PDA

View Full Version : eBay sub-$100 test pipe?

ABreeden
01-04-2012, 05:35 PM
Is there a major difference between the $80ish eBay test pipes vs a $250 APR test pipe? It's just a straight pipe so I couldn't imagine any R&D differences, but are they major fitment/quality issues with the eBay ones? I would rather not dish out another $170 if its really not necessary...

bman005
01-04-2012, 06:08 PM
From my experience you get what you pay for, EBay no name stuff scares me. I'd shop around the more reputable companies and see who has the best deal

bennyc767
01-12-2012, 11:25 AM
Is there a major difference between the $80ish eBay test pipes vs a $250 APR test pipe?

In my experience the answer is no. It's just a pipe. Are the welds going to be as good and will it last as long (decades?) as the high quality APR one? Probably not. If it doesn't fit you can always send it back. The low price you see with the eBay ones is because they copy existing designs, completely eliminating R&D from their product cost.

What you should be asking yourself is do you want to support some fly by night Chinese company marketing cheap parts, or a reputable company that continues to support the platform and the community. Did you try to contacting retailers and see if they might be running sales or discounts for you?

ABreeden
01-24-2012, 06:51 PM
In my experience the answer is no. It's just a pipe. Are the welds going to be as good and will it last as long (decades?) as the high quality APR one? Probably not. If it doesn't fit you can always send it back. The low price you see with the eBay ones is because they copy existing designs, completely eliminating R&D from their product cost.

What you should be asking yourself is do you want to support some fly by night Chinese company marketing cheap parts, or a reputable company that continues to support the platform and the community. Did you try to contacting retailers and see if they might be running sales or discounts for you?

I don't understand where R&D would come in with a short, straight pipe?...but for almost all copied products I agree with you.

Scotty@Advanced
01-24-2012, 07:37 PM
Inferior and thinner steel. There's also pretty crappy material out there and weld quality has to be considered. I believe the APR is a 3 series stainless, and the ebay pipes are likely 4 series stainless if even stainless steel. Also you need to look at the wall thickness of the pipe, I've seen some chinese tube products with wall thicknesses so thin it porous. When looking at cheap knockoff products you need to look at the cost of the product, cost of install and the chance you will have to pay to replace it again and again and those costs add up quickly.

ABreeden
01-24-2012, 09:34 PM
Inferior and thinner steel. There's also pretty crappy material out there and weld quality has to be considered. I believe the APR is a 3 series stainless, and the ebay pipes are likely 4 series stainless if even stainless steel. Also you need to look at the wall thickness of the pipe, I've seen some chinese tube products with wall thicknesses so thin it porous. When looking at cheap knockoff products you need to look at the cost of the product, cost of install and the chance you will have to pay to replace it again and again and those costs add up quickly.

I understand what you're saying. I would always rather do something once the right way, than again and again going the 'cheap' route..for the short run that is. But I just figured that there wouldn't bee much difference in a piece like a test pipe. The welds looked good, from what I could see but I guess you really don't know how cheap of product it is til you get it...

Nt8867
06-02-2013, 12:32 PM
I understand what you're saying. I would always rather do something once the right way, than again and again going the 'cheap' route..for the short run that is. But I just figured that there wouldn't bee much difference in a piece like a test pipe. The welds looked good, from what I could see but I guess you really don't know how cheap of product it is til you get it...

I currently have the ebay test pipe for my B7 A4 and the quality is exceptionally good for an $80 pipe. Sounds awesome no CEL. Save yourself the money and do the same. Why pay over $200 for a test pipe made of the same T304 stainless steel? Go ebay for this mod, you'll thank me later.

samo
06-04-2013, 06:54 PM
which one were you looking at on ebay?

BLEX
06-13-2013, 11:39 AM
test pipes and such off ebay do not tend to last that long. Welds will look good but will soon end up breaking or even crack.