PDA

View Full Version : DSG Gearbox Malfunction

Pages : [1] 2

SebGood
03-03-2010, 09:28 AM
My 2010 S4 has 9,500 miles on it. Over the weekend I started getting warning messages saying "Gearbox malfunction, you may continue driving. Limited functionality." and sometimes the car had trouble getting going from a stop. It's at the dealer now and they're diagnosing.

Anyone else have experience with this? The searches I did showed some similar issues on A4's that turned out to be some kind of transmission filter that takes 4+ weeks to order. I hope that's not the case here.

Zed 2.0
03-03-2010, 09:43 AM
The only DSG malfunctions that have been written about on the S4 forums just have to do with a wrong version of software (though weird for that to happen at 9,500 miles). Keep us updated.

davidlangley
03-03-2010, 12:54 PM
The exact same thing happened to my S4 several month ago. My dealer was on day two of installating a new S-tronic transmission in it when they were notified that the original software had a fault that only appeared after several months and 5-10k+ kilometers. So the new gearbox was totally unecessary. This has evidently happened to a number of other NA owners. (Mine has been flawless since.) Your dealer should be well aware of this issue and can download the correct software build/release/version.

SebGood
03-04-2010, 11:18 AM
Awaiting a new "Multi-tronic" to arrive at the dealer. Once it arrives, they will check if the new part has V1 or V2 of the circuit board and determine how to proceed.

Missing my old manual transmission...

Zed 2.0
03-04-2010, 11:24 AM
What was the diagnosis?

NWS4Guy
03-04-2010, 11:40 AM
Awaiting a new "Multi-tronic" to arrive at the dealer. Once it arrives, they will check if the new part has V1 or V2 of the circuit board and determine how to proceed.

Missing my old manual transmission...

I think they meant to tell you "Mechatronic" - this is the brain that is comprised of small sets of hydrolic valves and actuators which are responsible for the movement of the gears and selection in the DSG.

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/dsg_faq.htm

Scroll about 60% down the page, they talk about the mechatronics and removal/replacement.

Zed - No real diagnosis, if they plug it in and the DSG says "bad mechatronics" they replace the entire module, sending the bad one back to be cleaned out and rebuilt. The valves and actuators in there are very sensitive, so any sliver of metal or dirt particle can really hose them. This is why pre-B8 S4, the maintenance interval was a very strict 40K miles to replace all the fuild and filter. With ours, it shouldn't need this (according to Audi) as they now have 2 oil loops - one ATF loop that lubes the gear meshes and cools the clutch plates, doing double duty in flitering the metal out of the fluid from mesh wear and tear - then a hypoid oil loop for the mechatronics ONLY to use - removing the chances of the gears shedding metal that the filter misses and hosing the mechatronics.

SebGood
03-04-2010, 01:08 PM
I think they meant to tell you "Mechatronic" - this is the brain that is comprised of small sets of hydrolic valves and actuators which are responsible for the movement of the gears and selection in the DSG.

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/dsg_faq.htm

Scroll about 60% down the page, they talk about the mechatronics and removal/replacement.

Zed - No real diagnosis, if they plug it in and the DSG says "bad mechatronics" they replace the entire module, sending the bad one back to be cleaned out and rebuilt. The valves and actuators in there are very sensitive, so any sliver of metal or dirt particle can really hose them. This is why pre-B8 S4, the maintenance interval was a very strict 40K miles to replace all the fuild and filter. With ours, it shouldn't need this (according to Audi) as they now have 2 oil loops - one ATF loop that lubes the gear meshes and cools the clutch plates, doing double duty in flitering the metal out of the fluid from mesh wear and tear - then a hypoid oil loop for the mechatronics ONLY to use - removing the chances of the gears shedding metal that the filter misses and hosing the mechatronics.

Indeed, I know I read of another S4 owner in this forum who had the mechatronics replaced, so I thought that's what he meant.

NWS4Guy
03-04-2010, 02:12 PM
Indeed, I know I read of another S4 owner in this forum who had the mechatronics replaced, so I thought that's what he meant.

Yes, your's is the 3rd I have knowledge of being replace, in addition to 2 which just needed a software reflash.

Leo
03-04-2010, 04:16 PM

Mine was replaced last year at approximately 4500km's. Haven't had a problem since. Might have been a bad batch.

SebGood
03-10-2010, 12:38 PM
Update: New mechatronic has arrived at the dealer. Apparently it's a newly improved version, and it can come with one of two circuit boards (V1 or V2). It arrived with the V1 circuit board, so now we have to wait a week to get a V2 circuit board from Germany.

NWS4Guy
03-10-2010, 12:58 PM
Update: New mechatronic has arrived at the dealer. Apparently it's a newly improved version, and it can come with one of two circuit boards (V1 or V2). It arrived with the V1 circuit board, so now we have to wait a week to get a V2 circuit board from Germany.

DOH!! but good news that you will have the newest rev which should (one would think) work better and correct issues with V1.

What did they give you to drive in the interim?

SebGood
03-10-2010, 01:04 PM
DOH!! but good news that you will have the newest rev which should (one would think) work better and correct issues with V1.

What did they give you to drive in the interim?

Well, I started with a Pontiac G5... then "upgraded" to a Hyundai, and the next day the dealer held one of their loaner cars that got returned so I have a new (4k miles) A3 now. Decent car, but hard to get used to the front wheel drive. I think it'll need two new front tires when I'm done with it! :)

Nickyracer
03-10-2010, 10:16 PM
With ours, it shouldn't need this (according to Audi) as they now have 2 oil loops - one ATF loop that lubes the gear meshes and cools the clutch plates, doing double duty in flitering the metal out of the fluid from mesh wear and tear - then a hypoid oil loop for the mechatronics ONLY to use - removing the chances of the gears shedding metal that the filter misses and hosing the mechatronics.
Are you sure about that?
My opinion is that common hypoid oil lubes the gears and Torsen diff, just like ordinary MT, and special ATF oil (not Dexron, some kind of an original VAG oil) is for lubricating of clutches and all of the hydraulic cirquits inside S-tronic.

As a reminder - my mechatronic was replaced at 7500 km. 19000 km it is now, no more transmission issues.

SebGood
03-16-2010, 10:01 PM
Update: It's been at the dealer for 2 weeks now. New mechatronic w/ new circuit board was installed today. They test drove it and got the same fault code as before. Back to the drawing board...

I must say though that Audi of America is quite good about customer service. They called and want to do whatever they can to take care of me. I'm really bummed about my bad luck with new Audis though. My 2000 S4 was the best car ever and I wish I still had it. 2008 S6 lived at the dealer, replacement 2008 S6 spent it's first 2 weeks at the dealer and still was never right... and now this.

SebGood
03-19-2010, 12:42 PM
Entirely new transmission on its way!

Blake P
04-13-2010, 02:39 PM
Entirely new transmission on its way!

Oh wow... so sorry to hear about your bad luck, Seb. Has the new transmission been installed? Hopefully you're back on the road again by now... otherwise the A3 should be on it's 3rd set of front tires?! :-D

SebGood
04-14-2010, 01:44 PM
Yes, the new transmission is in. I've put about 400 miles on it and it seems to be working fine. I must say that it does perform differently. They say this is a new revision of the S-Tronic. It seems to me that it's been toned down a bit. Before, if I had both transmission and rear diff set to Dynamic, I had tons of fun accelerating into corners and feeling that rear diff whip it around the corner. Now, it seems that the shift program is more conservative and the transmission seems to opt for higher gears more often even in "S" mode. So I no longer get that feeling on the cornering because the transmission is shifting up so much. I know, the solution is to shift it manually... but I do miss the old "S" mode in the original transmission.

NWS4Guy
04-14-2010, 02:44 PM
Don't forget that with a new transmission the ECU will likey have to relearn your driving style all over again. It may get better over time and be back to where it was.

hjlopez19
09-26-2011, 08:59 PM
I got the same issue at 21K miles. Its at the dealer right now, except they went straight to replace the Tranny. I also got some errors about Parking Brake Failure. DId you have that error? How is the car now?

Kay15
10-08-2011, 11:22 AM
It just had happen to me today. Before the RPM would shoot up like the car was in N in the middle of a gear or the car would hold or lag the gear before shifting. Then today it happen again where I usually let off the gas and problem fixes it self in seconds I continued to give it throttle and the message came up. Will be going in Tuesday sharp to get it looked at.

jscaf
10-08-2011, 11:38 AM
It just had happen to me today. Before the RPM would shoot up like the car was in N in the middle of a gear or the car would hold or lag the gear before shifting. Then today it happen again where I usually let off the gas and problem fixes it self in seconds I continued to give it throttle and the message came up. Will be going in Tuesday sharp to get it looked at.

How many miles???

Kay15
10-08-2011, 02:21 PM
How many miles???

It happen at about 20k (kms) and im at about 22 and change now. They said it is most likely the Mechatronics.

NWS4Guy
10-08-2011, 03:17 PM
It happen at about 20k (kms) and im at about 22 and change now. They said it is most likely the Mechatronics.

I'd agree, not a big deal to change out, but still a pain on a new car.

MANNYS4
10-17-2011, 05:14 PM
Old thread but this just happen to me yesterday : (
Dealer said the mechatronic had to be replaced. The car is also giving a parking brake error message.
I found it odd they handed me the car back and tOld me it was safe to drive until the new unit arrives.
Can anyone chime in?
Hope everything works out!
First the water pump then thermostat now this...

motionneon
10-17-2011, 06:08 PM
Are all of these malfunctioning gearboxes on 2010s?

Kay15
10-17-2011, 08:18 PM
Mines was a 2011, my parking brake was acting up the other day it wouldnt apply but it didnt give me an error on it. I aside from the error got dead throttle a few times as well but no error message or anything came up. I would step on it and no response from the car once it was making a left but it only lasted few second.

S4Tokyo
10-29-2011, 01:02 AM
Mine, a 2010 MY, had same happen last week - which after stopping engine and restarting with no recurrence of problem, I thought it was a once off - but then again twice this weekend.
Dealer wasn't able to conclude initially what needed correction or replacement (just had time to run a scan on ECU, which did throw up error). As problem is not critical - precautionary limp mode warning which reverts to normal mode after clutch temp cools a little - I was likewise also given ok to drive home until they take car in later in the week.

Some other thread detail I picked up on, towards end of the article, explains a little why it's potential for damage is avoided once sent into limp mode. Just hassle of car being away for couple days ; http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/356141-Details-about-the-Seven-speed-dual-clutch-gearbox-0B5-S-tronic-(DL501)

11/4 : Follow up Prognosis - Mechatronic being replaced. Only 12K Km on meter (ref).

Old thread but this just happen to me yesterday : (
Dealer said the mechatronic had to be replaced. The car is also giving a parking brake error message.
I found it odd they handed me the car back and tOld me it was safe to drive until the new unit arrives.
Can anyone chime in?
Hope everything works out!
First the water pump then thermostat now this...

'10S4
11-21-2011, 08:07 PM
I'm out driving and I get the transmission malfunction safe to drive warning... then it happens five minutes later... and five minutes later the warning comes again and the car goes out of gear and into neutral, it then "catches" and I get home. I have a 2010 S4, with the DSG, 36K miles.

From the collective experience of the community, does it sound like I'm going to need a new transmission? In advance, thanks!

BartJanssen
01-05-2012, 12:47 AM
I have a S4 2009, I had this issue yesterday and today. I have 35.000km on it... Is this covered by the extended warranty? Tnx!

S4Tokyo
01-05-2012, 03:20 AM
I have a S4 2009, I had this issue yesterday and today. I have 35.000km on it... Is this covered by the extended warranty? Tnx!

3 year warranty is normal I think - so if you're inside that (just?) then you should be covered.

Since my mechatronic module was replaced no problems have recurred.

BartJanssen
01-05-2012, 03:53 AM
It's from oct 2009 so I should be in the "safe zone". I read somewhere(cannot find the url atm) that the extended warranty for stronic is 6years or 100.000km... Can someone acknowledge this?

BTW tnx S4Tokyo!

NWS4Guy
01-05-2012, 07:24 AM
It's from oct 2009 so I should be in the "safe zone". I read somewhere(cannot find the url atm) that the extended warranty for stronic is 6years or 100.000km... Can someone acknowledge this?

BTW tnx S4Tokyo!

As I said on Audiworld on your thread on this, if you got a letter from Audi like the US owners did who were hit by both the thermostat and water pump recalls, they sent a letter stating a 100K miles, 6 year warranty on the power train.

BartJanssen
01-05-2012, 07:48 AM
@ NWS4Guy, I'm the second owner of the car so maybe the previous owner got the letter, maybe not. I think it is not a bad idea if the dealer also checks thermostat and water pump status.

Anyway it is good to know that this occurred in the US! If the dealer is giving me a hard time I will most likely need a copy from such a letter. I hope you guys can help me out, if needed...

Thanks!

BartJanssen
01-06-2012, 02:28 AM
Mechatronics issue...dealer confirmed and and also confirmed replacement under warranty...they will even pickup the car @ my place!

S-FIZZOR
01-28-2012, 11:32 AM
Mechatronics failure just happened to me as well 2010 with 36k mi. this is starting to look like a trend. Anyways in the mean time dealer, gave me a Brand new 2012 S4 loaner car, only 44 miles on it !!! Gotta love Rector Audi !!!

metalica08
01-28-2012, 01:00 PM
I had a similar issue before when I was about 10k miles; I was on the highway about 80 mph, and the car just slowed down with no acceleration. I pulled over and restarted the car then it was fine. But the dealership replaced ATF gasket and ATF filter, as this could happened from lack of ATF oil circulation.

theKB
02-04-2012, 06:15 PM
2011 delivered April 1 2011 checking in with the Problem that showed up yesterday less than 10000km... Reminds me of my mk5 the way it's acting

Should be interested to see what it is by mechatronics is what I'm gessing

theKB
02-05-2012, 08:25 PM
2011 delivered April 1 2011 checking in with the Problem that showed up yesterday less than 10000km... Reminds me of my mk5 the way it's acting

Should be interested to see what it is by mechatronics is what I'm gessing

Geez the car is a death trap when the tcu goes into a hard limp... Power completely drops off between 2-3k rpm and it takes forever to shift

jimlai322
02-06-2012, 02:49 PM
my 2010 S4 with 48k miles is getting the Mechatronic replaced right now. The SA said they will do a 100 mile road test to determine if the entire transmission will need to be replaced.

theKB
02-07-2012, 02:08 PM
Well the official word came down today, will be out for two weeks because the mechatronics has failed. He claimed it was one of the first 2011's to present this problem. Oh well...

