PDA

View Full Version : DIY: 2.0T Test Pipe Install

Del@Creative
10-02-2006, 01:22 PM
Here it is my first attempt at a DIY write up sorry if I miss any steps

INSTALLING B7 TEST PIPE

1. Remove front oxygen sensor (O2)
2. Remove the top 17mm nuts connecting the cat and the turbo
(I used a 17mm swivel head socket with a 3in. extension on a 3/8 drive ratchet)
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b312/deljustdel/test%20pipe/o2andbolts.jpg

3. Disconnect red connector for 2nd O2 sensor located on driver side fire wall next to the coolant tank and follow the harness toward the O2 sensor and cut the ziptie holding the harness
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b312/deljustdel/test%20pipe/02b2.jpg

4. Lift the car up on a rack or on jack stands NOTE: if using jack-stands allow plenty of ground clearance to clear the down pipe and cat
5. Remove the bottom 17mm bolts connecting the cat and turbo
(sorry no pic of this but I used the same tools as I used to remove the top ones)

6. Remove the spring loaded bolt holding the down pipe, don't worry the spring will not fly off when unbolting this
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b312/deljustdel/test%20pipe/spring.jpg

7. Remove small cross member (10mm 12piont spline drive bolts) and loosen the exhaust collar nuts (13mm)
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b312/deljustdel/test%20pipe/bracket.jpg

8. Slide collar back toward the muffler
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b312/deljustdel/test%20pipe/move.jpg

9. Now slide the cat downward with the down-pipe and remove from vehicle (This can be a little tricky but it does come down this way you may need to twist and turn it out to come out but don't force it out it should come out fairly smoothly)
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b312/deljustdel/test%20pipe/drop.jpg

10. Now unbolt the cat from the down-pipe (3, 12mm nuts on 3, 13mm bolts) and install testpipe to down-pipe, don't forget to replace the gasket, nuts and bolts
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b312/deljustdel/test%20pipe/out.jpg
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b312/deljustdel/test%20pipe/finish.jpg

11. and now just follow steps 9-1 to finish installation of testpipe. the finished product
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b312/deljustdel/test%20pipe/done.jpg

Hint: when reinstalling front O2 sensor twist it 10 times counter clockwise so that when screwing it back in the wires don't get twisted (you'll see what I'm talking about)

Disclaimer:
My self as well as Creative Autoworks is not responsible for any damage or injuries caused by following this write up.

And there it is, hope this helps and I hope it was detailed enough. If anyone has any questions about this install feel free to call the shop and I'll walk you through any steps your having trouble with.

Del@Creative[wrench]

i_fry_rice
10-02-2006, 09:13 PM
^^ Is it difficult without a lift? is it hard to reach?

Del@Creative
10-02-2006, 09:24 PM
It depends if you can get the car high enough so that when you do step 9 the down pipe hangs pretty low you might need to unbolt it while its hanging like in the pic. and the bottom bolts (17mm) on the turbo side might be a little bit of a stretch if you have wide arms but still very doable. slide under the care from the front not from the side I think its easier that way, that way your facing toward the cat. when your unbolting everything

stylesx
08-14-2007, 06:53 AM
Hello,

I was thinking of doing something like this, what i had in mind was just to remove the muffler portion but still keep the cat and resonator so basically purchase a sleeve from audi and then remove the last portion of pipe where the muffler is connected and replace it with this new sleeve and a custom straight pipe hence removing the muffler making the 3.2 engine puuuur.

Does anyone see anything wrong with this?? my fear is loosing back pressure and losing performance

Thank you

Phrost
11-18-2007, 09:38 AM
Oh man, I'm in the process of doing this install right now. I'm using my 1.5ton Craftman low-profile jack, and the damn thing doesn't go high enough. I put the catalytic converter back onto the turbo and tried taking off the downpipe bolts, but they're a really tight fit so I gave up yesterday temporarily.

I'm really considering buying a bottle jack that will go higher, but I don't know if it will go high enough... and doing more bolts is going to be a huge pain.

I'm going to try to finish again today, and I'll have some additional tips to add as well.

Unleaded20T
06-10-2008, 04:59 PM
Whats the gain when you do this?

o7S-line
01-04-2009, 08:43 PM
how do you deal with the codes if ur car isent flashed

adub
02-22-2009, 09:33 PM
Important note:

Automatic transmissions have to have their Cats pulled from the top of the car.

Manual Transmitions can go both ways but its easier to have the Cat pulled from underneith the car making it easier to take off the downpipe bolts.

