PDA

View Full Version : (glissoar's) - K04 Turbo Build

Pages : 1 [2] 3

okswerve16
03-01-2012, 08:09 PM
now you have a good excuse for a real build [wrench]

glissoar
03-01-2012, 08:11 PM
I update whats wrong with the car is the morning, hope its just an oil return line or something like that

ericpaulyoung
03-01-2012, 08:13 PM
So i decided that the best way to deal with this was to drink away my sorrows
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-gN5PSQRx0YQ/TWCfKT6kW9I/AAAAAAAAArw/TPCa5hIT0ow/s400/steel+Reserve+Malt+liquor+40+oz.jpg

made sure to get something nasty!

We all send love for you.
Eric

glissoar
03-01-2012, 08:18 PM
We all send love for you.
Eric

Thanks man that means alot!

DavidAAG
03-01-2012, 11:45 PM
Noooo!! I can't believe I just read this!!!..... How??? This was a conservative tune job. Damn i was just speechless after reading that.

DRAKLORE
03-02-2012, 12:27 AM
I really doubt this is a rod issue, of so Ericpaulyoung will have some Splainin to do!

Glissoar- really sorry to hear this, :-( I'm sure it's just an oil line and you pulled
Over immediately so the motor is good.
If it
Was a rod you would have heard/felt a terrible shock and then lots of vibration.
Good Luck

viziers
03-02-2012, 05:36 AM
Almost sounds like he blew a seal on the turbo (just guessing without seeing it in person or even pics)....

vizi

glissoar
03-02-2012, 05:43 AM
Almost sounds like he blew a seal on the turbo (just guessing without seeing it in person or even pics)....

vizi

It's either got to be that or an oil return line, Im going to ask paul if he used upgraded steel return lines today. The only thing that gets me was that basicly the all of the oil just spilled out of the car

viziers
03-02-2012, 05:48 AM
It's either got to be that or an oil return line, Im going to ask paul if he used upgraded steel return lines today. The only thing that gets me was that basicly the all of the oil just spilled out of the car

Well when you find out post it up as I may have stock parts you can have to replace anything that is broken all you would have to do is pay for shipping..

vizi

glissoar
03-02-2012, 05:53 AM
Well when you find out post it up as I may have stock parts you can have to replace anything that is broken all you would have to do is pay for shipping..

vizi

Thanks man I would really appreciate that, I'll let you know, but Im going to fight for Paul's shop to cover it, I mean I Literally had the car back barley even 24 hours

viziers
03-02-2012, 06:03 AM
Thanks man I would really appreciate that, I'll let you know, but Im going to fight for Paul's shop to cover it, I mean I Literally had the car back barley even 24 hours

I would think they would warranty it as they did the work and it would be pretty bad customer service if they did not (almost as bad as Vasts customer service as of lately)....

vizi

Lazze
03-02-2012, 06:52 AM
Sorry to hear. Hope itīs just a oil line or something simple.

glissoar
03-02-2012, 08:28 AM
Car is on the lift now and Paul is checking it out, will update as soon as I know what's going on

viziers
03-02-2012, 08:51 AM
Fingers crossed that it is something very easy to fix!

vizi

ericpaulyoung
03-02-2012, 09:30 AM
gotta be a bad seal, if it was a rod, you would have known it. Sorry to hear about your troubles.
- Eric

glissoar
03-02-2012, 09:34 AM
Engine is done, no fixing it, there is a hole in the block, oil pump blew up like a bomb, it's done

viziers
03-02-2012, 09:36 AM
AWWWW man.. What caused the oil pump to die, did he say???

oil pump chain snap? Maybe the balance shafts siezed causing the oil pump to fail?!?!?!?

vizi

okswerve16
03-02-2012, 09:49 AM
I dont see how an oil pump failure would cause a rod failure, seems like he threw a rod and because of that the oil pump blew since the rod probably shot pieces throughout the engine.

okswerve16
03-02-2012, 09:50 AM
post up that dyno so we can see how hard that torque spike hits

viziers
03-02-2012, 09:52 AM
I dont see how an oil pump failure would cause a rod failure, seems like he threw a rod and because of that the oil pump blew since the rod probably shot pieces throughout the engine.

He never said a rod failed "yet" (<--was not trying to sound like a dick) just that the oil pump failed....

vizi

CorneliusRox
03-02-2012, 09:54 AM
Engine is done, no fixing it, there is a hole in the block, oil pump blew up like a bomb, it's done

such a bummer. I am really sorry to hear this.

I guess you have two choices. Buy a block, 1.8t oil pump (since they are a lot cheaper), build the engine, get the craziest tune you can. Or, part it...

Man that SUCKS!!

Definitely try and find out how the pump failed. I am very curious.

okswerve16
03-02-2012, 09:55 AM
He never said a rod failed "yet" (<--was not trying to sound like a dick) just that the oil pump failed....

vizi

Yeah but he said there was a hole in the block lol

viziers
03-02-2012, 09:57 AM
Yeah but he said there was a hole in the block lol

Ahhh, you do have a point there..... Maybe he can get pics of the carcas (I know its a morbid thought).

vizi

SykoraA4
03-02-2012, 10:01 AM
shittt... can they directly tie the oil pump failure to the build? a buddy of mine had his oilpump blow in his a3, audi covered half the cost of the new engine... he hadn't done a turbo swap or anything, but was stage2+ and AOA still helped him out. Shit man... best of luck..

glissoar
03-02-2012, 10:03 AM
AWWWW man.. What caused the oil pump to die, did he say???

oil pump chain snap? Maybe the balance shafts siezed causing the oil pump to fail?!?!?!?

vizi
He said it looks like the engine was reved to high and pump and chain dissentagrated

okswerve16
03-02-2012, 10:06 AM
He said it looks like the engine was reved to high and pump and chain dissentagrated

Did he raise your rev-limiter?

viziers
03-02-2012, 10:15 AM
If I remember correctly the ECU stores data when the rev's are exceded?

Oh and with him saying that is he saying that being it was "over reved" that it voided your warranty? If so that is very uncool!

vizi

okswerve16
03-02-2012, 10:18 AM

Oh and with him saying that is he saying that being it was "over reved" that it voided your warranty? If so that is very uncool!

vizi

Exactly, so if he kept the stop limiter it would be stored as an over-rev code.

glissoar
03-02-2012, 10:30 AM

vizi
As far as i know he didn't give me any warranty on the build

glissoar
03-02-2012, 10:32 AM
I'm going to talk to Paul now

glissoar
03-02-2012, 10:33 AM
I feel completely broken right now, soul is ripped apart this is terrible

viziers
03-02-2012, 10:37 AM
As far as i know he didn't give me any warranty on the build

Really? That is very surprising for a shop not to stand behind their work IMO!!!!

vizi

viziers
03-02-2012, 10:43 AM

Don't be too down, as there are a LOT of members here who im sure have stock parts that would be willing to help a forum member out.. the biggest thing is getting a block.. Maybe Okswerb(sp?) maybe able to help on the block part??

vizi

ericpaulyoung
03-02-2012, 10:43 AM

This really sucks man. There is a guy in the classifieds that is selling a complete motor for like $1200, and you could probably get a good deal on it.

How high were you revving it when it blew up?
- Eric

glissoar
03-02-2012, 10:54 AM
Don't be too down, as there are a LOT of members here who im sure have stock parts that would be willing to help a forum member out.. the biggest thing is getting a block.. Maybe Okswerb(sp?) maybe able to help on the block part??

vizi
Looks like a link in the oil chain broke and caused everything to explode

DRAKLORE
03-02-2012, 10:55 AM
I really feel terrible, I was almost certain there was no way you could have blown a rod :-(

Good luck

viziers
03-02-2012, 11:04 AM

Sheesh, ifit was the oil pump chain that caused it then no id assume the shop reallyhas no responsability to a warranty unless they rebuilt the motor of which case they probably would have replaced the chain on the rebuild but im not too sure of it..

vizi

DavidAAG
03-02-2012, 11:17 AM
No. This scares me now. I go to shop for my turbo build Monday or Tuesday. I would feel the same way if something like this happens to me.

CorneliusRox
03-02-2012, 11:37 AM
That Cory guy on here is doing his build with an extra block. When he swaps it into his car you should see if he'll give you a deal on his old one.

camoto
03-02-2012, 11:45 AM
So sorry to hear it man.

I'd be curious to see the pump/balance shafts and their condition to see if that contributed to the issue. The chain (unless it was severely defective) shouldn't just snap like that. I would think that something had to have either put it under enough stress to break or something got jammed in the balance shaft gears. (a piece of piston skirt perhaps? I dunno just speculating but it might be interesting to tear it down and look)

QUATTROA4B7
03-02-2012, 12:13 PM
Wow. Without reading a single post prior to today, I decided to read this whole build thread from the beginning.
I figured I might catch a tip or two from the thread, for my future BT build. I really felt your excitement and anticipation
through the first pages with parts installed, tune revisions being done, number hopes, etc. I thought it was great that
you looked at the 260whp k04 as a stepping stone for something bigger. With all that said, my heart dropped for you
when you mentioned the engine pop, and when the engine was determined done. I am very sorry to hear what happened,
I hope you find a way to turn this negative experience into something positive, one way or another. Good luck [up]

glissoar
03-02-2012, 12:20 PM
So sorry to hear it man.