2011_S4
05-10-2012, 08:42 AM
I now have the same issue with 49K. This is the fourth time I have suffered a gearbox malfuntion since September and the second time it's been in the shop this week for this issue. The first time this week they did the software update and it worked fine for a day. Then it went into limp mode while I was on the highway yesterday (scary as hell). I'm guessing it's mechatronics now, there can't be much left to do otherwise I imagine, other than replace the whole tranny. [:(]

Akrion
05-10-2012, 10:11 AM
I now have the same issue with 49K. This is the fourth time I have suffered a gearbox malfuntion since September and the second time it's been in the shop this week for this issue. The first time this week they did the software update and it worked fine for a day. Then it went into limp mode while I was on the highway yesterday (scary as hell). I'm guessing it's mechatronics now, there can't be much left to do otherwise I imagine, other than replace the whole tranny. [:(]

Sorry to hear that. It is somewhat disappointing ... Look @ it this way ... better to happen @ 49K than at 56K when you are totally out of warranty, although the fact that the dealership can fix permanently the issue after 3 times is outrageous!

Gweezil
05-10-2012, 10:26 AM
I too had a mechatronic unit replaced on a 2009 VW Jetta wolfsburg with 2.0T and DSG. There goes the profit on a $22K car. Sure glad I go the 6MT this time around.

2011_S4
05-10-2012, 05:33 PM
Sorry to hear that. It is somewhat disappointing ... Look @ it this way ... better to happen @ 49K than at 56K when you are totally out of warranty, although the fact that the dealership can fix permanently the issue after 3 times is outrageous!

Entire tranny needs replacing. They're guessing 8 weeks for the thing to arrive. Now I will have had the entire engine and tranny replaced within a year and a half of ownership. Not looking good.

Akrion
05-10-2012, 05:38 PM
Entire tranny needs replacing. They're guessing 8 weeks for the thing to arrive. Now I will have had the entire engine and tranny replaced within a year and a half of ownership. Not looking good.

They did not give you hard time about the exhaust etc right?

2011_S4
05-10-2012, 06:18 PM
They did not give you hard time about the exhaust etc right?

They didn't care one bit about the exhaust, but they kept asking me if the engine was tuned because the clutches were running very hot. They said that the engine was making more power than it should be, causing extra load on the DSG. I don't have a tune and told them that they should be able to tell if I did. They then asked how I would know that, and I mentioned the TD1 detection when they scan. They said they scanned the car but still believed I had a tune as the engine was making much more power than it should. I told them to scan it all day long, they won't find anything because there's nothing to find.

Within a couple hours they called back and said they believed me. That was the end of that discussion. Very odd. So either I have a factory freak for an engine or they were just bluffing to try and get me to bite. Either way, I don't have a tune so I'm not too concerned.

L0U
05-10-2012, 08:07 PM
they all make much more power than they should....like 300 at the wheels..under rated.

Dguth
07-27-2012, 02:57 PM
Well, just had the gearbox malfunction light show up on mine. Have 2010 with 29,800 miles. It still drove technically fine for my commute back home. Will take it in to the dealership in the morning to see whats going on. Probably get the TD1 flag while it's there.

zulujams
07-27-2012, 03:01 PM
Sorry to hear. Any chance to get a vagcom scan before going in? Hope it is something easy (and covered).

Dguth
07-27-2012, 03:23 PM
Good idea. I'll call the guys at elite tonight to see if they can scan it.

MailmanOdd
07-27-2012, 07:46 PM
This just happened to me...2012 S4. Pulled over to pick someone up. Then when I accelerated it all of the sudden bogged down and the dash lit up. Gearbox malfunction, engine malfunction, TPMS malfunction. What the fuck?

edit: Forgot to mention...only 15,000mi. Just got 15k mile service 2 weeks ago.

dparm
07-27-2012, 07:53 PM
This just happened to me...2012 S4. Pulled over to pick someone up. Then when I accelerated it all of the sudden bogged down and the dash lit up. Gearbox malfunction, engine malfunction, TPMS malfunction. What the fuck?

edit: Forgot to mention...only 15,000mi. Just got 15k mile service 2 weeks ago.

That sounds like more of an electrical problem, perhaps a short to ground.

MailmanOdd
07-27-2012, 09:54 PM
It gets weirder. Went down three hours later, turned her on, no gearbox or tpms errors. Drove it around for 5 minutes no problem. Check engine lights on though.

Dguth
07-28-2012, 06:44 AM
Same thing on mine. I didn't get the other errors you did, neither did the car bog down or act weird. The error code went off after about 5 miles. Once I got it back home, started it back up a few times, no error code. Taking it in to elite this morning to scan what code it pulled. It could of either overheated for some weird reason or beginning sign of the mechatronics going bad.

Dguth
07-28-2012, 08:47 AM
Quick update: just got back from getting it scanned. It was only an electronic error from the gear selector lever sensor. Not really sure what that is but it only happened once. We cleared it hopefully it won't happen again or we might have to replace that sensor. Thank goodness it wasn't the DSG or mechatronic unit.

MailmanOdd
07-28-2012, 11:05 AM
Quick update: just got back from getting it scanned. It was only an electronic error from the gear selector lever sensor. Not really sure what that is but it only happened once. We cleared it hopefully it won't happen again or we might have to replace that sensor. Thank goodness it wasn't the DSG or mechatronic unit.

That's good. I'm hoping it was minor for me as well

S4IN333
07-28-2012, 12:12 PM
I'm waiting for a mechatronics unit as we speak... been waiting since July 5th...lol
Hope everything works properly after they replace it [wrench]

zulujams
07-29-2012, 06:42 AM

Glad to hear it may be something minor or may not even be an issue at all. And you got to save your TD1 flag for a future visit to the dealer [;)]

RWD2quattro
07-29-2012, 06:04 PM
The mechatronics was replaced on my 2012 S4 around 6K miles. The car has ran for several months, I have 10K now. About 3 weeks ago I was at a light, when to take off and it bogged down to the point that I pulled over with no power, no CEL or codes registered (twice now on dynamic mode), then power comes back like nothing happened without shutting the car off.
I took the car back to the dealer and they contacted TAC support and TAC wanted the dealer to duplicate the issue and check for codes.
Dealer had my car for 5 days and nothing, we shall see what happens in the near future. Anyone else experiencing this multiple times?

I kick myself daily for not buying a manual...

MailmanOdd
07-30-2012, 05:12 AM
At the dealer now, they are taking a look at it.

Edit: they're going to keep the car and look into the problem some more. :(

MailmanOdd
07-30-2012, 12:52 PM
Just talked to the service department. The engine threw faults for "transmission fluid pressure". Anyone seen this before?

They need to test the transmission out with fluids at specific temperatures. They're gonna run those tests and get back to me tomorrow.

Dguth
07-30-2012, 01:15 PM

Update2: The gearbox malfunction error did pop back up again yesterday (3 times); not only did this error pop up but also got a parking brake error as well. Got to a red light and put it into park, turned the engine off and then went to turn it back on but it wouldn't start - couldn't read that I had the shifter in P or N. Tried this several times and finally got it to start. Took it into the dealership today, so we will see what happens and whether any TD1 flags keeps them from fixing it under warranty. It clearly seems to be some electronic/sensor error with the gear selector lever...

MailmanOdd
07-30-2012, 01:16 PM
Update2: The gearbox malfunction error did pop back up again yesterday (3 times); not only did this error pop up but also got a parking brake error as well. Got to a red light and put it into park, turned the engine off and then went to turn it back on but it wouldn't start - couldn't read that I had the shifter in P or N. Tried this several times and finally got it to start. Took it into the dealership today, so we will see what happens and whether any TD1 flags keeps them from fixing it under warranty. It clearly seems to be some electronic/sensor error with the gear selector lever...

Seems like it is happening to plenty of people that are not tuned so I don't think you should have any problems. Good luck.

2011_S4
07-30-2012, 02:17 PM

Hopefully it's an easy fix. Best of luck!

PeerS4
07-31-2012, 01:23 AM
Wow seems like allot of people are getting their trannies replaced over there. Same thing happened to me earlier this year with my 2010 with 43.5K miles.

First the Gearbox malfunction light came on, and the car felt sluggish. Stopped the car restarted it, and the error and problem was gone. Further down the road, same error popped up with the R crossed out and I lost the use of the K2 clutch, so on had 1,3,5, and 7 gears.

Had the Mechatronic Unit replaced, but then had a gear grinding noise when I got the car back. I had to fight them to replace the Gearbox.

They eventually replaced the gearbox. however when they did they forgot to bolt it to the cradle, so I had a gearbox that kept bouncing around when I drove on uneven roads.

Had everything sorted since then, and its going strong. I'm preparing now to do APR pulley and software.

Hope you come right man

MailmanOdd
07-31-2012, 09:35 AM
Well...bad news and good news. The bad news is that they think my mechatronics failed but the good news is that they don't have to replace the entire transmission.

Hopefully this fixes the problem but if it doesn't I'm going to insist on getting them to replace the gearbox.

dparm
07-31-2012, 10:01 AM
They didn't care one bit about the exhaust, but they kept asking me if the engine was tuned because the clutches were running very hot. They said that the engine was making more power than it should be, causing extra load on the DSG. I don't have a tune and told them that they should be able to tell if I did. They then asked how I would know that, and I mentioned the TD1 detection when they scan. They said they scanned the car but still believed I had a tune as the engine was making much more power than it should. I told them to scan it all day long, they won't find anything because there's nothing to find.

Within a couple hours they called back and said they believed me. That was the end of that discussion. Very odd. So either I have a factory freak for an engine or they were just bluffing to try and get me to bite. Either way, I don't have a tune so I'm not too concerned.

More proof that this TD1 thing is just fear-mongering. Glad to hear your dealer is treating you well. Perhaps you should post which dealer it is -- they deserve to get more business.

Dguth
07-31-2012, 01:18 PM

Update from the dealer: The sensor gearbox malfunction error I am getting is from a sensor within the transmission itself. The service advisor stated that the sensor was not "servicable", I guess meaning there is no replacement part or they can't fix it. They would have to replace the entire transmission and the bad news is that beause my car is tuned (aka TD1d now) it cannot be replaced under warranty.

Good news is that the transmission is working fine it's just this sensor error that may come on sporadically. They said it occured twice yesterday in the shop but never came on today. I guess my option at this point is to just drive the car since it's causing no mechanical problem at this point. I'm certainly not paying $13k to replace the transmission unless more problems start to occur as a result. Either that or trade it for something else...

MailmanOdd
07-31-2012, 01:21 PM
Update from the dealer: The sensor gearbox malfunction error I am getting is from a sensor within the transmission itself. The service advisor stated that the sensor was not "servicable", I guess meaning there is no replacement part or they can't fix it. They would have to replace the entire transmission and the bad news is that beause my car is tuned (aka TD1d now) it cannot be replaced under warranty.

Good news is that the transmission is working fine it's just this sensor error that may come on sporadically. They said it occured twice yesterday in the shop but never came on today. I guess my option at this point is to just drive the car since it's causing no mechanical problem at this point. I'm certainly not paying $13k to replace the transmission unless more problems start to occur as a result. Either that or trade it for something else...
Well I don't think that they can claim that your tune is causing this issue. I'm having the exact same issue and I'm stock (as are several other people with this issue). I think if you brought it up with AoA you could get a better resolution.

MailmanOdd
08-02-2012, 10:32 AM
Well, just heard from my service advisor. The mechatronics unit was ordered on Tuesday, being coded today and should probably be ready for install on Monday. Would be great if they were able to diagnose and fix the problem in only a week (especially since they had to do a lot of testing and order the part). I'll let you guys know once it's in if it fixes my problem.

MailmanOdd
08-08-2012, 12:48 PM
Guess I shouldn't have been so optimistic. Unit just shipped from Germany on THIS Tuesday (after they told me it shipped LAST Tuesday). They said it could be here by Friday but I am not getting my hopes up...

RWD2quattro
08-08-2012, 09:07 PM
You're lucky, I waited three weeks w/o my car...
Glad they are replacing your mechatronics [up]

Leor604
08-08-2012, 09:18 PM
Well I don't think that they can claim that your tune is causing this issue. I'm having the exact same issue and I'm stock (as are several other people with this issue). I think if you brought it up with AoA you could get a better resolution.

Unfortunately, yes they can claim that the tune is causing the issue. It may not be right, but it gets them out of paying for the claim.

burrito007
08-17-2012, 02:50 PM

More proof that this TD1 thing is just fear-mongering. Glad to hear your dealer is treating you well. Perhaps you should post which dealer it is -- they deserve to get more business.

Unfortunately, yes they can claim that the tune is causing the issue. It may not be right, but it gets them out of paying for the claim.

wow i guess not just fear-mongering anymore.

i'm getting the "gearbox malfunction you can continue driving" message pretty consistently now. I got it once about 2 months ago, and recently i got it 4 times on an hour long trip and once every other day. Going to take the car in for service, if they give me this B.S. 13k bill then i'm going to just trade the car in.

MailmanOdd
08-17-2012, 02:58 PM
Finally got car back with replaced Mechatronics. Seems to be working ok for now.

dparm
08-17-2012, 03:27 PM
burrito, in this case it is very much a possibility that the excess power has stressed the S tronic past its design limits. We don't know.

My comment about fearmongering was that a person would go in for a burnt-out tail lamp and a dealer would say "oh we're not fixing that, you have TD1."

wow i guess not just fear-mongering anymore.

i'm getting the "gearbox malfunction you can continue driving" message pretty consistently now. I got it once about 2 months ago, and recently i got it 4 times on an hour long trip and once every other day. Going to take the car in for service, if they give me this B.S. 13k bill then i'm going to just trade the car in.

burrito007
08-17-2012, 03:41 PM
burrito, in this case it is very much a possibility that the excess power has stressed the S tronic past its design limits. We don't know.

My comment about fearmongering was that a person would go in for a burnt-out tail lamp and a dealer would say "oh we're not fixing that, you have TD1."

no im pretty sure everyone's fear was about transmission, diff, and engine problems... why would anyone go to the dealer for a tail-light?

Dguth
08-18-2012, 07:41 AM
Burrito, any update on the cause of your malfunction issue or did you take it in? Mine ultimately did what yours is doing. Started coming on almost everyday. I've since traded my car as I don't have the time to deal with it and also didnt want to incur the financial risk. I guess the term "pay to play" has a lot more meaning to it when you potentially could have to pay to replace the transmission yourself.

RWD2quattro
08-27-2012, 07:17 PM
Any updates?
Has anyone encountred new issues or reoccuring issues with S tronic as described in this posting?

My S tronic still jerks into first gear when coming to a stop and/or when taking off from a stop, it jerks into first gear.
I drove a new Boxter S and a new 991 Carrera S and that was the smoothes transmission's I've ever driven during the Porsche Road show event in Alameda. PDK is beautiful thing, too bad Audi can't learn to tune S Tronic from their big brother...

Thanks

MailmanOdd
08-27-2012, 07:19 PM
I had this problem and my mechatronics were replaced about 2 weeks ago. I've put on 500+ miles and the problem has not come back. Seems to drive smoother and less jerky at slow speed too.

s4boy
08-27-2012, 07:29 PM
anyone with a 2013 have this problem? i dont want to pick up my 13 and have this problem! glad your cars are getting fixed and working again!