CAREFUL FOR YOUR O2 SENSORS!!!

awdjunkies
03-04-2009, 03:19 PM
ok so would this be the same for a B6?? I searched for this and didn't find it.
Thanks for the illustration by the way [cool]

bblume
03-11-2009, 09:57 AM
Is this feasible with ramps??
I'd like to do it myself,just not sure if it's worth the trouble/fun!!

red_rock_beetle
07-18-2009, 11:58 AM
how long did it take?

bagher
09-12-2009, 01:48 PM
thanks! this install guide helped out a lot!

one thing, i didn't put the exhaust spring retainer back on (pic 3) and now i have a skid control light on (and i can't turn traction control off). i'm going to throw the car back on the lift, but anyone else have this issue?

theklug
12-29-2009, 12:30 AM
Holy thread revival, but anyone still have these pics available?

af1master692
03-22-2010, 07:53 AM
will installing a testpipe throw a check engine code?

Chris_tA_4
03-28-2010, 08:17 PM
could this DIY apply for the B6 1.8T???

shiro1745
07-25-2010, 01:55 PM
Nice. It doesn't seem to hard when reading it. I'm going to do this soon. Hope all goes well and easy

audib7maniac
07-29-2010, 12:43 PM
I have a tip, is there anything extra i would have to do?

your daddy
09-22-2010, 11:30 PM
thanks! this install guide helped out a lot!

one thing, i didn't put the exhaust spring retainer back on (pic 3) and now i have a skid control light on (and i can't turn traction control off). i'm going to throw the car back on the lift, but anyone else have this issue?

plug your MAF back in.

Der Konig
08-26-2011, 04:15 PM
Hey the o2 sensors aren't reverse threaded are they? Mine is being a pita to get off

Der Konig
08-27-2011, 09:31 PM
Nvm got it, just on there pretty snug.

jimrobbington
10-05-2011, 08:28 AM
Gotta do emissions this month, so it looks like I'll be trying this one out. Is it necessary to replace gaskets every time?

Gil2.0T
10-05-2011, 08:31 AM
Gotta do emissions this month, so it looks like I'll be trying this one out. Is it necessary to replace gaskets every time?

I dont think so.

AllBlackA4
12-01-2011, 10:27 PM
is this the same on the b8?

mcpcartier
07-07-2012, 05:41 PM
Did this (actually installed an 034 HFC...but same idea) in the garage today and had the front up on jack stands. Wasn't even close to getting the CAT/downpipe coming out without splitting them. Plan on seperating them when they're halfway out (easy to do at that point, the bolts are accessible) and the same on the way back in.

ssieverding
08-09-2012, 05:38 AM
A few bits of advice after installing my 034 HFC... I would HIGHLY recommend putting copious amounts of wd-40 on all of the nuts and bolts (besides O2 sensors) the night before you do this, also several hours before, and during. This makes it much much easier to take off the bolts if they like mine were very rusty... My exhaust coupler bolts and nuts were rusted so bad that I had to actually cut them off because even with the wd-40 and a wire brush there was no getting them off. (just used new bolts from a hardware store) Also if you take out the air intake box you can take the catalytic converter and downpipe out through the top of the engine bay pretty easily if you don't have a lift to take it out from the bottom. Same process as described above just finaggle it out the top.

Cakija
03-11-2013, 10:23 PM
another repeated question but without being reflashed this will throw a cel code correct?

Toasted Coastie
03-12-2013, 07:17 AM
another repeated question but without being reflashed this will throw a cel code correct?

Depends on the one you got I guess. I got the RAI with the J tube, and it did not throw a code.

Cakija
03-12-2013, 10:37 AM
Depends on the one you got I guess. I got the RAI with the J tube, and it did not throw a code.

good info is there a place you can get just the j tube or the threaded spacer they mention in there add ?

Toasted Coastie
03-12-2013, 03:59 PM
good info is there a place you can get just the j tube or the threaded spacer they mention in there add ?

It came with my test pipe. However, I do believe europaparts has threaded spacers.

sent from the T3

Cakija
03-13-2013, 09:10 PM
It came with my test pipe. However, I do believe europaparts has threaded spacers.

sent from the T3

thank you seems like ill try the ebay one itl cost me about a 100$ with a threaded spacer

Lensch09
03-14-2013, 06:09 AM
thank you seems like ill try the ebay one itl cost me about a 100$ with a threaded spacer

If you can get it by this weekend, I'll be up at Lichty Auto on Saturday. We can throw it in quick. If not, get ahold of Templeton.
-Dan

apachedaddy
07-21-2014, 03:20 AM
JUST TO LET YOU KNOW ON THE b7 2.0T QUATTRO (triptronic) you have to unbolt the downpipe from the cat to remove it. It will NOT come out the top or bottom with them still connected.

Planespotting
09-04-2014, 11:33 PM
JUST TO LET YOU KNOW ON THE b7 2.0T QUATTRO (triptronic) you have to unbolt the downpipe from the cat to remove it. It will NOT come out the top or bottom with them still connected.

Not true... got both out the top of my tip 2 nights ago. Pry bars may have been involved. What we thought might be a 1.5 hour job turned in to 5 hours, mostly trying to get that out.