012, 01:13 PM
OP, all the parts you need are here in this thread (post #25).

K04 is enough for me, but I'm having some weird fueling issues that I'm trying to figure out on the LPFP side (dropping to 2.8 bar, new pump and filter installed, no change). Ordered an RS4 LPFP fuel controller today, so we'll see what happens I guess.

drumnjuny
01-25-2012, 01:15 PM
lol i have to back up eric here. we have a thread talking about why rods bend. you should read it duuuude... you might not agree but you might learn something!

also hpfpupgrade john has talked about rod bending, and why low RPMs are bad for high boost (there is a point at which the piston is suspended and builds pressure and at low RPMS that period of time is higher, or something along those lines. not going to act like i understand 100% lol)

back on topic, i didn't mean to bash the K04 build. just saying that if you haven't read about the K0R, OP, you should check it out. especially with you being so close to RAI...

funky_snowman
01-25-2012, 01:29 PM
Good luck to the OP whichever route he decides to go.

My argument is that 1. The k04 is the worst turbo upgrade due to it not producing enough power for its cost. 2. It has bent rods, not every k04 has obviously. 3. I advocate getting a k0R because it has shown great power for the money and hasnt yet bent or spanned rods to my knowledge.

And may I ask who u are? all you neewbie members who come here read a couple threads, barely mod your cars, have never worked on your cars come in and open your mouths as if you know something. Before you open your mouth, you might want to mod your car first, spend a few thousand of mommy and daddy's money then come talk to me. I bet your car is bone stock or maybe a stage 1 tune.

-Rob

I think your post probably says more about you than it does about me. Enjoy!

drumnjuny
01-25-2012, 01:48 PM
lmao and his car is only stage 2+...

ericpaulyoung
01-25-2012, 01:50 PM
lmao and his car is only stage 2+...

We are back on topic here guys! ;-)

OP, do you plan on doing a dyno run after you finish up?
- Eric

glissoar
01-25-2012, 01:52 PM
I'm using the k04 set up, Jeff at united has the tune on lock I talked to him and he said with the way he is doing the tune I will get the same output as the k0r, he has done some builds with the k0r and assured me the set up I am running will easily produce the same power as the k0r

Operator
01-25-2012, 01:53 PM
OP, I wouldn't worry too much about your rods. Not only do A4's use the K04, but Jetta's and GTI's, A3's etc. And right now the K04 is one of the only "widely" available turbo upgrades for the B8 A4. And with you getting a custom tune, you'll be able to pull more out of it than the OTS tunes.

glissoar
01-25-2012, 01:59 PM
Ya I'll be posting the dyno runs shortly, before dyno put down 186 whp and 265 tq

Operator
01-25-2012, 02:10 PM
Ya I'll be posting the dyno runs shortly, before dyno put down 186 whp and 265 tq

I thought you were at 199whp?

ericpaulyoung
01-25-2012, 02:10 PM

Do you plan on a standard S3 snail, or are you going for the APR one that has the diverter valve machined directly onto the body? This makes it much cleaner and basically looks just like your K03.
http://www.goapr.com/media/videos/D69781F1EAEF5601/CoH74TbeZ32kvsB6XOXd_dAH98JsT1vA/
- Eric

glissoar
01-25-2012, 02:14 PM
I thought you were at 199whp?

I dyno'd with chip and exhaust and put down 199, but I have been having some fueling issues and my apr tune has been acting up wich I think attributed to the loss in power, but I'm getting the HPFP rebuilt with autotec internals and rs4 injectors which should correct it and jeff's tune will fix the apr program that has been messing up

ericpaulyoung
01-25-2012, 02:20 PM
I dyno'd with chip and exhaust and put down 199, but I have been having some fueling issues and my apr tune has been acting up wich I think attributed to the loss in power, but I'm getting the HPFP rebuilt with autotec internals and rs4 injectors which should correct it and jeff's tune will fix the apr program that has been messing up

Side note, I have some brand new RS4 injectors for sale if you haven't bought yours yet. I got them, but am going APR tune which requires the S3 injectors, so now I am selling the RS4s.
- Eric

EDIT - I don't understand how a tune can go bad. If it doesn't change, wouldn't this indicate that either a sensor or some other hardware had failed?

SykoraA4
01-25-2012, 02:32 PM
what kind of dyno? I'm defininately going to be watching your progress as I don't think i know of any K04's running rs4 injectors, this build is getting interesting!

Operator
01-25-2012, 02:42 PM
im actually in the process of building of custom fmic. does anybody know if a Treadstone TR8 fmic would fit with an Sline front bumper? i found a good deal on one and would rather go with that as i plan on a EFR kit.

A TR8 will require trimming to the crashbar, as it's too tall. A TR6 is good up to 400hp.

glissoar
01-25-2012, 03:00 PM
Do you plan on a standard S3 snail, or are you going for the APR one that has the diverter valve machined directly onto the body? This makes it much cleaner and basically looks just like your K03.
http://www.goapr.com/media/videos/D69781F1EAEF5601/CoH74TbeZ32kvsB6XOXd_dAH98JsT1vA/
- Eric
I'm using the s3 k, Paul is doing the fab work so it will look stock when all done and he modified my carbonio intake box to fit the new maf so it will just look like I have an FMIC and intake but stock other than that!

glissoar
01-25-2012, 03:04 PM
what kind of dyno? I'm defininately going to be watching your progress as I don't think i know of any K04's running rs4 injectors, this build is getting interesting!
All I know is it was an AWD dyno at all aspect motorsports in Chesapeake, I have already bought everything for the build, it should be done tuning by mid next week!

Operator
01-25-2012, 03:23 PM

We have an AWD Dynojet Model 424xLC2 that enables us to run front wheel drive, rear wheel drive, and all wheel drive vehicles.

That shop's prices for dyno runs are cheaper than what I get around these parts.

ericpaulyoung
01-25-2012, 03:23 PM
I'm using the s3 k, Paul is doing the fab work so it will look stock when all done and he modified my carbonio intake box to fit the new maf so it will just look like I have an FMIC and intake but stock other than that!

If you don't mind me asking, what is Paul charging to machine the S3 case for directly mounting the diverter valve? If he is cheaper than APR, I will have him do mine too! The reason I chose the APR snail, was that one of my requirements is that I don't have to relocate the DV to the other side of my engine bay, so that I can keep the stock look. But it they charge about $700 for all the machining and custom mounts.
- Eric

EDIT - Dang mang, what is he charging for the tune too? Shoot, if he is cheaper and the RS4 injectors work, I can keep my injectors and have him send me the same snail and tune! You are my hero!

glissoar
01-25-2012, 03:28 PM
O
If you don't mind me asking, what is Paul charging to machine the S3 case for directly mounting the diverter valve? If he is cheaper than APR, I will have him do mine too! The reason I chose the APR snail, was that one of my requirements is that I don't have to relocate the DV to the other side of my engine bay, so that I can keep the stock look. But it they charge about $700 for all the machining and custom mounts.
- Eric

EDIT - Dang mang, what is he charging for the tune too? Shoot, if he is cheaper and the RS4 injectors work, I can keep my injectors and have him send me the same snail and tune! You are my hero!

the entire build with labor and custom tune is $5300

SykoraA4
01-25-2012, 03:30 PM
ahh looks like a dynojet, i just checked it out their site. Do you have any plans to pick up an upgraded rail valve? how many miles do you have on the hpfp you are rebuilding?

edit, operator beat me too it. you shouldn't have any problems hitting your goals on that dyno. Sounds like a pretty good deal though.

glissoar
01-25-2012, 03:34 PM
ahh looks like a dynojet, i just checked it out their site. Do you have any plans to pick up an upgraded rail valve? how many miles do you have on the hpfp you are rebuilding?