I'd be curious to see the pump/balance shafts and their condition to see if that contributed to the issue. The chain (unless it was severely defective) shouldn't just snap like that. I would think that something had to have either put it under enough stress to break or something got jammed in the balance shaft gears. (a piece of piston skirt perhaps? I dunno just speculating but it might be interesting to tear it down and look)

I forgot to take a picture but I looked at everything, when they pulled the oil pan out everything was just sitting in the pan in hundreds of peices, the pump the oil chain, and some of the pistons were all broken like someone had set off a pipe bomb in my engine and disintegrated everything, we thing I had a defective link in the oil chain which failed and caused the internals to explode, Paul agreed to do everything at cost and is going to throw in pistons and rods on his tab, the ko4 build had nothing to do with the failure, just simply a weak link in the chain and it was its time to go, would have gone build or no build just the build made it happen at a faster rate

okswerve16
03-02-2012, 12:23 PM

I think it makes more sense the other way around, that because you threw a rod cause the balance shafts/oil pump to rip the chain. Until you get pics its really all speculation though. Was the hole in the block? or the oil pan? Try to get some pics if you can.

okswerve16
03-02-2012, 12:30 PM
I forgot to take a picture but I looked at everything, when they pulled the oil pan out everything was just sitting in the pan in hundreds of peices, the pump the oil chain, and some of the pistons were all broken like someone had set off a pipe bomb in my engine and disintegrated everything, we thing I had a defective link in the oil chain which failed and caused the internals to explode, Paul agreed to do everything at cost and is going to throw in pistons and rods on his tab, the ko4 build had nothing to do with the failure, just simply a weak link in the chain and it was its time to go, would have gone build or no build just the build made it happen at a faster rate

The chain breaking will not cause all that damage, when the chain broke you would have lost oil pressure and seen the low pressure warning. It doesnt make sense that losing pressure would cause a catstrophic failure so quickly. The way you described it it was oil pressure warning light misfires and dead. This to me seems like you bent/threw a rod causeing the misfires and due to this caused the oil pump chain to snap.

camoto
03-02-2012, 12:39 PM
Or if it ran super lean, it can cause pistons to break up and that will shell the motor out too. It would be really interesting to see pics and get everyone's on here diagnosing your failure. There would be at least 10 differing expert opinions on what happened.

okswerve16
03-02-2012, 12:43 PM
Or if it ran super lean, it can cause pistons to break up and that will shell the motor out too. It would be really interesting to see pics and get everyone's on here diagnosing your failure. There would be at least 10 differing expert opinions on what happened.

Exactly but the least likely scenario I see is that the oil pump chain breaking caused all of this, I find it really hard to visualize how that could be the root cause.

camoto
03-02-2012, 12:48 PM
Exactly but the least likely scenario I see is that the oil pump chain breaking caused all of this, I find it really hard to visualize how that could be the root cause.
We're going all "Speculation Station" now, but the TDI motor had this issue. So I don't know if it's completely out of the realm of possibility. If the chain broke and folded up just right, it totally could have sheared the input shaft into the balance shafts. Granted, highly unlikely, but you are talking about a massive failure in an area with a gear that spins 2X the speed of the crank. That kind of rotational speed can make a big mess.

okswerve16
03-02-2012, 12:58 PM
We're going all "Speculation Station" now, but the TDI motor had this issue. So I don't know if it's completely out of the realm of possibility. If the chain broke and folded up just right, it totally could have sheared the input shaft into the balance shafts. Granted, highly unlikely, but you are talking about a massive failure in an area with a gear that spins 2X the speed of the crank. That kind of rotational speed can make a big mess.

Regardless though once the chain snaps the balance shaft sprocket and the oil pump sprockets will stop spinning, since it is now seperated from the crankshaft, that shouldnt cause a bent/thrown rod immediately but in time is it was run with no oil pressure for long enough it could cause the engine to overheat and then blow, but the OP stated he got a low pressure warning/ misfires and immediately shut the car off.

You are right until pics are availible we are just making scenarios lol [up]

DRAKLORE
03-02-2012, 03:23 PM
I have to side with the idea, that the probability an oil pump failure immediately snapping a rod would be slim at best.
I know just a speculation but from a few of the motors I've seen that popped, it's usually a timing failure, or rod bearing failure. In many of the cases the one failure ie: a rod, causes a mass detonation as the pieces of metal get thrown and suck into every end of the block, and the motor quickly loses oil pressure. Once you lose timing the valves hit the pistons and either snap or destroy the head, sending the keepers and jamming up the cam.. Ect

My friend has his oil pump go on his 500whp b18 and if you pull over immediately as soon as you feel a change or see the low oil light than the most you might see is a spun rod bearing.

Every engine failure is different though...

glissoar
03-02-2012, 03:50 PM
I have no idea what to think ill try and get some pictures, Paul and his shop partner said in their 30 years in the business they have never seen an engine failure this bad, everything just like disenatgrate. I feel as if my first born child just died, I'm all tore up, I didn't know I was this attached to this car

viziers
03-02-2012, 04:03 PM
I have no idea what to think ill try and get some pictures, Paul and his shop partner said in their 30 years in the business they have never seen an engine failure this bad, everything just like disenatgrate. I feel as if my first born child just died, I'm all tore up, I didn't know I was this attached to this car

People who modify their cars are VERY attached to them because of all the hard work they put into it...

vizi

drumnjuny
03-02-2012, 04:26 PM
shit scary. sucks man, some cars are just unfortunately more prone to blowing as we have seen on these forums especially [:(] sorry! get a deal on a block... you can rebuild it... make it faster... stronger... better!

viziers
03-02-2012, 04:31 PM
shit scary. sucks man, some cars are just unfortunately more prone to blowing as we have seen on these forums especially [:(] sorry! get a deal on a block... you can rebuild it... make it faster... stronger... better!

Ok there kanye...Lol

vizi

glissoar
03-02-2012, 04:51 PM
Got into my company car and the radio was on blasting bob marley no woman no cry right at the part where it goes "every little thing is gonna be alright" Gotta stay positive something good is going to come out of this, paul said he is going to build the internals on the next engine so I may come out of pocket but everything is at cost so I'm going to come out with a brand new engine fully built for dirt cheap, then I can get the build done right who knows maybe it will make me hit my WHP goals!

SykoraA4
03-02-2012, 04:55 PM
there you go. is the turbo fucked? exhaust turbine is what you'd have to look at.

DRAKLORE
03-02-2012, 04:58 PM
That's a good attitude! [up]

glissoar
03-02-2012, 05:18 PM
there you go. is the turbo fucked? exhaust turbine is what you'd have to look at.
Turbo is good, I was was just cruising at about 4k rpm's when it blew, they pulled ecu data and it was reading a misfire at 45k rpm, I wasn't beating on the car so the turbo is fine

drumnjuny
03-02-2012, 05:18 PM
awesome!! nothing like some at cost work [up] silver lining!!

glissoar
03-02-2012, 05:21 PM
awesome!! nothing like some at cost work [up] silver lining!!
He said he's not charging labor either so that will help out alot

DRAKLORE
03-02-2012, 05:24 PM
45,000rpms, No wonder it blew! Jk Any ideas on how the head looks?

EDIT: was the timing belt intact

drumnjuny
03-02-2012, 05:25 PM
He said he's not charging labor either so that will help out alot

[drool]

time to get anything and everything you want done at parts cost!!

glissoar
03-02-2012, 05:29 PM
45,000rpms, No wonder it blew! Jk Any ideas on how the head looks?

EDIT: was the timing belt intact
He is tearing into the head tomorrow to see how it looks, I think timing belt was ok but I'm not positive

Sales@RAI
03-02-2012, 05:35 PM
Did the car ever feel like it was detonating? That would snap a rod in a hurry.

Anyways I'm gonna check with the guys and see if we can get you a block somewhere this is a huge bummer.

I've been here and it sucks, pouring everything you have into a car can be so frustrating because when it's driving well, nothing in the world can stop you, but when something like this happens it really kills your confidence (I had my B6 engine with $10k+ invested blow up in a split second). This is what I've learned though, take a deep breath and sit down. Look at this as a learning experience. Look through the block and what failed. Come up with some theories about the failure. Plan out the next stage of the car and address this issue. I think everyone that does a build is an engineer. You're essentially running an engineering experiment. This isn't failure it's simply going back to the drawing board. Build it better and build it faster! I know you will

glissoar
03-02-2012, 05:41 PM
Did the car ever feel like it was detonating? That would snap a rod in a hurry.

Anyways I'm gonna check with the guys and see if we can get you a block somewhere this is a huge bummer.

I've been here and it sucks, pouring everything you have into a car can be so frustrating because when it's driving well, nothing in the world can stop you, but when something like this happens it really kills your confidence (I had my B6 engine with $10k+ invested blow up in a split second). This is what I've learned though, take a deep breath and sit down. Look at this as a learning experience. Look through the block and what failed. Come up with some theories about the failure. Plan out the next stage of the car and address this issue. I think everyone that does a build is an engineer. You're essentially running an engineering experiment. This isn't failure it's simply going back to the drawing board. Build it better and build it faster! I know you will

Ya it felt like a pipe bomb went off under the hood when it happened, if you could help me find a block that would be awesome, I'm in desperate need and any and all help would be appreciated, I need a good deal to get me back on my feet, and thanks for the kind words man it really means alot!

viziers
03-02-2012, 05:42 PM
I'm sure if there was a pool that there would be a lot of participants who would contribute to help out on the burden a bit (every little bit helps)!!!!

vizi

glissoar
03-02-2012, 05:47 PM
I'm sure if there was a pool that there would be a lot of participants who would contribute to help out on the burden a bit (every little bit helps)!!!!

vizi

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I'm kinda in a tight financial position since I literally payed the bill on everything and it blew up in 24 hrs!

baldy
03-02-2012, 06:21 PM
Turbo is good, I was was just cruising at about 4k rpm's when it blew, they pulled ecu data and it was reading a misfire at 45k rpm, I wasn't beating on the car so the turbo is fine

Did your turbo look like this when you popped the hood after you were cruising?

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s125/squidrider/crossfire/IMG-20110406-00094.jpg

In all seriousness, I'm sorry to hear your engine blew up, especially because I'm running a K04...
If a rod did let go and caused all of this, I'm going to reconsider getting mine swapped...

BTW, do you have the dyno charts so we can see the torque curve? Maybe some logs as well?
Just curious as to at what point the rods snap (from a tuning standpoint).

glissoar
03-02-2012, 06:36 PM
Did your turbo look like this when you popped the hood after you were cruising?

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s125/squidrider/crossfire/IMG-20110406-00094.jpg

In all seriousness, I'm sorry to hear your engine blew up, especially because I'm running a K04...
If a rod did let go and caused all of this, I'm going to reconsider getting mine swapped...