Vandalrg
08-28-2012, 04:00 PM
Just got this message on my 2013. Joy. Going out to vagcom it and see what's up. Fortunately it happened a block from home.

Vandalrg
08-28-2012, 05:35 PM
Well, after shutting off the car and letting it sit, the CEL cleared and just left me with a TPMS light. I checked the codes to confirm what the MFD told me and have posted them below. I checked the tire pressure to be sure (it was normal on all 4 tires) and reset the TPMS.

Tuesday,28,August,2012,19:41:32:56140
VCDS Version: Release 11.11.4
Data version: 20120807

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chassis Type: 8R0
Scan: 01 02 03 05 08 09 15 16 17 19 22 36 3C 42 44 46 47 52 53 56
5F 62 6C 72 A9

VIN: WAUKGAFL4DA088060 Mileage: 5860km/3641miles

01-Engine -- Status: OK 0000
02-Auto Trans -- Status: Malfunction 0010
03-ABS Brakes -- Status: Malfunction 0010
04-Steering Angle -- Status: OK 0000
05-Acc/Start Auth. -- Status: OK 0000
08-Auto HVAC -- Status: OK 0000
09-Cent. Elect. -- Status: OK 0000
15-Airbags -- Status: OK 0000
16-Steering wheel -- Status: OK 0000
17-Instruments -- Status: OK 0000
19-CAN Gateway -- Status: Malfunction 0010
22-AWD -- Status: OK 0000
36-Seat Mem. Drvr -- Status: OK 0000
3C-Lane Change -- Status: OK 0000
42-Door Elect, Driver -- Status: OK 0000
44-Steering Assist -- Status: OK 0000
46-Central Conv. -- Status: OK 0000
47-Sound System -- Status: OK 0000
52-Door Elect, Pass. -- Status: OK 0000
53-Parking Brake -- Status: OK 0000
56-Radio -- Status: OK 0000
5F-Information Electr. -- Status: Malfunction 0010
62-Door, Rear Left -- Status: OK 0000
6C-Back-up Cam. -- Status: OK 0000
72-Door, Rear Right -- Status: OK 0000
A9-Struct. Borne Sound -- Status: OK 0000

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 01: Engine (J623-CGXC) Labels: None
Part No SW: 8K5 907 551 E HW: 4G0 907 551 A
Component: 3.0l V6 TFSIH07 0002
Revision: --H07---
Coding: 0A250034052600060000
Shop #: WSC 06208 000 00000
ASAM Dataset: EV_ECM30TFS0218K5907551E 001002
ROD: N/A
VCID: 387505FB8388C7D8D95

No ASAM data for: "EV_ECM30TFS0218K5907551E" (AU48)
No fault code found.
Readiness: 0000 0000

Address 02: Auto Trans (J217) Labels: 0B5-927-156.clb
Part No SW: 8K2 927 156 M HW: 0B5 927 156 J
Component: 0B5 30TFSINAR H01 0004
Revision: --H01---
Coding: 000001
Shop #: WSC 06325 000 00000
ASAM Dataset: EV_TCMDL501021 001010
ROD: EV_TCMDL501021_AU48.rod
VCID: 40856D1BDB588F18615

1 Fault Found:
18015 - Sensor for Gear Actuator 2
P17E1 00 [101] - Mechanical Malfunction
Not Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00000001
Fault Priority: 2
Fault Frequency: 1
Reset counter: 40
Mileage: 5864 km
Date: 2012.08.28
Time: 18:20:33

Address 03: ABS Brakes (J104) Labels: 8K0-907-379.clb
Part No SW: 8K0 907 379 CK HW: 8K0 907 379 CK
Component: ESP8 quattro H09 0100
Revision: -------- Serial number: --------------
Coding: 291D1A
VCID: 840D210B07C0D33885D

1 Fault Found:
01315 - Transmission Control Module
013 - Check DTC Memory - Intermittent
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00101101
Fault Priority: 6
Reset counter: 118
Mileage: 5864 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2012.08.28
Time: 18:20:33

Freeze Frame:
Hex Value: 0x0040
Hex Value: 0x4006
Hex Value: 0x120D
Hex Value: 0x23B2
Hex Value: 0x0000

Address 05: Acc/Start Auth. (J393) Labels: 8K0-907-064-05.clb
Part No SW: 8K0 907 064 GM HW: 8K0 907 064 FM
Component: BCM2 2.0 H11 0621
Revision: 00002001
Coding: 0D814000000000000000
VCID: 8103281F18D2C610AEB

Subsystem 1 - Part No SW: 8K0 905 852 E HW: 8K0 905 852 E
Component: J764 ELV MLB H40 0046

No fault code found.

Address 08: Auto HVAC (J255) Labels: None
Part No SW: 8K1 820 043 T HW: 8K1 820 043 T
Component: KLIMA 3 ZONEN H04 0121
Revision: C1000000 Serial number: 01120620122079
Coding: 6600228000
VCID: 397300FFB082DED026B

No fault code found.

Address 09: Cent. Elect. (J519) Labels: 8K0-907-063.clb
Part No SW: 8K0 907 063 DJ HW: 8K0 907 063 DJ
Component: BCM1 1.0 H16 0103
Revision: 09016001 Serial number: 00000435864102
Coding: 260000918034AFE0210048C300003D0D0F9CD308A209022100 0008004000010200020030000000
Shop #: WSC 06325 123 12345
VCID: 7AF1DFF3F50415C86F1

Subsystem 1 - Part No SW: 8K1 955 119 A HW: 8T1 955 119 Labels: 1KX-955-119.CLB
Component: WWS 140612 H07 0080
Coding: 00FD11

Subsystem 2 - Part No SW: 8U0 955 559 B HW: 8U0 955 559 B
Component: G397_RLFS H06 0002
Coding: 02005D

Subsystem 3 - Part No SW: 8K0 941 531 AS HW: 8K0 941 531 AS
Component: E1 - LDS H03 0031

Subsystem 4 - Part No SW: 4G0 907 410 A HW: 4H0 907 410 A
Component: USHL4.2 H30 0030

Subsystem 5 - Part No SW: 8K5 941 329 HW: 8K5 941 329
H01 0031

Subsystem 6 - Part No SW: 8K5 941 329 HW: 8K5 941 329
H01 0031

Subsystem 7 - Part No SW: 4H0 907 658 HW: 4H0 907 658
Component: AQ_Hum_Sensor H03 0003

No fault code found.

Address 15: Airbags (J234) Labels: 8K0-959-655.clb
Part No SW: 8K0 959 655 P HW: 8K0 959 655 P
Component: AirbagVW-AU10 H45 0610
Serial number: 003KJD90BLKU
Coding: 303842354730303030304A55304C384B3053
ASAM Dataset: EV_AirbaECUVWAUDI010 003010
ROD: EV_AirbaECUVWAUDI010_AU48.rod
VCID: 4A914F33ED644548BF1

Seat occupied recognition:
Subsystem 1 - Part No SW: 8K0 959 339 C HW: 8K0 959 339 C
Component: BF-Gewichtss. H02 0040
Serial number: 5810000R1200009P6E

Crash sensor for side airbag; driver side:
Serial number: 6334MSME71424121

Crash sensor for side airbag; passenger side:
Serial number: 6344MSME6754122EF

Crash sensor for side airbag; rear driver side:
Serial number: 6352QSME7A175840J

Crash sensor for side airbag; rear passenger side:
Serial number: 6362QSME73155768K

Crash sensor for front airbag; driver side:
Serial number: 63732SME12153560M

Crash sensor for front airbag; passenger side:
Serial number: 63832SME58162568+

No fault code found.

Address 16: Steering wheel (J527) Labels: 8K0-953-568.clb
Part No SW: 8R0 953 568 S HW: 8R0 953 568 S
Component: Lenks.Modul H07 0171
Revision: 00000000 Serial number: 20120615001105
Coding: 000036
VCID: 51A3585F08327690FEB

Component: E221 - MFL H03 0003

No fault code found.

Address 17: Instruments (J285) Labels: 8T0-920-xxx-17.clb
Part No SW: 8K0 920 982 L HW: 8K0 920 982 L
Component: KOMBIINSTR. H35 0553
Revision: 00000000 Serial number: RBN54DD6D
Coding: 8BB709008B01D705020000
VCID: 3D7B14EFA4AAE2F00A3

No fault code found.

Address 19: CAN Gateway (J533) Labels: 8T0-907-468.clb
Part No SW: 8R0 907 468 J HW: 8R0 907 468 D
Component: GW-BEM 5CAN-M H11 0051
Revision: 1Z090025 Serial number: 2541Z1252902A4
Coding: 80C303FF00
VCID: 46897B03F17CA1285B9

Subsystem 1 - Part No SW: 8T0 915 181 HW: 8T0 915 181
Component: J367-BDMHella H03 8041

1 Fault Found:
00384 - Optical Databus
011 - Open Circuit - Intermittent
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00101011
Fault Priority: 5
Reset counter: 113
Mileage: 5792 km
Date: 2012.08.26
Time: 17:13:57

Freeze Frame:
Bin. Bits: 10000
Voltage: 12.30 V
Count: 7
Bin. Bits: 00000

Address 22: AWD (J492) Labels: 8K0-907-163.clb
Part No SW: 8K0 907 163 B HW: 8K0 907 163 A
Component: 4 Wheel Drive H13 0100
Serial number: 000206120001023
ASAM Dataset: EV_AllWheelDiffeQSPCAN 003019
ROD: EV_AllWheelDiffeQSPCAN.rod
VCID: 2F673EA776C6006088F

No fault code found.

Address 36: Seat Mem. Drvr (J136) Labels: 8T0-959-760.clb
Part No SW: 8K0 959 760 D HW: 8K0 959 760 D
Component: MEM-FS H06 0076
Revision: AA000000 Serial number: 00000030579766
Coding: 00581B00000000000000
VCID: 3B7F1AF7BABEECC0347

No fault code found.

Address 3C: Lane Change (J769) Labels: None
Part No SW: 8T0 907 566 A HW: 8T0 907 566
Component: SWA Master H16 0040
Serial number: 0178421611
Coding: 010211
Shop #: WSC 06324 000 00000
ASAM Dataset: EV_LaneChangAssis 001020
ROD: EV_LaneChangAssis.rod
VCID: 3E7913E3A1ACF9E8139

Lane Change Assistant 2:

No fault code found.

Address 42: Door Elect, Driver (J386) Labels: 8K0-959-793.clb
Part No SW: 8T0 959 793 P HW: 8T0 959 793 G
Component: TSG FA H09 0304
Coding: 011C13204E00410001
VCID: 56A9AB4321DC11A82B9

No fault code found.

Address 44: Steering Assist (J500) Labels: 8K0-909-144.clb
Part No SW: 8K0 909 144 D HW: 8K0 909 144 B
Component: RCEPS H36 0505
Revision: 00001000 Serial number: 0001621251
Coding: 100000010001
Shop #: WSC 06324 000 00000
ASAM Dataset: EV_RCEPSAU48X 005010
ROD: EV_RCEPSAU48X.rod
VCID: 326137D365F42D88E71

No fault code found.

Address 46: Central Conv. (J393) Labels: 8K0-907-064-46.clb
Part No SW: 8K0 907 064 GM HW: 8K0 907 064 FM
Component: BCM2 2.0 H11 0621
Revision: 00002001 Serial number: 0178663847
Coding: 0106023A00FA40058030013200000000
Shop #: WSC 06324 123 12345
VCID: 8103281F18D2C610AEB

Subsystem 1 - Part No SW: 8K0 959 719 B HW: 8K0 959 719
Component: GTO BF H01 0080

Subsystem 2 - Part No: 1K0 951 605 C
Component: LIN BACKUP HO H05 1501

Subsystem 3 - Part No SW: 8K0 959 591 B HW: 8K0 959 591
Component: J245 PS050 H08 0043

No fault code found.

Address 47: Sound System (J525) Labels: 8T0-035-223-BOM.clb
Part No SW: 8T1 035 223 A HW: 8T1 035 223 A
Component: DSP Prem H05 0030
Revision: 00005001 Serial number: 94813003915402
VCID: 2D5B24AF74CA7270BA3

No fault code found.

Address 52: Door Elect, Pass. (J387) Labels: 8K0-959-792.clb
Part No SW: 8T0 959 792 P HW: 8T0 959 792 G
Component: TSG BF H09 0304
Coding: 011E13204E00410001
Shop #: WSC 06325 123 12345
VCID: 55ABAC4F3CDA1AB0223

No fault code found.

Address 53: Parking Brake (----) Labels: 8K0-907-801-V2.clb
Part No SW: 8K0 907 801 K HW: 8K0 907 801 J
Component: EPB-4 H01 0002
Revision: -------- Serial number: 00000000072502
ASAM Dataset: EV_ParkiBrake 001027
ROD: EV_ParkiBrake.rod
VCID: 377706C78E96C8A0D0F

No fault code found.

Address 56: Radio (R) Labels: Redir Fail!
Part No SW: 4G0 035 082 D HW: 4G0 035 082
Component: Radio U SIRIU H60 0112
Revision: AB001007 Serial number: 156FW0C7605521
Coding: 020007010000000001
VCID: 2143C89F3812A6100EB

No fault code found.

Address 5F: Information Electr. (J794) Labels: 4E0-035-6xx-5F.clb
Part No SW: 8R1 035 746 B HW: 8R1 035 746 B
Component: H-BNT-NA H43 0552
Revision: -------- Serial number: 204FS0C7505830
Coding: 110200000206E1EF55028F4E00000403140000000000000000
VCID: 36690BC3819C31A8CB9

Subsystem 1 - Part No: 8R0 060 884 AM
Component: NAR 2012 0605

Subsystem 2 - Part No SW: 8R0 919 604 HW: 8R0 919 604
Component: DU7 High H41 0104

Subsystem 3 - Part No SW: 8T0 919 611 C HW: 8T0 919 611 C
Component: E0380 Bedient H02 0020

Subsystem 4 - Part No: 8R0 060 961 D
Component: CD-Database 4353

1 Fault Found:
02067 - Optical Databus; Unpermitted Wake-Up Request
000 - - - Intermittent
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00100000
Fault Priority: 6
Reset counter: 113
Mileage: 5792 km
Date: 2012.08.26
Time: 17:12:14

Freeze Frame:
Voltage: 12.40 V

Address 62: Door, Rear Left (J388) Labels: 8K0-959-795.clb
Part No SW: 8T0 959 795 Q HW: 8T0 959 795 H
Component: TSG HL H07 0304
Coding: 010C13204000210001
VCID: 59B3A07F50C23ED006B

No fault code found.

Address 6C: Back-up Cam. Labels: 4L0-910-441.clb
Part No SW: 8T0 907 441 C HW: 4L0 907 441 B
Component: J772__Rearview 0040
Revision: --H07--- Serial number: 525PA8-J2491L5
Coding: 1000006
VCID: 387505FB4B88C7D8D95

No fault code found.