I have about 20k on the stock HPFP, I'm using auto tech internals, so I get a new rail, I also upgraded to an rs4 fuel rail sensor, and put an rs4 pump in the fuel tank

SykoraA4
01-25-2012, 03:39 PM
autotech's rebuild doesnt include the rail valve. you might want to snag one of these (http://hpfpupgrade.com/Products/Show/Audi/2.0T+FSI/Audi+Performance+Rail+Valve) to complement your pump.

http://hpfpupgrade.com/images/VW_Audi_Rail_valve_1.JPG

glissoar
01-25-2012, 03:41 PM
autotech's rebuild doesnt include the rail valve. you might want to snag one of these (http://hpfpupgrade.com/Products/Show/Audi/2.0T+FSI/Audi+Performance+Rail+Valve) to complement your pump.

http://hpfpupgrade.com/images/VW_Audi_Rail_valve_1.JPG
I'm def going to ask Paul about getting one of those!!!

ericpaulyoung
01-25-2012, 03:49 PM
I am super excited to see your finished product!
- Eric

ericpaulyoung
01-25-2012, 03:50 PM
O

the entire build with labor and custom tune is $5300

When you get the invoice, let me know how much of that is for the machined K04. ;)
- Eric

glissoar
01-25-2012, 04:37 PM
updates updates!!!!

http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/421392_284855211575662_116011651793353_811837_9334 59210_n.jpg
before dyno

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/420540_284842448243605_116011651793353_811822_7508 66742_n.jpg‎
3" intake with maf integrated in the intake ,also dv reroute custom fab in the intake

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/429097_284852761575907_116011651793353_811836_1643 610235_n.jpg
k03 is out, tomorrow k04 will be fabbed up and put on

ericpaulyoung
01-25-2012, 04:40 PM
updates updates!!!!

http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/421392_284855211575662_116011651793353_811837_9334 59210_n.jpg
before dyno

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/420540_284842448243605_116011651793353_811822_7508 66742_n.jpg‎
3" intake with maf integrated in the intake ,also dv reroute custom fab in the intake

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/429097_284852761575907_116011651793353_811836_1643 610235_n.jpg
k03 is out, tomorrow k04 will be fabbed up and put on

Dude, I am so jealous. You rock for doing a before and after dyno too! Time to squash some bad talkers about what the "little" k04 can do!

I will see if I can find a all wheel dyno here in Oregon, so that I can pull one before and after on mine too. Come on tax returns, so I can immediately install my snail.

- Eric

glissoar
01-25-2012, 04:47 PM
Dude, I am so jealous. You rock for doing a before and after dyno too! Time to squash some bad talkers about what the "little" k04 can do!

I will see if I can find a all wheel dyno here in Oregon, so that I can pull one before and after on mine too. Come on tax returns, so I can immediately install my snail.

- Eric

Im really excited for it! Jeff is assuring me I will running down KoR set ups with no problem, the tune he is working for it is going to give it that extra power most lack with a Ko4 build

DRAKLORE
01-25-2012, 05:10 PM
Did he clean up your carbon while he was there?
Awesome for you being proactive and actually contributing to the community!

And Eric lol- it has been found that a very high majority (upwards of 99%)of the 2.0tfsi engines that had snapped or bent rods, had a KO4 or GT28 installed. Which may or may not been directly related to the failure, but seeing how out of the millions of 2.0s tens of thousands of highly modified KO3 2.0TFSI only one has produced this result.
[:p]

ericpaulyoung
01-25-2012, 05:42 PM

And Eric lol- it has been found that a very high majority (upwards of 99%)of the 2.0tfsi engines that had snapped or bent rods, had a KO4 or GT28 installed. Which may or may not been directly related to the failure, but seeing how out of the millions of 2.0s tens of thousands of highly modified KO3 2.0TFSI only one has produced this result.

Shane, did you not read the part about not hijacking the thread again? :)
Eric

EDIT - Gosh darn it, your bait is too strong. OK - Shane, you got it all wrong, the number that you need to look at it NOT "can I find an outlier and see if it is a K04" rather look at "of all the k04 cars, what percent of them bent a rod". When you look at the right number you will see that a negligible fraction of the cars that went k04 had this problem. In other words, should you stop flying in 747's because two in Italy crashed?? No, you should not worry about it, because of all the 747's out there, the risk of being in that small percentage of them that crash is negligible. Or, you could take your stance and just start taking Greyhound everywhere. For me, I am not going to cancel my trip next month because of this.

Inked
01-25-2012, 05:47 PM

THIS!?!?!?!

glissoar
01-25-2012, 05:52 PM

ya he cleaned it up since that has not been done since i bought the car [:D] and I got a fuel additive from him, gotta look at the bottle to see what its called that helps keep it cleaned out really well!

ericpaulyoung
01-25-2012, 06:05 PM
THIS!?!?!?!

X2!

DRAKLORE
01-25-2012, 06:41 PM
Eric- the real question is, how many of those 747s had KO4s on them?

ericpaulyoung
01-25-2012, 06:52 PM
Eric- the real question is, how many of those 747s had KO4s on them?

hehe! That is the question ;-)
- Eric

Inked
01-25-2012, 06:54 PM
Lol at Drake

drumnjuny
01-25-2012, 07:03 PM
im super impressed you were able to wait on the build thread haha until now... a week before its going to be finished! [:p]

glissoar
01-25-2012, 07:08 PM
im super impressed you were able to wait on the build thread haha until now... a week before its going to be finished! [:p]
I have been talking with Paul for a while discussing all the different routes we could go with the build, and 2 weeks ago, we decided on the k04 and put in the order and he started wrenching monday!! ITS BEEN EXTREMELY HARD TO KEEP IT IN! lol but I wanted to be able to show progress!!

ericpaulyoung
01-25-2012, 07:13 PM
How many dyno pulls did you do for the before case?
- Eric

glissoar
01-25-2012, 07:18 PM
How many dyno pulls did you do for the before case?
- Eric

just one pull, just wanted to get an idea of where we were starting at, they are going to be doing multiple runs with the car to get a true custom dyno'd tune and once we reach the goal we want to be at then that will be the final run

ericpaulyoung
01-26-2012, 07:17 AM
just one pull, just wanted to get an idea of where we were starting at, they are going to be doing multiple runs with the car to get a true custom dyno'd tune and once we reach the goal we want to be at then that will be the final run

It feels like it is Christmas, and the work isn't even being done to my car. I can just imagine how excited you are. I know this has me spun up about getting a bigger turbo and tune into my ride!