BTW, do you have the dyno charts so we can see the torque curve? Maybe some logs as well?
Just curious as to at what point the rods snap (from a tuning standpoint).
The dyno sheets are in my car which is at the shop

ericpaulyoung
03-02-2012, 07:09 PM

Cruising when it blew, then it definitely can not be attributed to the "K04 quick torque curve theory of destruction". I would be careful with the next tune; maybe get an APR or GIAC tune, and just roll with that.
- Eric

okswerve16
03-02-2012, 08:11 PM
Wish my clutch would come in sooner so I could let go of my engine!!

seal66
03-02-2012, 08:26 PM
Sorry to hear man. So are you going to stick with the Ko4 and build the motor up now to see what the turbo can push or no?

Flexcj5
03-02-2012, 09:20 PM
Ill chip in to help with a new block. Im headed to the yards on sunday looking for a few things. Add 1 to my list.

baldy
03-03-2012, 12:49 AM
Cruising when it blew, then it definitely can not be attributed to the "K04 quick torque curve theory of destruction". I would be careful with the next tune; maybe get an APR or GIAC tune, and just roll with that.
- Eric

If it was just steady cruise, not under under boost, could have been a bent rod (or defective one) prior to that explosion... Or the detonation/missfire could be a trigger too.. I had a coilpack give up the ghost last week, under almost full throttle (and at least 18 psi) at 5500 rpm while trying to pass a sunday (20 km/h under the limit) driver while going uphill... BANG!, Plume of smoke out of exhaust, check engine light and major rough running... Put tranny in neutral and turned car off with a couple seconds.. Heart sank.. Popped hood, no hole in block, no hoses blown off, plugged in vagcom and had a missfire code for 1 cylinder, 2 times... started car for a second, and it ran rough... swapped the coil on said cylinder.. engine ran fine... But I wonder now if the rod might have been damaged.. hmmmm..

Long story short, it would be good to know if it was 1 rod, or something else that caused your issue.. Either way, if you have logs and dyno it would be interesting to compare with other tunes (APR, Uni, Giac, Revo, Maestro, etc.) the members have here..

I'd offer to help you source parts locally to me (have many shops I deal with through my company), but you guys in the US have better prices usually.. That being said, give us a list of what you need when you figure it out and I'll see what I can do...

swoardrider
03-03-2012, 12:52 AM
Cruising at 4k RPMs, misfires, pipe bomb sounds. All this evidence leads me to believe that cylinder was running lean and hot, causing misfires. Like Clint said, misfires will throw a rod quick. Same broken rod issue can happen if you seized the piston from the excessive heat caused by being lean. Piston head may tell the story better (if it's even legible). Seized piston and/or broken rod could cause the chain to break. I'd think a defective chain link would of showed up way prior to the K04. The odds of coincidence seem pretty tiny that the chain broke right after you got the car back, unless the chain was new and was defective right after its install. This is the original chain, correct?
I've seized a few small engines, jet ski engines, and motorcycle engines in my lifetime, and every time the carb tuning/jetting was off, causing the seizure. Just speculating on the tune and/or fueling, but I wouldn't be surprised if that was the root evil. Has the tuner ever written software for the 2.0T FSI?

glissoar
03-03-2012, 06:00 AM
Ill chip in to help with a new block. Im headed to the yards on sunday looking for a few things. Add 1 to my list.

Thanks man I really appreciate that, AZ has really been awesome through this, best support group Iv ever had!

If it was just steady cruise, not under under boost, could have been a bent rod (or defective one) prior to that explosion... Or the detonation/missfire could be a trigger too.. I had a coilpack give up the ghost last week, under almost full throttle (and at least 18 psi) at 5500 rpm while trying to pass a sunday (20 km/h under the limit) driver while going uphill... BANG!, Plume of smoke out of exhaust, check engine light and major rough running... Put tranny in neutral and turned car off with a couple seconds.. Heart sank.. Popped hood, no hole in block, no hoses blown off, plugged in vagcom and had a missfire code for 1 cylinder, 2 times... started car for a second, and it ran rough... swapped the coil on said cylinder.. engine ran fine... But I wonder now if the rod might have been damaged.. hmmmm..

Long story short, it would be good to know if it was 1 rod, or something else that caused your issue.. Either way, if you have logs and dyno it would be interesting to compare with other tunes (APR, Uni, Giac, Revo, Maestro, etc.) the members have here..

I'd offer to help you source parts locally to me (have many shops I deal with through my company), but you guys in the US have better prices usually.. That being said, give us a list of what you need when you figure it out and I'll see what I can do...

I know it does sound a little weird what he told me was the cause of everything and that it has nothing to do with his build quality, I guess once i get a second engine in there if that one pops right away we know it has to do with the build quality which im not paying anything if this happens again, But i will post a list of everything I need and thanks for all the support! Can't thank everyone enough for being so understanding

Sorry to hear man. So are you going to stick with the Ko4 and build the motor up now to see what the turbo can push or no?
I have to stick with the k04 at this point, unless a gt28 or something fell out out the sky lol im just kinda in a position where I financially can't afford this, so Paul is tryin to work with me as best he can but it may take a couple months or more to get her back on the road

Cruising at 4k RPMs, misfires, pipe bomb sounds. All this evidence leads me to believe that cylinder was running lean and hot, causing misfires. Like Clint said, misfires will throw a rod quick. Same broken rod issue can happen if you seized the piston from the excessive heat caused by being lean. Piston head may tell the story better (if it's even legible). Seized piston and/or broken rod could cause the chain to break. I'd think a defective chain link would of showed up way prior to the K04. The odds of coincidence seem pretty tiny that the chain broke right after you got the car back, unless the chain was new and was defective right after its install. This is the original chain, correct?
I've seized a few small engines, jet ski engines, and motorcycle engines in my lifetime, and every time the carb tuning/jetting was off, causing the seizure. Just speculating on the tune and/or fueling, but I wouldn't be surprised if that was the root evil. Has the tuner ever written software for the 2.0T FSI?

As Far as I know this is not the first FSI tune he has done but it is the first 2.0t b7 k04 tune he has ever done

okswerve16
03-03-2012, 08:20 AM
Yikes, were you running meth in your tune?

glissoar
03-03-2012, 08:31 AM
Yikes, were you running meth in your tune?
No water meth set up on it, not sure if it would have made a difference

ericpaulyoung
03-03-2012, 09:03 AM
Ya, I am thinking if you were the first b7 he has ever tuned, it is likely a "learning experience". People sometimes don't understand how important the ECU actually is, and either give credit or blame outright a single piece of hardware that is in the system. These cars are truly systems, with many working components and sub-systems that have to work in unison. I don't think there is anything to gain by going to Paul and saying that it was likely a bad tune that burned up your baby; there is just no way to prove this at this point without spending the time to have a pro check out the engine and do some CSI Miami shit on it. What I would strongly recommend is that given that he is working so hard with you to get it back together, that you find a nice way to tell him that you want to start with a proven tune (one that thousands of cars are running safely) and have a known good K04 file installed. Hit up APR, UNI, or since you are going to be able handle as much as you like because you are building that beast from the ground up you can also go MAESTRO or Malone tuning.

Personally, stability is a big thing for me, and piece of mind is worth more than squeezing the last 20 ponies out of my engine, so I would just install the APR S3 file and enjoy a reliable and fast daily with a piece of mind.

- Eric

glissoar
03-03-2012, 09:17 AM
Ya, I am thinking if you were the first b7 he has ever tuned, it is likely a "learning experience". People sometimes don't understand how important the ECU actually is, and either give credit or blame outright a single piece of hardware that is in the system. These cars are truly systems, with many working components and sub-systems that have to work in unison. I don't think there is anything to gain by going to Paul and saying that it was likely a bad tune that burned up your baby; there is just no way to prove this at this point without spending the time to have a pro check out the engine and do some CSI Miami shit on it. What I would strongly recommend is that given that he is working so hard with you to get it back together, that you find a nice way to tell him that you want to start with a proven tune (one that thousands of cars are running safely) and have a known good K04 file installed. Hit up APR, UNI, or since you are going to be able handle as much as you like because you are building that beast from the ground up you can also go MAESTRO or Malone tuning.

Personally, stability is a big thing for me, and piece of mind is worth more than squeezing the last 20 ponies out of my engine, so I would just install the APR S3 file and enjoy a reliable and fast daily with a piece of mind.

- Eric

I agree with you on reliability being the most important, I do have a company car which makes things a little easier, at this point though with everything going on I can't afford to tack on an extra grand for tuning, when I just paid a grand for the united tune, I'm kinda in a hard spot since I dumped everything I had saved into this build

ericpaulyoung
03-03-2012, 09:49 AM
Maybe you can have someone from the zine take a look at the maps at least. Be nice about it, but ask Paul if he wouldn't mind having someone help with the tune, given this is his first b7 and maybe there are some specifics about the model that may help. Or contact the vendors and see if you can get a discount on the software switch. I know a lot of people are having good results with the APR tune, maybe you can explain your situation and get a little discount on the tune.
- Eric

Sales@RAI
03-03-2012, 11:36 AM
We work with Jeff@United quite a bit, I really doubt that this was his tune. I do think meth would have helped quite a bit. Meth is about the best safety blanket you can have on a turbocharged street car

ericpaulyoung
03-03-2012, 12:08 PM
We work with Jeff@United quite a bit, I really doubt that this was his tune. I do think meth would have helped quite a bit. Meth is about the best safety blanket you can have on a turbocharged street car

Clint - I missed what you mean. Did you mean that you doubt that glissnoar was using Jeff's tune, or that you doubt that it was the tune that caused damage? My understanding was that the tuner was working on glissnoars car as his first ever b7 without oversight from one of you experienced guys. If I got this wrong, please correct me.
- Eric

DRAKLORE
03-03-2012, 01:05 PM
Eric- you got to be careful when it comes to "sharing" a tune with other members or tuners... It's prob best for him to continue working with Jeff and let him work out the bugs. I'm sure he could provide some
Input?
I know a tuning company that had their software shared, stolen and then exposed and reproduced.
Despite how much he may doubt his tuning, it would be disrespectful among other things for him to do that to Jeff.

jimrobbington
03-03-2012, 01:07 PM
Uh oh............

