PDA

View Full Version : DIY: Replacing the Fuel Filter

Sal_B7
02-24-2010, 09:10 PM
This is my first DIY im posting up so i hope its good. Service manual says to switch fuel filter at 55K.

Tools:
1. Flathead screwdriver
2. T25 Torx bit
3. 10 mm socket
4. Rachet (I used a driver) Dont need the driver at all but i just got it a couple of weeks ago and wanted to use it! lol
5. Rag
6. Some sort of container (in case any fuel spills while you make the switch)

Time:
Took me about 40 minutes for the switch. First time always takes long. Probably do it in 20 min. next time.

Difficulty:
On a scale of 1-5 i would say this is a 2. Not hard to do at all.

Get your tools.
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c281/warrior62_00/Audi/P2240707.jpg

Jack, the right side of your car up.

Unscrew the 2 T25 screws near the mud flap.
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c281/warrior62_00/Audi/P2240684.jpg

Grab the 10 mm socket and rachet and unbolt nut. Its a plastic nut so be careful.
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c281/warrior62_00/Audi/P2240685.jpg

With the 10 mm socket again loosen this thing,not sure what to call it. (circled in blue) It wont come off but you need to loosen it so the plastic piece will come off. After that grab your flathead and pop off that plastic clip.
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c281/warrior62_00/Audi/P2240686-1.jpg

Once you remove the plastic cover you will have full access to the fuel filter.
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c281/warrior62_00/Audi/P2240687.jpg

Notice the 2 hoses going into the inlet of the fuel filter. We will get to that T25 bolt in a lil bit.
There is 1 outlet hose.
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c281/warrior62_00/Audi/P2240692.jpg

At this point you want to get the green plugs that came with your new fuel filter. They will come in handy.
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c281/warrior62_00/Audi/P2240698.jpg

With your flathead screwdriver press on the clip (white part) and slowly pull out the hose but not all the way. Remember the green caps from the new filter? Use one to plug the end of the filter that you are about to pull. (Remember, its pressurized so some fuel might dump out.
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c281/warrior62_00/Audi/P2240693.jpg

You might spill some fuel but use your rag and small container to catch any fuel.

Now with the same method use the screwdriver to push clips on the other 2 hoses. (Push clip and pull hose out) Remember to have green plugs handy to plug the filter tips.
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c281/warrior62_00/Audi/P2240691.jpg

The top hose has the blue button. Get to it from the other side.
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c281/warrior62_00/Audi/P2240694.jpg

Now once all the hoses are off and filter tips plugged. Grab your T25 and to unbolt the the filter from the holder.
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c281/warrior62_00/Audi/P2240689-1.jpg

Put the new filter in hook up hoses and put everything back together. When you put the hoses back on you will here it clip.

At this point, once everything is back on and all 4 wheels are on the floor, you will need to get fuel back through the lines. I opened the door a few times and put the key in the ignition and turned it to the "on" position. Go back and forth a few times so the lines can bring fuel to the motor. I turned it over a few times but the car died out. It will eventually start up once the fuel reaches the motor.

Thats All!! [wrench]

Any questions or concerns feel free ask or point out anything that might be helpful or if i missed anything.

xULx
02-24-2010, 09:24 PM
Thanks Sal. I will be doing this in 10k.

illegitimus
02-25-2010, 04:43 AM
Nice job on the DIY! I've had the new filter sitting here and waiting to go in. I am glad that special tool isn't required. I will be doing this at my next oil change.

Sal_B7
02-25-2010, 11:16 AM
Thanks! And no problem Just doing what i can to help the community.

Zacko
02-25-2010, 11:20 AM
I had just ordered my fuel filter a couple of days ago, and now I have a nice DIY to reference. Thanks and good work. You just made my life that much easier!

EDIT: Nice epoxy'd floor too!

brownishwater
02-25-2010, 11:25 AM
I thought I read somewhere that these were "lifetime" fuel filters.

Looks easy enough though. Thanks for the writeup!

Sal_B7
02-25-2010, 11:28 AM
^^someone else thought that as well. Im sure its in the service manual. I was told to do it at 55K so i did.