So what made you decide to run RS4 injectors vs the S3?
- Eric

glissoar
01-26-2012, 01:12 PM
It feels like it is Christmas, and the work isn't even being done to my car. I can just imagine how excited you are. I know this has me spun up about getting a bigger turbo and tune into my ride!

So what made you decide to run RS4 injectors vs the S3?
- Eric
Rs4 injectors are cheaper and since Jeff is doing a custom tune he can tune it specific to the rs4 spray pattern

ericpaulyoung
01-26-2012, 02:47 PM
That is the same reason I originally bought my RS4 injectors. But have since decided against my original route to have a custom tune done by VAST, so instead going to the OTS APR tune, which uses S3 injectors.

I have seen a dyno and a couple guys running the stage II+ tune with the K04 and having no problems with the lower boost requested for stage II+. So I will likely run stock injectors on the k04 for a bit on my APR stage II+ tune, then slap in the S3 injectors and the APR STage III tune later. Or if your RS4 injectors and custom tune route runs sweet with out any smoke (RS4s are claimed to do this, so I am excited to see if Jeff can tune it to not!!), I will see about getting your tune and keeping my RS4 injectors.

Oh the options!!
- Eric

EDIT - Thank you again for adding real contributions; it will help all us court [wrench]side speculators ;-)

glissoar
01-26-2012, 04:39 PM
That is the same reason I originally bought my RS4 injectors. But have since decided against my original route to have a custom tune done by VAST, so instead going to the OTS APR tune, which uses S3 injectors.

I have seen a dyno and a couple guys running the stage II+ tune with the K04 and having no problems with the lower boost requested for stage II+. So I will likely run stock injectors on the k04 for a bit on my APR stage II+ tune, then slap in the S3 injectors and the APR STage III tune later. Or if your RS4 injectors and custom tune route runs sweet with out any smoke (RS4s are claimed to do this, so I am excited to see if Jeff can tune it to not!!), I will see about getting your tune and keeping my RS4 injectors.

Oh the options!!
- Eric

EDIT - Thank you again for adding real contributions; it will help all us court [wrench]side speculators ;-)

the tune Jeff is doing is supposed to be specific for the RS4 spray pattern to eliminate the black smoke issue. If I was you I would just wait, till you have everything you want for your car before you start slapping it on, you will be very dissapointed with the power output if you don't do the build properly, patience is a virtue! LOL

glissoar
01-26-2012, 04:52 PM
More updates!!!!
Turbo went on today!
http://i1119.photobucket.com/albums/k633/glissoar/IMG_0239.jpg?t=1327625174
Also found out that o34's HFC doesn't fit a Ko4 so I have a new flange on the way
http://i1119.photobucket.com/albums/k633/glissoar/IMG_0238.jpg?t=1327625174

Tomorrow the fuel pump is getting the rebuild and injectors going in, once the new flange is in everything gets bolted back up and off to Jeff @ United motorsports to Tune and then I should have some final Dyno numbers, probably by the end of next week!

Mc Suly
01-26-2012, 07:45 PM
For before dyno it was pure stock?

Which injectors you going with?

glissoar
01-27-2012, 06:02 AM
For before dyno it was pure stock?

Which injectors you going with?

The sad part is the before dyno was apr stage1,o34 HFC, awe exhaust and custom FMIC! I dyno'd 6 months ago and put down 199 to the wheels with just tune and exhaust but I have been having fuel pressure issues which I think affected the power out put. I'm running rs4 injectors with a custom tune by Jeff at united motorsports

WalkerT
01-27-2012, 09:35 AM
Make sure the MAF sensor is in the same diameter tube as stock. The Sensor is calibrated to the size of the tube. If you increase the tube size and more air will bypass than the original tube there for skewing the numbers on the air flow. The sensor uses the tube size and the current to calculate the amount of air flow. Maybe they can adjust this with the tune but it could cause you to run lean if not taken account for.

glissoar
01-27-2012, 10:07 AM
Make sure the MAF sensor is in the same diameter tube as stock. The Sensor is calibrated to the size of the tube. If you increase the tube size and more air will bypass than the original tube there for skewing the numbers on the air flow. The sensor uses the tube size and the current to calculate the amount of air flow. Maybe they can adjust this with the tune but it could cause you to run lean if not taken account for.

I'll have to talk to Paul about that, he has been doing turbo builds for 20+ yrs so I would imagine he has thought of all that and calculated it into the build, and Jeff can tune it for that size maf

solaris10
01-28-2012, 05:54 AM
Now don't spread that snake oil; everyone knows K04 sized turbos are a meeeesteak and don't produce any power! (just prodding my bud here)
Eric[cool]
And thats the reason I'm using a hybrid k04, the internals have been upgraded using uprated 360 thrust bearings, k24 compressor wheel and lightned turbine wheel for quicker response. Equates to some awesome drivability/usable power

glissoar
02-03-2012, 02:34 PM
Everything is back together and Jeff is Currently writing the tune for it here are some pics of what it looks like, Very Stealth, Can't even hardly tell its a K04!
http://i1119.photobucket.com/albums/k633/glissoar/IMG_0244.jpg?t=1328308240
http://i1119.photobucket.com/albums/k633/glissoar/IMG_0245.jpg?t=1328308240

The Tune should be done beginning of next week and then it's going back on the dyno to put out the final numbers!

SykoraA4
02-04-2012, 07:41 AM
Thats the beauty of k04/K0R's . Sneaky sneaky. Looking forward to what it puts down. Is Jeff doing any Dyno tuning?

glissoar
02-04-2012, 01:16 PM
Thats the beauty of k04/K0R's . Sneaky sneaky. Looking forward to what it puts down. Is Jeff doing any Dyno tuning?

We are doing a remote dyno tune, jeff is writing the file now, then we are throwing it on the dyno first of the week, see what it puts down, and how the car handle with the tune, then send jeff the dyno numbers and where it needs to be tweeked. Trial and error until we get the power we are shooting for!

ericpaulyoung
02-06-2012, 09:54 PM
And thats the reason I'm using a hybrid k04, the internals have been upgraded using uprated 360 thrust bearings, k24 compressor wheel and lightned turbine wheel for quicker response. Equates to some awesome drivability/usable power

Where are you getting this wondrous K04? And how much does it cost?
- Eric

EDIT - You should note that I was being sarcastic about the K04; I love the powerband promise of the K04. I spend all day driving at 3-5k rpms, which is exactly where the K04 shines.

glissoar
02-08-2012, 04:40 PM
Jeff has just completed the tune and we did some test runs today, tweaking a few things on the tune and then I'll have the final dyno numbers!