Address 72: Door, Rear Right (J389) Labels: 8K0-959-794.clb
Part No SW: 8T0 959 795 Q HW: 8T0 959 795 H
Component: TSG HR H07 0304
Coding: 010C13204000210001
VCID: 59B3A07F50C23ED006B

No fault code found.

Address A9: Struct. Borne Sound (J869) Labels: 4H0-907-159.clb
Part No SW: 8K0 907 159 HW: 4H0 907 159 A
Component: SAS-GEN 2 H06 0005
Serial number: 120527201344
ASAM Dataset: EV_SoundActuaGen2AU64X 002005
ROD: EV_SoundActuaGen2AU64X.rod
VCID: F2E177D32574ED88A71

No fault code found.

End ---------------------------------------------------------------------

burrito007
08-29-2012, 08:57 AM
welcome to a new gearbox my friend.

MANNYS4
08-30-2012, 10:21 AM
Transmission replaced after gearbox malfuction at 62k miles under extended warranty

oneiztoomany
08-30-2012, 10:35 AM
maybe manual is the way to go with this car huh?

Vandalrg
08-30-2012, 10:43 AM
IMO yes. The only real advantage DSG gives you is if you get tired of hitting the clutch and are in traffic often. I went DSG so the wife could drive it as well. Manuals are of course significantly more fun too. Oh well.

MailmanOdd
08-30-2012, 10:44 AM
If only I knew how to drive manual...seemed like a bad idea to learn on a $60K car.

Vandalrg
08-30-2012, 10:48 AM
If only I knew how to drive manual...seemed like a bad idea to learn on a $60K car.

In an effort to convince my wife we should get a manual we found a place that would rent us one and I taught her in that. Unfortunately she still hated it. =/ Still though, it's an option I'd look into if I were you! That or find a friend with a truck. Those tend to be easier to learn on too. =)

Deckdout2
08-30-2012, 10:52 AM
Anyone know off the top of their head how much a new DSG Gearbox would cost?

MANNYS4
08-30-2012, 10:55 AM
$12,000

MailmanOdd
08-30-2012, 10:55 AM
Anyone know off the top of their head how much a new DSG Gearbox would cost?
I believe it runs close to $7k

MANNYS4
08-30-2012, 10:57 AM
My total was $12,000

Deckdout2
08-30-2012, 10:57 AM
I'm assuming $7k for parts only, and $12k for parts and installation?

MailmanOdd
08-30-2012, 10:58 AM
I'm assuming $7k for parts only, and $12k for parts and installation?

Ah ok...maybe that's the case.

burrito007
09-01-2012, 05:40 PM
My total was $12,000

12,800 here.

RWD2quattro
09-20-2012, 05:31 PM
Update:
Took my car back to dealer, same issues with S-tronic. I was informed that a new tranny was ordered, car has 13K...
I'm starting to dislike my car, I've had it for 8 months and nothing but problems left/right, wtf!!!

Kay15
09-21-2012, 05:09 AM
Update:
Took my car back to dealer, same issues with S-tronic. I was informed that a new tranny was ordered, car has 13K...
I'm starting to dislike my car, I've had it for 8 months and nothing but problems left/right, wtf!!!

Id get some headers put in if they are dropping the tranny in =)

MailmanOdd
09-21-2012, 05:40 AM
Aww man. Good luck with that I feel your pain. I really hope they can fix the problem. I've noticed since my mechatronics were replaced the low speed shifting was initially a lot better but it has steadily gotten worse. Hopefully I don't have to follow the same route as you.

RWD2quattro
09-21-2012, 11:28 AM
Aww man. Good luck with that I feel your pain. I really hope they can fix the problem. I've noticed since my mechatronics were replaced the low speed shifting was initially a lot better but it has steadily gotten worse. Hopefully I don't have to follow the same route as you.

That's exactly what happened to my car, at first it seemed to cure the issue and then it slowly got worse. I sent letter to Audi, we shall see what happens next, that's all I can say at this moment.
I wish I could install the header but with all the issue this car has had, I'm afraid. I have sitting in my garage Stoptech 380mm BBK, Eurocode sways with end links, KW V3's, Carbonio Intake and I just ordered ADV wheels from Alex @ TAG.

gringoloco2000
09-21-2012, 02:46 PM
My total was $12,000

My buddy's GTI DSG was $13,000. (more than his car is probably worth). I think the internals are made of gold.

burrito007
09-21-2012, 07:37 PM
That's exactly what happened to my car, at first it seemed to cure the issue and then it slowly got worse. I sent letter to Audi, we shall see what happens next, that's all I can say at this moment.
I wish I could install the header but with all the issue this car has had, I'm afraid. I have sitting in my garage Stoptech 380mm BBK, Eurocode sways with end links, KW V3's, Carbonio Intake and I just ordered ADV wheels from Alex @ TAG.

Have fun paying 13k out of pocket if you install any of these mods and get td1

jedirocker
09-23-2012, 12:09 PM
Anyone report their S4 problems to TrueDelta? Supposedly it is more accurate gauge of a car's reliability than Consumer Reports.

RWD2quattro
10-06-2012, 06:20 PM
Update:
Got my car back yesterday with the new tranny, it's smooth like butter [drive]
No jerkiness off the line, down shifts are smooth and I can't even feel when you manually downshift.
Engine tone is all you hear, amazing...

dparm
10-06-2012, 06:28 PM
Update:
Got my car back yesterday with the new tranny, it's smooth like butter [drive]
No jerkiness off the line, down shifts are smooth and I can't even feel when you manually downshift.
Engine tone is all you hear, amazing...

Good to hear.

Part of that is also because it has fresh fluids and because the clutches are not worn.

RWD2quattro
10-06-2012, 06:40 PM
Good to hear.

Part of that is also because it has fresh fluids and because the clutches are not worn.

My previuos S-tronic tranny never felt like this, it was rough, jerky and brute from day one. The mechatronics was replaced at 6K and fluid, it was ok for about 3K and then it got worse. Sometimes the clutch would slip off line and when cruising at light loads (20mph) and under full throttle it was causing my car to bounce off rev limiter with no gear in sight.

I'm just stoked, I'll drive it for a while and update the forum to see if it changes.

Thanks for the support.

Seinsmeld13
10-07-2012, 05:16 AM
I took out a TT RS yesterday and looked at a RS5 that was in the showroom. I was offered $34,000 for my S4 which has the intermittent gearbox malfunction. I think it's time for me to trade in this car. Has anyone had their tranny repaired or replaced after flashing their car back to stock?

update got $36K for my 2010 with 85,000 km and about $3000 in vandalism damage which needed repair. Took a cash out from the insurer for the $3K therefore in the end I got $39K for the trade and only paid tax on the difference of the new car.

Doc Brown
10-07-2012, 07:25 AM
Just got this message on my 2013. Joy. Going out to vagcom it and see what's up. Fortunately it happened a block from home.

Seeing a 2013 with this problem made my heart sink - as I have one on order with the flappy paddle transmission. I was so hoping while reading this thread that it was on earlier models, like the water pump issue.

Oy.

I like manual transmissions, and my wife can drive one, but I ordered the DSG for improved performance and easier use. I hope I am not regretting that decision a few months from now.

As an aside.

The M-DCT in my first (2009) M3 also failed, initially "remedied" with software updates and after the third failure in under six months, BMWUSA and I had the lemon talk. At 23 days out of service, they overnighted a transmission from Germany to replace the one in the car. I wish to also say my dealer (Thompson BMW in Doylestown) was excellent in the process. After getting a new transmission, it was fine for the next 40K miles until I traded it. The replacement transmission was better than the original ever was. The original was jerky and really dumb in auto mode. Nearly undriveable.

My current (2011) M3 has an M-DCT and it has been fine with 22k miles. I attributed much of this problem to new mechanical components and the sometimes reduced reliability in the 2009 M3 which was one of the first with the M-DCT.

My only suggestion, and this will be my approach should, God forbid, my new S4 be problematic, is to be aggressive early with Audi of America. Had I been more aggressive earlier on in the process with my RS4, it is likely they would have brought in someone who could durably repair the primary issue (DRC) and I would not have ended up lemoning that car out. By the time I got AoA involved, the car has been out of service for two of first five months, jerked around by the dealer (now out of business) and I was just fed up. Audi had a traveling service agent (from what I was told) at the time who was going to dealers with specific equipment and skills and was effecting durable repairs on the DRC. I miss that car, still. When it ran, it was awesome.

AoA is still in the contact list on my phone.

Also, a question as I don't have my S4 yet. Does the car have a "walking" mode, like my M3 with the M-DCT? That is, in bumper to bumper traffic rather than feathering the gas and crawling along, which rides the clutch non stop and in the owner's manual said may result in overheat, it has a mode where a quick tap of the gas pedal keeps the car at just over idle, engages the clutch fully and walks along at about 2mph. It requires a bit of thought in traffic, but is doable, and after 70k miles is second nature to me now. Even in bumper to bumper traffic, after leaving the highway where i was driving in a spirited fashion, at `100 degrees outside with the AC on, I never got a message of transmission overheat but I always use the 'walking' mode.

Did the issues described above occur in heavy traffic? Not blaming the driver for the failure, of course, just thinking out loud

Ultbruin
01-03-2013, 04:22 PM
Just got this message yesterday while at a stop light "transmission malfunction: limited driving functionality" & TPMS malfunction at the same time. I pulled over to a gas station, turned off the car, waited a few minutes. Turned the car back on. Transmission malfunction message gone but TPMS stayed. I just resetted the tire pressure in the car menu and it also was gone. Drove the car to the dealer but because the message was gone and it was late I decided to drive it home. My 5k is coming up. Hope this isn't a mechatronics issue.

Comments? Thoughts?

MailmanOdd
01-03-2013, 04:25 PM
Same exact thing that happened to me. Sounds like a mechatronics issue.

motionneon
01-03-2013, 04:28 PM
I'm scerd of my mechatronics going now that I'm flagged

Vandalrg
01-03-2013, 04:39 PM
Just got this message yesterday while at a stop light "transmission malfunction: limited driving functionality" & TPMS malfunction at the same time. I pulled over to a gas station, turned off the car, waited a few minutes. Turned the car back on. Transmission malfunction message gone but TPMS stayed. I just resetted the tire pressure in the car menu and it also was gone. Drove the car to the dealer but because the message was gone and it was late I decided to drive it home. My 5k is coming up. Hope this isn't a mechatronics issue.

Comments? Thoughts?

Had this happen to me at 3k miles on my 8.5. Happened only once and 5k later everything is still fine. Only difference was that I also checked my tire pressure and reset TPMS again. Didn't clear the errors with vagcom and at the 5k service I asked the dealer and they said it had cleared itself and not to worry about it - but they did document it.

Literally the exact same issue though, same lights, same behavior, etc though.

Sorry for crappy formatting, on my phone...

RWD2quattro
01-05-2013, 07:22 PM
Hey Fellas,

My car has 19K now and the new tranny was installed at 13K. The car still runs smooth, no jerky shifts up or down, very smooth BUT...
My car has been back to the dealer four times now with oil leaks, dealer found pan bolts loose the first time.
Secon time they replaced the gasket.
Thrid time, the gasket and pan were replaced.
I just dropped it off again for oil leaks, dealer thinks the new tranny may have a crack, wtf!!!

I'm so over S cronic and I can't wait for my new B8.5 to arrive and its a manual [up]

B8 S FOR
01-06-2013, 08:29 AM
I now have 27,000 miles on my 2011 DSG with no warning lights to date.....fingers crossed. The transmission has always felt jerky from day one. There are times where it will slam into gear or other hard shifts but no warning lights. I took it to my dealer early on and they said all software was up to date and didn't think it was a problem because jerkyness is inherent of the DSG transmission. ??? All these posts scare the shit outta me thinking I would need to pony up $12K out of my 50K warranty! I think these best way is to trade it in on a new one before the 50K warranty is up. It would also be nice to know what is the percentage or number of units failing and in need of replacement? Not everybody that owns an S4 is on this Forum.

RWD2quattro
01-12-2013, 08:39 PM
Update: new tranny on the way, 2nd S tronic failure. Is Audi QA/QC slacking???
If Audi discontinues manuals for future S or RS models, this will be my first/last Audi...

My B8.5 will be here around mid-April [up]

Seinsmeld13
01-13-2013, 11:48 AM
I'm scerd of my mechatronics going now that I'm flagged
I was so scared that I traded mine in as I didn't want to pay to repair it myself. No flash planned for my 13 given the ongoing issues with failure of the trannys. Mine is warranted to 120,000 km. I'll sell it before that day comes.

Leor604
01-13-2013, 12:06 PM
Update: new tranny on the way, 2nd S tronic failure. Is Audi QA/QC slacking???
If Audi discontinues manuals for future S or RS models, this will be my first/last Audi...

My B8.5 will be here around mid-April [up]

Sadly, I think it's just a matter of time. Hopefully, MT available for one more generation or I may be driving my B8 for a loooooong time.

I would think that Audi should be happy every time someone picks an MT as they are certainly not costing Audi as much in warranty claims.

MadZane
01-14-2013, 10:03 AM
This thread is such a downer. Picked up my '13 DSG last week and LOVE it. I hate this feeling like I need to keep my fingers crossed all the time.

well_armed
01-14-2013, 10:26 AM
Transmission is not made by Audi.

Its the same transmission put in a lot of other cars, so something is up with the vendor...

AdamNoone
01-14-2013, 10:36 AM
My 2010 S4 with 46k just went in this am for the DSG failure. Thankfully, I'm not yet tuned. My Audi Service Adviser said I am the first B8 they have had with the DSG malfunction. Hopefully this is a quick and painless process.

alarum_78
01-14-2013, 10:58 AM
Maybe we could start a sticky/poll for DSG issues? Its really hard to tell the percentage of failures and if some of us are losing sleep over nothing?

polov005
01-14-2013, 03:44 PM
hmm, hopefully that's a computer glitch and not a genuine transmission issue

Pedro1956
02-24-2013, 05:31 PM
Love the finish, handling and looks of my 2010 Audi B8 S4.

However, it seems that the more you spend on a car the more time it spends on a tow truck.

1. Water pump failed after only 12 months fixed under warranty.
2. Thermostat failed exactly 12 months to the day after the water pump failure
3. DSG Gearbox Malfunction requiring the mechatronics to be replaced only 3 months out of warranty and 70000 klms. $8000 repair bill with no sympathy from Audi.

This will be the last Audi we ever buy. Can not recommend Audi for reliability. [mad]

s4buckeye
02-24-2013, 06:35 PM
DSG Gearbox Malfunction requiring the mechatronics to be replaced only 3 months out of warranty and 70000 klms. $8000 repair bill with no sympathy from Audi.

Sorry to hear than man. That REALLY sucks.