Yeah its simple, a caveman can do it. lol

rensho
02-25-2010, 12:36 PM
Thanks for giving back to AZ. The pics are great.

cjnesher
02-25-2010, 01:03 PM
Very cool! I'll be doing this in under 4k. If I was still in San Diego I'd buy you a double double ANIMAL STYLE!

naiku
02-25-2010, 01:13 PM
Nice job on the DIY! I've had the new filter sitting here and waiting to go in. I am glad that special tool isn't required. I will be doing this at my next oil change.

Same here, I have had the filter sitting in my garage for a couple months now and not gotten around to actually changing it. Glad to see that it is as easy as I had previously read and that the tool is not really needed. Pictures are also a huge help!

B72.0T
02-25-2010, 01:54 PM
Good work

Blarg
02-25-2010, 04:09 PM
Awesome writeup, thank you!

minameismud
02-26-2010, 05:43 AM
* needs to be added to the b7 FAQ sticky

Sal_B7
02-26-2010, 07:48 AM
Thanks again everyone. Hope it does get added. That was the point of making it.

CJ- next time your in SD hit me up! lol

outlaw77
02-26-2010, 08:54 AM
great write up and I'm definetly going to do this now that I know how to do it with ths car. Any idea how the old filter looked inside? Did you notice any difference in the performance of the car after?

Sal_B7
02-26-2010, 12:24 PM
Well the filter is inside of the aluminum container. I actually cut it open so i can see if there was anything out of the norm. Filter was fine. I dont recommend anyone doing this cause its going to smell like gas! I dont mind it when im fueling up at the gas station but not when my whole garage smells like it.

As far as power wise i think my LP fuel pump inside the tank is going out. When i logged my car before i did the filter something was up with the LP pump. Getting that inspected pretty soon. So hopefully that fixes my little problem.

illegitimus
04-30-2010, 03:20 AM
Well the filter is inside of the aluminum container. I actually cut it open so i can see if there was anything out of the norm. Filter was fine. I dont recommend anyone doing this cause its going to smell like gas! I dont mind it when im fueling up at the gas station but not when my whole garage smells like it.

As far as power wise i think my LP fuel pump inside the tank is going out. When i logged my car before i did the filter something was up with the LP pump. Getting that inspected pretty soon. So hopefully that fixes my little problem. bumping the old thread, since fuel system is on my mind lately with low pressure thrust sensor going out on me a few weeks back... what were the symptoms that lead you to think your LP fuel pump was flaking out? did you have it replaced or replaced it yourself?

colt45
04-30-2010, 04:25 AM
great DIY write up. going to get a new fuel filter soon for when I change my oil.

Sal_B7
04-30-2010, 07:50 AM
bumping the old thread, since fuel system is on my mind lately with low pressure thrust sensor going out on me a few weeks back... what were the symptoms that lead you to think your LP fuel pump was flaking out? did you have it replaced or replaced it yourself?

Well i did some minor logging and noticed that my car wasnt getting the fuel it needed. Sent my logs to APR and they said it might be that pump. I took it to my mechanic and he said that it could be the LP sensor on the HPFP itself. I changed that out. Did a few short pulls and noticed that it felt a little stronger so i thought all was good to go. Took it back to PureMS for some more quick data logging and that sensor did help but i was still not reaching full potential. Havent done anything much about it yet as it does not affect daily driving. Need to do some further logging and have Mike at PureMS try to pinpoint the exact problem. Will do that in May hopefully.

Colt- Thanks.

Matt@EuropaParts
04-30-2010, 08:55 AM
Nice writeup. If anyone needs a new fuel filter, we have them in stock (http://www.europaparts.com/fuel-filter-4f0201511e-mann.html)

Blarg
05-01-2010, 09:05 AM
Thanks for the diy, you made it really easy to replace the fuel filter!

Stewy
05-01-2010, 09:40 AM
Good job on the DIY man.

illegitimus
05-01-2010, 03:34 PM
Well i did some minor logging and noticed that my car wasnt getting the fuel it needed. Sent my logs to APR and they said it might be that pump. I took it to my mechanic and he said that it could be the LP sensor on the HPFP itself. I changed that out. Did a few short pulls and noticed that it felt a little stronger so i thought all was good to go. Took it back to PureMS for some more quick data logging and that sensor did help but i was still not reaching full potential. Havent done anything much about it yet as it does not affect daily driving. Need to do some further logging and have Mike at PureMS try to pinpoint the exact problem. Will do that in May hopefully.