SykoraA4
02-09-2012, 10:59 AM
How'd it do so far?

ericpaulyoung
02-11-2012, 08:05 AM
How'd it do so far?

Any word on how this build turned out?
- Eric

jimrobbington
02-11-2012, 08:38 AM
What tuning were you on on the "before" dyno?

glissoar
02-12-2012, 05:37 PM
What tuning were you on on the "before" dyno?

I was running APR Stage 1, a terrible terrible tune, not worth the money at all!

Any word on how this build turned out?
- Eric

It's almost done, been doing alot of data logs to get the tune right, should hopefully be putting it on the final dyno run this week and then I'll post final dyno sheet of what it puts down

drumnjuny
02-13-2012, 06:56 AM
very excited to see some dyno results!!

glissoar
02-13-2012, 05:22 PM
very excited to see some dyno results!!

you and me both! Its killin me right now, Log after log after log! I just want to program done so we can strap that thing on the Dyno! but you can't rush perfection LOL!

bitskyline
02-13-2012, 08:53 PM
a company already does that... its called Chrysler.... blegh

most inconsistent vehicles I work on.

SykoraA4
02-15-2012, 08:14 AM
any preliminary power numbers yet?

glissoar
02-15-2012, 04:30 PM
any preliminary power numbers yet?

did a butt dyno today which felt great! Paul was doing some more data logs to send to Jeff so I went along for the ride and it pulls for sure! No guarantee's but we are shooting to hit 300 whp. They are trying to get the idle corrected, right now the programming is idling to high, and there are a few other minor things that need to be tweaked. We did have a chipped Acura TL try to mess with us while we were out logging and we straight walked away from him no contest!

SykoraA4
02-15-2012, 04:34 PM
any smoke with the RS4 injectors?

glissoar
02-15-2012, 04:50 PM
any smoke with the RS4 injectors?

so far yes, but not bad, but we are working on cleaning that up, Jeff thinks he can clean that out, he just has to play with the tune a little, Apparently RS4 injectors are harder to tune with than S3 injectors

SykoraA4
02-15-2012, 06:27 PM
yeah... which is why i was surprised you opted for them. every other K04/K0R setup I've seen uses the S3 injectors.

glissoar
02-15-2012, 06:40 PM
yeah... which is why i was surprised you opted for them. every other K04/K0R setup I've seen uses the S3 injectors.

Price is what directed me towards them mainly, it will all work out in the end the tuning process is taking longer than expected, but I will say Paul is being quite a stand up guy since we are buddies and he is not charging me any extra for the extra time he has had to spend doing logs to get the tune right with the Rs4 injectors

SykoraA4
02-17-2012, 07:45 AM
How did you IAT's compare before and after with the fmic? were you able to compare any logs?

glissoar
02-17-2012, 12:35 PM
How did you IAT's compare before and after with the fmic? were you able to compare any logs?

I havnt personally looked at the logs to compare, I'll see if Paul has them saved so I can post them up to see the difference

glissoar
02-20-2012, 11:32 AM
So I went by the shop today in hopes that the car would be done, but only to find out that I am having a boost leak now, the Boost tap that came with my forge DV had a blown O ring, no biggie I'll just get a new one, got a new ring and it is still leaking and the car isn't holding proper boost and is idling funny so I ordered 42 draft designs FSI boost tap
http://store.42draftdesigns.com/assets/images/cnc/mk5taps/mk5bgt01.jpg
so this should be here by tomorrow, its coming from Blackforest industries which is only like 4 or 5 hours away from me, lets hope this works because im and definitely ready to have my car back

drumnjuny
02-20-2012, 02:15 PM
damn, that sucks! are you certain the leak is coming from the boost tap?

glissoar
02-20-2012, 02:41 PM
damn, that sucks! are you certain the leak is coming from the boost tap?

Ya there was a busted o ring, so if thats not the total problem is is part of it! The Forge boost tap fits really loose

drumnjuny
02-20-2012, 03:12 PM
well hopefully this fixes it [up] can't wait to see the final numbers. at least you just did piping and whatnot right with your fmic, so it's easier to locate the leak i'm sure!

glissoar
02-20-2012, 06:20 PM
well hopefully this fixes it [up] can't wait to see the final numbers. at least you just did piping and whatnot right with your fmic, so it's easier to locate the leak i'm sure!

Ya I hope so too man! It taken a week longer than expected!

baldy
02-20-2012, 11:47 PM
I bought the 42DD tap myself... and then removed it a few days later because the oil vapors ended up dripping oil to my boost gauge sender unit and the gauge stopped working... Had to clean it out... But in reality it was because the seals on my K03 were letting oil blow through, so you shouldn't have any issues..

The piece looks slick, and it does make for a clean install though...

SykoraA4
02-21-2012, 11:07 AM
So I went by the shop today in hopes that the car would be done, but only to find out that I am having a boost leak now, the Boost tap that came with my forge DV had a blown O ring, no biggie I'll just get a new one, got a new ring and it is still leaking and the car isn't holding proper boost and is idling funny so I ordered 42 draft designs FSI boost tap
http://store.42draftdesigns.com/assets/images/cnc/mk5taps/mk5bgt01.jpg
so this should be here by tomorrow, its coming from Blackforest industries which is only like 4 or 5 hours away from me, lets hope this works because im and definitely ready to have my car back

Did the guys run a smoke test to make sure you werent leaking boost anywhere else?

Idle issues could also be a vacuum leak.

glissoar
02-21-2012, 12:36 PM
Did the guys run a smoke test to make sure you werent leaking boost anywhere else?

Idle issues could also be a vacuum leak.
This should fix it since the o rings were busted on the forge tap, I put new o rings in the forge one and it made the idle alot better but it was still fitting loose so the 42dd one should fix it, it needed to be replaced anyway, if this doesn't work then it's back to the drawing board!

glissoar
02-22-2012, 08:49 AM
New update boost leak has been found, it was the oem dv that had blown, we had taken the forge one out and replaced it with an oem one which had failed, causing a boost leak, have a new one on the way will post pictures of the new dv on order tonight

drumnjuny
02-22-2012, 09:08 AM
congrats! almost there.

glissoar
02-22-2012, 07:57 PM
congrats! almost there.

Cross your fingers it will be going on the dyno tomorrow if the part comes in!!![wrench]

SykoraA4
02-23-2012, 07:37 AM
keep us posted!

glissoar
02-23-2012, 11:36 AM
keep us posted!
Samco sport db just came in and is going on the car as I'm typing this
http://www.optionsauto.com/images/sam-dv1pk.gif

glissoar
02-24-2012, 06:56 AM
New update, dv went in yesterday but now we have to rework the tune to fit with the new dv

jimrobbington
02-24-2012, 07:18 AM
Oh come on already!

JR

glissoar
02-24-2012, 09:46 AM
Oh come on already!