JR

ericpaulyoung
03-03-2012, 01:18 PM
Eric- you got to be careful when it comes to "sharing" a tune with other members or tuners... It's prob best for him to continue working with Jeff and let him work out the bugs. I'm sure he could provide some
Input?
I know a tuning company that had their software shared, stolen and then exposed and reproduced.
Despite how much he may doubt his tuning, it would be disrespectful among other things for him to do that to Jeff.

Ya, you got a good point there. In this case, I would just switch over to a tune that is proven and not worry about it.
- Eric

viziers
03-03-2012, 01:36 PM
[rolleyes] But its ok for said company to continue to destroy that persons motor and hard earned money! Sounds good to me.......

vizi

drumnjuny
03-03-2012, 01:51 PM
ruh roh... again??

i don't think posting logs is the same as sharing a tune... i could be mistaken but no need to bring this up!!!

IMO ask nicely for his permission to share certain information. if he is sure of his tune, then that shouldn't be a problem, and he will get to censor what information is and isn't posted! maybe he won't mind you sharing with a tuner that he works closely with on other projects... i.e. RAI? you can share in confidence

DRAKLORE
03-03-2012, 02:01 PM
Rev-Tech racing wasn't destroying anyones engine. In fact they won a settlement out of court. The guy who owned the car went to Atlanta for a "second opinion" and that company stOle a large portion of the tune, and told the guy what he wanted to hear to get his buisness. At that point the customer didn't even know but still got slapped with a fine for providing the tune in the first place. (which was against Rev-Techs contract)
This was in the local news last year, and I happen to be good friends with the owner. He told me that once his tune got out he coupdnt stop it from spreading across forums and maestro like software tuners. And that the settlement wasn't enough to cover his loses.

I hope you weren't suggesting I was talking about you?

Either way I'm sure Jeff@united is more than capable of sorting this out...

drumnjuny
03-03-2012, 02:05 PM
well i guess that's what happens when i assume... ass made of myself [up] my bad haha

glissoar
03-03-2012, 02:42 PM
I don't think it was build quality issue, just an oem part gave out that was already weak, which was just sped up by the build

glissoar
03-04-2012, 09:23 AM
Need your Input AZ, I have found a few motors, but do you think its smarter to buy a rebuilt motor that comes with a warranty, and then just drop in pistons and rods or buy a block and build it up myself from the ground up?

viziers
03-04-2012, 09:49 AM
Buy a block and build it because if you buy one with a warranty as soon as you crack it open you void that warranty you paid for...

vizi

glissoar
03-04-2012, 09:51 AM
Buy a block and build it because if you buy one with a warranty as soon as you crack it open you void that warranty you paid for...

vizi

good point!

CorneliusRox
03-05-2012, 07:21 AM
How much are these running you? I can look around here and see if they are any cheaper

glissoar
03-06-2012, 08:16 PM
How much are these running you? I can look around here and see if they are any cheaper
I'm buying one for $1700 complete block an head, the guy selling his in the classifieds, cheapest I have found is 2700 otherwise

SykoraA4
03-06-2012, 08:20 PM
what kind of shape is your old head in?

glissoar
03-06-2012, 08:42 PM
what kind of shape is your old head in?
Old head isn't bad I could prob reuse it but I'm not, just going to rebuild this one from the ground up

SykoraA4
03-06-2012, 08:54 PM
you probably could sell it then and recoup some money. especially if you were to take the time and scrub out all the carbon.

bitskyline
03-06-2012, 11:36 PM
holy shit that was a read... kinda on the fence about putting mine in now...

glissoar
03-12-2012, 01:14 PM
holy shit that was a read... kinda on the fence about putting mine in now...
New engine is on the way should be here Wednesday or thursday, big shot out to okswerve16 for hoocking me up with the engine and helpin me out in a bind! Paul is picking up integrated engineering pistons and rods and arp head bolts so I will update when the engine arrives!

ericpaulyoung
03-12-2012, 01:46 PM
New engine is on the way should be here Wednesday or thursday, big shot out to okswerve16 for hoocking me up with the engine and helpin me out in a bind! Paul is picking up integrated engineering pistons and rods and arp head bolts so I will update when the engine arrives!

This thing is going to ROCK! Can't wait to see Rev.2 ;)
- Eric

drumnjuny
03-12-2012, 01:49 PM
blessing in disguise! can't believe you're already ready to build again... that's awesome!

glissoar
03-12-2012, 01:50 PM
This thing is going to ROCK! Can't wait to see Rev.2 ;)
- Eric

Not taking any chances with this one! Building the motor to hold 500hp! So if I blow this one them I'm just a downright shaaatyy driver!

glissoar
03-12-2012, 01:52 PM
blessing in disguise! can't believe you're already ready to build again... that's awesome!

That's the great thing about investing your money early, had to dip into my house fund for this but it's going to be worth it, I told my self I would never touch this money until I bought a house but desperate times cause for desperate measures!!

drumnjuny
03-12-2012, 02:14 PM
That's the great thing about investing your money early, had to dip into my house fund for this but it's going to be worth it, I told my self I would never touch this money until I bought a house but desperate times cause for desperate measures!!

agreed. plus the cost of this is probably pretty minimal compared to the cost of a house... i'm sure it won't set you back too far! [up]

glissoar
03-12-2012, 02:20 PM
agreed. plus the cost of this is probably pretty minimal compared to the cost of a house... i'm sure it won't set you back too far! [up]
Ya it sucks pulling money from there but it will

glissoar
03-13-2012, 12:55 PM
Just talked to Paul at Hb and he is placing the order for pistons and rods today and they should be here next week so of all goes well I should be back up and running in 2-3 weeks, we also talked about switching to a gt28 set up so who knows I could have a ko4 up for sale soon lol!

ericpaulyoung
03-13-2012, 01:01 PM
Ya it sucks pulling money from there but it will

Naaah, let's see your house go 150 mph!! Cars are way better.
- eric

SykoraA4
03-13-2012, 01:35 PM
USDA rural development program. 3.75 locked 0% down. spend rest of money on FAST CAR

glissoar
03-13-2012, 01:44 PM
Naaah, let's see your house go 150 mph!! Cars are way better.

- eric

Lol I hate to say it but car is just a depreciating asset, love my car to death but it hurt to have to pull money from there to build the engine, but its going to be worth it in the long run!

ericpaulyoung
03-13-2012, 02:44 PM
USDA rural development program. 3.75 locked 0% down. spend rest of money on FAST CAR

3.125% on my Oregon house signed in December 2011 for wife's personal business
6.125% on my Virginia house signed in December 2007 for rental

Crazy difference in just 4 years, and they are about the same price.

- Eric

drumnjuny
03-22-2012, 07:47 AM
rebuild has started, just waiting on the pistons and rods and head bolts to come in!

are you replacing rod bearings as well?

glissoar
03-22-2012, 12:27 PM
are you replacing rod bearings as well?
Probably not replacing the bearings, I'm considering it but we will see

okswerve16
03-22-2012, 01:09 PM
Probably not replacing the bearings, I'm considering it but we will see

You will have to, IE rods use a tanged bearing and the OEM bearings for the fsi motor do not have them. So they wont fit

glissoar
03-22-2012, 02:18 PM
You will have to, IE rods use a tanged bearing and the OEM bearings for the fsi motor do not have them. So they wont fit
Guess I'm replacing them then lol!

drumnjuny
03-22-2012, 04:27 PM
they come with the IE rods kit (just found out)

glissoar
03-23-2012, 05:39 AM
they come with the IE rods kit (just found out)

lol Thanks man, guess i would have found that out when my kit came in!

drumnjuny
03-23-2012, 07:22 AM
yup! i'm assuming you got the gasket piston rings head studs etc also in the kit

glissoar
03-23-2012, 08:46 PM
yup! i'm assuming you got the gasket piston rings head studs etc also in the kit

Your probably right, I'll take pictures when they come in

okswerve16
03-27-2012, 09:54 AM
hows the rebuild coming along

rarak69
03-30-2012, 07:47 PM
Damn sorry for your luck man. Thats a damn shame. Watching this, are you doing the 1.8t oil pump this time around?

glissoar
03-31-2012, 01:09 PM
Damn sorry for your luck man. Thats a damn shame. Watching this, are you doing the 1.8t oil pump this time around?
Pistons and rods came in yesterday, ended up going with cp pistons and brute rods, rods are rifle drilled and they are supposed to be stronger than ie rods, rebuild starts Monday and I should be up and running by the end of the week if everything goes smooth, will post pictures later today

glissoar
04-10-2012, 05:44 PM
New Updates on Status of Build

Pistons and Rods went in today!
http://i1119.photobucket.com/albums/k633/glissoar/IMG_0386.jpg?t=1334101176
http://i1119.photobucket.com/albums/k633/glissoar/IMG_0389.jpg?t=1334101176
http://i1119.photobucket.com/albums/k633/glissoar/IMG_0390.jpg?t=1334101179
Should be pulling the old motor out of my car tomorrow and transferring any needed parts from that motor to the new one!

okswerve16
04-10-2012, 05:55 PM
nice lookin motor [:D]

glissoar
04-10-2012, 06:01 PM
nice lookin motor [:D]

Ya some jerk sold it to me! [;)]

drumnjuny
04-10-2012, 06:03 PM
awesome!!! congrats! can't wait to see how this turns out. GL getting her on the road by friday... from my experience, having dates in mind usually leads to disappointment haha.

glissoar
04-10-2012, 06:09 PM
awesome!!! congrats! can't wait to see how this turns out. GL getting her on the road by friday... from my experience, having dates in mind usually leads to disappointment haha.

