PDA

View Full Version : B&O / MMI / Audio System Questions

Stereodude
01-06-2012, 10:18 PM
I have some questions about the B&O, MMI, and audio systems available in the S4 that I couldn't find answered in the brochures, websites, or on the forums.

1) Is the B&O system in the S4 the same regardless of whether you have MMI or not? Are all the controls / setting for the B&O system on the LCD (bass, treble, balance, fade, seating position, surround, etc) the same for both?
2) How many SD slots does the non MMI system have?
3) Does the MMI or non-MMI system have SDXC support (cards >32GB)
4) When using USB how many tracks / folders will the system handle? (Is it the same for the either system?)
5) Does either the MMI or non-MMI system have a problem with iPod's with thousands and thousands of tracks on them?
6) Does the audio system rebuild some sort of database for iPod or SD cards every time the car is started or how does that work?
7) Is album art displayed on the LCD with both the MMI and non MMI system?

Thanks!

Stubek
01-06-2012, 11:09 PM
MMI has 2 SD slots
the I know they support 32, not sure about 64, but I think so.
I have MMI with a 180GB iPod full and no problems. A little slow once in a while, but not bad.
yes, it reloads the iPod every time, so it might take 10-30 seconds to display stuff, but it starts playing in about 5 seconds or less. Of course, my iPod is 3 years old and still has a spinning drive. newer and solid state iPods might be faster
no, album art is not displayed.

tsjordan
01-06-2012, 11:20 PM
1) Not quite. When you get NAV, the B&O has a digital connection to the amp. No NAV means an analog connection. I'm not sure a human could tell, but... I'm not sure about the controls.
2) 1, IIRC, at least on the 2011s. It's 2 on the B&O.
3) I don't *think* so. 32g max, but I'm not sure.
4) a lot? I have a pretty full 32g sd card, and it's fine. If all of the songs are in one folder, that folder might take some time to load.
5) No, but see #4. Some said the ipod hookup doesn't sound as good as sd cards. I haven't tried the ipod hookup.
6) Mine doesn't rescan the sd card... at least not that I can tell... just starts playing where it left off (even if you mute it before stopping - separate problem). I think it scans when you change folders.
7) As Stubek said, negative, but nice idea!

tomh009
01-07-2012, 03:13 AM
Don't know the non-MMI system so ...

2) Two SD slots for MMI, with or without B&O, but don't know about non-MMI (would assume the same though)
3) 32GB maximum, no SDXC (www.audi.com/com/brand/en/.../mmi_navigation_plus.browser.html)
4) I believe USB is still 4000 songs maximum, but have not tested
5) With the iPod interface, there are no limits enforced since the iPod manages the tracks
6) The media is scanned and the database rebuilt when you insert a card. I leave my cards in and it continues playing the last song within a few seconds (though shuffle is always reset to off)
7) No album art

Stereodude
01-07-2012, 07:02 AM
Thanks for the replies guys!

1) Not quite. When you get NAV, the B&O has a digital connection to the amp. No NAV means an analog connection. I'm not sure a human could tell, but... I'm not sure about the controls.I knew about the analog vs. digital connection different already, but thanks for mentioning it since you obviously didn't know that.

2) 1, IIRC, at least on the 2011s. It's 2 on the B&O.Any idea what it is for a non-MMI B&O system?

4) I believe USB is still 4000 songs maximum, but have not testedDoes the same song limit apply to the SDHC cards?

7) No album artThat's unfortunate. Does anyone know if the new 2013 MMI system displays album art?

Stereodude
01-07-2012, 07:21 AM
Long story short, I'm trying to come up with some justification to get MMI on a 2013, but can't seem to find any compelling reasons at ~$2k. I don't really care about Nav, and while HD radio is nice (assuming the 2013 still has it) and digital connection to the amp instead of analog would also be nice those two reasons are definitely not ~$2k nice.

tomh009
01-07-2012, 07:39 AM
Yes, SD cards have the limit of 4000 tracks. I find that it's not really a problem, assuming your MP3s have a decent bit rate.