JR

I know terrible right! Taking way longer than planned, but hey you can't rush perfection!

SykoraA4
02-24-2012, 10:11 AM
any idea what adjustments jeff needs to make to the tune to account for the dv?

glissoar
02-24-2012, 11:12 AM
any idea what adjustments jeff needs to make to the tune to account for the dv?
Just needed to adjust boost levels, they were set for the oem dv that was in there before

jimrobbington
02-24-2012, 11:36 AM
How about now?

JR

Charles.waite
02-24-2012, 11:45 AM
How about now?

JR

Literally 10 AZ'ers are hovering over their computers with bated breath furiously clicking refresh.

jimrobbington
02-24-2012, 12:00 PM
The reason the K04 has such a bad rap (imho), is because it has mainly only been sold through APR with their tuning. APR's tuning for this turbo is shit. I love to hate on the K04, but honestly hope that someone actually doing one right with a custom tune can prove me wrong, and it can have more than mediocre performance that APR is ok with.

JR

DavidAAG
02-24-2012, 12:15 PM
It feels like I've been looking at this build for years and it only has been weeks. I want to see what your gonna be pushing already.

glissoar
02-24-2012, 03:02 PM
It feels like I've been looking at this build for years and it only has been weeks. I want to see what your gonna be pushing already.

You and me both man! I'm ready to have my car back! It's been way to long!

glissoar
02-24-2012, 03:16 PM
Idle issue and boost issue are fixed, just talked to Paul, he is just waiting for the final tune from Jeff so we are looking at Monday or Tuesday for the final dyno and the completion of the build

DRAKLORE
02-24-2012, 03:47 PM
What makes the samco so much different from the forge 007

glissoar
02-24-2012, 04:34 PM
What makes the samco so much different from the forge 007

to be honest I have no idea, paul just told me he has used both types in previous builds and has had better performance from the samco dv's than the forge dv's

glissoar
02-27-2012, 10:42 AM
Cross your fingers it will be done today AZ!

SykoraA4
02-27-2012, 10:48 AM
lets get some dynos!!!

drumnjuny
02-27-2012, 11:27 AM
i'm stoked, for you haha! git er doneee

DavidAAG
02-27-2012, 12:53 PM
I'm def looking forward to both yours and operators. Video the dyno :-)

glissoar
02-27-2012, 05:02 PM
Car is done!!!!!! Going in the dyno first thing in the morning!!!!!!

jimrobbington
02-27-2012, 08:01 PM
Hurry up already!

JR

DavidAAG
02-27-2012, 08:59 PM
Hurry up already!

JR

Haha x2

drumnjuny
02-28-2012, 08:13 AM
**drum roll**

▄bermensch
02-28-2012, 08:19 AM
Come on, lets see those K0R smashing numbers!

Smoothie104
02-28-2012, 10:05 AM
Seriously........ WTF

glissoar
02-28-2012, 11:15 AM
Come on, lets see those K0R smashing numbers!

I can't win! One of the tech's at Paul's shop called out sick so he can't take it to the dyno today and I'm working so now we are shooting for tomorrow morning to do the dyno! This is terrible suspense is killing me!

SykoraA4
02-28-2012, 12:35 PM
You feel like making the drive up to RAI's open house/dyno day on the 10th?

drumnjuny
02-28-2012, 12:38 PM
have you been driving the car, or is it still at the shop?

glissoar
02-28-2012, 12:49 PM
have you been driving the car, or is it still at the shop?

Na I have not, it's sitting at Paul's shop, I have a company car for my job, I test drove it before the tune was complete though

glissoar
02-28-2012, 12:53 PM

I would be all over it but I'm leavin for Jackson hole on the 5th and return on the 11th, gotta get my snowboarding fix in for winter is out, but I would love to go put it on the dyno at RAI ( hopefully fingers crossed) and crush the k0r numbers![evilsmile]

SykoraA4
02-28-2012, 01:08 PM
I would be all over it but I'm leavin for Jackson hole on the 5th and return on the 11th, gotta get my snowboarding fix in for winter is out, but I would love to go put it on the dyno at RAI ( hopefully fingers crossed) and crush the k0r numbers![evilsmile]

Excuses excuses!

glissoar
02-28-2012, 01:29 PM
Excuses excuses!

I think that's a damn good excuse[>_<]

DavidAAG
02-28-2012, 01:41 PM
Booooo. Looks like I don't have keep refreshing Tapatalk lol.

glissoar
02-28-2012, 01:48 PM
Booooo. Looks like I don't have keep refreshing Tapatalk lol.
Lol I'm booing just as hard as you! I want this thing on the dyno! Tomorrow should be D day! Cross your fingers for me we all know iv been saying it was going to be done and dyno posted for at least a week now lol!

audi8844
02-28-2012, 06:32 PM

That's what we wanna see... this K04 vs. K0R on same dyno!! Make it happen

glissoar
02-28-2012, 06:59 PM
That's what we wanna see... this K04 vs. K0R on same dyno!! Make it happen

Im contemplating getting my roommate to drive my car up to this dyno day! So that we can have the all out Battle. This will either shoot RAI's sales through the roof (if my car doesn't produce the numbers im shooting for) or mess them up depending on where my car dyno's at tomorrow

drumnjuny
02-28-2012, 07:04 PM
Im contemplating getting my roommate to drive my car up to this dyno day! So that we can have the all out Battle. This will either shoot RAI's sales through the roof (if my car doesn't produce the numbers im shooting for) or mess them up depending on where my car dyno's at tomorrow

i am betting on the latter. not because you won't put up higher numbers... even if you do put up a (lets be honest on a k04) MASSIVE 330/330, that won't be enough to deter the KOR's stock location causing price difference... the ability to run on a stage 2+ tune... to add one component at a time is worth a lot to a lot of people!!

audi8844
02-28-2012, 07:05 PM
DO IT! I need to be getting ready for traveling to Atl that Sunday, but I might be able to make some time to come by to see this!

glissoar
02-28-2012, 07:29 PM
i am betting on the latter. not because you won't put up higher numbers... even if you do put up a (lets be honest on a k04) MASSIVE 330/330, that won't be enough to deter the KOR's stock location causing price difference... the ability to run on a stage 2+ tune... to add one component at a time is worth a lot to a lot of people!!

My build has cost me $5400 for everything, my car was stage one with exhaust before this build, not sure what the K0R costs but everything on my car fits in stock location, you can't even tell my car has a ko4, if you pop my hood it looks completely stock, plus you can run the k04 on a stage 1 or 2 tune you just won't have the max power the turbo is capable of. Honestly though I have no idea what my car is going to put out tomorrow, when I started this build I said I would be happy with 280WHP, then Me an Paul started talking about hitting 300+WHP, so either way whatever it puts out as long as Im over 280whp I will be happy with the build!

drumnjuny
02-28-2012, 07:44 PM
i thought k04's couldn't fit in stock location... i guess i'm wrong? if it does then the convenience factor is evened out, but from what i understood that was the largest factor in the KOR's advantage over the K04 is that it bolts up in stock location.