LOL ya I gave up on setting dates for getting things done, Im now shooting for sometime next week to have it back to being drivable, but I still have to drive it easy for ab out 1000 miles to let the pistons properly seat on the rings so i don't mess anything up with this new motor, so it really wont be till sometime next month that I can start to really have fun with the car. Im going to So Wo in Georgia next month so I should have it up and running and the motor properly broken in by the time I drive it to SO WO! Well I have to have it done because Im driving and Paul is the co-pilot on the ride and he is putting my motor back together so he has to get it done so he can go to the show too!

drumnjuny
04-10-2012, 06:14 PM
LOL ya I gave up on setting dates for getting things done, Im now shooting for sometime next week to have it back to being drivable, but I still have to drive it easy for ab out 1000 miles to let the pistons properly seat on the rings so i don't mess anything up with this new motor, so it really wont be till sometime next month that I can start to really have fun with the car. Im going to So Wo in Georgia next month so I should have it up and running and the motor properly broken in by the time I drive it to SO WO! Well I have to have it done because Im driving and Paul is the co-pilot on the ride and he is putting my motor back together so he has to get it done so he can go to the show too!

next month!? i say hit the highway, you'll knock it out in like 6-7 hours?

btw i heard they raised the speed limit on I95 in southern va to 70, is that true? fairfax county has a county limit of 55 lmao

glissoar
04-10-2012, 06:22 PM
next month!? i say hit the highway, you'll knock it out in like 6-7 hours?

btw i heard they raised the speed limit on I95 in southern va to 70, is that true? fairfax county has a county limit of 55 lmao

you are correct my friend 70MPH!!! its baller now I can drive 80 and not get pulled over! and Once I get the car back, im leaving my company car at work and daily driving the audi until i put 1000 on the clock so i can knock out the break in quick!

drumnjuny
04-10-2012, 06:28 PM
you are correct my friend 70MPH!!! its baller now I can drive 80 and not get pulled over! and Once I get the car back, im leaving my company car at work and daily driving the audi until i put 1000 on the clock so i can knock out the break in quick!

nice, holy crap that's unbelievable haha, a safe 80mph in va... the statute for reckless in VA says anything 81 and over is reckless lmao! and 90 over is reckless with intent to kill (ask me how i know lol, got a reckless for 82 right at va beach in 2008 where the speed limit drops to 55)... i wonder how that plays out with people going 11 or 12mph over?

and word that should go quickly. i feel like i am just going to have to go on a 1200 mile road trip... drive 600 out and 400 back chilling... last 200 miles? [evilsmile]

drumnjuny
04-10-2012, 06:32 PM
one thing i am curious about though: with BT builds and engine break in... how does one tune the car without "beating" on it? is it just b/c you can control the rolling resistance on a dyno or something?

glissoar
04-10-2012, 06:47 PM
one thing i am curious about though: with BT builds and engine break in... how does one tune the car without "beating" on it? is it just b/c you can control the rolling resistance on a dyno or something?

You Break the motor in before final tuning! What Im doing with mine is detuning it to 7lbs of boost till i get the motor broken in then Im turning it back up to 21lbs once the pistons seat properly

drumnjuny
04-10-2012, 07:00 PM
You Break the motor in before final tuning! What Im doing with mine is detuning it to 7lbs of boost till i get the motor broken in then Im turning it back up to 21lbs once the pistons seat properly

balls. i kind of was afraid of that hahahaha.

SykoraA4
04-11-2012, 09:25 AM
I must have missed in in the reread. what turbo are you going with? Still the k04?

glissoar
04-11-2012, 04:13 PM
I must have missed in in the reread. what turbo are you going with? Still the k04?
Same set up as before just just doing cp pistons and brute rifle drilled rods and arp head bolts

glissoar
04-16-2012, 01:07 PM
Motor is finally out of the car and new one is going in in the morning! Should be up and running by the end of the week! Will post pictures tonight!

glissoar
04-17-2012, 05:33 AM
Sorry for the terrible iphone pictures

Here is the bottom end of my old motor with oil pan removed
http://i1119.photobucket.com/albums/k633/glissoar/IMG_0403.jpg?t=1334662203

Paul wrenching away doing what he does best!
http://i1119.photobucket.com/albums/k633/glissoar/IMG_0400.jpg?t=1334662199

And just for fun!
http://i1119.photobucket.com/albums/k633/glissoar/IMG_0401.jpg?t=1334662203

drumnjuny
04-17-2012, 11:47 AM
[up] coming together pretty nicely!

glissoar
04-17-2012, 05:57 PM
More Updates!
Motor is completely out and new one went in today
http://i1119.photobucket.com/albums/k633/glissoar/IMG_0409.jpg?t=1334706404

Here is a picture of the old motor and yo can see the hole in the block
http://i1119.photobucket.com/albums/k633/glissoar/IMG_0408.jpg?t=1334706404

ericpaulyoung
04-17-2012, 06:26 PM
JB Weld that shit back together and put on Ebay!!
- Eric

glissoar
04-17-2012, 06:32 PM
JB Weld that shit back together and put on Ebay!!
- Eric
LoL good idea! Im probably going to sell it for scrap metal

glissoar
04-18-2012, 04:56 PM
SHE IS ALIVE!!!!!!!!![evilsmile]

http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k633/glissoar/?action=view&current=IMG_0416.mp4

seal66
04-18-2012, 05:05 PM
Damn so many cranks to get it going... bye bye starter.

glissoar
04-18-2012, 05:08 PM
Damn so many cranks to get it going... bye bye starter.
That was the first time firing it up ever! takes a few cranks and some pedal pumping to get all the juices flowing to start up for the first time with the new motor, turns over every time just fine now

seal66
04-18-2012, 05:13 PM
aww, ya forgot you had to get a new block lol... good to know it runs great now

ericpaulyoung
04-18-2012, 07:08 PM
Rock on! Yup, first time firing back up always goes this way. You gotta understand that NOTHING is primed and you have to get the ol' juices flowing. Congrats.
- Eric

bitskyline
04-18-2012, 10:46 PM
some good news nice. going to be blast to drive it again.

drumnjuny
04-19-2012, 09:53 AM
time for some videos?

Lazze
04-19-2012, 11:05 AM
Nice [up][up][up]

glissoar
04-19-2012, 01:01 PM
time for some videos?
Check a few posts back I posted a link to the video of the first time it was fired up!

glissoar
04-19-2012, 01:04 PM
some good news nice. going to be blast to drive it again.
Ya I'm pumped it is going to be the first time I have driven it in about 4 months, got to put about 1000 miles on it before I can turn the tune back up and really have fun with it!

ericpaulyoung
04-19-2012, 01:31 PM
I have seen some really wrong stuff on the forums about break in, so do some research into the break in period; it is not "drive it like a grandma" and you will be fine like I have seen recommended a few times. Proper break in actually requires being hard on it in measured amounts to "seat" the rings. You should be doing a few hard pulls up to mid range (NOT REDLINE) and coming back down. Fluctuate the rpms and never hold high rpms (actually stay under xxxx for the first 1000 miles, have RAI or some shop fill you in on what xxx should be).
- Eric

here is a lambo being broken in.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pv86xjWPF5Y

A good example of a short expaination:
"The first order of business was to get the new engine up and running and subjected to its break-in procedure. Our computerized break-in procedure varies applied loads and engine speeds for 30-minute sessions."

http://www.turbomagazine.com/tech/0803_turp_lucas_synthetic_oil_test/viewall.html#ixzz1sWQa7K4B

More kinda interesting stuff.
http://mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Of course make sure to have the turbo turned down so that you are not running boost for the first break in session!

drumnjuny
04-19-2012, 02:45 PM
haha i meant videos of you driving!! [>_<]

glissoar
04-19-2012, 03:43 PM
I have seen some really wrong stuff on the forums about break in, so do some research into the break in period; it is not "drive it like a grandma" and you will be fine like I have seen recommended a few times. Proper break in actually requires being hard on it in measured amounts to "seat" the rings. You should be doing a few hard pulls up to mid range (NOT REDLINE) and coming back down. Fluctuate the rpms and never hold high rpms (actually stay under xxxx for the first 1000 miles, have RAI or some shop fill you in on what xxx should be).
- Eric

here is a lambo being broken in.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pv86xjWPF5Y

A good example of a short expaination:
"The first order of business was to get the new engine up and running and subjected to its break-in procedure. Our computerized break-in procedure varies applied loads and engine speeds for 30-minute sessions."

http://www.turbomagazine.com/tech/0803_turp_lucas_synthetic_oil_test/viewall.html#ixzz1sWQa7K4B

More kinda interesting stuff.
http://mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Of course make sure to have the turbo turned down so that you are not running boost for the first break in session!

Oh don't worry iv done plenty of research, for the fsi engine you need to put 1000 miles on it and not exceed 4000 rpm's, and when your not driving the car don't let it sit and idle just cut it off! I can't afford to screw this up so im taking every precaution necessary!

glissoar
04-19-2012, 03:44 PM
haha i meant videos of you driving!! [>_<]
Lol oh don't you worry! Once I get it broken in properly I'm posting all kinds of videos!

seal66
04-19-2012, 03:47 PM
When you driving it out to colorado for some altitude testing lol

ericpaulyoung
04-19-2012, 04:41 PM
Lol oh don't you worry! Once I get it broken in properly I'm posting all kinds of videos!

get a girl in a binkini to ride shotgun during ALL videos, or you are not a true friend!
- Eric

glissoar
04-19-2012, 09:24 PM
get a girl in a binkini to ride shotgun during ALL videos, or you are not a true friend!
- Eric
Well my girlfriend is blonde with huge fake boobs.... Will that work?

ericpaulyoung
04-19-2012, 10:54 PM
Well my girlfriend is blonde with huge fake boobs.... Will that work?

Just this once, we will allow it.
- Eric

glissoar
04-20-2012, 05:12 AM
Just this once, we will allow it.
- Eric

ahhh your too kind! a gentleman and a scholar!