2010drive
02-24-2013, 07:10 PM

However, it seems that the more you spend on a car the more time it spends on a tow truck.

3. DSG Gearbox Malfunction requiring the mechatronics to be replaced only 3 months out of warranty and 70000 klms. $8000 repair bill with no sympathy from Audi.

This will be the last Audi we ever buy. Can not recommend Audi for reliability. [mad]

That's why I will never own an expensive car out of warranty.

tins5
02-24-2013, 07:58 PM
This is really getting me worried now. Will Audi ever do anything about your mechatronics if there are no alerts on the dash? I only have about 10k miles left on my warranty. Although i haven't gotten any alerts yet, i feel like i have experienced some symptoms that others are saying.

The symptoms are:
-Hard, jerky shifts when manually shifting 1 -->2 under 3k rpm
-Occasional laggy 1-->2 shifts in S mode when flooring it.
-Occasional revving (as if i'm in neutral) in manual mode when slowing down abruptly in 4th gear and then getting back on the accelerator again

Deschodt
04-01-2013, 10:22 AM
Will Audi ever do anything about your mechatronics if there are no alerts on the dash?

The symptoms are:
-Hard, jerky shifts when manually shifting 1 -->2 under 3k rpm
-Occasional laggy 1-->2 shifts in S mode when flooring it.
-Occasional revving (as if i'm in neutral) in manual mode when slowing down abruptly in 4th gear and then getting back on the accelerator again

Hmm...Similar worries here, different symptoms... . 2010 with 30K miles, CPO thankfully.
Mine did the laggy jerky shifts in S mode that you describe, and seemed to "jump" and make a "clonk" noise when shifting from Park to Drive (and back to Park and S, to verify what the hell happened, yup still clonking). It did this when parked at my kid's school, then shifted harder than usual on my way home. I attributed it to me not being used to sports mode, but nope. Once home it clonked some more moving back to park. I almost booked a service appointment on the spot, but no warning lights, so..... Odd.. Restarting it 20m later, all was well, and has been ever since... ?!?!? That was a hot day and I had been playing with the paddles a little bit, but nothing crazy. Now I'm waiting for it to happen again or for the dash to light up so I can exercise that CPO warranty on -presumably- the mechatronics, but so far nothing...

I'm almost disappointed I didn't get a code, ironically, I don't like occasional malfunctions - with my luck it'll finally die when the CPO expires...
Kinda annoyed I could not find a local 6MT, but I hear those shift funny too (like a CDV issue). We shall see...

Kay15
04-02-2013, 04:27 AM
I have had my mechatronics unit replaced already I still get that revv'ing as if the car is in Neutral. I dont know what it is but I have had the Mechatronics unit replaced, the rear drive shafts replaced, I will see what happens. I have had the DSG re flashed a bunch of times to re learn what is going on. Nothing. Hoping a DSG tune can fix it slightly.

drob23
04-02-2013, 05:09 AM
Probably wayyy to early to ask this, but anyone with a 2013 having DSG issues? I do know that they changed some parameters on the shifting logic in the b8.5, and many users reported smoother shifting. But reading all this really makes me wish I went 6MT, guess I'll have to pony up for the extended warranty...not sure how this affects going with a Stasis stg 1 tune.

VMPhil
04-23-2013, 02:13 PM
Hmm...Similar worries here, different symptoms... . 2010 with 30K miles, CPO thankfully.
Mine did the laggy jerky shifts in S mode that you describe, and seemed to "jump" and make a "clonk" noise when shifting from Park to Drive (and back to Park and S, to verify what the hell happened, yup still clonking). It did this when parked at my kid's school, then shifted harder than usual on my way home. I attributed it to me not being used to sports mode, but nope. Once home it clonked some more moving back to park. I almost booked a service appointment on the spot, but no warning lights, so..... Odd.. Restarting it 20m later, all was well, and has been ever since... ?!?!? That was a hot day and I had been playing with the paddles a little bit, but nothing crazy. Now I'm waiting for it to happen again or for the dash to light up so I can exercise that CPO warranty on -presumably- the mechatronics, but so far nothing...

I'm almost disappointed I didn't get a code, ironically, I don't like occasional malfunctions - with my luck it'll finally die when the CPO expires...
Kinda annoyed I could not find a local 6MT, but I hear those shift funny too (like a CDV issue). We shall see...

I have had Similar issues in my 2010 S4. No warning lights. Hard thunk when slowing into first gear and hard clonk when shifting to park. It usually happened when stuck in stop and go traffic. Sounds like transmission overheating. Audi service yielded a reflash. It worked great until just recently when the problem reared its ugly head again although it was minor this time. I dont like this. I would rather have a hard failure and get it fixed. no CPO however my car history had the pump and thermostat recall so I should be covered under the extended 6 year 100k mile warranty.

Probably wayyy to early to ask this, but anyone with a 2013 having DSG issues? I do know that they changed some parameters on the shifting logic in the b8.5, and many users reported smoother shifting. But reading all this really makes me wish I went 6MT, guess I'll have to pony up for the extended warranty...not sure how this affects going with a Stasis stg 1 tune.

If you jump back a page or 2, yes there have been a couple of 2013s that have had this issue.

VMPhil
04-24-2013, 07:47 AM
after doing some research and thinking back on my own experiences, I believe that the OEM DSG cooling unit is the issue. The reflash is just a band-aid. Replacing the mechatronics unit is what results after multiple over heating sessions.

It goes like this - Transmission overheats, Transmission computer starts messing up the shift algorithms. Eventually Transmission mis-shifts begin to damage mechatronics unit. It is a sound theory anyway.

OmahaB8
04-24-2013, 08:29 AM
Does the TSB reflash help with the 1-2 shift issue where it holds the shift way too long and cuts power? If it doesn't fix that then it's not worth it for me to get my GIAC tune removed, go to the dealer for the TSB then have the tune flashed back in.

VMPhil
04-25-2013, 08:48 AM
It does. It only does this when run hot. however the problem returned after bumper to bumper traffic. It only happened once tho. after that it was fine.

OmahaB8
04-25-2013, 08:50 AM
It does. It only does this when run hot. however the problem returned after bumper to bumper traffic. It only happened once tho. after that it was fine.

What do you consider hot? Operating temperature or flogging the car repeatedly? I never redline the car until it's reached 200F+ any how.

VMPhil
04-25-2013, 08:53 AM
What do you consider hot? Operating temperature or flogging the car repeatedly? I never redline the car until it's reached 200F+ any how.

Operating temperature. During stop and go running around the neighborhood on a hot day (never going more than 30mph) was when the problem first appeared for me.

wwhan
04-25-2013, 09:21 AM
It seems to act more oddly, more often, in dynamic mode (ADS-light), than the Auto mode. In Auto (compared to Dynamic) it rarely sems to do anything funny.

Drew855
05-29-2013, 03:37 PM
I just got the malfunction notification after owning my car for 3 weeks and just over 1,000 miles...but I bought used. Car is a CPO 2011 S4 with 32,000 miles. Brought it into the dealer and they said they will call me tomorrow with a diagnoses. Sounds like it might be the mechatronics. Really won't be happy if my car has to stay in the dealer for weeks while they order parts.

FBO 335i
05-29-2013, 03:46 PM
I just got the malfunction notification after owning my car for 3 weeks and just over 1,000 miles...but I bought used. Car is a CPO 2011 S4 with 32,000 miles. Brought it into the dealer and they said they will call me tomorrow with a diagnoses. Sounds like it might be the mechatronics. Really won't be happy if my car has to stay in the dealer for weeks while they order parts.

damn...after 3 weeks of ownership..that's horrible! good thing your car is cpo'ed. good luck and keep us posted on the issue.

Doc Brown
05-29-2013, 04:07 PM
Speaking (Writing) off the cuff, and not trying to blame the owners for the issue, stop and go traffic is very hard on a dual clutch transmission. Essentially, it is slipping the clutch near continuously to crawl along. Add 90 degree ambient temperature, hot exhaust from the car in front of you and the AC nice and cool and there is a lot of heat around the drivetrain.

My prior M-DCT M3s had a "walking" option where a quick tap of the gas pedal would engage the clutch fully and walk the car at about 2.5 mph. Thereby not riding the clutch. It was a feature designed specifically to avoid this issue. I think this is further complicated in the Audi with the S-tronic as this transmission is calibrated to feel more like a conventional torque convertor auto. In most situations, one would be hard pressed to distinguish the S-tronic from Tiptronic driving around town. Okay, maybe on hills where it engages from a stop somewhat abruptly. The M-DCT made no attempt to be smooth like a conventional auto. There was no doubt in most any situations that this was a different kind of transmission.

that said, Audi should have designed the transmission to tolerate normal driving conditions in the real world. Or added a "walking" mode, like BMW, to address just this issue.

Whether or not it will make any difference in the long run, I think about the S-tronic when in traffic. If at a light, I will pop it in neutral to take the load off the throw-out bearing. I don't creep along in bumper to bumper. I move in increments - much as I would in a traditional manual. Maybe pissing off those around me as I am not continuously up the ass of the guy in front of me, but less pissed off than they would be if my car shit the bed right there in front of them in traffic and blocked a travel lane.

Only at 7500 miles on my 2013 S4, living in metro PGH, occasionally commuting downtown, and so far no issues.

theKB
05-29-2013, 04:12 PM

parts are typically 10 days out as they have to come from germany. They are vin specific.

Even after my second replacement the car is acting kind of wonky. Really just counting down the days until this thing is gone at this point.

drob23
05-29-2013, 07:06 PM
Speaking (Writing) off the cuff, and not trying to blame the owners for the issue, stop and go traffic is very hard on a dual clutch transmission. Essentially, it is slipping the clutch near continuously to crawl along. Add 90 degree ambient temperature, hot exhaust from the car in front of you and the AC nice and cool and there is a lot of heat around the drivetrain.

My prior M-DCT M3s had a "walking" option where a quick tap of the gas pedal would engage the clutch fully and walk the car at about 2.5 mph. Thereby not riding the clutch. It was a feature designed specifically to avoid this issue. I think this is further complicated in the Audi with the S-tronic as this transmission is calibrated to feel more like a conventional torque convertor auto. In most situations, one would be hard pressed to distinguish the S-tronic from Tiptronic driving around town. Okay, maybe on hills where it engages from a stop somewhat abruptly. The M-DCT made no attempt to be smooth like a conventional auto. There was no doubt in most any situations that this was a different kind of transmission.

that said, Audi should have designed the transmission to tolerate normal driving conditions in the real world. Or added a "walking" mode, like BMW, to address just this issue.

Whether or not it will make any difference in the long run, I think about the S-tronic when in traffic. If at a light, I will pop it in neutral to take the load off the throw-out bearing. I don't creep along in bumper to bumper. I move in increments - much as I would in a traditional manual. Maybe pissing off those around me as I am not continuously up the ass of the guy in front of me, but less pissed off than they would be if my car shit the bed right there in front of them in traffic and blocked a travel lane.

Only at 7500 miles on my 2013 S4, living in metro PGH, occasionally commuting downtown, and so far no issues.

Interesting theories, I have also been surprised how well the s-tronic feels while creeping. Do you think this causes additional wear on the clutch packs or stress on the mechatronic unit? I would imagine impulsive forces during hard driving would be worse for wear and tear but that's a total guess. My understanding is the Getrag M-DCT is dry vs the wet DCT's of the VW AG family (PDK, Stronic, golf DCT), so maybe that changes how clutch play works at low speed? I know Ford has had a lot of problems with their powershift Getrag 6-DCT with dry clutch's, which presumably uses lesser quality light weight components.

Drew855
05-30-2013, 12:09 PM
I just got a call back from the dealer saying it was the transmissions control module. They said it is apparently a known issue. I asked there was anything mentioned about the mechatronics and he said no. He even went to talk to the tech while I was on the phone who said the mechatronics was fine. Does this sound legit? I don't think I read anything about transmission control modules in this thread.

theKB
05-30-2013, 12:23 PM
I just got a call back from the dealer saying it was the transmissions control module. They said it is apparently a known issue. I asked there was anything mentioned about the mechatronics and he said no. He even went to talk to the tech while I was on the phone who said the mechatronics was fine. Does this sound legit? I don't think I read anything about transmission control modules in this thread.

I thought the TCU is the Mechatronics unit??!!

Drew855
05-30-2013, 12:25 PM
I was under the same assumption...I am going back to the dealer tomorrow to trade my loaner for a different one and will discuss with the technician. They said the part should arrive tuesday of next week and the car should be ready thursday. We will see about that.

drob23
05-30-2013, 12:36 PM
I thought the TCU is the Mechatronics unit??!!

I'd guess the TCU is just an electronics unit while the mechatronic unit comprises the hydraulic actuators that engage/disengage the clutchpacks and mechanically select the gears (what you do with the shifter).

theKB
05-30-2013, 02:01 PM
I'd guess the TCU is just an electronics unit while the mechatronic unit comprises the hydraulic actuators that engage/disengage the clutchpacks and mechanically select the gears (what you do with the shifter).

that again doesn't make sense. If you were to get a bench flash TCU upgrade you physically take out the mechatronics and send it to whoever is flashing the software because those actuators are together with the circuit board etc. The Mechatronics is the brain of the transmission.

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS3hTBUajC3mdmhlbYev5aPitdEBsdPk 7lWqn1FjL-IIe-sYM-o1w

riegeraudi
05-30-2013, 02:26 PM

While the first two was obviously due to some production problems the last one being DSG really is unacceptable. The DSG transmission being a major component should not fail so early in a cars life especially at that cost. I definitely won't be going with any cars with DSG on my next purchase as it looks like Audi can't make it reliable in the long term and are not backing the product. I know when BMW had the HPFP problems they gave the owners a 10year warranty. This is what Audi should do with the DSG with all the failures. This is definitely one area where Audi needs to step up to the plate and back the cars since obviously some of the parts are not well designed.

riegeraudi
05-30-2013, 02:30 PM
I was stuck in a traffic jam for about 1.5hours and the DSG transmission was definitely not happy. It started to get loud. Once I put it into neutral it quiet down.

Drew855
05-31-2013, 07:32 AM
I spoke to the dealer today and they told me the "transmission control unit" is in fact the mechatronics. They said it should arrive by next week, but based on some responses in this thread I doubt that to be true. Pretty annoying since I have only had my car a week. Oh well, on the bright side, I'll be racking up miles on their car and not mine.

drob23
05-31-2013, 07:59 AM
that again doesn't make sense. If you were to get a bench flash TCU upgrade you physically take out the mechatronics and send it to whoever is flashing the software because those actuators are together with the circuit board etc. The Mechatronics is the brain of the transmission.