K0R would be in a similar price range

SykoraA4
02-28-2012, 07:46 PM

haha if you do send him up and the k04 trumps the K0R, I'll send him back with a case of beer. now if he decides to share... thats up to him

DRAKLORE
02-28-2012, 07:51 PM
i thought k04's couldn't fit in stock location... i guess i'm wrong? if it does then the convenience factor is evened out, but from what i understood that was the largest factor in the KOR's advantage over the K04 is that it bolts up in stock location.

The KO4 housing needs to be modified, there's a piece that needs to be removed.
Iirc if you have a dremel you can modify the KO4 to sit in the stock location

glissoar
02-28-2012, 07:53 PM

Ya check the pictures from earlier in the thread, I have pictures of the finished engine bay, it looks completely stock

SykoraA4
02-28-2012, 07:56 PM
The KO4 housing needs to be modified, there's a piece that needs to be removed.
Iirc if you have a dremel you can modify the KO4 to sit in the stock location

its not a huge adjustment, but I think you'd need a little more then a dremel. Compressor cover and exhaust manifold need to be altered.

glissoar
02-28-2012, 07:57 PM
haha if you do send him up and the k04 trumps the K0R, I'll send him back with a case of beer. now if he decides to share... thats up to him

Lol! That sounds like a good deal to me! Well I should be posting dyno numbers from my build tomorrow anyway so if RAI has a dyno from there shop car I would love for them to post it in this thread so we can compare

glissoar
02-28-2012, 08:01 PM
its not a huge adjustment, but I think you'd need a little more then a dremel. Compressor cover and exhaust manifold need to be altered.
All Paul had to change was the flange on my HFC to fit the ko4 and order different oil lines, pretty sure everything else went right in with no mods

Operator
02-28-2012, 08:01 PM
RAI has a dyno from there shop car I would love for them to post it in this thread so we can compare

The only true way to compare of course is for both cars to dyno on the same dyno, right after one another. To my knowledge, RAI uses a Mustang dyno, which is stinger on numbers than a dynojet. So the main thing to compare tomorrow, are your gains from your previous dyno's.

Operator
02-28-2012, 08:03 PM
And to be 100% honest, no matter what number your car hits tomorrow, driving it will be a night and day difference from before, and each time you accelerate, a smile will break across your face. Don't put to much into numbers, and just enjoy the car!!!

SykoraA4
02-28-2012, 08:04 PM
only downfall is the two different types of dyno's. RAI's is a Mustang and not a Dynojet, so you can't directly compare them.

Edit. Beaten too it. And Operator's last post is right on point. even when I was still running stage 2 tuning my car made me smile. You'll love the turbo.

glissoar
02-28-2012, 08:16 PM
And to be 100% honest, no matter what number your car hits tomorrow, driving it will be a night and day difference from before, and each time you accelerate, a smile will break across your face. Don't put to much into numbers, and just enjoy the car!!!

I can't agree more! All numbers aside you are completely right, my original dyno was 186 WHP, so I know either way I'm going to be very happy with the build even if I'm not putting out more power than the k0r

drumnjuny
02-28-2012, 09:11 PM
I can't agree more! All numbers aside you are completely right, my original dyno was 186 WHP, so I know either way I'm going to be very happy with the build even if I'm not putting out more power than the k0r

agreed i don't think it should be a competition, haha. and i don't think it will matter in the end, you'd be happy with either as the difference will be nominal

DavidAAG
02-29-2012, 05:26 AM
Today is the day!!!! Sorry for going off topic here but where is this rai dyno event located that I'm reading about? I'll go if it isn't too far.

audi8844
02-29-2012, 05:47 AM
Today is the day!!!! Sorry for going off topic here but where is this rai dyno event located that I'm reading about? I'll go if it isn't too far.

It is at their shop:

RAI Motorsport
3916 North Point Road
Unit F
Dundalk, Maryland

Looking forward to some dyno comparisons of before and after!

glissoar
02-29-2012, 09:01 AM
Car is on the dyno now as I'm typing this! I'm at work so I couldn't be there to film it but I should be able to post the dyno sheet very soon!

Sales@RAI
02-29-2012, 09:05 AM
Good luck! Such suspense when you put your car on the dyno

DavidAAG
02-29-2012, 09:18 AM
Finally. Can't wait.

glissoar
02-29-2012, 09:19 AM
Epic fail! I don't even want to post my dyno's now, bottom line if RAI is putting to the wheels what the k0r is supposed to be they are right and the k04 is an obsolete turbo solution

viziers
02-29-2012, 09:23 AM
Ut oh, this is not turning out to be good news!!!!

vizi

glissoar
02-29-2012, 09:27 AM
Ut oh, this is not turning out to be good news!!!!

vizi
Ya it def did not turn out good, I feel like I just wasted 6 grand

drumnjuny
02-29-2012, 09:28 AM
sorry!! I might never dyno my car haha, just to keep from being disappointed. not sure i've had many people dyno and expect less than they actually put down...

numbers don't matter! have fun driving the car as i'm sure its a blast

glissoar
02-29-2012, 09:31 AM
sorry!! I might never dyno my car haha, just to keep from being disappointed. not sure i've had many people dyno and expect less than they actually put down...

numbers don't matter! have fun driving the car as i'm sure its a blast

Oh it's def much faster and fun to drive but I didn't even hit my bottom line WHP I said I would be ok with

jimrobbington
02-29-2012, 09:34 AM
I hate to say it, but I saw this coming. K04 is shit. I was hoping something could be done with custom tuning, but alas, the K04 is no bueno. Let me guess, 275 whp?

JR

drumnjuny
02-29-2012, 10:05 AM
can you replace the turbine like in a GT series turbo to potentially get more top end power?

Smoothie104
02-29-2012, 10:50 AM
255?

SykoraA4
02-29-2012, 11:02 AM
don't get too hung up. I'm sure there might be a few things you can tweek. (intercooler for one... you might be able to gain back the 15 hp you lost). how'd the curve look? Will they be revisiting the tune? What are you boosting and whats the requested fuel pressure?

▄bermensch
02-29-2012, 11:06 AM
240 - 260?

glissoar
02-29-2012, 11:06 AM
I hate to say it, but I saw this coming. K04 is shit. I was hoping something could be done with custom tuning, but alas, the K04 is no bueno. Let me guess, 275 whp?

JR

I hit 260whp, I talked to Paul and he said if I had opted for pistons and rods I would be around the 300 mark, he said they turned down the tune so I wouldn't blow a a rod threw my block

SykoraA4
02-29-2012, 11:16 AM
260 is not bad. i mean, you are up almost 80whp from your last dyno. are you still getting any smoke from the rs4's? and did you pick up on of the PRV's from hpfpupgrade? what was your torque?

SykoraA4
02-29-2012, 11:20 AM
did i ask enough questions all at once... jeeze sorry about that.