DavidAAG
04-20-2012, 08:08 AM
Haha nice on the girlfriend part. But amazing that u have your car up and running. I can't believe even after what happened to u u still have your car running before me [down] but can't wait to see how everything goes after your car is broken in!

glissoar
04-20-2012, 10:07 AM
Haha nice on the girlfriend part. But amazing that u have your car up and running. I can't believe even after what happened to u u still have your car running before me [down] but can't wait to see how everything goes after your car is broken in!
Lol ya it was a fairly quick process thanks the okswerve16 hooking me up with the engine so fast! On my way to pick it up now!

glissoar
04-20-2012, 11:22 AM
Ahhh just drove it for the first Time, feels so good to be back in my baby! Almost as good as the day I bought her! Undescibably good feeling to have her back!

ericpaulyoung
04-20-2012, 11:31 AM
Should we start a pool on how long your will hold out before turning the boost up and start railing on it like a Vegas stripper?

a. 300 miles (ah too soon, but I just need the thrill)
b. 450 miles (it's about half right?)
c. 750 miles (a few hundred more really won't make a difference at this point right?)
d. 1000 miles (dedicated Tibetan monk, my car shall live forever).

audi8844
04-20-2012, 11:39 AM
d! Only because he won't want another catastrophic failure. Otherwise, I would say a

glissoar
04-20-2012, 12:32 PM
d! Only because he won't want another catastrophic failure. Otherwise, I would say a
Definitely D! I can't afford it nor do I ever want to deal with a blown engine again!!! Lol!

glissoar
04-20-2012, 12:34 PM
Plus paul would never turn the boost back up till I hit 1000 miles minimum! He set it back to 10lbs of boost and I don't have a manual boost controller so I couldn't change it if I wanted to lol!

audi8844
04-20-2012, 01:00 PM
It's gotta be difficult cruising for those 1000 miles, knowing what you have ready to let loose

ericpaulyoung
04-20-2012, 02:16 PM
Ya, it is like going on a date where you just know you are getting a piece later, but you have to be good through the rest of the date to make sure you don't screw it up before you get past the finish line. There are two ways to getting this done
1. Be good all night and collect the bonus at the end of the night
2. Cheat the system and order doubles for her each time

What'll it be glissoar? Choose #2 and take 2 days off and drive to Santa Cruz. Now damn it, Now! ;-)
- Eric

glissoar
04-20-2012, 05:29 PM
It's gotta be difficult cruising for those 1000 miles, knowing what you have ready to let loose

Its going to be hard but I gotta do it!

Ya, it is like going on a date where you just know you are getting a piece later, but you have to be good through the rest of the date to make sure you don't screw it up before you get past the finish line. There are two ways to getting this done
1. Be good all night and collect the bonus at the end of the night
2. Cheat the system and order doubles for her each time

What'll it be glissoar? Choose #2 and take 2 days off and drive to Santa Cruz. Now damn it, Now! ;-)
- Eric

Im going to cheat the system as much as possible, company car is staying parked in the drive way and im dailying the audi, plus i have alot of after work cruises lined up to knock out the miles quick!

glissoar
04-23-2012, 08:59 PM
Just got back from a 2.5hr cruise put about 100 miles on it tonight all back road driving, man I can't wait to unleash this thing! I have put about 300 miles on it since I got it back on friday and I just can't get to 1000 miles fast enough LOL! 700 more to go!

ericpaulyoung
04-23-2012, 09:37 PM
Keep it up! 30% done already!!!
- Eric

CorneliusRox
04-29-2012, 01:08 PM
I want to see some dyno info when you're all done with this And I dont want to see oil all over and a destroyed block. ;-)

glissoar
04-30-2012, 05:33 AM
I want to see some dyno info when you're all done with this And I dont want to see oil all over and a destroyed block. ;-)

LoL I want to see the same! Im at 600 miles, 400 more to go, once the engine is broken in turning the tune up from 21lbs to 24lbs of boost, since im running a lower compression now, should be able to get about 15-20 more WHP out of it hopefully, so I should be hitting the 280is mark........ I hope!

drumnjuny
04-30-2012, 07:52 AM
i thought u were stuck at 10psi till 1000 mi were up haha [:p]

glissoar
04-30-2012, 09:53 AM
i thought u were stuck at 10psi till 1000 mi were up haha [:p]

Lol I am I was just talking about the boost on the last tune, that was 21lbs, once I reflash at 1000 miles we are doing 24lbs since I did internals!

drumnjuny
04-30-2012, 10:31 AM
Lol I am I was just talking about the boost on the last tune, that was 21lbs, once I reflash at 1000 miles we are doing 24lbs since I did internals!

ah, gotcha! my mistake haha. and that's awesome! i bet you're able to push out some excellent numbers for the k04

glissoar
04-30-2012, 11:46 AM
ah, gotcha! my mistake haha. and that's awesome! i bet you're able to push out some excellent numbers for the k04

I hope so man I'll be pissed if I don't put out some good numbers

AudiA4_20T
04-30-2012, 11:53 AM
no turning back now! I thought you didn't have money for a new motor? So much for that lol

ericpaulyoung
04-30-2012, 11:57 AM
I hope so man I'll be pissed if I don't put out some good numbers

Don't get caught up on the dyno queen peek number bullshit, it is all in how the car performs. There is a post floating around where people are talking about the benefits of methanol injection, and I think Shane was talking about how for his car he only gets into boost about 2% of the time, but he has a 30 series GT turbo, so his peak numbers would be super nice. With your K04 setup you will be in boost 90% of the time and you will be enjoying it, but your peak numbers won't be nearly as high. Being in boost is what it is all about when you have a turbo car, so get to love the lower peak hp number trade off for a non-stop boost ride! Not knocking the GT30, just a different approach to what people like, and you choosing the enlightened road of a K04 sized turbo means you are looking for daily usable power, which you will have all day long with the k04. The only other option I would consider is a 28 series GT like the GT28RS, that comes on about the same as a K04 (just a little tiny bit behind it) but holds up on the top end more. However, given that my ride never sees above 6000 rpms, this doesn't matter for me.

My bet is that you will see 270 whp at 5500 rpms, but if you look at the torque curve you should be above 280 ft-lbs of torque all the way from 3000 rpms up to 5000 rpms!! Now that is good shit, and super fun to drive.

-Eric

drumnjuny
04-30-2012, 12:51 PM
Don't get caught up on the dyno queen peek number bullshit, it is all in how the car performs. There is a post floating around where people are talking about the benefits of methanol injection, and I think Shane was talking about how for his car he only gets into boost about 2% of the time, but he has a 30 series GT turbo, so his peak numbers would be super nice. With your K04 setup you will be in boost 90% of the time and you will be enjoying it, but your peak numbers won't be nearly as high. Being in boost is what it is all about when you have a turbo car, so get to love the lower peak hp number trade off for a non-stop boost ride! Not knocking the GT30, just a different approach to what people like, and you choosing the enlightened road of a K04 sized turbo means you are looking for daily usable power, which you will have all day long with the k04. The only other option I would consider is a 28 series GT like the GT28RS, that comes on about the same as a K04 (just a little tiny bit behind it) but holds up on the top end more. However, given that my ride never sees above 6000 rpms, this doesn't matter for me.

My bet is that you will see 270 whp at 5500 rpms, but if you look at the torque curve you should be above 280 ft-lbs of torque all the way from 3000 rpms up to 5000 rpms!! Now that is good shit, and super fun to drive.

-Eric

for the 10000000th time...... dude, really, again? you are knocking BAT builds, and it is annoying as all hell... i wonder if i'm ever going to get used to reading about how much you think the k04 has a better powerband than BAT applications.

my suggestion: why don't we actually take the physical area under each curve and calculate that, settle this once and for all and then we don't need to discuss it further? you can either be right or wrong, and i will move on with my life and not have to read once a week about how much you find the K04 is better suited for your purpose and drivability/fun. bottom line is you've made the exact same statement in every single thread in AZ pertaining to a turbo upgrade. its annoying to have u point out someone else's comments such as "drak said he's only in boost 2% of the time" which is an obviously tailored statement. if he is gunning it through his RPM range he will be in boost the majority of the time. which i think is obvious but for some reason needs to be stated? i can't speak for anyone else but myself, but i get the point. i understand how u feel about it. and i'd appreciate you not calling people out like that, i don't care at all unless its a complete manipulation and misrepresentation of the facts... and that's without EVER pointing out simple facts about BAT applications. Here's one: if you're constantly in boost you are using a shit ton of gas while even cruising around a city, as opposed to only being in boost when you're trying to go fast.

so that is frustrating to me, although you can obviously act as you choose being an adult and this being a public forum. that being said i do agree with your point that if you're not going BAT you should ignore the dyno and peak numbers in general, bc the car is going to be fun to drive even if it doesn't feel and perform like a monster. your execution made me want to scream bloody murder

edit: okay feeling less intense about the rant, but i'll leave it up there. i think we all know u go BAT for performance in higher RPMs and BT for daily full rpm power. just getting tired of hearing it the way you are saying it.

glissoar
04-30-2012, 12:52 PM
no turning back now! I thought you didn't have money for a new motor? So much for that lol
Lol ya I didn't, I had to cash In some stocks to pay for it! That was my savings for a house down payment so it set me back about 5g's on my house down payment

glissoar
04-30-2012, 12:56 PM
Ahhhhh yaasaa ko4 vs. BAT battle royal!!!! Lol

drumnjuny
04-30-2012, 12:58 PM
Ahhhhh yaasaa ko4 vs. BAT battle royal!!!! Lol

haha nooooooooo no more battle royal can't we just agree that they are different and not rehash the advantages to each every single thread........ [=(]

can't we just appreciate them for what they are lol

glissoar
04-30-2012, 01:08 PM
haha nooooooooo no more battle royal can't we just agree that they are different and not rehash the advantages to each every single thread........ [=(]

can't we just appreciate them for what they are lol
I can't appreciate this ko4 LOL it blew my shit up! It's all good though lol the first like 100 posts on my thread are an all out battle between ko4 and bat guys! I would probably only have like 20 posts in this thread if it wasn't for the battle lol!

ericpaulyoung
04-30-2012, 01:45 PM
I was keeping glissoar focused and enjoying his new build, but you are right, that shit is the same thing I have spouted a hundred times.