Colt- Thanks.

got it... by logging do you mean measuring the fuel pressure? btw, I did replace my fuel filter just now. it was cake. great DIY. I noticed that to pop the center inlet hose it is easier when you loosen the filter bracket to drop the filter just a bit, since it is somewhat obstructed by the fuel tank.

Tusin
05-16-2010, 04:37 PM
Thank you for the DIY, just got done doing mine. I can't really add anything to yours. The ONLY thing I had a hard time with was that damn plastic tab (the one you pry off). Not sure WTF, but it took me forever. I understand the design (pop the center piece out first), but that damn thing did not want to pop. I ended up spraying it (from the inside) with some silicone lube, and finally it came. Makes me sound like a freaking noob huh? Kind of pathetic;)

I ended up blowing the gas out of the old filter into a glass cup, and it was pretty dang clean. I am only at 40k.

Sal_B7
05-16-2010, 10:16 PM
got it... by logging do you mean measuring the fuel pressure? btw, I did replace my fuel filter just now. it was cake. great DIY. I noticed that to pop the center inlet hose it is easier when you loosen the filter bracket to drop the filter just a bit, since it is somewhat obstructed by the fuel tank.

Yeah you can measure lots of stuff by logging. Yeah you know, i think i did that same step your talking about. Not sure though. Thanks for that.

Thank you for the DIY, just got done doing mine. I can't really add anything to yours. The ONLY thing I had a hard time with was that damn plastic tab (the one you pry off). Not sure WTF, but it took me forever. I understand the design (pop the center piece out first), but that damn thing did not want to pop. I ended up spraying it (from the inside) with some silicone lube, and finally it came. Makes me sound like a freaking noob huh? Kind of pathetic;)

I ended up blowing the gas out of the old filter into a glass cup, and it was pretty dang clean. I am only at 40k.

No worries man, at least you got it. Sometimes things dont always work out the way you want it. Glad everything went well.

Tusin
05-16-2010, 10:25 PM
hahah yeah. I did a search mid way though, and know one made mention of having a hard time with that tab.

I am not a mechanic by any means. But I can turn a wrench (have done my coilovers, oil, diff fluids, valve cover gasket, pcv, tie rod end's,) stuff like that. And a dumb plastic tab was making me pull my hair out.....

Sal_B7
05-17-2010, 11:36 AM
^wow you got some good skills. Only i have ever done was the fuel filter, cam follower and oil change! Way more skills then me! But yeah its always that lil thing! ha ha

Leo14
05-17-2010, 10:26 PM
thanks a lot for this man, going to be doing this in 9k [up]

rensho
06-28-2010, 11:56 AM
Thanks for taking the time and pics to post this.

Since buying the car, 79k-85k(today), I've had a slight hesitation/surge during acceleration(i put in a new dv and apr flash, neither made a difference). Seems like the boost/fuel/timing drops off enough that the accel was far from linear. I'm talking about mild to medium accel. My fuel filter looked original, though i couldn't find a date code on it.

With my new filter, the accel is really smooth now. I had forgotten about the surge during the test drive, then it dawned on me. I tested for it, and it wasn't there. Just nice and smooth. I always thought it shouldn't be that way. I never had fuel cut, or anything weird at WOT.

I dumped all the fuel out of the filter from the IN side, and nothing came out that wasn't clear fuel. I didn't bother to cut it open.

That was just one quick test drive, so I'll keep an eye on it.

I'd suggest wearing safety glasses or looking away from the filter when you pop the lines, as fuel squirted right in my face and eyes. DOH!

LERecords
09-24-2010, 01:14 PM
quick question, im not going to have the whole tank of gas dump out after disconnecting the filter???

illegitimus
09-24-2010, 01:51 PM
quick question, im not going to have the whole tank of gas dump out after disconnecting the filter???

no, you'll get a couple of drips of fuel, that's all...

LERecords
09-24-2010, 01:53 PM
good to know. thanks..

Rommulus
09-24-2010, 04:19 PM
no, you'll get a couple of drips of fuel, that's all...

I opened the gas cap AND bled the valve on the back of the fuel rail to relieve all the pressure in the system and yes there was only a small amount of gas that came from the lines after they were unclipped. However, the old filter will be full of gas and if not kept level will drain about a cup or so. Even if you use the caps from the new filter, they will not hold all the gas in the old filter. Just a heads up...