DavidAAG
02-29-2012, 11:24 AM
Oh wow. Now that would really piss me off to spend that much and not gain what I expected. U think the maestro tune will work with the ko4. Just a suggestion. Cuz I'm sure we don't need new rods or pistons for that.

Sales@RAI
02-29-2012, 11:31 AM
Oh wow. Now that would really piss me off to spend that much and not gain what I expected. U think the maestro tune will work with the ko4. Just a suggestion. Cuz I'm sure we don't need new rods or pistons for that.

Yes it does.

OP, how much boost were you running?

DRAKLORE
02-29-2012, 11:46 AM
That is a bummer, but it does solidify some of the things that have been said about the KO4 upgrade.

I too am interested in what kind of boost you were peaking.

glissoar
02-29-2012, 12:05 PM
Yes it does.

OP, how much boost were you running?
Running right 21lbs of boost

glissoar
02-29-2012, 12:08 PM
260 is not bad. i mean, you are up almost 80whp from your last dyno. are you still getting any smoke from the rs4's? and did you pick up on of the PRV's from hpfpupgrade? what was your torque?

No smoke right now but it's hard to tell cause it's raining here, did not get one of the prv's, 275 torque
But the car is tuned down so I don't throw a rod, if I upgrade internals, I can rework the tune and get more power

drumnjuny
02-29-2012, 12:10 PM
No smoke right now but it's hard to tell cause it's raining here, did not get one of the prv's, 275 torque
But the car is tuned down so I don't throw a rod, if I upgrade internals, I can rework the tune and get more power

k04s have reached higher numbers and you're at sea level so you should definitely be able to squeeze more power out of it. must be a pretty conservative tune

SykoraA4
02-29-2012, 12:28 PM

not to kick you while your down... but that sounds like they are feeding you a line to me.. I mean.. why would they tell you you'd hit your goal of 300 wheel no problem, knowing the characteristics of a smaller turbo and the parameters of your build and then tell you its "detuned" when it doesnt make the expected power? I mean I got the impression that this wasn't going to be a "conservative" build by any means, and that they set out to really trying to push the known envelope of this turbo... Something just doesn't add up.

drumnjuny
02-29-2012, 12:35 PM
not to kick you while your down... but that sounds like they are feeding you a line to me.. I mean.. why would they tell you you'd hit your goal of 300 wheel no problem, knowing the characteristics of a smaller turbo and the parameters of your build and then tell you its "detuned" when it doesnt make the expected power? I mean I got the impression that this wasn't going to be a "conservative" build by any means, and that they set out to really trying to push the known envelope of this turbo... Something just doesn't add up.

how much more boost can these k04 peak at? i too was under the impression that they were going to push your car much farther. are you fwd or quattro? (sorry if i missed it somewhere in this thread)

ericpaulyoung
02-29-2012, 01:05 PM
K04 lover here. Dude, 260 to the wheels ain't bad, and likely fun as hell. If you didnt have that dyno piece of paper in your hand, would you have been happy with the way it is driving? If so who cares what a dyno says. This is the opposite of some guys that get super pumped that their slow car is all the sudden fast just because a dyno says they have xxx hp. Dynos are subjective, and the detuned line is BS. Get someone to tune that biaatch.
Eric

Sales@RAI
02-29-2012, 04:35 PM
log your timing curve and timing pull if you can, the stock SMICs might be crushing your timing/power

Operator
02-29-2012, 04:46 PM
He has a FMIC

http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/380117_249728461755004_116011651793353_717060_3442 6848_n.jpg

swoardrider
02-29-2012, 05:49 PM
260AWHP sounds about right where the Stasis K04 is on a Mustang dyno. If you want 300AWHP, run a 100oct file with either race gas or meth.

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2719/4382216871_d68a31c4bc_z.jpg?zz=1

glissoar
02-29-2012, 06:01 PM
[QUOTE=swoardrider;7330154]260AWHP sounds about right where the Stasis K04 is on a Mustang dyno. If you want 300AWHP, run a 100oct file with either race gas or meth.

So I have been doing numerous highway pulls in the car since i got off work, I must say if I had not put the car on the dyno I would be very pleased with the way the build was done, it pulls so smooth through all gears, and I don't have any fuel cuts at all I can run it all the way to redline! But the way Im looking at this is its just a stepping stone to where I want to be, my next plan is to save up and get pistons and rods and rework the tune pushing higher boost levels to really push the K04, as well as run water meth. Im not settling for where Im at, I love love love driving the car now, but i want to push the envelope with this turbo. Worst case if all fails, I'll sell the K04 and go with like a gt28, at that point my engine will be fully built and I will have already laid all the ground work for going with a larger turbo to put out more impressive power

ericpaulyoung
03-01-2012, 03:43 AM
Great plan. nothing says you can't change out later. Who knows, you may even change back. The most important thing is that you like driving the car regardless of the numbers it throws down.
Eric

DRAKLORE
03-01-2012, 05:36 AM
Sell it to ericpaulyoung for 5k$ and buy a different turbo :-)
Jk- just like any mod, 40hp gain feels great and will hold
You over for quite some time. During that time you can tweak and perfect the setup and who
Knows you may just hit 300whp eventually.

glissoar
03-01-2012, 06:40 AM
Sell it to ericpaulyoung for 5k$ and buy a different turbo :-)
Jk- just like any mod, 40hp gain feels great and will hold
You over for quite some time. During that time you can tweak and perfect the setup and who
Knows you may just hit 300whp eventually.

Considering I dyno'd 187 WHP before the build and I'm now at 260 WHP 70 WHP gain feels great, even if I can only squeeze 20-30 more WHP out of the ko4 I will be happy with that but either way if I build the internals I will be set up for a larger turbo if I ever want to go bigger, so I'm not complaining now , I'm still much faster than the majority of cars on the road, stock evo's and sti's I should be able to play with and have a lot of fun I'm interested to see how I will match up with 335's as well! And since I live in va beach and we have the largest military base in US right here there are plenty of military boys with all kinds whips just looking for somebody to race!

CorneliusRox
03-01-2012, 06:43 AM
When you are ready to sell, send me a PM. I wouldnt mine a K0R.

jimrobbington
03-01-2012, 06:53 AM
So, did you ever post your dyno sheet? We need to see that curve! Peak numbers aren't as important as area under the curve and largest improved distance. Sure, my torque hits 300 to the wheels......for a split second. Then it's straight down at a 45░ angle. If you hold peak torque for a span of 2000 rpms, that's awesome.

JR

glissoar
03-01-2012, 07:07 AM
So, did you ever post your dyno sheet? We need to see that curve! Peak numbers aren't as important as area under the curve and largest improved distance. Sure, my torque hits 300 to the wheels......for a split second. Then it's straight down at a 45░ angle. If you hold peak torque for a span of 2000 rpms, that's awesome.