- Eric

drumnjuny
04-30-2012, 02:03 PM
I can't appreciate this ko4 LOL it blew my shit up! It's all good though lol the first like 100 posts on my thread are an all out battle between ko4 and bat guys! I would probably only have like 20 posts in this thread if it wasn't for the battle lol!

haha which is my main gripe with rehashing it

I was keeping glissoar focused and enjoying his new build, but you are right, that shit is the same thing I have spouted a hundred times.

- Eric

thanks for not responding as immaturely as i did, and i do agree with your end goal of keeping OP happy & focused. and i definitely agree that dyno's are useless, haha. i can't imagine there are many people who are thrilled after a dyno hehe.

i just don't agree that BAT will be in boost 2% of the time say during track use or even heavy street driving, ya know what i mean. Its all about how you drive in the end, we can all agree upon that [up]

carry on

ericpaulyoung
04-30-2012, 02:13 PM
No problems, we all have our soap box, for some gay reason mine became trying to bring the K04 to the masses. Don't ask me why, I don't know.

Here is my quick area under the curve, using Viz's 3076 and Inferno's K04. I know, different dynos and all that. Just looking here.

http://i1073.photobucket.com/albums/w381/ericpaulyoung/k04vs3076.png

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/314616-(viziers-s)-Garrett-GT3076R-Big-Turbo-Build
http://i1073.photobucket.com/albums/w381/ericpaulyoung/viz3076.jpg

K04
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/165619-Dyno-Good-news-and-bad-news
http://i1073.photobucket.com/albums/w381/ericpaulyoung/k04.jpg

and the program to digitize if you want it.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/plotdigitizer/files/plotdigitizer/2.5.0/

drumnjuny
04-30-2012, 02:35 PM
k04 definitely wins that one, if we're talking area it has at least 30-40% more. i'm curious as to a smaller BAT, one i personally feel is more suited for our tiny 2L of displacement

maybe a 3071r would be more competitive? the spool on that 3076 has to be about as bad as it gets except for some people throwing 35's on there, haha

Operator
04-30-2012, 02:35 PM
You probably won't like what most of the posters here are saying about the K04: http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/482679-Disappointing-dyno-run-with-new-k04

ericpaulyoung
04-30-2012, 02:52 PM
You probably won't like what most of the posters here are saying about the K04: http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/482679-Disappointing-dyno-run-with-new-k04

How is that, from a quick scan the guy used the wrong software and had some other issues. And this is for a b6 too. Actually the posts from people that have K04's are positive.

But the above is about taking the "guesses" and "opinions" out of it and simply looking at measured power production. I have heard people say "power under the curve is better for the K04", hell I have said it myself, but never actually tried to verify the statement. So this is just the first steps in that direction.

Added a KOR dyno. Slap some error bands on the K04 and KOR and they are pretty equal, and even with error bars, neither can keep up with Viz's 3076

http://i1073.photobucket.com/albums/w381/ericpaulyoung/update16.png

okswerve16
04-30-2012, 03:28 PM

Thats a b6 k04 the only thing in common between that an glissoar's turbo is the name.....

Operator
04-30-2012, 03:29 PM
Just so you know, that run was with an outdated K04 file, that won't even run your new K04 turbo properly.

Operator
04-30-2012, 03:29 PM
Thats a b6 k04 the only thing in common between that an glissoar's turbo is the name.....

I know that, I was just busting EP's chops.

ericpaulyoung
04-30-2012, 03:34 PM
I know that, I was just busting EP's chops.

Yup! This is the only way that we can survive a Monday! :)
- Eric

glissoar
04-30-2012, 03:46 PM
How is that, from a quick scan the guy used the wrong software and had some other issues. And this is for a b6 too. Actually the posts from people that have K04's are positive.

But the above is about taking the "guesses" and "opinions" out of it and simply looking at measured power production. I have heard people say "power under the curve is better for the K04", hell I have said it myself, but never actually tried to verify the statement. So this is just the first steps in that direction.

Added a KOR dyno. Slap some error bands on the K04 and KOR and they are pretty equal, and even with error bars, neither can keep up with Viz's 3076

http://i1073.photobucket.com/albums/w381/ericpaulyoung/k04vs3076vsKOR.png

from here
http://i1073.photobucket.com/albums/w381/ericpaulyoung/k0r.jpg
This is showing the ko4 with more power out put than the kor.... Am I wrong? I thought the kor was supposed to outperform a ko4?

Operator
04-30-2012, 04:04 PM
See my post that I was running on an outdated K04 tune. And I presume the K04 dyno he is using is Inferno's dyno on 100oct on a dynojet 6mt vs my mis-matched tune on a dyno dynamics dyno TIP. Good rule of thumb, never compare dyno numbers as if it's an apples to apples comparison.

drumnjuny
04-30-2012, 04:11 PM
This is showing the ko4 with more power out put than the kor.... Am I wrong? I thought the kor was supposed to outperform a ko4?

that's on operator's old file, which was for the old k04 and causing problems running his kor. he now is running the updated ko4 file from APR but it is still not optimized for the KOR's airflow and therefore i dont' think it belongs on the same graph as the k04 and vizi's 3076. if only drak had a dyno / was finished hah! also, is that the most current dyno for vizi's car? 325 peak awhp seems pretty low for his setup...

sorry to semi threadjack. but in terms of usable power, i don't think while i'm in boost i would drop out of it between shifts if i was taking it to redline (which should be increased to ~7500rpms). my car should spool considerably faster than the 3076 with the gtx2867 and make more power than the 325awhp shown on this dyno, plus the additional redline increases the top end range by about 10%.

I think when vizi, drak, or my car is done we will see that our setups produce more physical area, seeing as how close the 325awhp 3076 is to the area of the KO4 map already... but when you factor in cost it is definitely not an even ratio. there is no denying that haha, i will not be making twice the power of a k04 setup but drak might give you a run for (area/$) war... which i think should be the new fad haha. forget peak numbers (i've been saying that forever, for the record... dynos = dumb), lets talk area!!!!

drumnjuny
04-30-2012, 04:14 PM
See my post that I was running on an outdated K04 tune. And I presume the K04 dyno he is using is Inferno's dyno on 100oct on a dynojet 6mt vs my mis-matched tune on a dyno dynamics dyno TIP. Good rule of thumb, never compare dyno numbers as if it's an apples to apples comparison.

whoops, beat me to it. i agree operator, that it isn't ever going to be a fair comparison in setups unless its the same car with certain parts swapped. I just think that in order to gain a comparison at all we all have to agree to take everything that comes into this thread in stride, not worry about the exactness but more the general area in comparing the two types of setups. Altitude is another huge factor that isn't mentioned in terms of your old dyno...

but to be fair we should at least make all comparisons be on a 6mt 2.0L (no boring, although vizi's tiny amount of bore i think should be acceptable). again i wanna stress this shouldn't be gauged by anyone for accuracy because as we all know dynos are completely different from car to car and dyno to dyno, even with the same exact setup

ericpaulyoung
04-30-2012, 04:20 PM
Ya, dynos, while sometimes not completely accurate due to the variations inherent in the system, are pretty much our closest tool for measuring performance on the cars. So just think of the lines as fuzzy thick lines with error bars and compare the general area they are producing power for and compare them that way. Then also think about the rpms you like to drive in and wham-o we have a way to look at our hobby in "at least a little" more objective fashion. Forget the peak numbers and think about how to build your car to have the greatest area under the power curve (where you have fun driving).

As Viz, Drak, Operator and others get the tunes better for each build we should update the charts and hopefully the areas are smoothed out in the regions these guys like to drive.
- Eric

ericpaulyoung
05-01-2012, 03:55 PM
moved to main section.
- eric

glissoar
05-01-2012, 09:12 PM
moved to main section.
- eric

What?

drumnjuny
05-01-2012, 09:53 PM
we're now discussing this in the main b7 section, so your build thread can be your build thread once again [up]

ericpaulyoung
05-01-2012, 10:07 PM
we're now discussing this in the main b7 section, so your build thread can be your build thread once again [up]

Ya, I started feeling bad that I jacked your thread, so I did the right thing and stopped jacking it.
- Eric

glissoar
05-02-2012, 12:13 PM
Ya, I started feeling bad that I jacked your thread, so I did the right thing and stopped jacking it.
- Eric

lol its all good man!

DRAKLORE
05-02-2012, 12:45 PM
Just to update, when I mentioned the percentage in boost thing. It was meant to correlate with how often methanol is sprayed. Seeing how methanol is only sprayed on my setup when I'm +10psi... And seeing how my wife primarily drives te car, I was speculating that throughout a DRIVE CYCLE my car may only be in boost 1-2% of the time. But if I were to drive it more often, or race or whatever, I could GEAR DOWN to 3500rpms where my spool starts and hav no lag....

So here's the race, KO4 vs BAT- we match speeds, he is in whatever gear he feels suited, I drop down gears until my RPMS are +3500 RPMs
Now when the race starts at third honk (or whatever) I have no lag whatsoever... That's what's needed to be understood. Lag is only relative if we are talking Dtag strips, other than that I can drive around more economically because I have less chance hitting boost and therefore less fuel so better MPG (roughly 35mpg for me highway) and my wife can comfortably enjoy the car, while during the weekend or race or whatever I can get optimized performance via gearing and higher RPM range.

Using Vizs uncompleted graph with cutoff before our actuall rpm redline corrected, is deceiving... And I'll stick by that until its corrected.

He should have dynos before me, but I will gladly post as soon as I am complete. There is no doubt in my mind viz will have higher numbers from a 76 and a bit more work done than me. It will still be good to see though :-)

Shane

CorneliusRox
05-09-2012, 02:00 PM
updates?

glissoar
05-10-2012, 07:35 PM
updates?