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS3hTBUajC3mdmhlbYev5aPitdEBsdPk 7lWqn1FjL-IIe-sYM-o1w

When I think of the word "mechatronics" I think of robotic's inspired composition of electronic control units with actuators of whatever sort. I presume the actuators in the DCT would be big and buried within the transmission housing. If you are going to bench flash the TCU, I don't understand why you would take out hydraulic actuators. Check out details of the M-DCT by Getrag here (http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CDAQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.m3post.com%2Fforums%2Fattachm ent.php%3Fattachmentid%3D587904%26d%3D1317583307&ei=krmoUeY9qeTKAb2GgIAM&usg=AFQjCNGU6ICQDs3kIOin2erL1uMNwn4Y7w&sig2=CvS2Z20e2Pkh5AX4NQnbLg&bvm=bv.47244034,d.aWc) (page 30).

But it seems like we are just debating semantics.

wwhan
05-31-2013, 08:51 AM
I think the DSG controller is near the sensors & actuators. http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/356141-Details-about-the-Seven-speed-dual-clutch-gearbox-0B5-S-tronic-%28DL501%29

"The mechatronic system acts as the central gearbox control unit. It combines the electro-hydraulic control unit (actuators), the electronic control unit and some of the sensors into a single unit. On account of the longitudinal configuration, the rpm sensors of both gearbox input shafts and the gear sensor are located on a separate mounting bracket.

The mechatronic system controls, regulates and performs the following functions:

– Adaptation of oil pressure in the hydraulic system to requirements
– Dual clutch regulation
– Clutch cooling regulation
– Shift point selection
– Gearbox control and regulation
– Communication with other control units
– Limp-home programs
– Self-diagnostics"

http://jonchin.smugmug.com/Audi-Club-Singapore-Official/LUK-CVT-Technolo/DL-501-Picture-7/737608605_fNFk5-L.jpg

drob23
05-31-2013, 09:43 AM
Cool, thanks for the link. Whenever I think I have any specific knowledge of the DSG (or any subsystem for that matter) I'll remember to look at this and remind myself that I have no f*cking clue how complex this is [rolleyes].

theKB
05-31-2013, 10:08 AM
I spoke to the dealer today and they told me the "transmission control unit" is in fact the mechatronics. They said it should arrive by next week, but based on some responses in this thread I doubt that to be true. Pretty annoying since I have only had my car a week. Oh well, on the bright side, I'll be racking up miles on their car and not mine.

tuned/stock and what year? (and if tuned what software)

Drew855
05-31-2013, 11:00 AM
2011...bone stock

Drew855
06-05-2013, 09:24 AM
Just got a call from the dealer saying my car won't be ready until next week now. They said it is more work than they thought and that they have to pull the entire transmission to replace the mechatronics. Is this true?

theKB
06-05-2013, 09:45 AM
Just got a call from the dealer saying my car won't be ready until next week now. They said it is more work than they thought and that they have to pull the entire transmission to replace the mechatronics. Is this true?

yeah it's a big job to replace the mechatronics unit on these cars although it surprises me that the dealership didn't realize the scope of this job. I think it also takes a while to reflash the car etc as well plus re-adaptation etc.

MailmanOdd
06-05-2013, 02:31 PM
Mine took a couple weeks to replace when my mechatronics failed @15K miles.

soundsubs
07-09-2013, 12:53 PM
looks like I got hit by this too with 2010 S4 @52k miles and APR tune.
My SA said Audi will not cover it because Audi home office claims its "had an ECU flash" based on the VIN.
Its going to be an out-of-warranty replacement of the transmission gearbox and $11,000. Hoping to knock some of this off with the dealer.

theKB
07-09-2013, 01:07 PM
My SA said Audi will not cover it because Audi home office claims its "had an ECU flash" based on the VIN.
Its going to be an out-of-warranty replacement of the transmission gearbox and $11,000. Hoping to knock some of this off with the dealer.

Isn't that lovely that your transmission bites the dust 2k miles out of warranty and again hiding behind the tune is simply insane but that's Audi. I am not so sure about it needing a full transmission replacement, and may just be a mechatronics but geez, I would have a hard time stomaching 11 grand because of poor design on audi's/VAG/zF's behalf.

Keep us up to date on this.

Also would love to see a poll posted up with potentially a breakdown by model year and which tuner if not stock.

tins5
07-09-2013, 01:26 PM
What were the symptoms of it failing? If they were documented with the dealer prior to it going, maybe they'll help you out. Who knows.

theKB
07-09-2013, 03:08 PM
What were the symptoms of it failing? If they were documented with the dealer prior to it going, maybe they'll help you out. Who knows.

I personally have never had any symptoms before a warning on the dashboard (gearbox malfunction limited functionality) then it goes into i'm going to murder you mode and slips the clutch/neutral at anything over 2k rpm where it takes ten years to go into the next year. VERY DANGEROUS especially if you are in traffic.

Drew855
07-09-2013, 04:17 PM

So would they have covered this even though you were out of warranty if you did not have a tune? If so, that is complete BS that they would deny this based on a tune given the fact that this is a documented, known issue with the DSG transmission. There is even a TSB that all dealers have for this issue due the number of occurrences.

theKB
07-11-2013, 12:20 AM
So would they have covered this even though you were out of warranty if you did not have a tune? If so, that is complete BS that they would deny this based on a tune given the fact that this is a documented, known issue with the DSG transmission. There is even a TSB that all dealers have for this issue due the number of occurrences.

that's audi, expect nothing less.

iant
07-20-2013, 02:07 AM

[QUOTE=riegeraudi;8780130]I was stuck in a traffic jam for about 1.5hours and the DSG transmission was definitely not happy. It started to get loud. Once I put it into neutral it quiet down.

This was the exact circumstances that I experienced today. We are having unusually warm weather here the past 2 weeks (for us in the UK) 32C/90F. I was stuck for 1.5 hours in stop start traffic jam.

I’ve never experienced both conditions, occurring simultaneously, until now since I’ve owned this car

I kept putting her into ‘N’ when stopped because I worry about them pesky clutches and put the e-brake on. Traffic starts to move a little so put her into drive and even with (obviously) my foot on the brake big clunk, felt as if the car had been slightly rear ended. Go to pull off, thereby releasing the e-brake, big clunk forward as I touched the throttle (again as if the car had been slightly rear ended).

Didn’t happen all the time just intermittently, so I started to experiment a little and it occurred in all modes both in ‘M’ or ‘D’. One of my mates was travelling with me and he commented on the jerky nature once or twice. Quite embarrassing really.

So I wonder is this actually quite normal for the DSG at elevated temperatures in prolonged stop start traffic jams after all other cars I’ve owned both manual and auto have done funny things, transmission wise, under similar conditions?

ddaudi
07-21-2013, 09:42 AM
I've just noticed this thread. My 2011 stock S4's DSG transmission was replaced about 6 months ago, at about 22k miles. I got the dash indication something like "transmission fault, OK to drive" while tracking one day. VAGCOM showed a fault indicating a sensor for the gear shift lever. Other than the indicator, it was working OK and I finished the track day. For the next few weeks on street, the same dash warning would occasionally come up. I did not have time to take it into the dealer and had another track day. During one of the sessions it simply went dead, no power, no throttle response, no response to shift lever. I drove off course, stopped, could not get started again, waited for a tow. When the tow truck came I found it would start and drive OK. Drove it straight to a dealer who confirmed gear lever sensor needed, but of course they could not fix right then. Drove 100 miles home and took it to my local dealer. They called a few days later saying it needed a transmission replacement and it would come from Germany. Then they found on in Canada and it was fixed a few days later. So far no more major problems. A minor problem is that in slow traffic, when slowed to 10-15 MPH and in 3rd gear, and traffic speed picks up again, applying throttle causes a rough shift into 2nd; almost like it does not release the clutch soon enough and the RPM has gone too high for a smooth shift. Car now has about 30k miles.

Leor604
07-21-2013, 10:14 AM
I hate the trend of non-repairable components. A faulty sensor requires a complete transmission replacement???

ihkskim
07-21-2013, 09:35 PM
mine just failed at 55k miles after replacing mechatronics once already.. 5k mile after warranty. I was quoted $14,388 to replace =(.. dealer said its NOT tune related.. i dunno what to do

tins5
07-22-2013, 10:52 AM
mine just failed at 55k miles after replacing mechatronics once already.. 5k mile after warranty. I was quoted $14,388 to replace =(.. dealer said its NOT tune related.. i dunno what to do

...Wow. Keep us posted on what happens. This problem seems to occur with many S4 owners, that you would think they would come up with a solution already!

Crossing my fingers... I'm at 46k miles in my 2011

Biggriff
07-25-2013, 05:56 AM
Well my 2010 DSG is now playing up after 29k miles. When the box changes down into 5th it hit neutral and i get no gear (comes back into play if I drop to 4th manually). Sounds like the Mechatronic unit so its off to be replaced at Audi in the UK.

I'm amazed VAG dont really admit there is a problem as the rest of the automotive industry seems to clearly think there is.

toaster
07-25-2013, 06:55 AM
there is a staggering number of these failures.

audi absolutely must come out with an extended warranty or even recall on the mechatronics unit.

this is truly deplorable stuff...

soundsubs
07-25-2013, 07:58 AM
Forgot to report back: my Audi dealer used "good faith money" to pay for 75% of my total cost, but I was still out $3700 (wheel bearing too)
Also, they had to ship a whole new tranny from Germany, so that took some time.
They acted like they hadn't seen any issues with the DSG box (and I couldn't cite the numbers off the top of my head).
It is important to note that I hadn't seen any issues- except for the slow to bump issue I asked about earlier.

On the positive, they did the 60k for free and I got a loaner Q5 for 8 days.

tins5
07-25-2013, 08:55 AM
Has anyone considered an extended power train warranty for this reason? I just got a quote of 2800 from a dealer.. They are checking on my coverage since I'm tuned by stasis. Seems like it would be worth it given the price of a new transmission.

Does anyone have any experience?

Riu
07-25-2013, 11:27 AM
This is one of my big worries. I am at 36,500 miles on my 2011 and I am going to expire this warranty way before the 4 years with the driving I am doing now. I think some sort of extended warranty is going to be a must have.

No issues yet though.

tins5
07-25-2013, 11:30 AM
Does anyone know of a reputable aftermarket warranty company who will honor it despite ECU upgrades?

Thomas@TAI-VW
07-25-2013, 12:19 PM
Here you go,this is one reason I have NO faith in ANY VAG auto transmissions other than the "normal" ZF tiptronic which has been stellar in service. I purposely bought a S4 manual because of these reasons. Something similar to THIS will have to happen to get any possible relief from Audi;

Another awesome Audi automatic the CVT or "front track"

www.CVTsettlement.com

Kay15
07-25-2013, 03:41 PM
Here you go,this is one reason I have NO faith in ANY VAG auto transmissions other than the "normal" ZF tiptronic which has been stellar in service. I purposely bought a S4 manual because of these reasons. Something similar to THIS will have to happen to get any possible relief from Audi;

Another awesome Audi automatic the CVT or "front track"

www.CVTsettlement.com

Similar action should be taken for DSG users in the B8 S4 community. (Tuned and Non Tuned Versions alike) We are seeing many clean cars with no modifications see this problem once, twice over. We here in Norway are also seeing a large number of these cars. A lot of you are posting out of North America are having a really hard time getting the dealers to own up to the known concern.

bayonet14
08-07-2013, 07:14 AM
Just traded my B8 S4 Prestige w/APR Stage II - had multiple gear box warning from mileage between 54k and 56k miles (post APR tune). At the 55k service had to replace 2 cracked engine mounts and wonder if around the same time if that's what started the problems w/the DSG trans. In short - I just traded my 2010 for a 2013 lease S4 - the dealer will sell my old S4 as a Stage II car.

Riu
08-07-2013, 07:16 AM
Just traded my B8 S4 Prestige w/APR Stage II - had multiple gear box warning from mileage between 54k and 56k miles (post APR tune). At the 55k service had to replace 2 cracked engine mounts and wonder if around the same time if that's what started the problems w/the DSG trans. In short - I just traded my 2010 for a 2013 lease S4 - the dealer will sell my old S4 as a Stage II car.

Sucks for the guy who buys it. I would hate to buy a car unknowing of the issues it had a few miles back.

Dont blame you for getting out of it.

bayonet14
08-07-2013, 07:27 AM
Sucks for the guy who buys it. I would hate to buy a car unknowing of the issues it had a few miles back.

Dont blame you for getting out of it. Its was odd - I would go a week or month w/no gear box warning - then have 6 or 8 warnings in a day then nothing after a short stop and resumed my commute. So I also wonder if it may be electrical - short - weather induced (my car is always garaged).

I loved the tune - and will do it again once my lease is up. And yes, I feel for the next owner - I took care of all the other things / replaced engine mounts / 55k service / new tires....but got it all back in equity for my lease.

But again - the APR tune I will do again - just not sure if I want to install the pulley 'again' on my own...its a PITA. I may take the plunge to get my own VAGCOM and start my mods there - 2nd purchase will be a new grill.

Detox
08-07-2013, 07:45 AM
The other day when pulling out in traffic I floored car to make it and it did not shift out of first. Car was in drive, pulled over to check everything. No warnings/errors, pulled back out and started to shift normally.
I just bought this car two weeks ago, 2011 S4, and during the PPI they noticed that transmission gasket was leaking. I had the previous owner take it to the dealer to replace the gasket under warranty and noticed a bolt was backed out of the Mechatronic unit. Since there was no torque specs on the bolt audi replaced the entire Mechatronic unit with a new one. Hasn't happened since.

New to the forum, so saying hello as well.

NyRevenge
08-07-2013, 08:13 AM
The other day when pulling out in traffic I floored car to make it and it did not shift out of first. Car was in drive, pulled over to check everything. No warnings/errors, pulled back out and started to shift normally.
I just bought this car two weeks ago, 2011 S4, and during the PPI they noticed that transmission gasket was leaking. I had the previous owner take it to the dealer to replace the gasket under warranty and noticed a bolt was backed out of the Mechatronic unit. Since there was no torque specs on the bolt audi replaced the entire Mechatronic unit with a new one. Hasn't happened since.

New to the forum, so saying hello as well.

Welcome to the forum!

I think that has happened to me three times out of the 15k on my car. Never consecutive. Always when I'm trying to floor it. It feels like the car doesn't shift in time or something. Idk how to explain it but how u described it seems about right. Did it happen to u consecutively or just once?

Detox
08-07-2013, 09:06 AM
Just once, and it didn't shift at all. It was stuck in first and I believe it was bouncing off the rev limiter

drob23
08-07-2013, 10:38 AM
Hmm, I stopped at a gas station after driving home from work yesterday and accelerated pretty hard out of the parking lot on my way out, sliding the back tires for a mini-drift. I was in manual mode pulling 2nd and 3rd to pretty much 5k and once in 4th found myself stuck. Couldn't switch out of 4. Switched back into D mode and it proceeded to function as normal. Could be that I was attempting to downshift and the computer was rejecting that input, but I'm pretty sure I tried to go into 5th.

In any case, I'll do a quick scan and keep a close eye. I DD the car and don't push it hard too often, maybe rev it out to 5k once every other day or so.

theKB
08-08-2013, 09:17 AM
more and more and more creeping up.