JR

Ya I have the sheets I'll post them tonight when I'm home from work

glissoar
03-01-2012, 07:09 AM
When you are ready to sell, send me a PM. I wouldnt mine a K0R.

I'll sell you my Ko3, then you will have a core to send to RAI

DRAKLORE
03-01-2012, 07:57 AM
Yeah sorry for the mix up, I was
Thinking of JRs KO3 numbers vs your KO4 numbers

ericpaulyoung
03-01-2012, 10:40 AM
260AWHP sounds about right where the Stasis K04 is on a Mustang dyno. If you want 300AWHP, run a 100oct file with either race gas or meth.

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2719/4382216871_d68a31c4bc_z.jpg?zz=1

That torque curve is awesome!!

jimrobbington
03-01-2012, 10:58 AM
That's what I'm saying. Wether or not it's peak numbers are the greatest, the usable power under the curve is immense compared to mine.

JR

SykoraA4
03-01-2012, 11:03 AM
I'm still blown that they're telling you you'd need to build your engine to max out your KO4. its a KO4... its barely a stage 3 turbo... Stock hardware should suit you fine even with the aggressive tune. To me they should have worked backwards, Achieved 300wheel and then detuned it instead of supposing if you build you will magically get there. It just seems what you were told and what they delivered doesn't justify the cost. False advertising if you ask me.

seal66
03-01-2012, 11:25 AM
Who did your install?

Operator
03-01-2012, 11:31 AM
^^ It's all in the OP.

glissoar
03-01-2012, 12:59 PM
I'm still blown that they're telling you you'd need to build your engine to max out your KO4. its a KO4... its barely a stage 3 turbo... Stock hardware should suit you fine even with the aggressive tune. To me they should have worked backwards, Achieved 300wheel and then detuned it instead of supposing if you build you will magically get there. It just seems what you were told and what they delivered doesn't justify the cost. False advertising if you ask me.

I agree with you it does sound sketch but Paul is one of my good friends iv know him since before I got my car, I would hope that he wouldn't screw me like that just to get more money out of my pocket, I have still yet to see a dyno where someone was putting out higher numbers than what I am currently at maybe I just havnt searched enough, maybe jeff needs to drive my car and redo the tune, this is the first b7 ko4 build he has tuned so my file he made is like the pilot program for united, there are so many what ifs and should have beens being said, I'm just not going to worry about it and just enjoy the car, not think about the numbers or what I spent, just me happy to be driving a fast car maybe not the fastest b7 but it puts a smile on my face when I drive it

Operator
03-01-2012, 01:19 PM
I agree with you it does sound sketch but Paul is one of my good friends iv know him since before I got my car, I would hope that he wouldn't screw me like that just to get more money out of my pocket, I have still yet to see a dyno where someone was putting out higher numbers than what I am currently at maybe I just havnt searched enough, maybe jeff needs to drive my car and redo the tune, this is the first b7 ko4 build he has tuned so my file he made is like the pilot program for united, there are so many what ifs and should have beens being said, I'm just not going to worry about it and just enjoy the car, not think about the numbers or what I spent, just me happy to be driving a fast car maybe not the fastest b7 but it puts a smile on my face when I drive it

All that matters man! And I doubt your friend would do anything else but try to do what's best for your car. You can revisit your tune, as you add more hardware. For now, go out and DRIVE!!!!

CorneliusRox
03-01-2012, 01:25 PM
All that matters man! And I doubt your friend would do anything else but try to do what's best for your car. You can revisit your tune, as you add more hardware. For now, go out and DRIVE!!!!

x2

camoto
03-01-2012, 01:36 PM
x2

X3. Look, I am sure being a K04 guy that everyone's gonna roll their eyes at this.... but:
Why are you so focused on HP numbers? Having a nice, long, flat torque curve nice and early in the RPM's is what makes the car drive like that (ala putting the smile on your face). HP numbers are great for bragging, but it's the TQ numbers that move you down the road. "Max HP" is a point in time calculation and it's awesome for bragging rights but in reality pulling big TQ numbers along your RPM range gives you more get up and go.

Horsepower = Torque x RPM / 5252

I am not impressed with a HP line that has a big spike over 6K RPM. If you drive around winding out your motor like that everywhere you go then great, but it's not how most people drive.

I'm not just trying to make you feel better, I believe in math.

glissoar
03-01-2012, 02:59 PM
I appreciate all the support from az! Imma go drive and love where I'm at! But this is not the end of the story only the stepping stone to a greater means and a better performing car, so this build is a to be continued status, I will push the envelope and reach my goals!

SykoraA4
03-01-2012, 03:02 PM
Gotta hand it to you man, you got the right attitude, and in the end its still a heck of a daily driver. enjoy it, and keep us posted on the progress!

glissoar
03-01-2012, 05:36 PM
Car just exploded!!!!! Driving down the highway normal speed and boom! Oil everywhere

Operator
03-01-2012, 05:38 PM
I don't believe you. You're joking right?!? RIGHT?!?

drumnjuny
03-01-2012, 05:39 PM
[=(] say it aint so!

glissoar
03-01-2012, 05:40 PM
No joke! Tow truck is on the way, oil all over the turbo side of the car

glissoar
03-01-2012, 05:41 PM
Just driving a boom, oil pressure light came on and check engine flashing, immediately pulled over, sooo pissed right now

drumnjuny
03-01-2012, 05:43 PM
hopefully just an oil line that came loose?

SykoraA4
03-01-2012, 05:50 PM
shittt...

jimrobbington
03-01-2012, 05:57 PM
OMFG!!! I can't even believe this right now. My car is as close to me as my dog, and I know the feeling. Keep us updated. And this is where you find out wether this shop has good customer service. You should be 100% warranteeable parts + labor, considering how few miles I am sure you have put into it. Keep your head up! Maybe it's dead and you can now have a bigger turbo put in for free!!!!!!

glissoar
03-01-2012, 06:14 PM
OMFG!!! I can't even believe this right now. My car is as close to me as my dog, and I know the feeling. Keep us updated. And this is where you find out wether this shop has good customer service. You should be 100% warranteeable parts + labor, considering how few miles I am sure you have put into it. Keep your head up! Maybe it's dead and you can now have a bigger turbo put in for free!!!!!!

I feel sick so sick, I couldn't have put more than 30 miles on the car since I got it back this is terrible!

jimrobbington
03-01-2012, 06:23 PM
I would probably cry. But it's better now than later. Right now, it "should" (fucking better be) be 100% out of cost to fix this situation. Could be a blessing in disguise.

Smoothie104
03-01-2012, 06:29 PM
If this is a snapped rod with a K04?.... here come da haters!!

glissoar
03-01-2012, 07:07 PM
So i decided that the best way to deal with this was to drink away my sorrows
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-gN5PSQRx0YQ/TWCfKT6kW9I/AAAAAAAAArw/TPCa5hIT0ow/s400/steel+Reserve+Malt+liquor+40+oz.jpg

made sure to get something nasty!