Its been in the shop the last 3 days getting a new in tank fuel pump and Paul and Jeff are remapping the Tuning for the lower compression pistons

CorneliusRox
05-11-2012, 12:38 PM
Its been in the shop the last 3 days getting a new in tank fuel pump and Paul and Jeff are remapping the Tuning for the lower compression pistons

and then some 'spirited driving'?

glissoar
05-11-2012, 05:35 PM
and then some 'spirited driving'?

Almost LOL car still needs about 100 more miles on the engine before that! BUt yes very close to that!

SykoraA4
05-17-2012, 01:25 PM
hows she running?

drumnjuny
05-17-2012, 07:52 PM
hows she running?

x2

CorneliusRox
05-18-2012, 07:27 AM
Almost LOL car still needs about 100 more miles on the engine before that! BUt yes very close to that!

this was 7 days ago!

audi8844
05-18-2012, 09:19 AM
Update bombed!!

ericpaulyoung
05-18-2012, 05:12 PM
Bumpy ta bump

drumnjuny
05-18-2012, 05:30 PM
i think he went too fast and teleported to a different dimension

Charles.waite
05-18-2012, 05:52 PM
i think he went too fast and teleported to a different dimension

GREAT SCOTT!!

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u298/mlawton27/back_to_the_future_large_12.jpg

SykoraA4
05-21-2012, 10:45 AM
nuffin..

glissoar
05-21-2012, 04:01 PM
nuffin..
Lol sorry guys been away from the forums for quite a while tryin to catch up at work soni could go to sowo, which was an epic show! But car just got an oil change and turned the boost up today, leaving for a business trip in the am, be back on Friday, once I'm back I'm putting it on the dyno for some final build numbers!

ericpaulyoung
05-21-2012, 05:42 PM
How is it running so far?

glissoar
05-21-2012, 07:16 PM
How is it running so far?
It's awesome, really smooth so far!

SykoraA4
05-21-2012, 07:20 PM
good!

drumnjuny
05-21-2012, 09:11 PM
good to hear congrats!!

SykoraA4
06-26-2012, 09:03 AM
so its been a month. hows it going?

glissoar
07-04-2012, 07:43 PM
so its been a month. hows it going?

Car was running great up until 2 days ago, I'm having some weird boost issue, some times I will spike at 28psi and hold at 25 and other times I will spike at 22 and hold at 20. I'm supposed to have the boost set at 25 which it was consistently holding that until the other day, not sure if it's a boost leak or something but imma look into it this week and see what it is

Operator
08-04-2012, 11:46 AM
Sooooooo, how are things going?

glissoar
08-07-2012, 06:38 PM
Sooooooo, how are things going?
Everything is running great no problems, I've kind of stopped adding to the build as of now, Im really feeling a new set of wheels so I'm saving for that then just lowering it more, possibly next year I will go bigger turbo when I can afford it, maybe gt28 or something around that size

okswerve16
08-08-2012, 09:47 AM
good to hear!

glissoar
08-20-2012, 09:14 AM
Thinking of changing up the color of my wheels, any suggestions? I was thinking gold or a light blue?

Here is this car as she sits now on merc s550 wheels
http://i1119.photobucket.com/albums/k633/glissoar/DSC_0116.jpg

ANy color suggestions greatly appreciated

SykoraA4
08-20-2012, 11:32 AM
silver looks classy! if you really want to go aggressive, you could do a black or gunmetal. I would stay away from other colors with those wheels. did you ever get final dyno numbers?

drumnjuny
08-20-2012, 11:34 AM
wow car looks absolutely phenomenal! i wouldn't change a thing... but if you're gonna color them i'd go with something gun metal ish [up]

glissoar
08-20-2012, 12:47 PM
Never put it back on the dyno.....was to happy it was up and running again lol..... But I'm saving for new wheels and I just wanted to do something crazy color wise for the next few months till I have the cash for new wheels

glissoar
08-20-2012, 12:53 PM
Never put it back on the dyno.....was to happy it was up and running again lol..... But I'm saving for new wheels and I just wanted to do something crazy color wise for the next few months till I have the cash for new wheels

Firefox250
09-29-2012, 08:21 AM
Wow dude I just read your whole build page because I want to put on a K04. I think I'm going to replace the pistons and rods before the K04 goes in. Now that I've seen two builds have problems. Anyways any updates?

ericpaulyoung
09-29-2012, 11:27 AM
You don't need to replace your pistons, as the stock ones are fine. But you definitely should put rods in; they are a weak link in our car's design. I would actually put them in a K03 car, as they are bound to fail sometime no matter what.

- Eric

mec
09-29-2012, 11:27 AM
you really only need rods, the stock rods are ridiculously thin, and weak. On the other hand the stock pistons are forged and quite strong, can easily take on 30 PSI. Drop in rods and call it a day! Let me know if you end up doing this project, I'm in the middle of my engine rebuild right now.

ericpaulyoung
09-29-2012, 11:36 AM
you really only need rods, the stock rods are ridiculously thin, and weak. On the other hand the stock pistons are forged and quite strong, can easily take on 30 PSI. Drop in rods and call it a day! Let me know if you end up doing this project, I'm in the middle of my engine rebuild right now.

Ya, VW/Audi got some things right and others wrong. They went to a factory forged shaft for the 2.0 FSI which is good for 1000 hp, went with factory forged pistons good for 700 hp, then slap in the worlds shittiest rods that are questionable anywhere above 300 hp!!! What the absolute fuk Audi?? Well, everything has a ***** in the armor, and for us it is the cam follower and rods. We should probably just accept them as shitty, replace them, and get on with building our beasties! :)
- Eric

ericpaulyoung
09-29-2012, 11:37 AM
That is wierd, the site put ***** over the word c h i n k in the armor???

mec
09-29-2012, 04:03 PM
What color is that? Looks more like BMW red than Audi's brilliant red

glissoar
10-09-2012, 02:19 PM
What color is that? Looks more like BMW red than Audi's brilliant red

its good old Brilliant red! Must have been lighting when i took the picture that made it, or the editing lol!

*New update*
Ditching the 034 highflow cat and the AWE down pipe and and going with a custom cat and dp set up all in one, it will be 3in from turbo all the way back!
and Im debating ditching the rs4 injectors and going with s3 to cut out the smoke issue, I also still having a stumble at start up issue which i think is being caused by the injectors so Im hoping the s3 injector will eliminate that

CorneliusRox
10-09-2012, 02:24 PM
its good old Brilliant red! Must have been lighting when i took the picture that made it, or the editing lol!

*New update*
Ditching the 034 highflow cat and the AWE down pipe and and going with a custom cat and dp set up all in one, it will be 3in from turbo all the way back!
and Im debating ditching the rs4 injectors and going with s3 to cut out the smoke issue, I also still having a stumble at start up issue which i think is being caused by the injectors so Im hoping the s3 injector will eliminate that

make two exhausts and then ship me the second one!

But you should keep a record of price because I am curious on it and want 3" TBE

viziers
10-09-2012, 03:56 PM

To get rid of most if not all the soot you need to get with your tuner because it is really all in the tuning... At first mine smoked REALLY bad with the VAST tuning but since I switched to Evan he has gotton rid of all but a tiny bit of soot that collects on my bumper (going through 4+ full tanks of gas and I have almost no soot on my rear bumper)

vizi

glissoar
10-10-2012, 07:45 PM
make two exhausts and then ship me the second one!

But you should keep a record of price because I am curious on it and want 3" TBE
My buddy at hb motor works is doing all the fab work on the dp, once he finishes ill pm you some pictures and a price, once he makes a jig for the set up he can pop them out pretty quick

glissoar
10-10-2012, 07:49 PM
At vizi
Ya I have been working with Jeff at united motor sports and Paul at hb motorwerks to get the tune right, Jeff and Paul both think the s3 injectors will be easier to tune, so far we haven't been able to get the tune just right with the rs4 spray pattern, but Jeff just put together a revision for my tune that I'm going to flash when I get the new down pipe and cat setup, so I'm hoping he has fixed some of the kinks, like the black smoke issue

ericpaulyoung
10-10-2012, 09:08 PM
At vizi
Ya I have been working with Jeff at united motor sports and Paul at hb motorwerks to get the tune right, Jeff and Paul both think the s3 injectors will be easier to tune, so far we haven't been able to get the tune just right with the rs4 spray pattern, but Jeff just put together a revision for my tune that I'm going to flash when I get the new down pipe and cat setup, so I'm hoping he has fixed some of the kinks, like the black smoke issue

Funny thing, even though I had zero smoke issues, my injectors and pistons were all covered with buildup and soot looking crap when I pulled my engine apart. It was about 1-2 mm thick just on my injectors! I am running RS4's

Operator
03-14-2013, 09:18 AM
How's the car been running?

drumnjuny
03-14-2013, 09:40 AM
no updates from the K0R/K04 crowd nowdays...

glissoar
03-27-2013, 05:37 AM
How's the car been running?

Car is running good, still pulling strong, haven't had time to finish up the down pipe set up or look into s3 injectors so the build has been on a mild hold, I'm looking at break set ups right now since my rotors are slightly warped. Your thread helped a lot with pointing me in the righ direction! And I'm considering clutches, probably will go with a drakes performance but not sure when I'm going to pull the trigger on that, but breaks are a must right now

glissoar
08-19-2013, 05:53 PM
Back from the dead bump!

So I'm finally getting around to things I have been putting off for a while, next week I will be taking my car back in for a 3in cat/dp set up and finally getting the revision of my UM tune Jeff has had ready forever to get rid of the black smoke of the rs4 injectors and also turn the boost up slightly. My buddy Paul will be fabbing up the new set up next week, I'm still debating of keeping a HFC or going with a straight test pipe, test pipe is obviously cheaper and less restrictive but not sure if I want to run catless which is illegal in virginia as well as most everywhere else lol! After all this is done I'm hoping to finally get it on the Dyno which I never did after the rebuild of the new engine! For anyone that still cares about this baby ko4 build will post pictures once installed

Firefox250
08-19-2013, 05:57 PM
I'm interested and looking forward to your dyno. I'm going to have UM revision done too by Jeff in person on the 4th of September.