A stickied survey of some sort would be handy to see where the failures lay. Tuned or not and by what tuner as well as model year.

I am honestly very apprehensive to reflash the car with the APR software after I fought with audi for two months and if it were to fail since it has been in stock/oem calibration the entire time since the replacement, will I have to fight again or will they admit it is a faulty part?

Stock and tuned cars getting sacked with 6-14000 dollar repairs on a brand new car is just wrong and the more this is creeping up, the more it shows that there is a problem with the design/manufacturing or whatever with these transmissions/mechatronics units.

And the other question is at what point is audi going to admit something since i'm sure they don't want the bad press that the FWD dsg earned (as alarmist as it was).

afig367
08-08-2013, 09:29 AM
Could be that I was attempting to downshift and the computer was rejecting that input, but I'm pretty sure I tried to go into 5th.

Possibly, yes. The DSG seems to have more guardrails on it than some other transmissions. Our cars will automatically shift at the redline, even in Manual mode. That's not the case with, say, the C63, whose automatic will let you go straight past and roast the engine in manual.

SwankPeRFection
08-08-2013, 09:35 AM
Based on the design changes Audi made to the new mech units, it's believed that high temps causing circuit board issues were the cause of the failures. The fluid temps would get so high that the conductive material that the TCU was housed in would get so hot that the brains inside would be outside its operating range. When that happens, the signals sent to the mech unit would be all wacked out and you'd get missed shifts, hard shifts, whatever. The new mech units seem to be plastic housed units with additional shielding to help prevent this problem. Along with that, it is believed that Audi changed some of the coding in the calibration to help lower temps further by controlling the clutch packs and torque transfer better. Of course, it is still too early to tell if the new design changes will help. The one thing that gets me is... you'd of thought Audi would have learned it's lesson with putting the TCU brains inside the tranny and basting it in the fluid used to lubricate the gears... i.e. the CVT issues they had in the past. When will these people learn? Put that damn TCU on the outside of the unit and heatsink it like a mofo. Not to mention an external location design like this would make for a quicker and cheaper change should it fail. But nooooo, they had to integrate it into the mech unit and throw it into the hot soup inside. :rolleyes:

rs4dreams
08-08-2013, 10:21 AM
Based on the design changes Audi made to the new mech units, it's believed that high temps causing circuit board issues were the cause of the failures. The fluid temps would get so high that the conductive material that the TCU was housed in would get so hot that the brains inside would be outside its operating range. When that happens, the signals sent to the mech unit would be all wacked out and you'd get missed shifts, hard shifts, whatever. The new mech units seem to be plastic housed units with additional shielding to help prevent this problem. Along with that, it is believed that Audi changed some of the coding in the calibration to help lower temps further by controlling the clutch packs and torque transfer better. Of course, it is still too early to tell if the new design changes will help. The one thing that gets me is... you'd of thought Audi would have learned it's lesson with putting the TCU brains inside the tranny and basting it in the fluid used to lubricate the gears... i.e. the CVT issues they had in the past. When will these people learn? Put that damn TCU on the outside of the unit and heatsink it like a mofo. Not to mention an external location design like this would make for a quicker and cheaper change should it fail. But nooooo, they had to integrate it into the mech unit and throw it into the hot soup inside. :rolleyes:

Do you know if they B8.5s got the redesigned Mech unit?

drob23
08-08-2013, 10:29 AM
Do you know if they B8.5s got the redesigned Mech unit?

I'm assuming he's talking about the B8.5 DSG. From everything I've read, it's pretty much a completely different unit in terms of gearing and mechatronics.

OmahaB8
08-08-2013, 10:29 AM

When is someone going to replace a trans cooler for our cars then? We'll mount it behind the passenger side fog light housing and cut out the vent to match the driver side.

I could be a thousandaire with ideas like this...[drive]

SwankPeRFection
08-08-2013, 10:46 AM
When is someone going to replace a trans cooler for our cars then? We'll mount it behind the passenger side fog light housing and cut out the vent to match the driver side.

I could be a thousandaire with ideas like this...[drive]

Yeah, right? They have one on the drivers side for what again... the steering? [o_o] but they didn't put one in for the tranny? [rolleyes] Ya, that makes sense.

well_armed
08-08-2013, 10:51 AM

Audi doesn't make the transmission, that is why.

theKB
08-08-2013, 02:34 PM
Was just poking around TSB's

This came for 2011's near the end of May.

2011 Audi S4 Electrical System Service Bulletin 355499

NHTSA: Action Number: 10052294 Service Bulletin Number: 355499

Report Date:
May 07, 2013
Component:
Electrical System

Summary: Audi: gearbox malfunction message in cluster. Plastic circuit plates can delaminate due to oil additives. *js

wwhan
08-08-2013, 06:31 PM
Was just poking around TSB's

This came for 2011's near the end of May.

RUH ROH .... NHTSA: 10052294... hmmmmm ....may be just one of the many layers DL501 issues.

It is possible that Continental builds the electronics for the mechatronics, since they build the S4 ECU (the group that formerly were part of Siemens)..

http://www.continental-corporation.com/www/pressportal_com_en/themes/press_releases/3_automotive_group/powertrain/press_releases/pr_2010_06_16_getriebesteuerungen_en.html

drob23
08-08-2013, 07:35 PM
RUH ROH .... NHTSA: 10052294... hmmmmm ....may be just one of the many layers DL501 issues.

It is possible that Continental builds the electronics for the mechatronics, since they build the S4 ECU (the group that formerly were part of Siemens)..

http://www.continental-corporation.com/www/pressportal_com_en/themes/press_releases/3_automotive_group/powertrain/press_releases/pr_2010_06_16_getriebesteuerungen_en.html

Figured BW does most of the DSG stuff for Audi.

wwhan
08-08-2013, 07:52 PM
Figured BW does most of the DSG stuff for Audi.

Not sure how much electronics Borg Warner does.

Allegedly Borg Warner licensed the DSG technology to VAG who developed the transmission in Inglestat & builds
the 0B5 DL501 at the Kassel plant in Germany.

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/356141-Details-about-the-Seven-speed-dual-clutch-gearbox-0B5-S-tronic-%28DL501%29 (http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/356141-Details-about-the-Seven-speed-dual-clutch-gearbox-0B5-S-tronic-%28DL501%29)

http://www.volkswagenag.com/content/vwcorp/info_center/en/themes/2008/01/the_7speed_dsg.html

tins5
08-08-2013, 08:28 PM
Just got a resolution to my DSG, for now. My dealer reflashed my transmission with the "latest software" and it does seem to shift smoother and the "falling out of gear" has not recurred yet. They have reflashed my transmission before, but they went off of the TSB which according to them loaded software version 8. This time, they loaded the newest software, which is version 12. I'm pretty happy for now and I guess I'll hold off on trading in my car for a 6MT... for now at least [:D] Let's see if the problem comes back

BTW, I have to thank them for giving me an base A4 while my car was in the shop... I appreciate my car sooo much more now!

theKB
08-08-2013, 11:29 PM
Not sure how much electronics Borg Warner does.

Allegedly Borg Warner licensed the DSG technology to VAG who developed the transmission in Inglestat & builds
the 0B5 DL501 at the Kassel plant in Germany.

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/356141-Details-about-the-Seven-speed-dual-clutch-gearbox-0B5-S-tronic-%28DL501%29 (http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/356141-Details-about-the-Seven-speed-dual-clutch-gearbox-0B5-S-tronic-%28DL501%29)

http://www.volkswagenag.com/content/vwcorp/info_center/en/themes/2008/01/the_7speed_dsg.html

That second link is for the FWD or transverse mounted motors. I do believe that zF is actually the company producing the 7spd longitudinal transmissions.

SwankPeRFection
08-08-2013, 11:34 PM
I'm sure that once enough people get pissed about the new DSG issues there will be another Class Action that will happen just like it did for the CVTs a while back.

theKB
08-09-2013, 09:45 AM
I'm sure that once enough people get pissed about the new DSG issues there will be another Class Action that will happen just like it did for the CVTs a while back.

Not so sure, the transverse DSG recall was massive and they extended the warranty to ten years after there was an NHTSA investigation and they fixed units largely tuned or not. The new TD1 crap Audi is starting to push away people and blaming "the tuners" even though arguably these failures are happening on tuned and stock cars as they seem to be releasing TSB's regularly for these transmissions.

Wouldn't hurt for american's (we don't have this sort of thing in Canada) that have had the issue to file a complaint with the NHTSA if you have had DSG issues. This will at least force an investigation into this and potentially get the warranty extended.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/index.xhtml

KayS4
08-09-2013, 11:09 AM
I second that we need to start making this a known concern. They have put these DSG in the R8's I could only imagine the hell it would raise in the R8 Community if they were faced with these concerns!

thebc
08-09-2013, 11:13 AM
I second that we need to start making this a known concern. They have put these DSG in the R8's I could only imagine the hell it would raise in the R8 Community if they were faced with these concerns!

Are you sure it's the identical unit? I know they are using a 7 speed DSG, but didn't think it was the same model as the S4's.

Thomas@TAI-VW
08-09-2013, 11:51 AM
You won't see any problems over there since most R8's are only driven a few thousand miles a year. Look on ebay,most 2008-2009 R8s have 4-10K miles on them!

KayS4
08-09-2013, 01:09 PM
STronic replaced the RTronic in the 2013 models and up. I am sure it is very similar if not identical.

wwhan
08-09-2013, 05:41 PM
That second link is for the FWD or transverse mounted motors. I do believe that zF is actually the company producing the 7spd longitudinal transmissions.

If you check out the first link with the image from Audi specifications indicates the DL501 is built in Kassel, Germany.

The ZF transmissions have different numbering system; http://www.zf.com/corporate/en/products/product_range/cars/cars_7_speed_dual_clutch_transmission.shtml

http://jonchin.smugmug.com/Audi-Club-Singapore-Official/LUK-CVT-Technolo/DL501-Picture-1/737608566_CfsgX-L.jpg

Leor604
08-09-2013, 06:18 PM
If Audi is truly going to discontinue MT availability in the B9, they had better get their DSG (and EPS) shit together. With the current state of affairs, if the choice is DSG or nothing Audi will not be on my shopping list.

tins5
08-11-2013, 04:55 AM
God only knows the plans it had for my 2011 DSG S4. But I guess the next owner will find out. Traded it in today for a 2013 CPO 6MT. Save the manuals! Good luck guys

SwankPeRFection
08-11-2013, 08:59 AM
550nm torque capacity at 9k huh? Does that mean it can handle more than that at less than 9k RPMs? Cuz we're in a world of hurt otherwise since 405ft/p is nothing with these engines.

SwankPeRFection
08-12-2013, 07:49 AM
Everyone that had problem and posted in this thread needs to please cast your vote in this poll. http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/554226-DSG-Issues-Vote-On-Climate-Traffic-Problem

Thanks

theKB
08-12-2013, 05:48 PM
Everyone that had problem and posted in this thread needs to please cast your vote in this poll. http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/554226-DSG-Issues-Vote-On-Climate-Traffic-Problem

Thanks

I drive a lot of short distances and done regularly experience traffic. I believe the survey you set up is a bit too vague.

SwankPeRFection
08-12-2013, 08:50 PM
I drive a lot of short distances and done regularly experience traffic. I believe the survey you set up is a bit too vague.

The poll I set up has to do with the guidelines laid out by the March recall Audi/VW issued in Asia. That's what triggered it.

Sure, I could have included the years of B8 or B8.5 in there, but people can just as easily comment in the thread as well after the cast their vote.

Sukks2bu
10-24-2013, 08:07 AM
I know there are a lot of threads on this matter, but could all who have posted here who have had mechatronic issues please leave your info on this link.
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/565184-Have-you-had-a-Bad-mechatronic-or-transmission-Please-post

Thanks

Blackhawk878
10-24-2013, 09:20 AM
I know there are a lot of threads on this matter, but could all who have posted here who have had mechatronic issues please leave your info on this link.
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/565184-Have-you-had-a-Bad-mechatronic-or-transmission-Please-post

Thanks

Why don't you just reference Swanks poll thread? Listed in post 208, http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/554226-DSG-Issues-Vote-On-Climate-Traffic-Problem

paul
11-28-2013, 07:51 AM
FYI there's a TSB on 2010-2012 S4s to replace a component within the trans. No longer a replace the entire unit, they're authorized to remove, open, replace part, reassemble.

SwankPeRFection
11-28-2013, 07:55 AM
FYI there's a TSB on 2010-2012 S4s to replace a component within the trans. No longer a replace the entire unit, they're authorized to remove, open, replace part, reassemble.

Post the TSB please. Wonder if it's the one to replace the mech unit. Some dealerships would do it and others indicated they weren't allowed to and had to get entire trans replaced. If it's not that one, then something new may have been found.

paul
11-28-2013, 10:24 AM
It's not the mechatronic. I will pm you when I get home

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

AudiB8S4
11-28-2013, 11:05 AM
TSBs

Date: 2013-06-17 Bulletin #: TSB-37-13-08

Compenent: 100000 POWER TRAIN

AUDI: SOME VEHICLE MAY EXPERIENCE GEARBOX LIMP MODE. THE ISSUE CANNOT BE REPRODUCED ITH A TEST DRIVE, IT IS INTERMITTENT. DTC P17E1 AND DFCC 9473 ARE STORED IN THE TRANSMISSION MODULE. *JS

paul
11-28-2013, 11:14 AM
It's different than that one.

Reference Number(s): GROUP 35, NO. 12-08

riegeraudi
11-28-2013, 12:55 PM
If Audi is truly going to discontinue MT availability in the B9, they had better get their DSG (and EPS) shit together. With the current state of affairs, if the choice is DSG or nothing Audi will not be on my shopping list.

+1 The problem with Audi or VAG in general is they don't back up the product. If they said we understand that there is a problem with the DSG and offered us 10year warranty for the DSG than I wouldn't hesitate to trade in for another one but Audi is basically saying screw off after they sell it to you.

coolwater
06-02-2014, 07:24 PM
Almost 19k on the dial and the transmission decides to die on me.
Temps hit almost 90 this afternoon, so it may be related to overheating.

So at 3pm today I started the car and pulled out of the driveway.
I immediately got the Transmission Gear Icon and You can keep driving. The car was real jerky shifting.
I then park it in the street and charge up my laptop to do a scan.