LERecords
09-24-2010, 06:51 PM
thanks for the tip.. much appriciated..

ryanworth
10-31-2010, 03:14 PM
Just found this as I will be replacing mine at 85k. But bumping so that it can be added to the B7 DIY section. Good work Sal!

naiku
11-05-2010, 06:01 AM
So, maybe I procrastinated on this a bit!! haha finally going to change this at the weekend. One quick question though, do I need to relieve the fuel pressure in the same way as if I was removing the HPFP? (start car, remove fuse 28 until engine dies) or can I just open the fuel cap? Thanks.

Dangler
11-05-2010, 06:05 AM
I did this on my car and a buddies car a few months ago. His filter swapped out, nice and easy. Mine, one of the fitting was stuck and wouldn't come off, i even have the fuel line pliers from schwaben, they didn't help either. So i ended up having to cut the aluminum nipple off the fuel filter and pulling it out of the line with pliers.

All in all, this isn't that hard of a job,

naiku
11-05-2010, 06:24 AM
I did this on my car and a buddies car a few months ago. His filter swapped out, nice and easy. Mine, one of the fitting was stuck and wouldn't come off, i even have the fuel line pliers from schwaben, they didn't help either. So i ended up having to cut the aluminum nipple off the fuel filter and pulling it out of the line with pliers.

All in all, this isn't that hard of a job,

How did you relieve the fuel pressure though?

XCELR8
11-05-2010, 06:31 AM
^^ i started the car, pulled the fuel pump fuse, let the car die, then took the fuel cap off. Had no pressure and very little leakage.

Dangler
11-05-2010, 07:47 AM
How did you relieve the fuel pressure though?

i didn't, I just wore rubber gloves, eye protection and prayed...lol. Actually my car sat for 30 minutes while before i pulled lines. my friends car sprayed gas, but nothing crazy, because we went at it right after he pulled the car into the garage.

Stewy
11-05-2010, 09:13 PM
Good DIY. Thanks for posting.

naiku
11-08-2010, 06:20 AM
The ONLY thing I had a hard time with was that damn plastic tab (the one you pry off). Not sure WTF, but it took me forever. I understand the design (pop the center piece out first), but that damn thing did not want to pop. I ended up spraying it (from the inside) with some silicone lube, and finally it came. Makes me sound like a freaking noob huh? Kind of pathetic;)

Replaced mine no Saturday, WTF is with that plastic tab? I had everything else off within minutes, but that plastic tab just did not want to come out. In the end I broke the damn thing trying to get it off. Other than that an easy process, glad I saved the money on not buying the fuel line pliers, I only needed a screw driver for one of the clips, the others were easy to do.

oneovdabestyet
11-11-2010, 06:48 PM
how often is a fuel filter supposed to be changed???

Grada89
04-23-2011, 01:06 PM
Just curious...did you guys all use an OEM filter from the dealer or would a MANN fuel filter be fine to use?

Sal_B7
05-13-2011, 10:28 AM
^^I believe they are the makers of the fuel filter from the dealer. Im sure it will be fine.

shiro1745
09-16-2011, 08:06 PM
I just changed mine and I thought I'd show you what came out of the filter. I've only used V-power shell since 24k now it's at 80k.

http://i955.photobucket.com/albums/ae31/ciprianpatulea/2-1.jpg

http://i955.photobucket.com/albums/ae31/ciprianpatulea/1-2.jpg

srcrash715
10-15-2011, 08:47 AM
Great DIY, got it done in about 20 minutes thanks man. I had to break that tab off about 10 minutes of putting the filter in was that tab because I didnt want to break but I got p'oed and broke it lol

reggaemylitis
02-16-2012, 09:19 PM
great write up with pics! Just got around to doing this, and had the same issues with that damn plastic tab and the fuel line with the blue tab that didn't want to pop off after the other two came off fairly easily. I learned two things the hard way. 1. Make sure you put the green plastic caps from the new filter onto the old filter TIGHTLY before taking a break from the gas fumes for a bit after taking the first fuel line off, as the pressure from the other fuel lines could pop it off and empty the contents of the old filter onto your garage floor (awesome). 2. LIGHTLY use pliers on the fuel lines to get them off the filter if they are being stubborn at all. Spent 30 minutes trying to get that last line off gently by hand, when it came off in half a second after I barely used pliers on the connector to get it off.

drexplode
09-20-2012, 06:09 PM
Just completed on the RS4. Hardest part was re-installing the shield. Ugh!

