PDA

View Full Version : Are radar detectors any use in Vancouver?

zeal
10-02-2011, 09:14 PM
Hi all - thinking about picking up a radar/laser detector, but am wondering if they are a worthwhile investment in the Vancouver area. Are most of the police using laser now in the area (vs. radar)? Do they typically use instant-on? Most of the speed traps you see these days are cops standing behind light posts, on bridge approaches, etc with their laser/radar guns (not sure if radar or laser). Just wondering if it's worth the investment. Have read good things about Valentine V1.

a4audi4fun
10-02-2011, 10:06 PM
Think it's mostly laser in the urban areas these days, so your detector is basically telling you that you have been caught. On the highways, a good detector may help, since it is usually someone one following you or coming from the other direction, so you can get some level of earlier warning via reflections from other cars. My 2c worth.

J Ozzie
10-03-2011, 02:35 AM
Yeah hes right, These days these cops just sit behind a pole or a traffic box and shoot their laser. By the time your detector goes BEEEEEEEEEEP your toast. The odd time they will use their cop radars and it will most certainly help when driving and they are coming at you. But i don't know if i would invest in one.

Leor604
10-08-2011, 12:15 PM
I have one but don't use it in the city. Can't remember the last time I saw a radar gun in YVR. All laser these days [:(]

I do use it outside the city where you are still more likely to get nailed by a cruiser with radar coming in the opposite direction, coming up behind you or parked on the side of the road. Saved me a few times.

FlyGti
10-31-2011, 04:53 PM
I have one but don't use it in the city. Can't remember the last time I saw a radar gun in YVR. All laser these days [:(]

I do use it outside the city where you are still more likely to get nailed by a cruiser with radar coming in the opposite direction, coming up behind you or parked on the side of the road. Saved me a few times.

http://www.laser-interceptorusa.com/673.html

witchcraftz
11-07-2011, 08:02 AM
I use mine when going on long trips where I will be "cruising" on the highway. But for city driving, just respect the speed limits! :)

parm104
11-18-2011, 12:55 AM
I spent $500 on a Passport X50 a few years back (4-5 years ago.)

I've used it for a few months, maybe 8 total. Since then, it's been sitting in my playroom lol.

Speeding tickets? None...