30 mins later I scan the car and this:

Address 01: Engine (J623-CGXC) Labels: None
Part No SW: 8K5 907 551 E HW: 4G0 907 551 A
Component: 3.0l V6 TFSIH07 0002
Revision: --H07---
Coding: 0A250034052608060000
Shop #: WSC 06208 000 00000
ASAM Dataset: EV_ECM30TFS0218K5907551E 001002
VCID: 387536398348AA9

No ASAM data for: "EV_ECM30TFS0218K5907551E" (AU48)
No fault code found.
Readiness: 0000 0000

Address 02: Auto Trans (J217) Labels: 0B5-927-156.clb
Part No SW: 8K2 927 156 M HW: 0B5 927 156 J
Component: 0B5 30TFSINAR H01 0006
Revision: --H01---
Coding: 000001
ASAM Dataset: EV_TCMDL501021 001010
ROD: EV_TCMDL501021_AU48.rod
VCID: 40855ED9DB98E29

2 Faults Found:
17598 - Selector Lever Sensor
P179E 00 [175] - Electrical Malfunction
MIL ON - Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear
Freeze Frame:
Mileage: 29740 km
Date: 2014.06.02
Time: 15:25:58

8126 - ROD - Unknown Error Code
- BE [109]
Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear
Freeze Frame:
Mileage: 29740 km
Date: 2000.00.00
Time: 00:00:00

I figure ok, let me get it to the dealership before they close at 6pm so they can check it out.
I make a turn out from my street and bam, the transmission goes haywire. Jerking like crazy.
This time TPMS and Gear Icon show up, but it says put the car in Park and turn off immediately.

I try to restart a couple of times and no dice. Call Audi roadside and they can't get me to the dealership before close.
So I decide to try and put in neutral and get some help to push it back into driveway. No Dice.

Call a tow truck, waiting 2 hrs to bring me half a block home....
I give it another restart after letting the car cool for 15 mins and the thing is able to move now.

$hit don't make sense and I'm going to have it towed to dealer first thing in the AM.

Anyone know how to read the vagscan? Is it just a sensor or does the whole tranny need to be replaced?
TPMS alert is still there, but transmission error is now gone..... WTF...

-cW

SwankPeRFection
06-02-2014, 09:52 PM
Leave it alone, don't erase the codes. They'll be stored. Those should be the codes for the drive range sensor failure which has a TSB for it failing and what they'll need to do to change it out. There's a post on here with the specific which states even what codes to look for before the TSB even applies. If it does, expect at least a week's downtime. They have to tear it completely apart... The DSG that is, to get to the part they need to swap.

SwankPeRFection
06-02-2014, 10:01 PM
Just looked it up P179E is definitely the primary code needed for the TSB, however, the other doesn't match up. More than likely, they'll call Audi TAC and they'll tell them it's probably the same failure for the TSB to apply, but also check other issues too. TSB is 2032211.

coolwater
06-03-2014, 03:52 AM
Thanks for the info swank.
I'm just glad this happened near home rather than on a road trip.

-cW

RudyH
06-03-2014, 05:20 AM
550nm torque capacity at 9k huh? Does that mean it can handle more than that at less than 9k RPMs? Cuz we're in a world of hurt otherwise since 405ft/p is nothing with these engines.

(405 x 9,000) / 5,252 = 700 hp????

Although it doesn't necessarily scale down precisely, is there anyone even running anything close at this point?
I think it would be more interesting to find out if there are any clutch packs we can upgrade to. TCU upgrades are no question at this point.

drob23
06-03-2014, 05:43 AM
Damn, this is a huge fear with this car, was hoping they had sorted the B8.5 DSG out....let us know how it goes please!

I don't think torque/HP handling is the problem, biggest failure mode seems to be heat generation during low speed creep in humid conditions, and other situations where the clutch slips.

Here's a thought, and might be a dumb one: would it make sense to change the DSG fluid more frequently? Any reason to believe fresh fluid would help the system improve the heat dissipation etc?

coolwater
06-03-2014, 06:42 AM
It was definitely hotter than usual yesterday and the car had been sitting in the sun in my driveway.
I'm at the dealership now and they were not at all surprised when I mentioned what happened...
Must be a batch of bad circuit boards/sensors... or maybe the fluid needs to be changed.

Hopefully I can get this resolved asap as I'm planning road trips soon...

-cW

drob23
06-03-2014, 07:18 AM
It was definitely hotter than usual yesterday and the car had been sitting in the sun in my driveway.
I'm at the dealership now and they were not at all surprised when I mentioned what happened...
Must be a batch of bad circuit boards/sensors... or maybe the fluid needs to be changed.

Hopefully I can get this resolved asap as I'm planning road trips soon...

-cW

Here's the thing I don't get: I understand it was hotter than usual, however, you said this happened when you *first* pulled out of your driveway. So in that sense, it's not like the trans had heated up like it might during some serious bumper to bumper traffic in hot humid conditions.

Can you say with certainty this is the first time you've experienced abnormal behavior in your trans?
What are most of your drives like? Commuting a lot, low speed traffic etc?
Do you shift yourself often or let it shift in 'D' mode? Reason I ask is because the auto program in 'D' mode really likes to short shift and hunt for the higher gears, which in my mind must involve more clutch slip, and consequently, more heat. Especially while creeping in traffic.

Sorry to hear of your troubles and hopefully gets sorted out soon.

coolwater
06-03-2014, 08:09 AM
I drive thru some of the worst roads in NYC and do about 1k miles a month.
Short trips in stop and go traffic daily and a 4-5 long road trips of 600-700 miles since ownership.

As far as weird transmission behavior, I do get some weird transmission lurch here and there in stop and go traffic.
Basically when slowing down at low speeds the car feels like it lurches 6 inches more than expected.
I've gotten used to it.

-cW

coolwater
06-03-2014, 05:59 PM
Bad mechatronics unit.
Waiting on parts. Driving a POS 107hp Nissan versa right now.

-cW

Blackhawk878
06-03-2014, 06:01 PM
Bad mechatronics unit.
Waiting on parts. Driving a POS 107hp Nissan versa right now.

-cW

A Versa!! WTF. They couldn't do any better than that?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Mantis
06-11-2014, 01:45 PM
My Mech unit has been bumping and exhibiting the dreaded 2-1 bump shift that causes the car to lurch forward 1' when coming to a stop. Recently as the temperature increased this condition seemed to be getting worse, add to that I began getting the gear symbol and reduced RPM's due to high Mech clutch temp. This issue manifests itself after stop and go traffic in moderate to warm days (10C-15C) then park the car for a short period of time (30min) then the first 1/3 pedal acceleration the code pops up.

I have the car at the dealer for service, I have an aftermarket warranty that is covering the repair, but the warranty company is sending an adjuster before any work begins, glad my car is not TD1 and has no appearance mods at this time. The dealer will be updating all software and replacing the temp sensor this go round, I have a feeling I may be back in the future for a new Mech unit. My SA was nice enough to get me into a 14 A6 TDI Teknik while I am waiting for the return of my S4. I don't mind the size, in fact it makes me regret not saving up for a couple more months and buying the S6 instead

SwankPeRFection
06-11-2014, 01:57 PM
That's probably not going to help Mantis. It's a physical failure of the part, not software that causes this issue. They'll have to break down and replace the entire unit with the new revision to fix it. Shame really because in their wisdom or lack thereof to save money, they'll actually pay more in labor to go in there twice and not to mention ~$300 just for fluid alone. [facepalm] That SA/Tech is either wanting to milk the warranty company or they just don't know the appropriate fix for this because its their first one... hard to believe that with almost all 2010 DSGs having done this... at least a good % of them. Sooner or later they all bite it.

NWS4Guy
06-11-2014, 02:33 PM
(405 x 9,000) / 5,252 = 700 hp????

Although it doesn't necessarily scale down precisely, is there anyone even running anything close at this point?
I think it would be more interesting to find out if there are any clutch packs we can upgrade to. TCU upgrades are no question at this point.

There are upgradable clutch packs, they are about $2k, and ironically support 700hp, though in reality, it's direct TQ that matters, not HP so much.

Mantis
06-11-2014, 02:40 PM
I am fully aware of the proper repair, I have suggested that the Mech unit requires replacement, but the Audi Master Tech disagrees. I am not sure if they are trying to soak the warranty company or not, and frankly it doesn't concern me, as long as I am not out of pocket and have a suitable replacement driver.

Now we just wait and see, I have a feeling the warranty company is a little pissed, I have never had them insist on sending out a warranty claim adjuster in a situation like this

coolwater
06-11-2014, 02:43 PM
I guess I'll update in this thread.
Car is still in the shop now for the 2nd DSG failure in a week.
So far it's a bad solenoid in the transmission.

Might be getting a whole new DSG now.

-cW

coolwater
06-12-2014, 08:43 AM
Confirmed new tranny on order.
I'm worried to take this car on a road trip now.
I've been driving over 20 years and never had a car die like this.

Does Audi Roadside cover highway towing?

This is just so "fuct" and terrible timing since I'm moving soon.

-cW

iBleedOrange
06-12-2014, 10:34 AM
Which dealership is your car at?

-cW

drob23
06-12-2014, 10:37 AM

-cW

They are replacing the entire trans, so I kind of doubt the issue will linger. Now whether or not it will resurface in another 20k miles with the same driving habits is a completely different story....

Pretty sure Audi roadside will cover towing to the nearest Audi dealership (where they'd give you a loaner or make you get a rental), but I doubt it covers towing the car 500 miles to your new home. They would then fix it where ever it was towed to, and make arrangements for you to get the car back. Assume they would go out of their way to make you happy in the end. Source: read about the same thing happening to some guy on the F30 board (BMW seems to have worse customer service than Audi from what I read there).

SwankPeRFection
06-12-2014, 01:18 PM

-cW

New trans is a god save. Go with it. I don't know why you're worried about that and weren't worried about them just changing a part in it. A new box is way better. Those with B8's and new trans replacements have been pretty quiet.

Mantis
06-12-2014, 02:37 PM
Parts are on order for my dsg, the master tech agrees that this is most likely not the fix all for it. Seems like the warranty company is willing to take a chance on it, most likely they will have it back within a week or two for the correct action

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

coolwater
06-12-2014, 04:01 PM
Was hoping they'd assist with a trade for a new vehicle.
I guess having the car flat bedded twice in a week and almost getting into an accident has got me miffed...

I'm just going to pickup a new Forester for the long road trips. Keep the S for my daily commute.

-cW

Nixon_S4
06-12-2014, 06:39 PM
My mechatronic unit was just replaced yesterday and I must admit it's night and day. I too was hit by multiple error codes and limp mode. I believe the software was also updated to the latest version as per recommended by @SwanPeRFection in another thread. Downshifts are much smoother in dynamic mode but ine downside is that the typical burp when shifting in dynamic mode is now more tame. An exhaust will solve that in the future.

Service was great from the dealership, a fresh breeze coming from Subaru. I feel like I have a brand new car and I'm ready to go stage 2 now that this is cleared :)

Sukks2bu
06-13-2014, 06:53 AM
Hopefully picking mine up today after mech replacement. I can't wait, I miss my car so much. A4 just doesn't cut it, even thought its brand new.

SwankPeRFection
06-13-2014, 07:54 AM
Hopefully picking mine up today after mech replacement. I can't wait, I miss my car so much. A4 just doesn't cut it, even thought its brand new.

Call them up before you go to get it and make sure they applied the 24AS campaign to it. It's an ECU update for drivability... I think you may like it. Very smooth for now, in my experience.

Sukks2bu
06-13-2014, 10:45 AM
Call them up before you go to get it and make sure they applied the 24AS campaign to it. It's an ECU update for drivability... I think you may like it. Very smooth for now, in my experience.

Yes, it has been applied and the dsg filter you spoke of at no extra charge. Good service here in Canada.

Mantis
06-20-2014, 02:23 PM
I picked my car up yesterday, I have been beating on it and trying to have it throw the codes again but it seems to be a complete different car to drive. No more thump for 2-1 shifts, no more lazy delayed 1-2 and 2-3 shifts. My fuel mileage has more than doubled and I am pushing it.

Seems like the repair was at least a step in the right direction.

Also had the 24as campaign applied as well as updated TCU programming

s4buckeye
06-20-2014, 06:17 PM
your fuel mileage doubled?

Sent from my iPhone

Mantis
06-20-2014, 06:50 PM
Yes, I was getting 300km to a full tank, averaging 16L/100km, it is now reading 7.6L/100km, I have gone 200km and used less than a third of a tank

Brava
06-22-2014, 01:33 PM
I have an RS5, 34k miles.
Today, I switched it off after a 20 minutes spirited drive, no error, all fine. After half an hour, I went driving it again , started the engine and gearbox malfunction, I couldn't move the car as it didn't select any gear, stayed in neutral. I tried switching it on and off, hoping the error will clean, but with no success. So I left it parked for the next two hours and when I tried again all was fine, I was able to drive it, no longer the error.

However, I went for another 10 minutes spirited drive, everything is fine, gear shifting is nice. After I turned off the engine, at the next immediat attempt to drive it, again gearbox malfunction and cannot select any gear, stays in neutral. After I let it for two hours, again car runs fine.

Looks like gearbox overheats and go limp mode. Tomorrow will send it to the dealer to read the error codes.

I hope it's nothing expensive, as the car is outside warranty.

Nixon_S4
06-23-2014, 09:38 AM
Well,

After the mechatronic unit was replaced roughly three weeks ago, I've been experiencing some issues ever since. First, I had a max 4000 rpm notice in the dash with the EPC light on, which disappeared after restarting the car. I thought this was just tome random code.

Shortly after, the car came to a complete stop right in the middle of the highway... during rush hour. I was able to turn off the car and start it back right after. You'll understand I was very lucky not to get rear-ended at over 50 MPH and that I was alone in the car, as I have a one-year old daughter and my wife's pregnant. Freaky, you'll agree.

This morning, the car would simply not start at all. Started was doing its job, battery is just fine but the engine wouldn't fire. As I was waiting for roadside assist, the car finally started so I drove to the dealership.

Bottom line is the car is currently being inspected as the issue seems to be related to the mechatronic unit that was just replaced. My SA is telling me they're looking into it to determine if the problem is related to some technician's bad job or a faulty unit.

Things are adding up and I'm getting very, very frustrated.

Sukks2bu
06-23-2014, 11:25 AM
Well,

After the mechatronic unit was replaced roughly three weeks ago, I've been experiencing some issues ever since. First, I had a max 4000 rpm notice in the dash with the EPC light on, which disappeared after restarting the car. I thought this was just tome random code.

Shortly after, the car came to a complete stop right in the middle of the highway... during rush hour. I was able to turn off the car and start it back right after. You'll understand I was very lucky not to get rear-ended at over 50 MPH and that I was alone in the car, as I have a one-year old daughter and my wife's pregnant. Freaky, you'll agree.

This morning, the car would simply not start at all. Started was doing its job, battery is just fine but the engine wouldn't fire. As I was waiting for roadside assist, the car finally started so I drove to the dealership.

Bottom line is the car is currently being inspected as the issue seems to be related to the mechatronic unit that was just replaced. My SA is telling me they're looking into it to determine if the problem is related to some technician's bad job or a faulty unit.

Things are adding up and I'm getting very, very frustrated.

Stick with it, I just had my Mech unit replaced, and for the first time since i bought the car, I am really enjoying it.
Once they get it together, You will be happy and its worth the wait and frustration.