Great write-up! Thanks.

LoKisSpYdR
01-06-2013, 11:16 AM
Great write-up! Thanks.

Pasquallies
04-19-2013, 05:40 PM
Doing this tomorrow with spark plugs and oil change

carguy138
04-28-2013, 05:49 AM
I did this yesterday and had a hell of a time getting the fittings off (broke one). Searched a bit but do I really need to drop the tank and replace the line or can I just replace the fitting?

http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B7_A4-Quattro-2.0T/Engine/Fuel/ES436458/ would this work?

JPT
05-01-2013, 04:06 PM
Thanks for the write up. I just changed mine. I was a little let down at how easy it was. Took me 5 minutes of work and 10 minutes to reverse on my rhino ramps and get my tools out. Too easy.

Oh for those who are having a hard time getting that clip out, you need the right tool. It was a little stiff, but very easy with this tool.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v703/JayPaulThompson/Forum/C60BBBC3-C4E6-4429-A71D-B5C1FB155609-3064-0000018F616289E9_zpsc13551e6.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

drumnjuny
05-01-2013, 04:47 PM
where did you get such a tool?

and what length is the width between the prongs of the furthest point on it? i figure i wanna get something similar

JPT
05-01-2013, 05:41 PM
It is all about the right tools. Use this kit to remove interior trim pieces safely...

http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B7_A4-Quattro-2.0T/Search/Trim/ES517779/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

drumnjuny
05-01-2013, 07:10 PM
thanks!

Jmdavis13
07-08-2013, 09:25 AM
Great guide thanks. Had no problem
Getting any of the parts off. I used a mix of a flat head screw driver and needle nose

kdotwright
11-21-2013, 04:32 PM
Can you do this with just simple jack. And stands?? Want to change next week

mec
11-23-2013, 06:28 PM
Yep. A jack and stands will work

wspeake
12-28-2013, 05:11 PM
I have an b7 convertible and there is brace and a brake line in the way..... Damn

brew_daugus
12-31-2013, 11:40 AM
DIY is great, only problem I had was that apparently a PO had it replaced and the plastic guard was held on by a bent clothes hanger :rolleyes:

betyouaint
06-24-2014, 06:26 PM
Cheers. Gonna do this at weekend. I'm at 117k and I don't think it's ever been done... [o_o]

betyouaint
06-28-2014, 08:29 AM
Job done. This DIY was a great help. I was lucky that cover around the dreaded plastic clip was already broken so I didn't have the hassle of having to remove it. The pipe fittings weren't too difficult either; I just used the Audi standard push on, squeeze clip, pull off method ,which worked well with the assistance of some needle-nose pliers. 20-30 minutes to do the job. I put the car on the ramps about an hour before I started the job to give chance for the fuel pressure to drop but still got a little spray when I popped the pressure lines. With the new filter fitted, I opened the driver's door and waited for the pump to stop running (around 10 seconds) before getting in and starting the engine. No hesitation, it fired up immediately.

When I was done I decided to drain the filter and cut it open and take a few photos. As you can see, the backwashed fuel from the filter is a little dirty but you might expect that after 117k. Ignore the shiny metal filings; they are from the sawing. And don't ask why I drained it into a half full water bottle, though it certainly highlights the contrast.

http://www.legoheads.com/photos/xsec-fuelfilter01.jpg

http://www.legoheads.com/photos/xsec-fuelfilter02.jpg

SprintBlueWorld
07-22-2014, 05:18 PM
Convertible owners WILL NOT have open access to the fuel filter after the cover is off. We have to contend with a bracing bar held in place with 2 10 millimeter 12 point bolts the second one closer to the rear is also held in place with a 16 millimeter nut. Only then will you have enough access to remove the connectors and the filter.

doughboy17
08-25-2014, 07:37 AM
Anyone who has changed their fuel filter and had challenges disconnecting the line fittings from the fuel filter,

Can you please advise whether you used the "Audi method" of disengaging the fittings -- pushing the fuel line connector toward the fuel filter; squeezing the connector; then pulling off the connector from the filter? Thanks.

As a supplement to this thread, ECS Tuning developed a nice video. The "Audi method" referred to above can be seen at 5:20
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zphJijkiIw