For me, it was a combination of SD media, MMI control (for other aspects as well) and navigation: together they justified taking the $2000 option (I chose the one without the $500 backup camera).

apexit1
01-07-2012, 07:40 AM
Not sure if it's still the same but when I'm pretty sure when I picked mine up non MMI gave you the lower resolution screen. If you haven't seen one, take a look. I had a loaner with it and I couldn't get over how bad it looked.

Stereodude
01-07-2012, 09:59 AM
Yes, SD cards have the limit of 4000 tracks. I find that it's not really a problem, assuming your MP3s have a decent bit rate.Thanks, Will it play AAC or FLAC files from a SD card?

Stereodude
01-07-2012, 10:08 AM
Not sure if it's still the same but when I'm pretty sure when I picked mine up non MMI gave you the lower resolution screen. If you haven't seen one, take a look. I had a loaner with it and I couldn't get over how bad it looked.Are you referring to the the color TFT in the cluster that gets replaced with a lower resolution red LCD if you don't have Nav/MMI or the LCD in the center stack?

Stereodude
01-07-2012, 12:17 PM
Answering some of my own questions after digging through the forums more...

1) Is the B&O system in the S4 the same regardless of whether you have MMI or not? Are all the controls / setting for the B&O system on the LCD (bass, treble, balance, fade, seating position, surround, etc) the same for both?It's similar but not quite identical. The optical / digital (MOST bus) connection to the amp that some with the MMI/Nav system offers the additional control of "Sound Focus" which allows digital time alignment of the audio to a particular seat in the car. This is not available on cars that don't have MMI/Nav because they lack the digital connection to the amp. source (http://forums.audiworld.com/showthread.php?t=2766873)

2) How many SD slots does the non MMI system have?The non-MMI/Nav system has 1 SD card slot.

apexit1
01-07-2012, 01:11 PM
Are you referring to the the color TFT in the cluster that gets replaced with a lower resolution red LCD if you don't have Nav/MMI or the LCD in the center stack?

I'm talking about the actual nav screen that displays all of the menus.

Stereodude
01-07-2012, 01:21 PM
I'm talking about the actual nav screen that displays all of the menus.Hmmm... Okay thanks for the clarification. It sounds like I may be getting MMI/Nav even though I don't really care about the navigation portion of it.

sworksone
01-07-2012, 03:26 PM
Hmmm... Okay thanks for the clarification. It sounds like I may be getting MMI/Nav even though I don't really care about the navigation portion of it.

I didn't get Nav and have always regretted it. I don't really care about navigation itself as I have a nice handheld Garmin, but the older generation MMI, loss of ability to switch individual ADS settings, smaller and lower resolution MMI screen, less MMI options (no sound focus for B&O and who knows what else), ADS button location different, probably lower quality B&O sound, no back-up camera (in Canada anyways), no hard-drive, one versus two SD card slots, are all reasons I wish I paid the extra for Nav. My fault for being a somewhat early S4 buyer coupled with Audi's terrible communication/advertising of what the differences were.

Dr GP
01-07-2012, 04:03 PM
Hmmm... Okay thanks for the clarification. It sounds like I may be getting MMI/Nav even though I don't really care about the navigation portion of it.

I think you may be confused. You have no choice in getting the MMI screen. It is standard. Nav is optional and is dispalyed through the MMI screen . Nav gives you a slightly better radio sound and the ability to make small changes that you can't do without nav.

Stereodude
01-07-2012, 04:40 PM
I think you may be confused. You have no choice in getting the MMI screen. It is standard. Nav is optional and is dispalyed through the MMI screen . Nav gives you a slightly better radio sound and the ability to make small changes that you can't do without nav.Backing up apexit1's comments, the European A4/S4 brochures indicate the center stack LCD screen is not the same if you don't get Nav. Nav/MMI gives you a 7" LCD. The standard one is 6.5"