PDA

View Full Version : Good One!!

jason1st
02-01-2005, 08:01 AM
Just kidding,

The A8 section needed a new post. Feel free to follow up!

Imperial
02-01-2005, 11:02 AM
okay, here's a question -

BMW's giving the 7-series a quick makeover, complete with a retooled front and rear and a couple new options here and there, not to mention a displacement increase from 4.4 to 4.8 litres for their V8's. Think this'll be detrimental to any progress A8 sales had or could be making? Or are shoppers that go for the 7 vs the A8 in different leagues completely (since the amount of taste varies like immensely, heh)

discuss...

Liam@TheGallery
02-01-2005, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by Imperial
okay, here's a question -

BMW's giving the 7-series a quick makeover, complete with a retooled front and rear and a couple new options here and there, not to mention a displacement increase from 4.4 to 4.8 litres for their V8's. Think this'll be detrimental to any progress A8 sales had or could be making? Or are shoppers that go for the 7 vs the A8 in different leagues completely (since the amount of taste varies like immensely, heh)

discuss...

Audi will facelift the rest of the A8 lineup and add FSI to the 4.2 V8 (good for 340 - 420 hp depending on the application)

jason1st
02-01-2005, 01:07 PM
It's a good question.

But,

Anyone I've talked to that bought an A8 knew they wanted one.

I think the new facelift A8 looks better than anything in it's class.

Not only that. But the pics of the new 7 still don't do it for me. It still doesn't look much different to me.

Besides, my current A8 still has more horse than the new 7 right?

Imperial
02-01-2005, 01:23 PM
FSI in the 4.2L V8 for the A8? Really? When? I heard that they might be doing that for the S8. Of course they could always just tune it differently but have all the engines be FSI. That'd be pretty cool actually. And A8 facelift? Really? When's that supposed to be comign along. I'm guessing they'll get the "shield" up front to keep up with the other models getting it. But then the VV12 won't stand out as much in the A8 lineup..

So far as 7-series vs A8 customers, I think that most people who go for an A8 know that it's exactly what they want. While I admit that the 745i is kinda hot (but only with those 19" sport wheels, and not the multi-spoke ones, the other ones that sorta look like a V) and a little sportier than the A8, overall the A8 is waaaaay more elegant. It's my choice, too, hehe.

I dunno if the new 7 will have more horses than the current A8. It might, but if it does, it won't be too great a margin. Or maybe it will, I forget. The specifics of the new 4.8L V8 are in the link I posted for the new 7 in Gen Car Talk.

Liam@TheGallery
02-01-2005, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by Imperial
FSI in the 4.2L V8 for the A8? Really? When? I heard that they might be doing that for the S8. Of course they could always just tune it differently but have all the engines be FSI. That'd be pretty cool actually. And A8 facelift? Really? When's that supposed to be comign along. I'm guessing they'll get the "shield" up front to keep up with the other models getting it. But then the VV12 won't stand out as much in the A8 lineup..

So far as 7-series vs A8 customers, I think that most people who go for an A8 know that it's exactly what they want. While I admit that the 745i is kinda hot (but only with those 19" sport wheels, and not the multi-spoke ones, the other ones that sorta look like a V) and a little sportier than the A8, overall the A8 is waaaaay more elegant. It's my choice, too, hehe.

I dunno if the new 7 will have more horses than the current A8. It might, but if it does, it won't be too great a margin. Or maybe it will, I forget. The specifics of the new 4.8L V8 are in the link I posted for the new 7 in Gen Car Talk.

Yes there are 2 versions of the FSI 4.2; normal-rev and high-rev. The facelift is for MY 2006 (all Audi's except for the TT will have the new grill design before year-end). Facelift 750i/Li will have 360hp and its been said the 4.2 for the A8 will have the same.

badmyan
02-01-2005, 04:44 PM
330HP is not enough when you consider both the A6 and S4 have more and are both lighter. 360Hp is hardly a fix, I need 400+.

Imperial
02-01-2005, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by AtlasD3Miami
Yes there are 2 versions of the FSI 4.2; normal-rev and high-rev. The facelift is for MY 2006 (all Audi's except for the TT will have the new grill design before year-end). Facelift 750i/Li will have 360hp and its been said the 4.2 for the A8 will have the same.

normal- and high-rev versions of the FSI 4,2? That's hot. So the '06 will have the new face, eh? Also nice. That new grille's grown on me a lot, actually. I wonder when the cabriolet's will get the grille, too. The next-generation TT is definitely supposed to have it, but that one won't be making it's debut until at least late '06 or '07 I don't think. I hope they give it an aggressive face and the brawn to match, though. I'd love that. Anyway, a 360hp A8 will be nice, too, I think, although I have yet to drive/ride in a current A8, so I can't comment on it's power. 335hp seems alright, I suppose. The S4 having more hp isn't too surprising I don't think since it is indeed a sport-sedan, so it's supposed to be brawny.

I can't believe the standard engines on the 7-series here in the US will be the 750. I remember when the 750iL was their (gorgeous) V12 flagship. *sigh* murdered yet another honored and venerated name, Bangle. [headbang]

foofighter
02-01-2005, 05:44 PM
FSI will replace all that we know!!!! w00t w00t!!!

That shield is going to be across the board change.

jason1st
02-02-2005, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by badmyan
330HP is not enough when you consider both the A6 and S4 have more and are both lighter. 360Hp is hardly a fix, I need 400+.

Agreed. Do they have mods for our 8's to increase this now?

badmyan
02-03-2005, 07:06 AM
The only option now is a SC, MTM's developing one for the S4.

I'm not to intrested in a 6 psi SC, I would much prefer a twin turbo upgrade using a similar setup to the RS6.

I'll wait and see what happens with the S8, and either buy one of those or the W12.

Originally posted by jason1st
Agreed. Do they have mods for our 8's to increase this now?

jason1st
02-03-2005, 08:51 AM
I too am getting the S8 when it comes out. Not sure about the W12. I don't want to spend over $100k for a daily driver.

A8inPA
02-06-2005, 04:16 AM
i'm curious is to how much the S8 will cost.
if most A8's are around 75k i would think the
S8 will be a solid 10k more.

jason1st
02-06-2005, 10:25 AM
^^^^

I think it'll be 10k.